Sneeze Fetish Forum

Does anyone have any advice?

alyssa

Hi everyone,

Ever since I was about 4 (yes I realize that I'm only 16, but like 12 years is a long time for me) I have been determined that I am going to be a scientist. I absolutely adore science and find it soooo interesting but as I have started to look at what I will take at university and what jobs I will be able to get after that I have started to look more at math/business things such as actuarial sciences and accounting. I love math nearly as much as I love science and would be perfectly happy working with numbers all day (yes I know; I'm a complete nerd and proud of it!), not to mention that it is probably a far more secure job to work in accounting than in science... I'm one of these people who is terrified of risks and looking at the science teachers at my school I don't think that any of them intended to teach and while I understand that teaching is a very important profession I just couldn't do it. I don't like children and I do not have the patience and I'm just really scared that if I major in science I will end up as a teacher which is actually a nightmare for me. I am also very worried that if I go into science I will have trouble finding a job because in New Zealand there isn't a massive research field and because I would go to university here it would probably be very hard to find a job in a field where there aren't heaps of jobs in a different country after uni. I cannot bear risks or not knowing what is going to happen and for this reason I am beginning to think that accounting or something like that might be better for me but I don't really know at all...

I'm going to be in my second to last year of high school as of next week so this is getting pretty important to decide and I really would like some advice if anyone has anything to say or advice or personal experience with something like this. I'm not really sure what I'm even asking here but if anyone was able to sift through the freaking out and actually has anything to suggest what I should do to make up my mind then I would really really appreciate any advice anyone can give me...

I personally think trying to do something you're truly passionate about is worth all the risk in the world. We will always need scientists. Technology and medicine and things are improving every day, and we're going to need more and more people who understand how all that stuff works.

Worse comes to worse, maybe you get a job outside of New Zealand? But you'll be in a career that you enjoy. Better that than settling for something safer and spending all your time wishing you'd tried a different choice. Just my two cents! I say go for your dreams, always.

I agree with Murphy.D.

Having a job u enjoy is far more important than a lot of other things.

I mean, science is such a vast field (I know, maths is too) but there isnt just research to do. Medicine, pharmacy, biology, neurobiology, chemistry, theres so much, im sure u would have no problem getting a job in New Zealand.

But, if u did struggle, maybe u could move to mainland Aus.

Im a walking example of why you should do what u want.

All the way through college I kept dropping subjects and picking new ones up, just because I didnt know what I wanted to do. I started doing Sociology, Fine Art, English Language and Maths. Well, I dropped art, English and maths but picked up psychology and business studies in my 2nd year. I completed my second year and got a full A level in sociology, but only AS level in business studies and psychology (AS is only a half A level). Well, by this point I was bored of college and was sick of having no money so I dropped out to get a full time job in an office. Which I hated.

At this point I wanted to go to uni to do paramedic training. But no uni would take me cos Iv only got 1 A level. So I tried for nursing. Again, no luck. So im now stuck working in a call centre. I dont mind it, but its not what I want to do.

I know my experience is different, but if i'd have just stayed and finished my last year of college, I would probably have finished my paramedic training now.

So, what im trying to say, do what u love and what makes u happy. U will regret it when ur older and u have a medium paid boring job like mine. If u love science, then u do science girl :) dont end up like me!

I'm sorry, but, what do you mean there isn't any research to do in science?!

Look, I'll be frank. Science is difficult. You need to do crazy amounts of study if you want to do anything more than basically a glorified lab-monkey... But, trust me, there's so much around in science, and I hold the people that can do research in such high respect. I couldn't do it... I love the lab, don't get me wrong, but I'd go nuts without the me actually seeing the difference in the people I'm helping bit... It depends what you want to end up doing.

I think typically at the moment, most people will do their BSc (and most universities will allow you to take maths subjects with that! I mean, I had to do calculus as part of a BBmed), then Honours/some form of project, and work their way up through PhD, with a lot of scientists now even doing post-docs. Though, that is to eventually get to doing your own papers/research or lecturing/tutoring. So if you're coming out with just a Bachelor and looking for research positions... yes, I wish you luck. But, if you're really passionate about it, then more study I'd imagine would appeal to you - and then you get a LOT more freedom!

But... You are young. Hell, I'm young :P There is a lot of time ahead of you. My advice would be to go as broad as possible, work out what really interests you, and what jobs you'd look at from there. I started out - I'm in my final year - of a Bachelor of Biomedicine... And, after a few hiccups (like failing subjects...) I've still decided that I love my degree, that I want to do nursing/paramedicine or aim for Med... But, if I could do it again, I'd aim broader and just settle for a BSc.

And, as well... You say you don't want to travel now... But, a lot will change in the two years left of high school... Then 3 years for a Bachelor, and probably a year for Honours too? And, we Aussie's aren't that bad! We might tease you a little for how you say "six" or "fish and chips", but that's about it. We love you guys!

Also... Microbiology/Immunology/Genetics/Biochemistry have HUGE research potential... Things like anatomy and physiology, not so much. Keep in mind the specific fields.

... Sorry, it's 1 am and my thoughts aren't fitting into nice little organised paragraphs like usual (blame the creative side for that!)

Okay. Advice.

1. Do what you enjoy. Just a little school thing, but the dux of my year level did all Arts subjects that scale down at the end... She ended up with a TER of 99.50 out of a possible 99.95 (this is on a normal distribution too). You'll want to work more in the subjects you enjoy doing... whatever they are. And, don't be afraid of a little variety too, if that's what you enjoy... My favourite subject was Latin and, after scaling, ended up being my best score. My next was Maths Methods... :P

2. Remember that you have time. Things always change. So stay broad - because you have time to work out what it is that you want.

3. Don't discount things that are scary. Please. Especially for the future - because you don't know what will change in that time. But... I mean, if I played it safe my entire life, I wouldn't have met Telly Leung, or Julia Gillard. I wouldn't have my driver's licence. I wouldn't be doing my current course, have my amazing group of friends that I do now... And don't settle. Settling for things, I can tell you now, will only lead to years of disappointment down ahead. One of my biggest regrets is not flying up to Queensland for a Med interview - because I was scared of the possibility of having to move interstate. And I do have the best group of friends - but I always wonder, what if? What if I had gone? And gotten in? I could be doing Medicine right now... I wouldn't be in my current situation.

4. Remember that we're just people writing letters and making words. Your gut is going to be the most important thing - so make sure you listen to it, okay?

5. ... Nah, I'm out for the moment (it's 1 am!) but, I like the number 5 more than the number 4, so, you get this useless dotpoint.

Sorry, I know that's a lot to sift through yourself! But, I hope some of that helps... And, if you want to ask or chat about anything, I'm always around :-)

Thanks a lot for the encouragement everyone! I was kind of freaking out 'cause my older sister was having to fill in all her paperwork for Uni the other day and my mom has been trying to talk me into looking at other stuff besides science for a while because as far as she knows other countries would prefer to take their own students over foreigners but I know that moving elsewhere would definitely be a possibility. It's nice to know that there are options elsewhere although i'm not hugely into medicine (like medication etc, i'm all for the bio mechanics field) because quite honestly it terrifies me and my parents have been telling me for ages that if I do science it's gonna have to be in biology because that's where the new developments are and it was really scaring me because at heart I am a physics and chem nerd.. After hearing what you guys and talking to my school I am encouraged that I will stick with science as a first option :) I am taking accounting as a 7th subject so that I can have that as an option if something changes (and to stop my parents going on about it) but after the wonderful comments I am reassured that science should be an option should I still choose that in two years time! Thanks so much! :)

I see you already got awesome advice, so I won't try and add to that, but I do have to disagree with your parents on one point. Physics and chemistry are subjects that are very much alive.

If you decide to go into physics, you could end up in research subjects ranging from the climate to alternatives for the standard model. Develop more efficient solar panels, work on the borders between chemistry/biology/physics and so much more. I'm not so well versed in what is currently going on in other areas, but really, there is still more than enough research to do and you seem pretty motivated. I'd say hold on to that motivation and just go for what you love best. :)

If you don't pursue what you really want to do with everything you've got, you WILL regret it in the future.

What TheCake said; actually I know 2 people who went into physics and both have found really cool post-doc positions - abroad though, as this is a very small country, and there's more interesting research done elsewhere. And actually, some time ago I watched a documentary about people who create the programs for the mighty Wall Street Machine, some of those people come from theorethical physics and math; so obviously there's room to move about even later. No-one can force you to be a teacher.

I understand the fear though. I am very bad at taking risks myself and worry endlessly, although not enough to do something sensible anyway. But I really hope you wouldn't listen to your parents too much. After all your choice of a field of study will affect YOUR future, it's about YOUR life, not theirs. I know it can be very hard too if you're the sort of person who has trouble dismissing parental authority (I know I am). But I hope you could stay strong there. Physics is a beautiful thing. And with the looming energy crisis, probably more topical than we could think.

And one more thing... whatever you choose to study, graduating will probably be troublesome enough as it is; if you choose something you're not passionate about, you're more likely to drop out. So in that sense, following your passions is the "safe and sensible" thing to do.

Best of luck.

I feel ya. I'm in the same boat, myself. Personally, I don't think I've quite got the aptitude for the grander sciences. I'll probably go into computer science instead. Less glamorous, but it's a steady and guaranteed paycheck.

• 2 weeks later...

Go for it. There are few people in the world who are able to have a job they are passionate about...basically my advice is to start learning to put one foot in front of the other first. In other words the big picture is a scary thing, yeah. But all you have to do right now is focus on your current studies and taking the basics in college first. You need all the focus you have on that. No lie, science is a tough subject to pursue but you'll network with people like yourself in higher level classes and figure out if this is truly what you want to do with your life. Regardless, a strong basis in the sciences is a great stepping stone to a a lot of careers.

Hang in there and keep working hard, you definitely have the passion.

Archived