Sneeze Fetish Forum

Things that got you through a breakup, or a bad time

Heathcliff

I decided to take a week off from my usual Saturday night of smoking my pipe and reading Joyce (that's a joke, for anyone who doesn't realise) and tonight I've been drinking some wine and thinking about the past.

I remembered breaking up with my girlfriend a few years ago. At the time, I was quite upset about it; and one thing that really cheered me up was going to see, by myself, Hellboy 2: the Golden Army. smile.png

Now, that's not a bad film- in fact I think for a comic book film it's pretty damn good. But it seems a weird post-relationship movie... and I was just wondering if anyone would like to share an incongruous movie, song, or something else that helped you get through the end of a relationship or another bad time.

P.S.

I've just remembered another one! Before my final year university exams (which I got incredibly stressed about), I listened to Cat Stevens a lot... he's my favourite singer-songwriter Muslim convert ever! :)

Gaming. Gaming. Gaming.

Gaming has always been my escape from the real world. It serves that purpose for many, many people. It's a wonderful tool for getting away, as a well-made game requires so much of your concentration that you can't afford to let your mind wander without pausing, and even then, if the game is well-made that you won't want to.

Same principle as Mash outlined above with gaming........

........but in my case, sport. The outside world stops (or is on pause) when I play golf and I'm totally focussed on that for however long I'm playing it. Used to be the same with various other sports (which I no longer play) like tennis, badminton and especially snooker.

I would have to say music.

I was with my ex for 4 years (and when you're 20, that is a life time!!) so when we broke up, I was truly devastated.

Im a real saddo anyway (:P) and I always take the lyrics of songs I like and apply them to my own life, and this is what I did after the break up.

There were a few songs, but the main 2 that I would listen to over and over again were "Waiting" by City and Colour and "Waiting For The End" by Linkin Park.

Even now, when I miss my ex, I listen to them and feel a whole lot better.

But it works the other way round too. He once seranaded me on Valentine's Day with "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol and did the same with "I Could Die For You" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, so I cant listen to them now...

I was with my ex for 4 years (and when you're 20, that is a life time!!)

Not really, when you're 20, 20 years would be a lifetime :P

*ducks*

Gaming. Gaming. Gaming.

I remember once I found escape from the pain of break-up by shutting myself away and playing through the entire Prince of Persia trilogy (Sands of Time, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones). Prince of Persia games still cheer me up when I'm feeling down for some reason - maybe its the combination of the fantasy and the warm climate... :D

I remember once I found escape from the pain of break-up by shutting myself away and playing through the entire Prince of Persia trilogy (Sands of Time, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones). Prince of Persia games still cheer me up when I'm feeling down for some reason - maybe its the combination of the fantasy and the warm climate... biggrin.png

If you want a 'game' that does the exact opposite, try out the visual novel Katawa Shoujo.

That one was almost a tear jerker for me, and that's a fair accomplishment.

For the past decade or so my escapes have been- buying (food, stuff for the house, stuff for kidlets, clothes, etc), the 'net, and mindless TV watching (well- where you have to concentrate on the show but are just sort of zoning at the same time). Law & Order or L&O: CI, or House (in the seasons that I thought were truly worth watching).

Music is good- but generally only if I am totally alone and don't mind crying and junk.

Although... when I've been in "I hate men" phases in the past (I did invite a guy to an "I hate men" party that a couple of us gals had when we were experiencing frustration once- we all thought that he needed to be there)... anyway.... I'd listen to Alanis Morisette. LOL! Really and truly. Although even at my most frustrated I could NEVER listen to the entire albulm of "Jagged Little Pill" - you need some *serious* man-hate to do that. :bleh:

Pampering my self (hot bubble baths, facials, and endless nail painting), Netflix marathons, listening to Rolling in the Deep 15x in a row and singing along horribly off-key, and writing, writing, WRITING. I spent about a year writing over 200 pages worth of letters to my ex, telling him what I was going through and how I felt...I gave it to him right before I left for college and it really helped move on (well, start to move on, at least) because I knew that I had finally gotten it all off of my chest.

Stories. Reading them and writing them, or sometimes just make them up in my head.

Music. I started listening to rock music when I was feeling really bad over my job, something I never thought I'd like listening to. ^_^

Other than that, the forum. The people here, the stories and artwork, the community feeling. It's saved a the day more than once for me. :)

Same here; the forum peeps are always there for me and it's wonderful to know that~

Also, the best way for me to get rid of feels is to shut myself up in my room with some hot chocolate, bread, and my laptop and just write like a BAWSS. I will literally be in there for hours writing. It always feels so great afterwards, and I usually get some pretty good quality writing too lol

Archived