Sneeze Fetish Forum

Any teachers (or advisers)...I need your advice!

_Daisy_

As some of you may know, I am currently double majoring in English/Secondary Education. However, the job market for teachers really sucks right now (to put it bluntly), and I am absolutely terrified of coming out of school unable to find employment. Do you only need to minor in Education? And if so, say I double majored in English and History...would this give me a bit of an edge when applying for jobs? On second thought...is that even possible...? Or would that put me way over credit hours?

You can see what a mess I'm in...I definitely plan on talking to my academic adviser, but I thought it might be beneficial to also ask people who have already been through the process...

I'm applying to teaching programs right now so I know a little about the process :) I'm assuming we are in different states, but in general you need a teaching certification to get hired. Can you get initial certification with just a minor?

Most people are more competitive in the job market if they can teach more than one subject. I don't know if just majoring in English and history gets you certified to teach in both subjects, but it's probably a good plan.

In terms of looking for jobs, it's probably also helpful if you can work as a tutor, teacher's aide, camp counselor, etc. before you graduate. Or even just volunteer with a school, after-school program, or organization that does programs for students.

I hope that helps turned.gif

in NY

for secondary you need a major in whatever you would be teaching. If you double majored, then you would be able to teach for either. Actually in NY you need a Masters w/in 5 years in order to be certified anyway, so you could just get a double major in two "content areas" and then get a Masters in Secondary Education and without too much trouble you could be certified in both areas.

I actually looked into seeing what I would need to be certified for 6-12 social studies (in addition to my elementary certification)- but I'd basically have to get another BA and then more coursework for the secondary education part. Not like doing it *all* over- but near enough to not make it worth it.

If you have *any* interest in math, or *especially* science- those are the two areas that have the most positions available.

I don't know that you can minor in education. I think that you either major in secondary education for your BA and have your "content area" (so that ends up basically being a double major), or you do the subjects (ex: history and english) as your majors for your BA and then just go for your Masters in Education.

Like I said... that's just NY and I know that different states have different rules and stuff.

:hug: All the best!!

You were always so wise, tma :)

I'd have to second pretty much everything she has said. I'm finishing my second year of teaching high school science (freshmen biology and senior college level environmental science). I majored in Biology and got my masters in Science Education. I never took an education class prior to deciding to teach. Your double major may allow you to pass various examinations in different content areas that may allow you to look more favorable in the job application process. However, I'm a science person so its a little different than the humanities so I would ask an advisor...

I'd recommend thinking about what level you want to teach and potentially what region of the country. All states have different certification requirements (especially for the tests you must pass prior to being certified). For instance some require general tests in reading/writing and/or subject specific PRAXIS exams.

Sadly there is usually a tougher time for those who are interested in english/history teaching positions because they are more popular. I've found a similar experience as a science teacher that it was "easier" (but not necessarily easy in this job market) to get a teaching job.

I would also encourage you to investigate your options in what type of school you want to work in and whether or not you are picky about that sort of thing. Between private, public, urban, rural, large, small, charter, magnet, AP, IB, wealthy, lower socioeconomic, etc. This is my suggestion because the degree's recommended in your area may be different depending on type of school. I work in a lower socioeconomic urban school that is public. In my state, many types of private schools do not require as many tests and the same level of certification. You don't have to decide for sure which one you want to be at because you probably won't get your pick of the litter haha but its good to have your eyes on a goal.

As for prior experience as a Biology major in college, I tutored and worked as a TA for two different underclassmen lab sections before graduation. I also created an internship at a local high school in which I assisted a teacher in a chemistry class. Both experiences helped me develop more confidence that I was interested in teaching and I think they helped me in the application process to graduate school.

The career is tough but it is very rewarding :) Feel free to PM me if you have questions about my experience

Thanks so much to all who answered! That was actually really, really helpful. I think I'm going to look into English/History with the Masters in Education...I'll have to meet with my counselor to see if that's an option at my school, but I definitely want to do that if it is!

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much to all who answered! That was actually really, really helpful. I think I'm going to look into English/History with the Masters in Education...I'll have to meet with my counselor to see if that's an option at my school, but I definitely want to do that if it is!

Do you have an update? What did you end up deciding? What did your counselor say?

Do you have an update? What did you end up deciding? What did your counselor say?

I'm actually still not 100% sure what I'm going to do...luckily, I have 3 years left to think about it. I think I'm going to stick with English/Education now so that I can leave myself the option of teaching high school right after undergrad if I decide that's what I really want to spend the rest of my life (or at least a few years) doing!

I'm actually still not 100% sure what I'm going to do...luckily, I have 3 years left to think about it. I think I'm going to stick with English/Education now so that I can leave myself the option of teaching high school right after undergrad if I decide that's what I really want to spend the rest of my life (or at least a few years) doing!

Well, I'm always happy to share my experiences - I have a credential and a MA in Education - but not knowing what state you're in I don't know the specific requirements there...

Archived