Sneeze Fetish Forum

House of Leaves

_Daisy_

I'm only on page 52 and this book is already just complete mind-fuck.

This is actually my third time or so trying to read it (I don't actually own a copy of it and I keep winding up having to return it to whatever nefarious source I've managed to snag it from before I can get too far, though this time I'm borrowing a friend's so I should be good) and I feel like I am appreciating it so much more now that I've stopped looking for a linear plot (realize: there is none) and can instead savor the amazingly original writing style/entire concept.

Has anybody else picked this thing up? Have you ever found anything else remotely close to it?

POSTMODERNIST NON-GENRE LITERATURE

IL N'Y A PAS DE HORS-TEXTE

A = A

...I'm sorry. That was a Lit Crit flashback. Never mind.

Some books are not for reading. They're for looking at and going "what the actual nescio?" and maybe even sort of tripping on. House of Leaves belongs in that category, I think.

I loved House of Leaves, simply because it's one of the few books that made me audibly utter "What the fuck?"

Also, if you like House of Leaves, the author's sister did an album called 'Haunted', which actually references the story quite a lot, and has a few songs about the story, which kind of expand of certain parts of the plot (or what little plot there is)

But yeah, House of Leaves is an unbeatable masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, absolutely on my to-read list. I've leafed (heh) it a bit when visiting my brother, and gotten some serious gags out of the silly comp.lit humor. Looks entertaining.

Archived