Sneeze Fetish Forum

Weird book question

Chanel_no5

Right, this is going to make me sound really weird, but I need to know if there are anyone else out there like me.

I have "comfort books", like kids have comfort blankets and the likes. There is a certain book I always need to bring to bed every night (well, I don't keep it in bed with me, but on the bedside table), although I must have read it a dozen times and parts of it at least a hundred times. I know great chunks of text by heart. I feel a tad unsettled if I don't have it and can read at least a little bit from it each night before going to sleep. It's comforting to have a story so familiar.

I don't know if this is a single thing, that I have no partner to cling to and feel safety from, but whatever.

It was "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" since I was about 19 until I was about 26. For about a year now, it has been Stephen King's "Wind Through The Keyhole", and by now it really is a comfy book. Sometimes I even bring it (in my handbag, not openly) if I have important appointments that I'm worried about. I find it quite funny because I've never really been one for tokens, lucky charms or such.

So, am I the only one who switched comfort blanket for comfort book? ;)

Well I can't say that I have any comfort books in the same way that you do exactly, but I definitely feel the same way about "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and it's sequels. Though I actually decided that I preferred the radio plays over the books once I heard them. When I was in the hospital I remember just listening to the radio plays over and over again on my mp3 player and I found it comforting.

I definitely have all of those books on my Kindle and will never take them off of there even if I don't plan on rereading them anytime soon. I also usually take my Kindle with me when I go out even if I know I'm going somewhere where I probably won't be able to get any reading done. I guess it's just somewhat comforting to always have the Hitchhiker's books with me even if I'm not actually going to read them.

I wish I could've gotten a Don't Panic cover for my Kindle but I couldn't find anything like that and didn't feel ambitious enough to try to make one myself. :laugh:

I don't do that, but I think it's so cool that you do! There are definitely books that I have read again and again, but not every night. Hmm...I might start trying that with some poetry...

Right, this is going to make me sound really weird, but I need to know if there are anyone else out there like me.

I have "comfort books", like kids have comfort blankets and the likes. There is a certain book I always need to bring to bed every night (well, I don't keep it in bed with me, but on the bedside table), although I must have read it a dozen times and parts of it at least a hundred times. I know great chunks of text by heart. I feel a tad unsettled if I don't have it and can read at least a little bit from it each night before going to sleep. It's comforting to have a story so familiar.

I don't know if this is a single thing, that I have no partner to cling to and feel safety from, but whatever.

It was "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" since I was about 19 until I was about 26. For about a year now, it has been Stephen King's "Wind Through The Keyhole", and by now it really is a comfy book. Sometimes I even bring it (in my handbag, not openly) if I have important appointments that I'm worried about. I find it quite funny because I've never really been one for tokens, lucky charms or such.

So, am I the only one who switched comfort blanket for comfort book? wink.png

I used to read Melissa Scott's book Trouble and Her Friends before bed every night...

I was addicted to bedtime stories as a kid, so maybe this is childhood flipping back at adulthood. :lol:

I love rereading books because I find the familiar story comforting and relaxing and often fall asleep with one in hand our under pillow, but no, I don't tend to keep one around strictly for comfort.

Archived