Sneeze Fetish Forum

Number of posts?

PuddinPop

Hi guys!

I don't want this to come across as if I'm asking for something to be changed on the forum or anything like that, I'm just curious.

I've noticed recently that when I've been submitting new posts, the number of posts it says I have doesn't go up. Just now I noticed that I had 250 posts (I only noticed because it's a pretty rounded number :P) and then I posted something else and still had 250 posts :huh:

It doesn't bother me, I'm already validated and it makes no difference to me if anyone knows how many posts I've done, or how many other people have done for that matter, I'm just really curious.

Do any of you know why this is?

And have any of the other members noticed this happening?

Thanks guys :D

~Pud

Edit: my brain can not grammar :P (spelling mistakes fixed!!)

I haven't really paid attention to anyone's post counts in a while, but if memory serves, I think posts in certain boards might not count. I can't say for sure, but areas like Fun And Games or Off Topic might not impact the number on your little sidebar.

If that isn't the case, it could just be that it takes a little while to update sometimes.

I can't say for sure, but areas like Fun And Games or Off Topic might not impact the number on your little sidebar.

As far as I'm aware..........

Fun and games doesn't get added to your post count

I don't think the snake pit does either

But I think off topic does

From memory posts in Fun&Games, the Snake Pit, the Youth Board and the Testing Area do not count towards your post count. All the other forums should lead to a direct addition to your post count. :)

Joal is right that Off Topic does count towards your post count. If you post in any forum where it should count and it doesn't happen, let us know!

Ahh, I did not know this!

Thanks for letting me know guys, you're the best :D

I'm just curious why posts in Fun & Games, etc., don't count towards the total?

I'm just curious why posts in Fun & Games, etc., don't count towards the total?

I think the idea is that whilst they are fun posts (by definition) they are not used in assessing people's contribution to the forum for validation purposes etc

If I'm wrong, I'm sure another staff member can clarify

From memory posts in Fun&Games, the Snake Pit, the Youth Board and the Testing Area do not count towards your post count.

Does the Adult board count towards post totals? If it does then I don't see why the Youth board wouldn't count...

The four boards named above have all been used by members to pad their post count. I have no access to the Youth Board myself, but I've understood this was used by a few members to post many nonsense-posts in order to get a higher post count, which is why posts on this board stopped counting.

As what you have access to on this forum is determined quite a bit by post-count, including being eligible for validation, a decision has been made that some boards would not count towards post count.

So you're saying that the Adult board counts towards your post count because people are more likely to have legitimate discussions there? If that's the case then it's a shame a few people on the Youth board ruined things for everyone. I've never been on the Youth board either, but I'm sure teens can have a lot of legit discussions as well.

it's a shame a few people on the Youth board ruined things for everyone

not having certain posts count towards your total is hardly a case of "ruined things for everyone"

in my opinion, it's a bit of a non issue really

not having certain posts count towards your total is hardly a case of "ruined things for everyone"

Thank goodness for this reply..................Hang on....will this count towards my post count? i better had!!!

Well I didn't really mean it as a huge deal, just as more of an equality thing regarding Adult posts counting and Youth ones not counting is all.

Besides, don't you need to PM staff to get access to the Youth Board? Then, wouldn't that make your post count irrelevant seen as you must already be validated?? So how can people on the Youth Board be ruining things for everyone??

PuddinPop is confuss :D

Look all I meant was that it didn't seem fair that Youth posts don't count when Adults posts do and that it was a shame that the reason for that was because some members used that board to artificially inflate their post count.

I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it and I'm sorry if it came off as such. I was just commenting on the situation.

As far as I'm aware, some people on the Youth Board were actually spamming (and I think established people too, they were just having fun and being silly) and that was why it was made so that it doesn't go towards post counts. Otherwise they could rack up like 50 posts a day doing that. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that's what I remember.

Things like that don't go on in the Adult Board, so I think that's why the decision was made. Although it does look like the Youth Board is pretty quiet these days now, too.

Yeah, me and a few other youth members were having fun, posting a lot of silly game topics and 'conversational threads', and racking up a ridiculous quantity of posts. It was never about padding post count, but we were concerned about getting in trouble for spam/threadjacking etc - we wanted to continue spamming happily cause we were enjoying ourselves, so I think we spoke to Lynne to check what we were doing was okay. She decided to let us but stop our posts counting. So everyone was very happy with the arrangement :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but post count doesn't even affect much does it? My understanding was that most membership levels where determined more by individual assessment by the staff than by post count, and if that is the case then who cares which posts count and which ones don't anyway?

Ouro, you joined after me but have way more posts! Shenanigans! But the areas excluded from post count make sense to me, especially with Kiwis explanation of what happened on the youth board.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but post count doesn't even affect much does it? My understanding was that most membership levels where determined more by individual assessment by the staff than by post count, and if that is the case then who cares which posts count and which ones don't anyway?

This was my point, I was just curious about which ones counted :D

My understanding was that most membership levels were determined more by individual assessment by the staff than by post count

Yes, you are right, any assessments made by the staff concentrate on the quality of the posts rather than the quantity.

However, before such assessments are made, there are certain "trigger points" based on the number of posts e.g. 50 posts before "validation" is considered and 2,000 posts for "full membership".

As a reminder, here is a link explaining the various membership levels

http://www.sneezefetishforum.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34872

Oh my Gods I am so glad that someone has posted this. For me PuddinPop it's the other way round. When I posted like my 1st post it said I had posted like 3. I didn't object to that but it is crazy.

Archived