Sneeze Fetish Forum

Snowboard for my boyfriend...?

Sophie<3

Hello! :) My boyfriend is going to turn 18 in a couple of weeks and I started wondering about what I should get him. The other day we walked into a snowboard/surf/skate shop and he was like "Oh, I really want a snowboard!" Now I know he hasn't gone snowboarding in a while, but I also know he just loves it and if it wasn't for his family wanting to spend their vacation in warmer regions, he'd go every year! So I looked at the snowboards and they cost around 250-300 bucks. Ever since I've been thinking about getting him one for his birthday.

First of all, I want to get him something that he really wants and I know for sure that he'd be super happy if I got him a snowboard! Additionally, I want to get him something that shows him how much he means to me and that money doesn't matter when it comes to making him happy! Also... I kinda just like the thought that whenever he goes out to snowboard he'll be thinking of me, you know? Plus, it'd be his first snowboard and we all know that you don't ever sell your first snowboard, you keep it forever!! :)

HOWEVER... I'm a little scared that it might come across as somewhat inappropriate, considering that we are still so young and all. I mean, it just seems unusual, doesn't it? Like a present that he'd rather get from his parents...? I don't want to embarrass him for not getting me something as big as that and I don't want him to feel like he has to make up for it somehow, you know? Also... I guess I'd have to talk to his parents first to make sure that they don't get him one this year and I can't really imagine that conversation happening. It's just... I don't want to seem like I'm bragging to them about getting him the one thing he really wants! Does that make sense?

Can you people help me please? What do you think? Is it a cute idea or should I consider getting him something smaller instead...? I'm really not sure what to do... :/

In the end, only you can decide what is appropriate and how your boyfriend and/or his parents will react but........

1. If you can afford it, then it's a really nice present (if you can't, you shouldn't even be thinking about it!)

2. If you are worried it is too nice a present, maybe you could say it is a combined birthday/xmas present (assuming you celebrate xmas) - and then when the time comes, get him a little something at xmas

3. If you are worried about discussing it with his parents, maybe you could email them to check they aren't buying the same thing - that can be slightly less awkward than an actual conversation

Anyway, not sure if any of that helps, but I hope you work something out that you are comfortable with :)

It's a very sweet idea, but I can't help but wonder about the money. How long have you been with your boyfriend? Do you have a history of buying each other expensive gifts? Do you have a job? Does he?

If you do buy it, I don't know much about snowboards but it sounds like the kind of thing where he may have a very specific idea of what kind he wants/needs, what size etc. Make sure you're completely sure! There would be nothing worse than spending a lot of money on something that is very almost what he wants but not quite right, and he might be too embarrassed to tell you or exchange it! Maybe go with him to pick the one he wants?

1. If you can afford it, then it's a really nice present (if you can't, you shouldn't even be thinking about it!)

Yes, I can afford it. Well, I mean, I have the money. Of course, I am also saving up for college, but I don't really think it makes much of a difference whether I spend all this money on clothes and books or whatever over the next year or on my boyfriend for his birthday, you know? I mean, I'd maybe have to cut back on my own spending a little, but that's okay! :)

2. If you are worried it is too nice a present, maybe you could say it is a combined birthday/xmas present (assuming you celebrate xmas) - and then when the time comes, get him a little something at xmas

That's a really cool idea, thanks! I didn't even think of it. I could also just not buy him anything for christmas, but write, like, a poem or something. That's kind of romantic and he'd understand that I can't spend that much money again, right?

3. If you are worried about discussing it with his parents, maybe you could email them to check they aren't buying the same thing - that can be slightly less awkward than an actual conversation

That's also a really nice idea! Especially because it'd be hard to talk to them without him noticing, since we're always together when we're at his place. And it'd be way better than a conversation! Thanks again! :)

Anyway, not sure if any of that helps, but I hope you work something out that you are comfortable with smile.png

Yup, really good advice. I'm thinking about discussing it with my mom and just looking at how she reacts, but what matters the most is that my boyfriend is happy in the end! Thanks again!

It's a very sweet idea, but I can't help but wonder about the money. How long have you been with your boyfriend? Do you have a history of buying each other expensive gifts? Do you have a job? Does he?

If you do buy it, I don't know much about snowboards but it sounds like the kind of thing where he may have a very specific idea of what kind he wants/needs, what size etc. Make sure you're completely sure! There would be nothing worse than spending a lot of money on something that is very almost what he wants but not quite right, and he might be too embarrassed to tell you or exchange it! Maybe go with him to pick the one he wants?

Okay, first of all: We've been dating for over 2 years now. I'm putting all my effort into school, so I don't have a job. The same goes for him, except for a small job that he has, but I don't really think he gets a lot of pay for that. We've been buying each other mediocre-expensive things in the past, I would say. We probably spend more money on gifts for each other than most couples our age (at least the ones around us don't seem to spend as much), but it's still within normal range. The reason I could afford buying him this gift is because I have a couple of pretty generous relatives and I've been saving up money from birthdays and Christmas ever since I was a child. I usually save up some money for a while until I find something I really want to have. That's why I occasionally buy one really expensive item, but then save up money again for a while. It's all in balance! ;)

You're right about the second part, I think, so thanks! I guess I should try luring him into another shop at some point and ask some by-the-way-questions about what kind of a snowboard he would need exactly. I don't think he would get suspicious, because he'd probably not expect me to actually get him one and also we talk about stuff like that occasionally, because it also interests me!

Archived