Sneeze Fetish Forum

How do you keep hair dye from fading?

smmoct3

Hey everyone!

So on Friday I dyed my hair a light (on the edge of medium) brown. I left the dye in my hair for the exact amount of time it told me to, even a little more. By the way, my original hair color was dirty blonde. I did everything the lady at Sally's Beauty Supply told me to: use cool water, deep condition 24 hours after I dye it, don't wash my hair every day. It's only Tuesday and my hair is COMPLETELY back to blonde! I'm really upset because I loved the color it turned out to be. I used a demi permanent hair dye and it was by Clairol, and from what I've heard that brand is pretty good. Maybe it's just my hair doesn't take color well. (I'm just putting it out there that my hair was virgin hair before I dyed it).

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep hair dye from fading? I'm really confused as to why it faded SO quickly.

The problem is that it was semi-permanent, it will always fade out unless it's permanent. Also since it's your first ever time dyeing, sometimes it takes a while for hair to stick so you should give it a another go. Also the colour you went to seems very similar to your original colour, which is why it seemed that it faded really quickly. But since I've always kinda dyed my hair bright colours, all I use is cold water to help keep it all in. Hopefully some of this helps :)

Thank you so much! :)

Well see the dye I used said it would last 24 washes so... you know I thought it would last 24 washes! I think you're right though, I dyed it too close to my natural color. I'm thinking before school starts I'm going to dye it darker than the color I chose so it won't fade as fast. Thank you for the awesome tips! This helped a lot!

I think that unless you had incredibly light blonde hair, that colour wouldn't last for 24 washes! But I've never really used semi-permanent so I don't know exactly how it works. But I definitely think you should give it another go :)

Well see the dye I used said it would last 24 washes so... you know I thought it would last 24 washes!

God no! Never count of getting half the time they promise, and that's with a good brand. I used permanent blue colour once, was meant to stay blue until it grew out, I was turquoise after 5 washes and blonde after 10. However, it often washes out quicker the first time you use dye.

ETA: because of course permanent colour don't have a maximum wash and I wasn't thinking. Bah. :lol:

I used permanent blue colour once, was meant to stay blue until it grew out, I was turquoise after 5 washes and blonde after 10. However, it often washes out quicker the first time you use dye.

ETA: because of course permanent colour don't have a maximum wash and I wasn't thinking. Bah. heh.gif

Chanel, can you remember the name of the brand you used? I always use semi-permanent for bright colours and I can't find a permanent (well kind of permanent) colour. It's just kinda annoying having to top it up a little over a week :)

It was almost fifteen years ago, but I did it at the hairdresser's. Since then I've never been to an actual hairdresser, a friend of mine cuts my hair. The few times I do use dye, I usually go with Oil of Olay and a chestnut tone.

I'm not sure if there's any "normal or natural" Colors for brands like "Manic Panic(only available in the u.s I heard". & "Splat hair dye" I used to dye my hair red. So if you want to be adventurous they come in purple, midnight blue, Aqua. Pink. Red. Green. Bunch of Colors. Except natural ones ahaha. But before that I used "Garnier hair dye". There wasn't any guys hair dye._. I went shopping with my mom ok when I used that dye. Anyways Garnier there was a bunch of blondes-dark brown to Red Colors, it was semi-permenant but it lasted at least a month or two c: even after several times of washing my hair. Hope this helps, & waiting at least two hours after dying your hair to wash it, it helps the dye go in your hair more, so it lasts longer. Yeh ;o now my hair is red it's been two months with "splat hair dye". Hope I helped a bit (: maybe not ahaha

Bleaching your hair often helps color to adhere to the strands, as well. That's a reasonably extreme measure because there's always the chance of damaging your hair with bleach, but it definitely helps color stick.

Bleaching your hair often helps color to adhere to the strands, as well. That's a reasonably extreme measure because there's always the chance of damaging your hair with bleach, but it definitely helps color stick.

Yeh bleach really damaged my hair, So if you want to keep your color the most natural way, don't bleach,

Archived