Sneeze Fetish Forum

How is college like?

jano

Im a senior in highschool, and Im working on my college applications. No one else in my family has gone to an American college so Im not too certain of what to expect! Ive searched about it online but the only stuff that comes up is about campus life.

Well, I guess I didnt phrase this question correctly. How different are college classes from highschool classes? What was your college experience like? Did you have fun? Did you have an apartment, lived on campus, or at home? How much time did you spend studying? Was money a huge issue? *hides behind all these questions*

Bellows~!

College is great~ I'm in my third year, and I really love it. It offers so much freedom, and that's the difference from high school. You have so much customization (after you get through the general education requirements). You also can choose when you go to class, and on what days. That way you can sleep in and have afternoon classes, or do them all in the morning, or both!

I don't live on campus, but I spend a lot of time there. There are always many places to sit and work or read, or eat and chat with friends. It's like its own little community ^_^. I like to get good grades, so I usually over-study, but even then I don't spend more than 3 hours on homework a day. It helps to do things little by little so they don't pile up.

Money wasn't too bad for me because I got scholarships to help me out~

Ask your guidance counselors at school to help you find scholarships and grants. Filling out applications and writing essays is a pain, but believe me, it makes up for it in the long run. All the work you're doing now will pay off, I promise ^_^.. For me personally, I love college. Though just like any responsibility, it can be stressful and confusing. Don't worry though~ Enjoy learning about things you think are important, fun, and will help you through life :3

College is awesome. You get to meet a bunch of people who have similar interests to you and you get to experience a little independence without all the crushing responsibility of full adulthood.

My college life was brilliant. At Riseholme college I was 16 and they let me drive around in tractors. Unfortunately I couldn't take them everywhere on the campus because some of the roads were public and no 16 year old has a licence to go on the public roads. I loved every minute at Riseholme, and the only reason I didn't stay for the next year was because they weren't doing the course I wanted. I still wish I'd not left, but they're still not doing the course.

So when I was 17 I went to Lincoln College. That was also a great deal of fun. Thursdays were the best. We had to be in lessons by 11 AM and we had a 45 minute session. Then we were free until quater past three when we had another 45 minute session and went home. So from 12:00 to 15:00 I was in the pub, so I was wasted all the time in the Thursday afternoon session. Then they took my support away. (I'm autistic with ADHD and they promised to accommodate me with this.) So with no support college life quickly became too much so I left. But there's a reason this place was called my college drinking daze. :P

Blackscatter: thank you so much! I always imagined college as studying 24/7 but I guess its not all about that ^^; I hope I have a nice experience like that. I dont think I will be living on campus either, to be honest!

Amyparda: Its the independence that intimidates me a little! Though Im excited at the same time...

The Dead One: College at 16?! Im going to be 17 once I enter, and the usual age for that here is 18 or 19! I didnt know that people go to college that early. And thank you for your schedule explanation, I think Im just freaking myself out by reading a bunch if college forums where people take really hard classes... Haha!

I only spent a year in college and flunked out because I never did any work or went to classes (I spent a lot of time in bookstores and going to movies by myself in the afternoons). DON'T BE LIKE ME. College is great because you've got a lot of freedom and no one's looking over your shoulder making sure you're doing your homework or getting up on time, but it's a double-edged sword - one I wasn't prepared for. So make sure you're ready to manage your own free time by yourself in a productive way.

I lived in a co-ed dorm and it was really fun. The two boys across the hall turned out to be good friends and I hung out in their room a lot with a few other people from further down the hall. I discovered that a lot of kids in college (freshmen especially) are eager to socialize outside of their usual social group and talk about things they've maybe never talked about before. I was a social butterfly in high school but I still never really clicked with "popular" girls, but in college I had a few pretty good friends who were obviously "popular" in high school. Everyone's out of their comfort zones and wanting to reach out and grab onto new friends, so don't be afraid to approach strangers and ask to sit with them and get in on the conversation - I had some really positive experiences like that!

All in all, I wish I could go back in time sometimes and re-do my college experience. I wish I would've studied and done my homework and written essays instead of playing Sims 2 until 3:00 in the morning all the time. :P Le sigh.

The Dead One: College at 16?! Im going to be 17 once I enter, and the usual age for that here is 18 or 19!

Oh, as far as I'm concerned The Dead One is British, and college and university aren't the synonyms there. :)

I work at a large university and regularly teach undergraduates. While everyone's experience is different, there are some similar habits I notice among successful students:

Take advantage of your parents while you still have them. Make sure you know how to do things like your own laundry, balance a checking account, cook your own food, etc. before coming to campus. A lot of students come to campus and have to learn these things on their own and it causes a lot of stress. Take advantage of having experienced adults to teach you while you still can.

Prioritize your studies. You're there to be a student first. Period. It's going to be tempting to go out, party, stay up late watching movies, etc. While there's nothing wrong with those things (in fact, they're awesome) put your classes first. Do your homework, then go play.

Get involved in campus life. You don't want to spend all your time partying, but you don't want to live in the library either. Students who participate in intramural sports, join a club, or a student organization are usually more successful. You become invested in your campus community and that makes it easier when you need to buckle down and finish that term paper. Colleges offer something for everyone. Try lots of things out and find the people you click with.

This is the biggest one (in my opinion). Ask for help when you need it!!! It's okay to be overwhelmed, or struggle in a class, or have trouble adjusting. It's a massive change in your life. Colleges know that and have tools in place to help you. Go to the writing center, the tutoring center, the computer lab, and the counseling center if you need to--that's what they're there for :) Talk to your RA and go to your professor's office hours. Ask a librarian for help finding resources. I see sooooo many students who don't ask for help until they're super stressed. No need! Faculty and staff want you to be successful. We want you to have fun. We want you to learn and grow and become awesome young adults. I always tell my students that those resources are not just for crisis management. Don't wait until you have a D in a class before going to the tutoring center. Go when you have a B--they'll help move towards an A. Already have an A? Go anyway--let them show you how to keep it with less effort.

I hope this helps :) Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

smooshi: Yeah, I just looked that up, I wish we had that advantage here in the States!

matilda3948: Gosh, your advice really cheered me up today! I think all my 11th grade teachers were freaking us students out about the college process, my 12th grade English teacher asked how many of us have started our college essays and I was the only one who raised their hand :P And I think I will go to my teachers a lot this year too! Youve really helped and now Ive changed my outlook on things! College will be tough, but as long as I am on top if my work I have a feeling I will be okay. Thank you so much! (Im so lucky to be on a forum with such awesome people!)

( i would reply with blockquotes and stuff but I am on my 3ds which isn't too advanced in the internet department...haha)

Archived