Sneeze Fetish Forum

Fear of flying? Tips!

YoriYori

Is there anyone else here who is afraid of flying? How do you get over it? Even if you're not, do you have any re-assuring words? Anyone here fly often for business? Please, please give me some advice ;_;.

I used to be really afraid when I was a young teen but got over it because I do fly quite a bit. However, earlier this summer when I had to take a 10 hour fight over the pacific the weather was really bad. The turbulance was a lot (I know turbulance is not dangerous but...) and the way the captain spoke about the situation was really not reassuring. Within 30 minutes of take off they said they had gotten reports and were expecting "really rough, turbulant weather" and so they were serving dinnner one and a half hours early to avoid any flying food once we hit the turbulant area. When we started to get into the bumps he came on again saying how he was going to turn on seat belt signs and to make sure to obey them and don't move from seats. Bump.. bump... bump... lots of bumps and sways and dips and stomach-loops... then a few minutes of peace.

Then he came on again saying, "We're moving into a large area of unstable air. Return to your seats immediately and fasten your seatbelts. If you have a small child strap them in. If you have a pillow grab it and hold it to your chest. Flight attendants take your seats immediately." (Wish I could communicate the harsh, urgent tone in his voice over writing but I can't!) Then many bumps. The whole flight consisted of him turning on and off the seatbelt sign a lot and flight attendants reminding people not to move from their seats if they could help it. To make matters worse, the girl that was sitting in the window seat (I was in the aisle - I will not sit elsewhere for such a long flight!) had put her head down on the tray as soon as boarding and did not shut her window. SO RUDE. She was the only one in the whole cabin with an open window. (In case you haven't flown across the date line or on a long, intl flight from afternoon or evening - after a few hours the cabin lights go out and passengers are expected to shut the windows so it can be dark for people to try to sleep since it may still be light outside or due to the direction of travel there may be only 3 hours of "night time" before reaching the sun again etc..). I could see the massive thunder/lightning flashing outside the window ever few seconds even with my head turned away. With all the bumps and constant beeps from the cabin lights it frightened me even more. My heart was racing so hard I wanted to cry. Because of a condition I have I was afraid I'd be sick (not vomit sick) but it's a plane so there's nowhere to lie down...

Now, to be honest the turbulance really wasn't that bad. One of my home is near mountains which always create a lot of turbulance near landing and I think that's actually kinda fun (because we have to take a really small plane to reach this town). It was just that this time on the long flight it was present nearly the entire flight and the captain's tone was frightening rather than reassuring. (Seriously on all previous bumpy flights I've taken the captain is always really nice about it and apologizes even though it's not his fault and tries to make people feel better). I'll have to fly back home soon the same long flight over the ocean and I'm really nervous. I've been losing sleep some nights!! I've tried watching videos on youtube of even worse situations and reading articles, but I still feed afraid sadsmiley.gif. Plus now it's typhoon season!!

Has anyone else dealt with this? What do you do?

I personally try to keep myself occupied. A book or some kind of electronic device (Gameboy/DS/PSP, iPod, portable DVD player) usually keeps me from paying too much attention to what's going on outside. Sleeping helps, too! Although, I understand that many people can't really sleep in a plane, which is understandable. :) Basically, keep your mind distracted. Good luck! :hug:

Valium.

Kidding, obviously, but I try to sleep as much as possible when I'm flying. Being unconscious makes it more bearable.

I wish we could just teleport ourselves places. I hate flying.

Ah, thank you for the advice <3!

Yeah, I always *try* to sleep on the long flights but it doesn't work so well for me. Especially I get all self concious when I'm almost asleep and notice my mouth is hanging wide open, haha. I had some strong medication similar to xanax but I've never taken it before so I was worried.. anyway I left it back home! Maybe I'll do some research on natural supplements. I can't do the thing where you deprive yourself of sleep beforehand - that just makes me feel terrible.

As for other forms of disraction, might have to head over to the "what are you reading" thread to get a good idea ^^.

As for other forms of disraction, might have to head over to the "what are you reading" thread to get a good idea ^^.

You could also listen to music/podcasts and close your eyes. Sort of passes the time if you can ignore the fact that you're trapped on a plane for hours.

I'm very nervous of flying. I usually talk to the cabin crew before take off and let them know that I'm nervous, they are usually fantastic and come and check on me during the flight. I usually keep a cup of water next to me and walk around regularly obviously to get the blood flowing. During turbulence I put my head back close my eyes and try my best to control my breathing and relax. I've had cabin crew come and sit with me during the flights, Virgin Atlantic are fantastic and the only flight company we fly with long haule.

I wish you the best of luck. I know how you feel, it's not nice. Bless your heart.

Take care.

SneezyPrincess. <3

For me I'm only ever scared when we're about to take off or are taking off. Usually i find that just listening to music helps.

Archived