Sneeze Fetish Forum

PM to all members

Vetinari

Yesterday I attempted to send a bulk PM to all regular forum users, and I know a number of you have already received this. Unfortunately the Bulk Mail system registered an error during the session, and I am not certain that everyone received a copy (and I know that some people received more than one, and for that, I apologise). Therefore, for anyone who hasn't seen it I have copied the contents of the message below.

Dear Members,

This is a message on behalf of the forum staff. It has been sent to all members of the forum, nobody has been individually selected out.

We have noticed a trend recently on the forum, mostly in the Snake Pit but sometimes in other areas. Members who have caused offence, or are generally unpopular have, on occasion, been selected out and attacked to an extent that has, for some of us, become quite uncomfortable. The most recent of these events resulted in widespread calls for a member to be banned from the forum.

I recognise that the Snake Pit is an area where flaming is allowed. I feel it is an important area of the board, where people can express themselves openly, and if they feel they have been treated unfairly in some way, they can state that in this area without fear of being censored. I do not wish to change the rules of the Snake Pit. For anyone who is confused, rules 2 and 6 are relaxed in the Snake Pit, but all other rules still apply. To clarify further, direct threats of physical violence are NOT allowed under rule 3. If you need to update yourself on the rules, you can find them here.

That said, I would appeal very strongly to our members not to engage in behaviour patterns that might be seen as bullying. I understand that if a member has made a comment that causes strong feelings, that other members can, and should be able to respond. However I would ask that on occasions when a great many members have already responded, that other people give thought to whether they have anything new to add to the discussion before they post.

We are a community that prides itself on openness and acceptance. I would like to feel that openness and acceptance is extended to all members of the forum. There are a number of members here who have openly discussed the fact that they have certain medical issues which have perhaps been a factor in causing them to act in ways that have attracted ill-feeling. I understand that in some circumstances there are some illnesses that make it more difficult for people to understand how others might be feeling, and difficulty in communicating the way they are feeling. Whilst we cannot allow members to use heath problems of any sort as an excuse for breaking the rules, I would like to see our wider membership expressing tolerance for those who perhaps do not find it easy to communicate

I would like to assure members that the staff can and do deal with members who break the rules, and those who go against forum etiquette. There are, however procedures that we follow to try ensure that all members are dealt with fairly. Sometimes the process can take longer than we would like. Except in extreme circumstances where a member is an immediate threat to the forum or its members, there are many actions that we take before opting for banning. As has been recently noted in more than one thread, it can be very difficult to tell the difference between people who are experiencing difficulties in communicating and outright trolls. We would very much prefer to give the benefit of the doubt and try to control the issues rather than deny people, who may be genuinely struggling, access. To this end, on occasion we have, in the recent past,

• returned members to "Pending status" thus limiting their access to the Snake Pit, the profiles, and other private areas of the forum.
  • placed members on Moderator Preview so that every post they make has to be assessed by a member of staff before it is made public.
  • suspended members from the forum for limited periods in order to allow them to cool off and think.
  • (on a lesser note) strongly advised certain members that they should avoid the Snake Pit.

As I said before, on occasion these actions are not carried out instantaneously. Staff discussions take time and these actions are not taken lightly. We do however take the opinions of other members on board. If you feel uncomfortable with the way any other member is behaving, (even if you don't feel they are breaking the rules) we would be interested to hear your comments privately and your feelings will be taken into account. Forum disputes can, of course, be carried out in the Snake Pit, however for those who are concerned but would prefer things to be handled in a lower-key manner, please do be aware that there is an alternative option.

Many thanks to those of you who have read all the way through this letter. I hope you will take it in the spirit it is meant. I would like this forum to continue to be a place where, as it states in the guidelines, common sense, honesty, integrity and good nature prevail.

Vetinari on behalf of the forum staff

Archived