Sneeze Fetish Forum

More Concert Obs - Frank Iero!

phoenix

I'm going to tag this as hurt/comfort even though there wasn't any actual comfort, because I think it's the option that fits best.

So! I just got back from seeing frnkiero andthe cellabration (seriously just got back, it's 3 am; also I got to meet him it was amazing <3 <3 <3), and I figured some of you might want to know that Frank just seemed sort of... unwell. From the first time he started talking onstage, his voice was just wrecked. Low, hoarse, like his throat was killing him. He performed most of the show with his eyes closed, which I think is pretty normal for him, and at one point someone asked him if he was wearing a pajama shirt (again, I think that's normal for this tour), he said yes, and then started talked about how pajama shirts help a lot on the Not Good days, the days you just want to go back to bed and skip over entirely. The phrasing made it sound like today was definitely that kind of day, poor guy. He did less talking between songs than I was expecting, and when he did talk it was pretty low-energy. When they were playing, thought, it was like all of that got washed away and they just went for it. So much fun.

I got to talk to one of the opening bands afterward, which was great, and then I went through the very long merch line/gaggle of people thinking that I'd get what I wanted and then go back through once Frank had come out to sign, but when I got to the merch table I realized that he was already there! So that solved the mystery of why the line was moving so slowly AND saved everyone a second trip through. Win-win. A lot of people were taking selfies with Frank, but he just looked absolutely beat, so I didn't ask for a picture. He signed the vinyl copy of his album that I'd just bought (I already owned the digital copy but there was something about signed vinyl that I couldn't turn down), shook my hand, and talked to me for a minute or two about how my first show ever had been one that MCR opened for wayyy back in 2004. So... yay. :-)

Eek, I looove when singers aren't feeling well onstage, especially when they just say 'fuck it' and give it their all, despite the fact that they feel like shit. I saw Yellowcard in concert awhile back and Ryan Key lost his voice during the show. So cute.

Off topic, is that Andrew McMahon in your signature pic?! He's my absolute favorite singer/musician. I have lyrics from 'There, There, Katie' tattooed on me. I don't see many people who also really like him!

Eek, I looove when singers aren't feeling well onstage, especially when they just say 'fuck it' and give it their all, despite the fact that they feel like shit. I saw Yellowcard in concert awhile back and Ryan Key lost his voice during the show. So cute.

Aww! Lucky you! I'm a complete sucker for singers losing their voice as well. (And for pushing through not feeling well in general... hence my current writing project...) There's a previous obs floating around from when I saw Sleeping with Sirens and Pierce the Veil, where Kellin Quinn's voice was completely wrecked by the end of the show. His voice makes me melt no matter what, so that was just an added bonus. It seems pretty common, actually, just from the nightly vocal abuse... I'm in a field that does voice therapy, and so part of me is like, nooo, your poor vocal folds!! But the rest of me is enjoying it a lot. innocent.gif

p.s. YES, that is Andrew McMahon! I saw him last month; it was amazing. Absolutely electric, perfect venue, the audience was really into it but also really respectful-- he spent an entire song snaking his way through the crowd and no one even tried to touch him, which was so refreshing compared to the SWS/PTV and Frank Iero shows, which skewed a lot younger and less... chill/respectful of boundaries/etc. It was also a full-circle moment, just like with Frank: I saw Andrew 10 years ago (well, a couple months shy of 10 years ago) when he was touring with Something Corporate... I didn't know it at the time, but apparently it was one of their last shows. I actually had to go back and check my ticket stubs because the wikipedia article said that they were no longer touring in 2005, but I was so sure that was when I'd seen them... turns out I was right; it was at a college, so I think they were fulfilling their existing obligations but not adding any new tour dates. Anyway! Those are my Andrew McMahon stories. He fell off my radar for a while so I sort of missed out on the second two Jack's Mannequin albums and his 2013 EP, but I heard "Cecilia and the Satellite" on the radio-- well, actually, all it took was hearing his name during the lead-in-- and was so overcome with emotion that I completely forgot I was supposed to be paying attention to driving (whoops), and here we are! So glad to meet another fan! heart.gif

p.s. YES, that is Andrew McMahon! I saw him last month; it was amazing.

That's so awesome!! I never meet Andrew fans, haha. And wow, I would've killed to see Something Corporate on tour-- I was a little bit too young for concerts/really liking music when they were actually together, which is unfortunate.

I've only seen him once in concert, in AZ, and it was so incredible. The venue was tiny and I was practically on the stage. Plus, Andrew fans are just the best <3 everyone is so sweet, no one yells over him, everyone's super into it, ughh, I need to see another one.

Jack's Mannequin was always my fave, but the new stuff is really good, too. I'm super excited there's actually an Andrew McMahon fan on here, in case you can't tell I'm a little bit obsessed, haha.

This makes me remember a time within the past few years a band I follow on Twitter, the Sidewalk Prophets performed when they weren't feeling well. They didn't the usual stuff afterwards but they still rocked out onstage. I only know about it from Twitter, but I saw what another fan of theirs said.

Archived