Sneeze Fetish Forum

Ultimate Survival Alaska - Sick, feverish competitor (M) in latest episode

phoenix

I love adventure/exploration/survival shows, especially ones where the participants know what they're doing, and really especially ones without a lot of interpersonal drama, so it's not terribly surprising that I got hooked on Ultimate Survival Alaska a few days ago. It may not be the most "real" show out there (c'mon, producers, how many times do you expect us to believe that the participants just "happened" to find exactly the people and supplies they needed along the way?), but now, in the third season, they seem to have given up the pretense and just accepted that it's an adventure race, which is for the best. (Unfortunately, that came with the introduction of a typical a**hole character, but luckily *spoiler* he eventually leaves.)

Anyway! I'd been thinking, as I watched the first two seasons (in reverse order, because S2 is the one that's currently available in its entirety on Hulu, at least in the U.S.) that okay, they're out in all kinds of terrain and weather (mostly terrible) for weeks and weeks with very little to eat and they're constantly getting dumped in rivers and whatnot... someone eventually has to get sick. There was some nice h/c in terms of injuries and hypothermia, but no illness until...

... the most recent episode! With the extra trope of someone toughing it out/pushing through for the sake of their teammates. (The guy in question, Ben, has been very competitive and not super willing to slow down for other people, so it's fitting that he wouldn't slow down himself.) Here's a YouTube link: Ep. 8: Covert Ops. A rundown:

• 1:07 - nice preview of The Forehead Feel, but emetophobes should quickly skip ahead because you only have 3 seconds before
  • 1:10 - full-on shot of Ben vomiting and then you're safe until 38:35. (I'm an emetophobe who's slowly becoming able to deal with it/appreciative of the h/c aspects in fictional/televised settings, and after that preview I was on edge for a full 37 minutes because I didn't know when It was going to happen. It's not until the very end. Enjoy the weak, shivery, feverish middle part without fear.)
  • 4:10 - "You good, Ben?" "... I don't feel so good." Aww, babe.
  • 4:19 - Ben describes his symptoms: "aches and pains, shivers, I've got a fever..."
  • 19:33 - coughing, more discussion of symptoms
  • 20:04 - The Forehead Feel! "Aww, dude, you're burning up." Team caretaking ftw! Lel is so sweet; I love her.
  • 26:41 - Ben's teammates, Lel and Dallas,* are concerned. They check in with Ben and try to convince him that it's better to rest now so that he'll be well enough to continue with the competition, which has several more weeks to go. Ben insists on pushing through.
  • 34:04 - Checking in...
  • 35:00 - The team decides to take a longer but less intense route for Ben's sake. Once again, Ben talks about how he has to keep pushing through so that he doesn't hold his teammates back.
  • 38:35 -Emetophobes, here's where you tune out. Ben is lagging behind, groaning. Calls out to the rest of the team, they stop, he's on his knees fighting it, but not for very long. Same shot that was shown in the preview... not subtle. Avoid it or seek it out, whichever floats your boat. His team sticks with him.
  • 42:35 - The team finishes with Dallas carrying Ben's pack. (He lost his own pack in one of those rafting mishaps I mentioned earlier.) More discussion of Ben's condition, including his inability to keep anything, even sips of water, down. Plenty of concern from the other teams as well.

And... that's it! Hopefully my little play-by-play is useful to someone; it was a good excuse to rewatch those parts of the episode. The show says that there are only 12 hours between the end of one challenge and the start of the next, so if that's true, then I can't imagine he'll be completely better by the next episode (which airs Sun, 3/8 at 10PM Eastern in the U.S.). Looking forward to it! Any other Ultimate Survival Alaska fans out there?

*Dallas Seavey is my crush of the moment, haha. He's been on all three seasons so there have been plenty of h/c moments involving him, particularly when it comes to falling in ice-cold water... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that he wasn't the one to get sick (ooh, that sounds so mean to say about a real person, sorry, dude) or to do more of the caretaking for Ben, but... there's still 5(?) more episodes this season and I'm sure he'll be invited back for any future seasons, so there's still hope. :-)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived