Sneeze Fetish Forum

HSP and care-taking fetish?

LotusoftheLeaf

I stumbled across an article about highly sensitive people (HSPs) and much of what was discussed reminded me a ton about myself. One personality trait the article mentioned was HSPs being very in touch with the physical and emotional pain of other people and that immediately made me think about my desire to care for others and have someone depend on me. Could being an HSP tie in to having a care-taking fetish, since the higher-than-average amount of empathy they feel might be what causes them to get such a thrill from being able to make others feel better?

It's possible, I suppose.

I am finally, after many years, "diagnosed" (it's not an actual medical diagnosis, but my therapist is a good guy) as an HSP. And caretaking really doesn't sit very well with me at all, at best I feel awkward, at worst it makes me downright angry, as the constant giving only sucks all energy out of me. So I think that's more of an individual thing than related to the highly sensitivity trait.

I tend to agree with Chanel. Many HSPs set great store by what other people think of their behaviour and are anxious to conduct themselves well in the eyes of others at all times, as I understand; they may be able to sense the slightest discomfort in others, but they do not necessarily feel self-assured enough to take initiative and assume the role of caretaker.

• 1 month later...

Yes. I think it very well might play a role. I'm an HSP based on what I've read, and my caretaking is distracting, sometimes very much so. I wouldn't say all of that caretaking is HSP-related, but I do think for some it could all be connected. I will start to initiate what I want to say or do, but then I will get shy and hold back, unless it's someone I feel very comfortable with, and even then, I do it better in writing, probably back to that shy stuff again.

Archived