Sneeze Fetish Forum

The paste buttons don't seem to work anymore

Wig_Powder

I just tried making a post on an already existing thread, and I wanted to copy-paste something I'd written from a word document. But the three "paste" options were all greyed out, and wouldn't open no matter how much I clicked on them. I was still able to paste with control-v, but I like having the quick-select option. Otherwise, there's the possibility the font will be huge or the formatting will screw up.

Also, while the paste options were available when I first started this post, they've also greyed out here, too. I don't know if this is due to the change from earlier in the year or if this is a recent development, and while there are definitely workarounds, I wanted to bring this to your attention.

The paste function has always worked only sporadically for me too. Often it takes more than one attempt at it, and when it does work it just lumps all the paragraphs together in a big mass. I always assumed it was something to do with my computer or my own incompetence :lol: but good to know its not just me :D

For me, the paste function seems to remove all punctuation from my writing.

Which is annoying when it's a fic or an RP post or something :disgust:

For me, the paste function seems to remove all punctuation from my writing.

Which is annoying when it's a fic or an RP post or something :disgust:

I have the exact same issue! Granted, I usually have to post on my tablet, but it does get annoying.

I've just pasted in the paragraph below from a word document, using the paste button, without any apparent problems, so perhaps it's only an intermittent issue. Does it only happen on the mobile site (I only access the forum on a laptop)? And does it happen with all browsers (I'm on Chrome at the moment)?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present my very first (and almost certainly, my last) story for the forum, which is a 12th Doctor and Clara fanfic. The characters are obviously totally mine :glare: , but having licensed them to the BBC and given one simple instruction to Steven Moffat, namely “make Clara sneeze!”, which he has singularly failed to do, the task of fulfilling this basic need has fallen to me.

It happens to me on mobile. I first noticed it on mobile so I posted a fic by PM yesterday from my laptop and it removed all punctuation again. So it's not just a problem on mobiles/tablets.

I've only ever tried it on Chrome because I don't have any other browsers (except IE but who tf wants to try that) so I'm not sure if it's a Chrome problem or if other browsers have the same issue.

EDIT: I'd like to reiterate that it isn't all punctuation? It keeps full stops, semicolons and commas but it removes quotation marks, hyphens and 'dotdotdots' (...) which is exceptionally annoying in fics xD

. Does it only happen on the mobile site (I only access the forum on a laptop)? And does it happen with all browsers (I'm on Chrome at the moment)?

In my case, I'm posting from a laptop on Firefox. (and the pastes are still greyed out for me).

I've tested it on both IE and Chrome on my desktop and have had no issues. On Chrome a dialogue box pops up rather than it pasting directly because apparently my browser security settings don't allow it to directly access the clipboard. But pressing Ctrl+V in the window that appears doesn't show any problems and no punctuation seems to disappear.

On Firefox, I find the paste buttons are accessible until one clicks in the message window, at which point they grey out. Not sure on the reason for this, but I'll keep looking. I haven't tried on mobile yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some problems, knowing how many issues the mobile skin has.

I've done some more research regarding Firefox and the paste buttons and found that this is not a new issue. It occurs because the paste buttons require access to the clipboard in order to work, and Firefox blocks this automatically for security reasons. There is also a known incompatibility between the text editor the forum software uses (a program called CKEditor) and Firefox. Which both companies, unhelpfully, say is a bug in the other's software.

This article has more details if you want to read: http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3.x/Users_Guide/Document/Cut,_Copy_and_Paste

Unfortunately this means that for Firefox at least, there's no way for me to make the Paste buttons work. However for other browsers, testing suggests they should work fine. That said, if anyone is still having issues please let me or one of the other staff know!

Archived