Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Great British Bake Off!! (Contains spoilers)

MaiMai

I'm not sure whether anyone around here is really into the Bake Off, but since it's super popular in the UK, I thought there might be and here I am flailing about it anyway. :laugh:

I just watched the first episode of the new series and aaaahhhh! Firstly, wasn't the technical being jaffa cakes a bit...strange? Who bakes jaffa cakes?? :lol: (I sort of want to try it now but I think I would fail terribly!) The mirror cakes were beautiful ahh! :wub:

I feel like it's too early to pick someone who looks like they might win, but they seem like pretty cool people this series! I'm excited!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

They made an American version that I think only lasted one season.  :(

Food shows and competitions are a guilty pleasure of mine.  :yes:

(Even if I sometimes HATE the judges!)  :glare:

Bake-off 2015 was on Dutch telly this summer, I was at my parents' a lot, and while my mum and I sat ooh-ing and aah-ing over those plucky bakers' incredible creations, my dad (who is Statler and Waldorf and Charlie Brooker rolled into one) loosened a steady stream of variations on the how-dare-you theme at the screen whenever Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry came on. Most fun I've had since watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie with those two. :lol:

I LIVE FOR BAKE OFF OMG. 

I can't quite believe they tried to make an American version? It's such an English show. But man, it's so tense! I feel like I would be as pissy if someone spoiled GBBO for me as I would be if they spoiled like, Game of Thrones. 

I also can't believe they didn't address the are-Jaffa-cakes-cakes-or-biscuits controversy. (I don't care what the courts say. They're biscuits and everyone eats them as biscuits and they are sold IN THE BISCUIT AISLE.) 

But yeah! It's such a good show. I already have a couple of favourites to win, but mainly I'm in it to drool over cake and bread and other baked goods. It makes me want to learn how to bake! 

57 minutes ago, bangbang said:

I can't quite believe they tried to make an American version? It's such an English show.

All I can imagine is that it's because of the global nature of everything these days.  There might be an Italian version, a Turkish version, a Chinese version, etc.  :laugh:

I'm afraid all these bizarre cake recipes leave me cold, but I was fascinated by the doc in which Nadiya went " home" to Bangla Desh.  Actually it was very like Konnie Huq's similar trip; both their grandfathers had dominated the village and constructed huge single storied mansions with elaborate wings for the many children; in fact genuine bungalows, I assume.  The cooking parts were almost interesting in this context.

As to Jaffa cakes, there is a clue in the name; as the legal judgement said, cakes go hard over time, biscuits go soggy if they change at all, or simply get stale.  Is there a special cake aisle in the shops?

On 06/09/2016 at 5:23 PM, Erik said:

They made an American version that I think only lasted one season.  :(

Food shows and competitions are a guilty pleasure of mine.  :yes:

(Even if I sometimes HATE the judges!)  :glare:

I heard that they made an American version at one point, but I can't imagine that it would last that long because...it's just such a British show, I don't know? :lol: I've heard there's an Australian version that's apparently pretty good though!

On 07/09/2016 at 8:19 PM, March Hare said:

Bake-off 2015 was on Dutch telly this summer, I was at my parents' a lot, and while my mum and I sat ooh-ing and aah-ing over those plucky bakers' incredible creations, my dad (who is Statler and Waldorf and Charlie Brooker rolled into one) loosened a steady stream of variations on the how-dare-you theme at the screen whenever Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry came on. Most fun I've had since watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie with those two. :lol:

Oh my gosh, March, that sounds hilarious. :lol::rofl: 

7 hours ago, bangbang said:

I LIVE FOR BAKE OFF OMG. 

I can't quite believe they tried to make an American version? It's such an English show. But man, it's so tense! I feel like I would be as pissy if someone spoiled GBBO for me as I would be if they spoiled like, Game of Thrones. 

I also can't believe they didn't address the are-Jaffa-cakes-cakes-or-biscuits controversy. (I don't care what the courts say. They're biscuits and everyone eats them as biscuits and they are sold IN THE BISCUIT AISLE.) 

But yeah! It's such a good show. I already have a couple of favourites to win, but mainly I'm in it to drool over cake and bread and other baked goods. It makes me want to learn how to bake! 

YEEEE~

It's so so tense! I always avoid the internet until I've seen it each week for fear of spoilers. :lol: And I know right!! I guess they were in cake week though I think, so does that mean the Bake Off just classes them as cakes...? I almost feel like they should have a separate category all of their own? Just a Jaffa cake category?

That's mostly what I do too, because the bakes are always so super cool! I doubt I could ever bake anything as good as that, but I can aspire. :laugh: Who are your favourites to win, if you don't mind me asking? ^_^

2 hours ago, count de tiszula said:

I'm afraid all these bizarre cake recipes leave me cold, but I was fascinated by the doc in which Nadiya went " home" to Bangla Desh.  Actually it was very like Konnie Huq's similar trip; both their grandfathers had dominated the village and constructed huge single storied mansions with elaborate wings for the many children; in fact genuine bungalows, I assume.  The cooking parts were almost interesting in this context.

As to Jaffa cakes, there is a clue in the name; as the legal judgement said, cakes go hard over time, biscuits go soggy if they change at all, or simply get stale.  Is there a special cake aisle in the shops?

I feel like Jaffa cakes are just Jaffa cakes, I dunno. I mean, they have the texture of cakes, though, so...? :lol:

It seems the Beeb cannot afford to broadcast the format any more and it has been snapped up by C4.  Mel and Sue have announced they will not be going with it, and Berry and Hollywood no one yet knows.  Much complaint because an hour-long show will change to a 48 min programme with 12 mins of adverts.....

Of course the Beeb make now make a "new" programme called "the top cake show" or something...  

On 8.9.2016 at 3:26 PM, bangbang said:

GB supermarkets have two different aisles for biscuits and cakes?!?!?

I am moving. :heart:

STOP Press:   Paul Hollywood is going to c4 with the programme. Mel and Sue and Mary Berry are not...   Berry says she is loyal to the Beeb, which being  interpreted means they have already offered her a new programme, doubtless called  something like "tHe wonderful cake programme and nothing to do with the great british bake off"....

On 15 September 2016 at 2:41 PM, March Hare said:

GB supermarkets have two different aisles for biscuits and cakes?!?!?

I am moving. :heart:

YUP. In smaller supermarkets they're usually in the same aisle at different ends - in larger ones, the biscuits are normally near the crackers/crisps and the cake is usually near the bread.

I'm aware that it's the pettiest thing of all time, but I've chosen my hill to die on and it's the ridiculous categorisation of Jaffa Cakes. 

I want Andrew, Benjamina, or Selasi to win. I also love Rav, because his stuff always looks delicious when it goes right, but when it goes wrong it goes REALLY WRONG so unless he seriously pulls his socks up he's not going to make it much further. 

I find it hilarious that Paul is the only one staying because he's the one that I (and most others I've spoken to about this) see as the least necessary! Really hoping that there's some licensing loophole that lets Mary, Sue and Mel start a BBC show called Star Baker or something. They can replace Paul with a Hairy Biker, or one of the Fabulous Baker Brothers, or Nigella Lawson. 

(Although, botanical week? What's that all about?)

I need a Hairy Biker on the Bake Off. :rofl:

One of my friends told me yesterday that the BBC are apparently starting a new baking competition programme with Mary Berry and Mel and Sue, but she reckons they'll end up being sued for the format. :lol:

I feel like Selasi and Benjamina are going to do well, too. Or at least I'd like them to!

Botanical week, though... yeah, I don't know about that? It could be really interesting from a design point of view, though.

• 1 year later...

*blows dust off of topic*

So this is some kind of a necrobump, but I didn't want to start a new topic, since there is already a topic for The Great British Bake-Off and two seemed a bit much :D

I've recently watched this year's "Stand Up for Cancer" Bake Off and thought it was absolutely hilarious and brilliant and was wondering if anybody else here has seen it and would like to talk about it ^_^

My favourite parts were the utter failure of Nick Hewer, the fact that Teri Hatcher was so excited about being on the show. Oh, and of course there was the thing where Martin Kemp put the buttercream in the oven :lmfao:

In case you've also watched this year's series, I'd be interested in what you thought about the new series and moderators.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aaahhhh @Selene I'm watching the latest series!!! And it's amazing!!! (I am currently one ep behind due to my laptop having had to be fixed, but I will be rectifying that asap, lol).

Do you have a fave contestant? :D

It's so difficult to decide! Last year, I had an instant-favourite (Steven 😍 ) but this year I am torn :D I really like Kim-Joy and admire her for her cute little cat designs and think she's super cute... ah but the more I think of the other candidates the more my heart goes out to them. Soo.... as of yet, I am still undecided :lol:

What about you @MaiMai?

@Heathcliff Thanks for posting this :lmfao: Now I have this song stuck in my head - and miss Mary Berry.

THAT SONG OMG I LOVE IT :rofl:

And @Selene, I really like Kim-Joy too! Her turtles-in-space dessert was the most adorable thing ever :wub: I also love Rahul too (though I'm probably biased with that, because he works at my university! :laugh: ) But he's just so sweet!

At first, I thought that Paul would not like the turtle design because he seemed so weirded out by the concept, but then he praised it and I was so happy! ^_^ Oh and Rahul is super sweet! I love how nervous he is, although he creates these beautiful bakes... :heart: And I don't think he puts up a show or downplays his talent, but that he is genuinely nervous and worried every time. (So cool that he is someone from your university, by the way! ^^)

Yesss I was so happy too! (I also loved her design with the cat wedding, that was adorable :wub: ) I think so too, he is such a sweetheart! (It is pretty cool, especially bc my uni is super supportive of him and posts about the Bake Off every week all over their social media now! :laugh: ) Also, I cried SO HARD when Terry left, omg. (Once again I am one episode behind lol but I might watch last night's this evening :lol:

I really had to hold my tongue and not say anything about Terry in my last post because I wasn't sure if you'd already seen the episode or not. TERRY! You will be missed! His final words were so touching. And I think he is a great baker, but has struggled with the time limits quite a bit, and he was very unlucky with some of his earlier creations (The Eiffel Tower design for example).

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion on his week's episode! :)

Archived