Sneeze Fetish Forum

Handkerchief use in the movie "Quiz Show"

Luisa39

I just got done watching the 1994 movie Quiz Show for the first time -- a perfect little film that I highly recommend.  It's set in the 1950's, and as one might expect it contains handkerchief use, the users being stars John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes (who was particularly cute and handsome in 1994!) .  As nervous contestants being grilled on a TV quiz show, both men use their handkerchiefs to dab perspiration from their faces at more than one point during the film.  I just thought I'd mention this to all you lovers of handkerchiefs, so that if you haven't seen the film you could check it out, or at least check out the relevant scenes.  (But maybe some of you have already seen Quiz Show, and know which scenes I'm talking about.)

On 9/20/2016 at 9:44 AM, Handkerchief Fan said:

Are you a handkerchief user yourself Luisa, if so, how many do you have and how often do you use them?

I myself am not a handkerchief user at present; the only time I'd consider using handkerchiefs is for special occasions, like going to the theatre or opera.  I did used to own some lace-edged, linen handkerchiefs that were given to me as gifts when I was a young teenager, but I honestly don't know what happened to them.

However, I can't recall a time when I didn't like handkerchiefs and (especially) the sight of men using them!

On 9/20/2016 at 0:24 PM, CharliesGirl said:

Oooh Ralph Fiennes circa 1994? Yummy! I've never seen the movie but want to watch it now. 

As a little preview, CharliesGirl, here's a moment from the film involving Mr. Fiennes.  Just go to about 2:47 of the video:

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:36 AM, Luisa39 said:

I myself am not a handkerchief user at present; the only time I'd consider using handkerchiefs is for special occasions, like going to the theatre or opera.  I did used to own some lace-edged, linen handkerchiefs that were given to me as gifts when I was a young teenager, but I honestly don't know what happened to them.

However, I can't recall a time when I didn't like handkerchiefs and (especially) the sight of men using them!

Well you should treat yourself to some handkerchiefs then.

• 2 months later...

Any use of handkerchiefs is good, usually. My only complaint about movies like this  is when they just barely dab a streaming brow, rather than effectively mopping it! Because the actors aren't supposed to smear their makeup. I want to see full intensive glorious handkerchief use! :-)

3 hours ago, allergyboy2001 said:

Any use of handkerchiefs is good, usually. My only complaint about movies like this  is when they just barely dab a streaming brow, rather than effectively mopping it! Because the actors aren't supposed to smear their makeup. I want to see full intensive glorious handkerchief use! :-)

Interesting.  I think the thing about movies -- or any kind of drama, in fact -- is that, even though they're a visual medium, they do require a certain suspension of disbelief on the part of the audience in order for certain situations to seem "real."  

In Quiz Show I think the point is that the characters played by Fiennes and Turturro are supposed to appear elegant to their TV audiences (and to us), hence their delicate dabbing of their brows.  But I would be interested to know of any films in which the handkerchief use is more "intense."

Gonna be difficult: apart from dabbing and ridicule (Hot shot, Charlie Sheen blows a balloon of snot in a handkerchief as crying soldier) it will be hard to find any use. I guess television series are easier, I remember an editor of a newspaper in an 80's series who blew his nose in a beige handkerchief.

There's an old Twilight Zone episode where a character mops his face in the first couple minutes. I will have to try to remember which one. But I think the guy was a salesman sitting behind the steering wheel at a gas station, and he is about to essentially drive back in time to his childhood town.

The first five minutes of "Twelve Angry Men" is another classic example of realistic handkerchief use, to wipe away sweat. It seems they were less concerned about makeup effects in black-and-white films.

But I didn't intend to hijack your thread, :-) and I'm just glad when movies or TV shows use handkerchiefs at all. 

23 hours ago, allergyboy2001 said:

There's an old Twilight Zone episode where a character mops his face in the first couple minutes. I will have to try to remember which one. But I think the guy was a salesman sitting behind the steering wheel at a gas station, and he is about to essentially drive back in time to his childhood town.

Oh yes, that's "Walking Distance" starring Gig Young.  A classic episode.

12 hours ago, allergyboy2001 said:

The first five minutes of "Twelve Angry Men" is another classic example of realistic handkerchief use, to wipe away sweat. It seems they were less concerned about makeup effects in black-and-white films.

But I didn't intend to hijack your thread, :-) and I'm just glad when movies or TV shows use handkerchiefs at all. 

Not at all.  Actually, Twelve Angry Men is one of my favorite films; I'd completely forgotten about the handkerchief use in it, though!  Thanks for the reminder.

Archived