Sneeze Fetish Forum

'A Denobulan's week' SS for SleepingPhlox. ST: Enterprise (M)

Mercury

A/N: Sorry for the lateness @SleepingPhlox. I was going to wait until I had more written, but figured maybe posting it in short parts might be fairer to you.
While I'm probably more familiar with ENT than I am with the other 'treks, I've never written in the fandom before. I rewatched Phlox's main episodes, then somehow watched a few seasons without realising. I wish I had a better excuse for being late, but I don't. I got sucked in.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Day One: The Prologue

In general, the Humans aboard the Enterprise seemed to be vulnerable to more pathogens than their Denobulan and Vulcan shipmates. Doctor Phlox had encountered some exceptions to the rule, but Humans were relatively simplistic in their bbiology and particularly vulnerable to some of the most infectious things in the universe, such as the Tblthian measles or unbridled curiosity.

Both the delightful curiosity and physical vulnerability could easily be explained by how new humanity was new to the universe. Humans had only recently acquired warp drive and, from an evolutionary perspective, were quite a young species.

Denoblulans had existed for almost four times as long as the human race, not quite as long as the Vulcans but for a respectable number of generations nonetheless. As such, Phlox’s immune system was hearty enough to withstand the more common ailments that plagued the crew from time to time.

The newness of Humans was perhaps what he enjoyed most about being on the Enterprise. To observe how a species behaved when exposed to an entirely new stimuli was a rare and intriguing experience. The crew, Captain Archer in particular, frequently surprised the doctor with how particularly stubborn and consistently adaptable Humans could be. They seemed to be wonderfully and consistently inconsistent.

Despite their being dubious of his more alternative medical treatments, they had permitted him to travel down onto a planet with an exploratory away party, so that he could harvest some plants and collect a specific species of insect’s larvae. The captain didn’t take much convincing, but he did get some odd looks from Lieutenant Reed when he described the insect’s ability to burrow through the tear ducts and repair nerve damage.

Most of his patients squirmed at the idea of some of his medial treatments but accepted them gratefully when said treatments were required, and Phlox hadn’t take the Lieutenant’s disgust as a deterrent. The larvae would be invaluable, despite any protests to the contrary.

‘Doctor Phlox?’

The Denobulan looked up from his PADD at the sound of the Midshipman Pearce’s hesitation. The young entomologist was not in the room, but directing his gaze towards the comm seemed to be appropriate, as he was unable to venture into the quarantined antechamber with the decon radiation still active.

‘The analysis has come back,’ his voice carried with it an odd Earth accent that Phlox was unfamiliar with. It did not impede the doctor’s comprehension, but to be slightly irritating. ‘The virus compromising your immune system has been sorted out. It’s now inert.’

‘Ah! Excellent!’

Phlox smiled widely and stood. He stretched his arms above his head and then bent backwards to stretch out his fifty-one vertebra until his fingers brushed the floor. He had been sitting alone in decon for hours and his body ached.

‘But we’ve detected something else. The computer is showing the Denobulan Sinistra Virus in your system. It’s not providing much information about how to synthesise anything to counteract it.’

‘No, it wouldn’t I’m afraid.’ Phlox tried not to sound too disappointed but huffed slightly, ‘Sinistra has no cure or effective treatment, but it should pass within a week and is only contagious amongst Denobulans. It is somewhat correlative with your common cold. It’s extremely mild and I should be fine.’

The blue light of the chamber flicked off and Phlox gave an approving sound before moving to the door. The Denobulan flu was a stroke of bad luck and he knew he must have picked it up from Feezal on her last visit, but as one need not be showing symptoms to pass it on it was hardly her fault.

And as he wasn’t contagious to anyone on the ship, there was no reason why he couldn’t continue his duties. He had fauna to attend to, creatures to supervise, and an enclosure to construct for his newly acquired larvae. If he were to raise and breed them then the conditions needed to be optimal.

As he left decon, Midshipman Pearce gave Phlox a warm, but human-sized smile. While being the ships head entomologist, the only other being on the ship that would appreciate the insect Phlox had collected, he also had enough medical training to have helped Phlox out in sickbay a few times, and they had enjoyed their expedition to the surface together.

‘If you’re sure you’ll be alright, I’ll return to my duties. But if you need medical assistance or relief staff, just comm.’

‘You have my word.’

... TBC...

OK I just...holy crap, this means a lot to me.  I never thought in a million years that anyone would write something like this.  The fact that you went to the added effort of rewatching stuff to make this possible is so above and beyond.  Even if it's "late", which it's not really, it's like what, a whole day after most people got theirs?  Because you were doing research? Seems fair. :D  Also don't blame you for getting sucked in.  That series was good, it deserved better reception than it got and ended too soon.

And the fic itself is just  perfect so far.  The little facts and details can really make a fic for me and you've included them in spades.  For a science fiction nerd like me, that really heightens the enjoyment.  And of course the whole "this race rarely gets sick but then there was this one time..." thing is something I dig big time.  And your writing.  Wow.

I really lucked out on Secret Santa this year.  You have my gratitude. Thank you.

Also the timing couldn't be better, I'm two days back at work and woke up feeling annoyed at the concept of mornings and the rat race and now I'm full of sunshine I can't even.

Day Two: The Beginning

Phlox’s head ached. But The larvae seemed to be enjoying they’re new habitat, with some already showing signs of moving into the pupa stage, and it brightened the doctor to see them thriving.

No one had come into sickbay yet, which had left Phlox time to care for his creatures, although their unsettled noises around feeding time had shot through his skull and he’d tended to them quickly, not conversing with them as he usually did.

It was only 1300 and Phlox could already feel his body begging for sleep. It was an unusual feeling as Denobulan’s didn’t require frequent rest, but he took it as a good sign that his body was preferred to fight the flu that was trying to gain foothold.

He stood next to the small sickbay resequencer, waiting for it to finish pouring his water. There was a sharp flitter in the back of his throat that occasionally seemed to travel up his sinuses, although not yet close to his nasal reflex nerve to provoke a response.

Phlox sniffed and rubbed at his nose, but hastily threw his hands behind his back in polite attention when he heard the sickbay doors slide open.

Hoshi entered with a warm smile.

Good afternoon, Ensign,’ He cheered, ignoring the rough edges of his voice. ‘What can I do for you?’

Oh, I just came to see how you were. Word in the corridors is that you picked up a fatal alien disease from the planet surface.’ She was still grinning, but the doctor saw her look him over, checking for any signs that he was unwell.

Phlox coughed in what he hoped was reminiscent of a disbelieving laugh, ‘Hardly. It’s one of the very few viruses common to my people. Nothing more than a slight irritation.’

But you are sick?’

Well... technically’ Phlox turned back to grab his glass of water and made his way over to the tabletop where he had set down a large enclosure. He felt bad dismissing her, but wanted to take a sip of the water without her seeing him wince as he swallowed around a hot coal in this throat.

I appreciate your concern,’ he offered as an apology for his rudeness, ‘but I am and will continue to be fine.’

Hoshi was silent for a moment, but he could sense her moving closer to him. He knew she had picked up on his irritation, and probably the coarseness in his voice. She was one of the best communications officers he’d met, and tone and body language were an important part of understanding words not spoken.

These the new recruits?’

Phlox relaxed.

Yes, and they’re doing quite well after their relocation.’

Lieutenant Reed was just in the mess hall telling Travis that they bore through your eyeball and into your brain. Of course, it had to be on a day when they were serving mac and cheese. I’ve never seen Travis leave any on his plate before.’

Phlox chuckled. He didn’t know what ‘mac’ was, but he had experienced cottage cheese and could imagine the resemblance to a human brain might be off putting.

Unfortunately, the small chuckle sent vibrations through his palate and travelled upward.

He reached to the lower bench where he had placed one of the tissue dispensers. He tore out three and pressed them tightly against his nose before he turned away from his friend, already inhaling in preparation.

The expulsion echoed through the airsacs that ran along the ridges of his face. They hadn’t taken in any air, but they still contacted with the release, causing a swift, dense expulsion.

Phlox felt dizzy for a moment, a natural response, and he felt a sharp pain through his side from when he’d twisted away before doubling over, his muscles having pulled at an odd angle.

Mai Kt’duulm

‘Thank you.’

The Denobulan deposited the used tissue into the bin. He was aware that some humans reused them, or carried material that could be reused, but the thought made him cringe. Hygiene was of utmost importance when people lived in close quarters.

‘You should rest, doctor.’ the last word was particularly emphasised. ‘I’ll take care of these little guys for a while.’

‘Mmm, perhaps you’re right. Although I could use something to eat first. Would you care to join me?’

‘Sure. As long as you promise you’ll go straight from the mess hall to your quarters.’

The seriousness underlying the playful tone told him that agreement wasn’t optional, so he nodded and gave a small, hopefully reassuring smile. He wasn’t particularly hungry, and he knew the longer he was around Hoshi the more likely it was that she’d realise he was downplaying how lousy he felt.

But it would also help to calm her worries. The last thing he wanted was for anyone to worry about him.

...TBC...

Oh wow.  What can I even say?  Slow progression of an illness?  Little facts and details that make it authentic?  Phlox and Hoshi  interaction?  I am a very lucky person to be rewarded with this in my life.

Your writing is amazing.  I am on my phone so it is hard to quote but as I am reading there are constantly lines and turns of phrase that make me stop and admire how they were written.  

I wish this fandom were more popular so this were getting a bit more attention because what you have created deserves it!

• 4 weeks later...

A/N: @SleepingPhlox I'm so glad you're liking it. I don't know how long of a wait there'll be between parts now as my school year is about to start back up and I'll be applying for full-time work. but I shall continue writing! I have everything planned out so it'll just be a matter of finding time to get my arse in a seat and words on a page.
I hope the spellings in this mesh with your headcannon (I tried to model them off ones you've used for Phlox before) I know how jarring it can be when they don't.
Enjoy :)

Day Three: The Calm

The quarters allocated to Phlox were fairly large in comparison to the other crew members’. He’d tried to explain to the starfleet official that it was quite necessary as he wouldn’t be spending much time there. His shift rotation was longer than most others, as he could work for much longer periods than humans without fatigue interfering, and in his spare time he preferred to be amongst the crew.

For decoration he had a few jars filled with Denobulan plants and small creatures, and one held a small figure given to him by a human child he had treated while he was on earth. It was a small figure made from a mineral known as Lego, held in the same preserving liquid as the others.

Phlox knew that even if his room were full of artwork, photos or sculptures it would still fell empty and boring. Denobulan homes were alive and buzzing with people, as any member of a family was welcome to come, go and stay as they wished.

He had been in his ship’s quarters for just over twelve hours, drifting in and out of sleep. It was an unnerving experience to be alone for such a time and his head ached too much for him to read.

Despite the unprecedented rest he was getting, Phlox’s symptoms were getting worse. His sinuses were irritated and being persistently annoying. He was certain that his temperature had risen several degrees, but was still within a reasonable range.

The next shift started in a few hours hour and he was more than capable of going on duty. He couldn’t stand being stuck in his quarters for much longer, but without needing to get up for his work quite yet, Phlox had found himself without the energy to move.

But, there were creatures that needed to be fed, and he wanted to check on the progression of his new insect companions before he had to start.

He hoisted himself up and swung his legs off the edge of the bed. For a moment it felt like the inertial dampeners were offline. The motion, both physical and imaginary, shifted in his sinuses and he felt his nose flair for a moment before he involuntary inhaled.

HhhEZHISHHH!’

The door chimed as his body bobbed back up.

Just a bomet, please.’

It took four tissues to clean himself up. Phlox did so with as much haste as he could, giving his nose a few sharp, short huffs into the material before disposing of them. He knew he had probably been a bit rough with his nose in his hurry to answer the door, and the evidence of that would be quite visible, but it was rude to keep a visitor waiting.

He granted his guest entry and the door slid open.

Captain, to what do I owe this visit? I trust you’re well or I would have been summoned to sickbay, hm?’

Captain Archer smiled and raised his hands in a human’s placating gesture. ‘No, no. Actually it’s your health that brings me here, not mine.’

Phlox scoffed and offered the captain a seat on the nearby desk chair as he sat back down on the side of the bed.

I’m perfectly fine. I keep telling people that but they still insist on worrying.’

Well for starters, you’re not looking so hot. But we’ve never seen you get sick. I mean, we’ve even seen T’pol under the weather. We just care about you.’

I know that. And I appreciate the concern, as unwarranted as it is. I don’t know how I’m supposed to work when everyone looks like they expect me just keel over at any moment.’

Well...’ The captain’s brown furrowed, and Phlox felt something in him sink. ‘you won’t have to worry about that for a while. I’m taking you off duty for a few days. Just... until you don’t look like you’re about to keel over at any moment.’

Captain Archer gave an apologetic smile, but Phlox’s displeasure must have shown on his face, because the captain’s authority flashed through his eyes and his face grew serious.

That’s captain’s orders. I know it’s just a cold, or the Denobulan equivalent anyway, but things are quiet at the moment. What harm could there be in taking a day’s bedrest?’

Phlox could think of several things wrong with a day in bed, namely how incredibly boring being alone in his room could be. It was possible that he could venture out into the mess hall again, and with the captain on the bridge for the majority of the day, he could easily achieve it.

But his body seemed to be going against him, and he felt his nostrils and inner cranial valves flare again before he was aware of what was about to happen. The doctor hadn’t even noticed the tickle creeping up on him.

Panic fluttered in his heart and he turned away from the captain and wrapped an arm around his face.

HhhEhhISSHHHT! ESHHSZHHH!’

Phlox blinked. Multiple sneezes were extremely rare amongst the denobulans, given the force behind the expulsions one was usually more than enough to dispel any irritation.

When he looked up through irritated tears at his captain, Phlox was ready to apologise for the interruption, but was pleasantly surprised to see Captain Archer looking at him with a healthy degree of amusement and the entire box of tissues being offered from his hand.

Usually humans needed some sort of reassurance that the drastic differences in sneezes species to species were to be expected, in their inexperience it wasn’t something that usually occurred to them, but Archer didn’t seem phased in the slightest.

The doctor took advantage of the captains intuition regarding the tissues and pulled out seven or so.

Gesundheit.’

Phlox nodded his thanks at the sentiment. As he didn’t recognise the language he assumed it was one of the many Earth languages he’d had little to no exposure to. He made a note to ask Hoshi about it next time they saw each other.

I think,’ the captain continued, ‘your body agrees with me.’

Perhabs. But only a single day in bed will be sufficient. Doctor’s orders.’

Archer rose to his feet. ‘Deal. But I’m sure Pearce and Cutler can handle sickbay until you’ve well and truly recovered.’

Phlox nodded and bid the captain farewell. He didn’t doubt either of his shipmate’s ability to run the infirmary in his absence, but his ability to stay out of their way and recover quietly? He doubted it greatly.

He settled back into bed. Maybe he would take a page out of the Vulcan texts and try to initiate a healing trance. He knew the theory and, although their physiology was vastly different, Phlox decided that trying to achieve even a weak facsimile would be an interesting challenge to occupy his time.

Maybe the captain was right. What harm could there be in a day of rest...

On 2/2/2017 at 9:08 PM, Mercury said:

He didn’t doubt either of his shipmate’s ability to run the infirmary in his absence, but his ability to stay out of their way and recover quietly? He doubted it greatly.

LOL

I am sorry I was not able to respond to this until now.  It is really hard to get forum time when the main source of my internet access is at work! Which is a shame because that last part deserves praise to the high heavens.  Your attention to detail and characterisation has been amazing so far, but this part in particular is just...I can't even think of an adequate word.  There are also so many lines that I appreciated for their wit, or for their wonderful descriptions, and I just can't quote them all, but the line about the Lego is going to stick with me. 

I also very much loved the inclusion of the difference between species in sneezing.  I don't know if it technically counts as a headcanon since Phlox has dialogue in an episode that seems to suggest it, though the species of the patient he refers to is never specified, but we do know that human colds appear amusingly weak to his eyes so... :D

One of my great wishes in life was to read a Phlox sickfic and I feel so damn lucky that now that I am reading one, it's so unbelievably GOOD.

Archived