Sneeze Fetish Forum

Shy about saying the word "handkerchief"?

Luisa39

Many sneeze-lovers on the Forum have expressed a reluctance to say or even write the word "sneeze," because of the associations it conjures up.  Do any of the other handkerchief-lovers here feel similarly about saying or writing "handkerchief"?

Tbh, it was only recently that I've been able to feel okay about writing the word, and I'm still shy about saying it aloud.  For whatever reason, I find it much "easier" to say if I pronounce it with a long "e" ("handkercheef"), rather than with a short "i" sound.  (Incidentally, I find the first pronunciation is more common among British people than it is among my fellow Americans.)  "Hanky," on the other hand, is a word I cannot say at all; I actually hate it, because to my ears it sounds childish and silly.  (And I don't particularly like to write it, either.) 

How do others here feel about this topic?

2 hours ago, Luisa39 said:

Many sneeze-lovers on the Forum have expressed a reluctance to say or even write the word "sneeze," because of the associations it conjures up.  Do any of the other handkerchief-lovers here feel similarly about saying or writing "handkerchief"?

Tbh, it was only recently that I've been able to feel okay about writing the word, and I'm still shy about saying it aloud.  For whatever reason, I find it much "easier" to say if I pronounce it with a long "e" ("handkercheef"), rather than with a short "i" sound.  (Incidentally, I find the first pronunciation is more common among British people than it is among my fellow Americans.)  "Hanky," on the other hand, is a word I cannot say at all; I actually hate it, because to my ears it sounds childish and silly.  (And I don't particularly like to write it, either.) 

Yessssss! I can't say the word handkerchief to save my life! Hankie is a little bit easier but I'm still not saying it outside the realm of the fetish. I happen to really like collecting and using hankies. I own about 100 of them, but it's kind of a secret! 

I'm not into handkerchieves at all. But they are still so closely linked to other things I like that yes, I am much too embarrassed to actually say the word. Just like you, I also kind of hate the word "hanky" (to the point where I just cringed a little while spelling it), I'm not exactly sure why. "Tissue" on the other hand is something I manage to say out loud, even though the concept of tissues appeals much more to me and I prefer them being used in stories and stuff.

I would probably light myself on fire before I said the shortened form of this word, I hate it so much. :lol: The long form is a little easier, but I still stumble over it. Luckily there are next to zero contexts in which I'd seriously need to say it the way a normal person would.

I'm pretty much the same as Junia, in as much as I will generally avoid saying it, but if I have to, it would always be the full word, rather than the abbreviated version.

22 minutes ago, Junia said:

I would probably light myself on fire before I said the shortened form of this word, I hate it so much. :lol:

Right?! :rofl: What is it about that word, though...? I mean, for me personally, weird South Park associations may be to blame. :lol: But that can't be the extent of it? There seems to be something about the word itself that makes it super cringe-worthy?

6 minutes ago, Sophie<3 said:

There seems to be something about the word itself that makes it super cringe-worthy?

I think to me it just sounds sort of juvenile and cutesy and that kind of thing sends my personal horn running screaming in the opposite direction. When that sort of juvenile/cutesy-sounding language is applied to other areas of my fetish I get the same visceral hateful reaction, so I think that's probably the source for me.

Omg, it's just a very bad word and I hate it a lot. :lol: 

I find myself feeling awkward saying most words relating to the fetish; sneeze (sneezing, sneezes, etc), allergies, tissues, handkerchiefs. Though there is a road near me called Pocket Handkerchief Lane, so I have to say it fairly regularly. It's gotten to be just a normal word for me now in that context but I don't think I'd use it in THAT context comfortably :lol:

As for the abbreviated version of handkerchief, I work with someone with that as a surname. I avoid them like the plague. CAN YOU IMAGINE!? Being one of us and THAT being your surname? fire. hellfire. 

21 minutes ago, Joal 555 said:

I'm pretty much the same as Junia, in as much as I will generally avoid saying it, but if I have to, it would always be the full word, rather than the abbreviated version.

I'm also laughing at this, because I vaguely remember informing you how much I admire your bravery last time we met because you can say so many :naughty: words so flawlessly xD

5 minutes ago, PuddinPop said:

I'm also laughing at this, because I vaguely remember informing you how much I admire your bravery last time we met because you can say so many :naughty: words so flawlessly xD

Well, thank you! But saying them in front of you (my fellow fetishist and partner in crime :P ) is one thing, but saying the abbreviated version of handkerchief to a non-fetishist, or to anyone for that matter, is a definite no!

:joal:

I do not like saying it though I have on rare occasions. (Much like Joal it was infront of other fetishists) I can type it/read it no problems. Like Puds, it's one of several words I hate saying and agree with the shorter version, I'd rather be on fire. 

I don't have any fetish interest in handkerchiefs, at best I barely tolerate them. They're a personal turn-off. But this topic is interesting to me because it kind of blows up my recent hypothesis that difficulty saying a (fetish-related) word = huge turn on by that particular thing. I'm not one of those people who has trouble saying "sneeze" or "sneezing" but to this day if I had to tell a group of adults "I have a cold" my mortal soul would leave my body. ("I have a chest cold"? Pretty sure I would burst into flames before my immediate death.)

But I cringe intensely at the shortened form of handkerchief even though it's the most un-erotic thing in the world to me. I do like nose blowing, but in the context of related symptoms such as sneezing and sniffling. Maybe because the abbreviated form of handkerchief sucks out any erotic thrill I could possibly get? The juvenile connotation is a huge squick. "Do you need a h---y?" is something a parent might ask a small child.

On 3/14/2017 at 8:42 PM, Kalla said:

I don't have any fetish interest in handkerchiefs, at best I barely tolerate them. They're a personal turn-off. But this topic is interesting to me because it kind of blows up my recent hypothesis that difficulty saying a (fetish-related) word = huge turn on by that particular thing. I'm not one of those people who has trouble saying "sneeze" or "sneezing" but to this day if I had to tell a group of adults "I have a cold" my mortal soul would leave my body. ("I have a chest cold"? Pretty sure I would burst into flames before my immediate death.)

But I cringe intensely at the shortened form of handkerchief even though it's the most un-erotic thing in the world to me. I do like nose blowing, but in the context of related symptoms such as sneezing and sniffling. Maybe because the abbreviated form of handkerchief sucks out any erotic thrill I could possibly get? The juvenile connotation is a huge squick. "Do you need a h---y?" is something a parent might ask a small child.

On a related note, I once heard someone totally unattractive to me use the word "handkerchief" -- and I was so squicked out I almost left the room!

I am, but only because it's an ugly word, regardless of any fetishy connections it has. Hanky is even worse. :sick: And I hate the name Hank.

Handkerchief is a word which is really de-sexualised for me, unlike tissue, which is the opposite. Though I am a 100% handkerchief user (never would use tissues, at least other than when in the toilet).

On 3/17/2017 at 6:34 PM, AnonyMouse said:

I am, but only because it's an ugly word, regardless of any fetishy connections it has. Hanky is even worse. :sick: And I hate the name Hank.

Yes.  In my opinion, the Italian word for it, "fazzoletto," is much nicer.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I like "hanky" too. I grew up in a blue-collar town in the US and this was the most common term, including adults talking to each other. Saying "handkerchief" meant you were being very formal or even stuck up. Hanky was an everyday term, used among ourselves, it marked you as an insider to the community. I like both terms but hanky (or hankie) is almost more intimate.

Like in many cases, I agree with Rhino! :-)

At the same time, I don't mean to be argumentative - just saying it's cultural. :-)

And to be more on-topic, I used to have a hard time saying either word, but forced myself to do it and have become a little more desensitized.

4 hours ago, rhinoceros said:

...and just to add, Luisa, I too have noticed the tendency for Americans to shorten the final syllable of "handkerchief" ("chiff") and for English people (but maybe not Scots or Irish?) to lengthen it ("cheef"). I lengthen it because, coming from where I do, the shorter version sounds affected to me (as Allergy Boy says, it's cultural, not meant to be judgmental). 

I totally understand!:)  I'm American and don't like the "shorter" version much, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...now my life is almost complete, because I've just heard one of my favorite actors, Ralph Fiennes, say THE WORD (albeit in character as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights).  It happens at about 0:26 of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W__xph6Pyk4

And he even pronounces it in my preferred fashion:  i.e. handkercheef.  I'm, overjoyed! :thumbs_up:  I mean, I may be shy about saying the word, but I love to hear actors I find "hot" say it.

• 8 months later...
On 3/14/2017 at 2:06 AM, Luisa39 said:

We are virtual clones in every respect--l can't believe how much--except l love to use the word if women hear it.EEF and EEVES are my preferences too. I love calling a linens shop and saying it to the saleslady,or asking her in-person what they offer at a store counter   **Melt**

Archived