Sneeze Fetish Forum

Trelawny of the Wells

Bluebird

oh look, paws is on the hunt for HBC content again

I was going to just throw this in Looking For, but I was hoping to sort of incite a discussion by asking about this, I guess. Recently this play from 1915 has been brought to my attention from ye olde Tarot of Sneezing's Movies and TV list, in which it's stated that:

This is an old play (circa 1900?)by the extraordinarily named Arthur Wing Pinero. It's often revived in stage productions and features a great scene where the rebellious heroine o/d's on snuff and sneezes uncontrollably. (and loudly which "ladies" just didn't do in those days !).I saw a version of a stage production on tv a few years back which featured (I think) Helena Bonham Carter as the snuff snorter par excellance and it was great

Seeing as this was on a televised broadcast, I adamantly refuse to believe that it's been lost to the sands of time, despite what the rest of the Internet is making me think. From what I can understand, this production starred Sarah Brightman in addition to HBC, and it was produced in either 1992 1993 -- perhaps filmed the same year as well.

This truly does feel like a cry of desperation, but if anyone has supplementary info it would be most appreciated!!

Edited by Paws

Interesting!  It would indeed be great if someone could locate this production so that we could all see Helena Bonham Carter's acted sneezes!

On 7/23/2017 at 1:05 AM, Paws said:

(and loudly which "ladies" just didn't do in those days !).

This sounds like a potentially great plotline for a fic. A lady living in the early 1900s who has uncontrollable, loud sneezes who struggles with holding them back to be lady-like.

I think in the version you're referring to it was Sarah Brightman as the character Rose, although Helena Bonham-Carter was also in the cast. Rose's stage directions include "Rose gives way to a paroxysm of sneezing" and she is led away "helplessly".

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think that's the one! From what I can tell by the limited production photos, it seems to be a match.

• 3 years later...

Decided to revisit this topic, as one does when they're knee deep in having few other obligations -- and lo and behold, I found what I believe is a truncated version of the show that was performed as an audio drama for BBC Saturday Night Theatre! Two decent fakes in there, and plenty of buildup beforehand. ^_^

There appears to be an audiobook reading currently online as well, though I know much less about that at this point. I'll keep you posted if there are any interesting further developments!

(~37:15 if that stamp doesn't work.)

Thanks for finding and posting this. As you say, not bad fakes compared to many.

I was amused by "young ladies do not sneeze quite so continuously", which of course is nonsense in certain cases, for example people with uncontrollable rapid fire sneezes.

:joal: