Sneeze Fetish Forum

Any musical fans out there?

HakunaMatata

I'm curious! What's your favourite musical? Favourite song? Any rants about that one character that you just love way too much? What would you watch on Broadway if you had the chance?

I'm always happy to find other people who like musicals. C'mon, I can't be the only one here!

Not huge into musicals myself but one of my big dreams in life is to see Cats live on Broadway.  I enjoy the songs immensely but I'm utterly fascinated with how unique it is, from the costumes to the physicality that the performers embody.  I've seen recordings but I long to be there and experience the energy that only a live performance can bring.

I also really like the music from Chess but I wouldn't be too pushed on actually watching it.

I've seen performed live: Miss Saigon, Bye Bye Birdie, Grease, Les Miserables, and Phantom Of The Opera.  I think that's all of them.  I may be forgetting something.

Don't. Get. Me. Started. :lol:

PIPPIN. "Men and their wars! Sometimes I think men raise flags when they can't get anything else up." It was the very first musical I ever saw, a VERY GOOD amateur production in Dutch (enviable, mouth-watering translations that I've unfortunately never been able to trace) and I've loved it ever since. That music. (Also William Katt, HURR TO THE YUM :drool: )

Stephen Sondheim, pretty much across the board (although I've yet to learn to like "Sunday in the Park With George". In spite of Bernadette Peters!) but most particularly "Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street". (If you like it too, I highly recommend Musical Theatre Mash's Youtube vid "Miscast Mrs Lovett".)

And then of course there's Hamilton. :omg: I AM SUCH HAMILTRASH IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY.

I could seriously go on for miles on this topic. Also I've been part of a musical theatre group for more than three years now, and we're working on a new production at this very moment, writing our own script but using bits and pieces from numbers from known musicals. :D

1 hour ago, SleepingPhlox said:

Not huge into musicals myself but one of my big dreams in life is to see Cats live on Broadway.  I enjoy the songs immensely but I'm utterly fascinated with how unique it is, from the costumes to the physicality that the performers embody.  I've seen recordings but I long to be  there and experience the energy that only a live performance can bring.

I also really like the music from Chess but I wouldn't be too pushed on actually watching it.

I've seen performed live: Miss Saigon, Bye Bye Birdie, Grease, Les Miserables, and Phantom Of The Opera.  I think that's all of them.  I may be forgetting something.

I saw Cats live a while ago and absolutely adored the costumes and dancing. It's gorgeous!

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Don't. itet. Me. Started. :lol:

PIPPIN. "Men i rnd their wars! Sometimes I think men raise flags when they can't get anything else up." It was the very first musical I ever saw, a VERY GOOD amateur production in Dutch (enviable, mouth-watering translations that I've unfortunately never been able to trace) and I've loved it ever since. That music. (Also William Katt, HURR TO THE YUM :drool: )

Stephen Sondheim, pretty much across the board (although I've yet to learn to like "Sunday in the Park With George". In spite of Bernadette Peters!) but most particularly "Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street". (If you like it too, I highly recommend Musical Theatre Mash's Youtube vid "Miscast Mrs Lovett".)

And then of course there's Hamilton. :omg: I AM SUCH HAMILTRASH IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY.

I could seriously go on for miles on this topic. Also I've been part of a musical theatre group for more than three years now, and we're working on a new production at this very moment, writing our own script but using bits and pieces from numbers from known musicals. :D

Okay, that sounds really cool, I need to check that out soon!

Yes! Sweeney Todd! Sooo good! Can't stand Toby though. 

A FELLOW HAMILTON PERSON WHOO!

Holy shit, that sounds like so much fun! I wish I knew musical people IRL...

Argh, sorry for the short replies! I wanted to write so much more but whenever I try to quote someone my phone goes crazy and stops working properly which is extremely aggravating when you have a lot to say.

If you are having trouble quoting you can tag the person you are replying to to alert them instead by typing @ followed by their username.  Like this @HakunaMatata:)  They'll get an alert, and your phone might deal with it easier :)

@daystar428 Wicked is on my list of stuff I need to listen to. I know and love that one song about loathing but unfortunately that's it. For now anyway, I'm gonna listen to the whole thing soon.

pixiefurby124
44 minutes ago, HakunaMatata said:

@daystar428 Wicked is on my list of stuff I need to listen to. I know and love that one song about loathing but unfortunately that's it. For now anyway, I'm gonna listen to the whole thing soon.

If you are going to listen to any songs from Wicked do:

• Popular
  • Defying Gravity 
  • No One Mourns The Wicked

The first is a jokey sorta fun piece about the two main characters becoming friends, which helps make the plot that much more destructive later on.

The second is a INCREDIBLY POWERFUL piece about the main character overcoming fear and just being a overall badass.

The third is the first song in the entire play, and sets the mood for the coming events and why the main character is so weird.

Really, really good play! 

@pixiefurby124 Defying Gravity is from Wicked?? I had no idea! 0_0

I listened to the other two just now and will definitely make time for the rest of the show soon, I really liked these songs! Thank you for the recommendation!

*crawls out of the woodwork bc MUSICALS*

YES yes and a thousand times Y E S

A very condensed list: Falsettos, Fun Home, Next to Normal, tick tick Boom, Something Rotten, Great Comet, and Waitress.  I know I just mentioned a bunch of contemporary musicals but I know and love the classics.  I used to be obsessed with Hamilton but I've Ascended; it's not a bad show by any means but I don't really want to go into anything rn.  I was extremely lucky to see the revival run of Falsettos last year (twice!!) and I am still livid but I really wish I could have seen the Sunday in the Park with George revival and Great Comet.

@sapphiremint You like tick tick boom?? You're the first person I've found online who even knows that one! I am ridiculously excited right now :D

Something Rotten is hilarious, I've heard of the other ones you listed but haven't listened to them.

You guys. If you love musical theatre, this is the podcast you want:

jimandtomic dot com

I'm serious. These guys :heart: 

• 1 month later...
On 10-9-2017 at 2:37 AM, sapphiremint said:

I really wish I could have seen ... Great Comet.

OH MY GOODNESS ME TOO. I've had the cast recording on repeat for weeks now I LOVE IT SO MUCH. 

Have you listened to the podcasts Jim & Tomic did about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Sweeney Todd (Green Finch and Linnet Bird, Pretty Women)

Or maybe Little Shop of Horrors.

Also Jesus Christ Susperstar, although the music isn't great.

I'm gay for musicals. :)

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 10:22 PM, Heathcliff said:

GO WASH YOUR TYPING FINGERS WITH SOAP. Even if it IS Andrew Lloyd Webber, it IS great music.

Crawls into the thread really late....

I love musicals! I haven't had the chance to see any new ones in quite a while, with the exception of The Lion King.  I've been wanting to see that one for ages, and I was finally able to go earlier this year. It was amazing!!

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, Heathcliff said:

I love this one! I saw a revival production when I was a younger, with Carl Anderson as Judas. He was incredible. I've been hooked ever since ^_^

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, March Hare said:

GO WASH YOUR TYPING FINGERS WITH SOAP. Even if it IS Andrew Lloyd Webber, it IS great music.

Well, I love Andrew Lloyd Webber. I grew up on Phantom, Cats, JCS...I had all the piano books, and would play his stuff for hours on end. Granted, some of his stuff isn't great, and is pretty repetitive (I loved Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat when I was young...as I got older, I found the music to actually be pretty awful  :lol:) But for sentimental value, I'll always have a soft spot for ALW. 

Other than that- I also really like Sweeny Todd and Little Shop of Horrors. Also Wicked, 1776, Les Mis, Chicago, and Damn Yankees.  I've seen more, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind the most. (Although like I said, it's been quite awhile since I've seen anything new.)

As for your other questions...There are a ton of musicals I'd love to see. Chess, Book of Mormon, Newsies, Into the Woods, Hamiton!, and Ragtime, to name just a few. A few all time favorite characters are Judas from JCS, Javert and Eponine from Les Mis, and Elphaba and Fiyero from Wicked.That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by gingerdean
  • 2 months later...

I love musicals!! I perform in them twice every year with my school and love broadway. I got the opportunity to see Cats on broadway and also saw the Lion King and they were wonderful shows. In the Summer I’m going to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway and I can’t wait:D

Don't make fun of me, but... Shrek the Musical really blew me away. Maybe I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be really good. A recorded version is available on US Netflix last I checked, so I would recommend checking it out.

• 1 year later...

I am grave-robbing the archives and digging this topic back up because there is a new thing that we need to go do: make #MusicalTheatreNerdsUnite happen. This needs to be trending. I know I am a social media DINOSAUR, but I do not care: go everywhere and hashtag it up. People like talking about musicals on the internet, so it needs to happen more.

• 3 years later...

Love musicals. My favorite is Wicked and then some German ones like "Elisabeth" and "Tanz der Vampire" (Vampire's Dance). I believe there was also a Broadway version of it but I'm sorry, the original German one is the Best! Hands down! 😁