Sneeze Fetish Forum

I'd Like to get a Guitar - Help?

FadedRose

Fair warning, I probably have a lot of dumb questions! :lol:

Okay, so obviously I want to learn how to play the guitar. I'm asking for one for Christmas, but the problem is I don't know which kind I want. Or how expensive each type can get. And the last time I played a guitar was, like, fifth grade. 

So I was hoping somebody here might have some experience with guitars since we seem to have a lot of talented people around here!

I already know piano, and so I want to learn the guitar now too. Are different types of guitar easier and some types harder? Do they all read bass clef and treble clef? At first I was leaning towards an acoustic or a classical guitar.. then I learned that the easiest ones to start with are electric and classical. I'm not sure this is right, but that's what several different websites and youtubers said. 

I don't like the idea of getting an electric guitar. It doesn't sound my style, and I just don't want to. But several people said they regretted starting with the classical. Nobody really gave their reasonings for this, so is this just personal taste? 

I've also never really tried out all the different types before, so obviously I should try some out before I decide on a type I like best. But again, does anyone know which would probably be best to start with, but also not crazy expensive? Or can anyone offer any advice for first time guitar shopping? I can read music so I'm not totally starting from ground zero, musically. But I'm starting from ground zero in terms of a guitar itself.

Thanks in advance! :) 

Well, I don't play guitar very much myself (I'm a piano player too ;)), but I know several guitar players, so perhaps I can help a bit.

To learn playing guitar, an acoustic guitar is certainly better than an electric guitar. You have to "work harder" on an acoustic guitar, so you learn to play it well. Perhaps that's the reason why others like the electric guitar more, but if you say yourself that you don't like the idea, stay away from it.

I would recommend a guitar with nylon strings rather than steel strings, they're more convenient to play for starters.

I don't recommend you to buy a guitar online. It's better to go to a store, ask the staff, try out a guitar and see if it "feels well" to play it. Which guitar is the right one for you is dependent on how big your hands are, how long your fingers are and how your playing style is.

A good guitar for a starter needn't be expensive. In Germany there are stores offering good instruments for not too much money. If you don't live at a very exotic place, I guess you will find stores like that as well.

Good luck!

I'm not very clued on acoustic guitars, I learnt using an electric and I don't regret that decision, but most folk start with a steel or nylon stringed acoustic. With regard to solid body electrics you can't really go too far wrong with a Fender Stratocaster or 'Strat' as they are commonly known. They're a very versatile guitar and fairly easy to play (once set up properly) There are plenty of reasonable copies, however, a genuine 'Fender' will have a better resale value. Fender Stratocasters are made under licence in a number of countries with the ones from Mexico and Japan allegedly being the best outside of North America. Mine is a Mex and I'm very happy with it. 

The best thing is to visit a few Guitar shops and try out the goods!  btw don't feel self conscious about your lack of experience, the staff are usually very good and they will help you make the right decision. 

I started on an acoustic Epiphone with steel strings and it worked great. I'd say a decent guitar will run lowest around $150-200. I wouldn't invest in anything more expensive than that (unless your folks are rich) because it will take you some time to learn how to play it and you'll want to sort of find your sound/figure out what you're looking for in a guitar before upgrading or investing in equipment. You can find some great barely used stuff for sale at Guitar Center and I've found the folks working there are generally pretty knowledgeable. There's this app called Yousician that you can download on your iPhone to help you get started. It isn't perfect by any means, but if you're planning on teaching yourself and not looking to become, like, the next Jimmy Page, it's pretty engaging and makes practice more fun when you're just beginning and can't stand practicing the same scales over and over again.

Archived