Sneeze Fetish Forum

Religious pick and mix

Heathcliff

I don't believe in God, but I have become interested in the Biblical stories of Jesus over the years. I'm interested in religion in general (because it is significant to the modern world) but I'm basically an athiest.

In school my mum prompted me to do Religious Education for GCSE- I don't know why, as my parents don't believe in God. Even their parents didn't. I suppose just to have an extra subject. I didn't like it at the time because my teacher was a woman who had only learned two modes of teaching: strict as hell, or we're all friends. I learned that there are far better teachers.

I don't belive in God but I find myself thinking of Christ. Junia will divorce me if they see, but it's not that I believe. It's more that I want to understand it all.

People I've known who laugh at religion feel as teenage as anything. I have no religion but I'm fucking fed up of defending even talking about it.

In university I was in a play based on the Mahabarata- and we did a terriblr job of it, but I was so fascinated by the whole thing. Arjun in his chariot being spoken to by Krishna who tells him about duty (apologies if I've got that wrong).

I just wonder if anyone else feels the same.

I've been interested in religions and in faith for a long time (in comparison to my age anyway) as well. Like you said I, too, want to understand. I don't consider myself an atheist but rather an agnostic; I don't believe in any gods but I also don't firmly believe there are no gods. I simply have no evidence of either (since the lack of evidence of something's existence isn't evidence of it not existing). 

From what I've seen having faith is a very strong and often defining experience and that, to me, is very fascinating. In a way I wish to experience that but at the same time the few experiences I've had with actual religious practices either bore me or even disgust me (in the "this isn't for me" kind of way, not in the "how could someone be into this???" and so on way).

When someone has faith but doesn't try to dictate other people's lives based on it I think it can actually be kind of beautiful. Even if we often only see the bad things associated with religion in general and certain religions in specific I think there's room for a lot good to come from them (I'm not saying that the same goodness couldn't come from something else just as well).

A Being that has no beginning or the formation of the world due to an explosion made from already existing material? Both require faith for sure. I believe in God. 

I personally don't believe in any one religion, being, deity, etc. but I do find learning about other religions such as Buddhism interesting! My parents are very religious and I grew up being taught that any lifestyle aside from one with God was sinful and wrong to the point that criticism for everything little thing I did became a regular and normal thing so perhaps that's why I prefer an agnostic view on things now that I'm an adult and out of that environment. If there's some higher being out there then great I guess but if not then that's cool and dandy too.

I have no beliefs in any gods, and became that way since I was around 14.

I'm type of atheist, but only because I contemplate about a philosophical origin of anything. I'd say we're all similar to other atheists that were once believers.

But yeah, I do lol

I really don't think that's so strange at all! I'm usually agnostic but I'm fascinated by religions. I took some really cool religious studies classes when I was in college, and my fave was about the Gnostic gospels. I've also spent a lot of time on my own reading about Hinduism, especially Krishna. I've read a big portion of the Bible as well, and I've found that I actually know a lot of the stories with greater accuracy than folks who like to call themselves Christians. So yeah, I find it totally normal to not have any sort of religious faith but still be interested in the stories.

beijoseternura
Hello @Heathcliff, I think through belief you can be given much strength. In times of hardship - prayers and faith in God can help you to endure these times. And in some way it has brought me inner peace, a kind of an ambition, that I won't give up. I believe in God and pray every day.
Do you speak German? A friend / acquaintance of mine has made a video in which he talks about faith, fate, coincidences from his personal experiences. I think it is very helpful. I could send it to you if you can understand the language?

Archived