Sneeze Fetish Forum

If You Started A Charity, What Would It Be For? And Why?

SleepingPhlox

I was thinking about this today, what I would do if I were in a position to start a charity and spread some serious far reaching good.  Like, I donate to stuff right now but if I got rich as hell I'd want to use that money for a goddamned unstoppable force for good!  Because there is so much in this world that needs to be fixed:  people in need of healthcare, groups in need of protection and/or a leg up, diseases that need to be researched, children that need to be fed, mental health just in general...the list goes on.

But as frivolous as it sounds in the face of the huge list of issues in this modern world, what I would honestly do came from some nonsense I read from one of those all-wise, all-knowing fonts of knowledge known as internet newspaper article commenters.  Wisdom in the form of "People who can't afford pets shouldn't have them.  End of."  Which actually sounds okay for like two seconds.  If you're struggling to feed yourself and you have a small herd of dogs maybe it's time to re-think your situation.  But that isn't exactly the problem.  It's actually quite hard for anyone to afford pets.  One of mind had health issues recently and it hit for a few hundred.  I'm working full time, I am doing pretty alright, but that really hit me hard.  So I would consider myself fairly average on the financial spectrum.  I don't have any children so I have a bit more disposable income than my family-raising counterparts.  What about a family with a beloved dog facing the same situation?  They'd find it pretty tough.  So owning an animal is pretty prohibitively expensive for anyone.

But it's also one of the most rewarding things a person can experience.  I paid that money for my cat because losing her would have been devastating.  I have a few pets and they all have their little quirks and brighten my day immeasurably.  In all honesty they kept me going when times were really dark a few years ago, so I would not hesitate to do anything to repay the favour for them. 

Unemployment and living life on a low income is very hard, and impacts mental health terribly.  A companion animal to spend time with can make a huge difference between falling into the deep pit of depression and hanging in there a bit longer.  Having something to look after that depends on you and repays you in affection gives a huge sense of accomplishment and responsibility.  One thing that can make a huge difference in the lives of people who need it the most is a pet.

So my charity would be one that helps with the financial aspect of owning a pet.  Family dog needs an extremely expensive operation?  Done.  Elderly person's long time companion needs a special diet or regular medication in it's later years?  Sorted.  Low income and need a weekly allowance for pet food? It's yours.  Need to get a pet neutered and can't manage the frankly ridiculous fee?  We got this.  Do you have an exotic pet you're extremely attached to that needs to go to a special vet?  You do you man, if you love your companion you'll get the help you need.  The human owners don't have to stress out, and the animals won't suffer a neglect of medical treatment due to financial worries. 

Who knows, maybe I can really do that one day!

So...if you could start a charity, what would it be and why? :)

Well if I was about to start a charity it would be mostly about orphan children. 

I had very nice childhood years and I feel a need inside me to make children,  that ain't as lucky as I am, feel like they belong somewhere that someone loves and cares for them,  I'm even seriously thinking on adupting a child in my 30s and provide it with love and care.  

Even though we recently lost one member of our family due to cancer I don't think I would offer money to this kind of disease,  simply because there are no proves that the billions of dollars spent each year help to make some serious progress in healing the patients. 

That's all for me hope you start your dream charity sometime in the future. 

Hmm..that's a good question! I'd say it'd be related to helping rehome abused and neglected animals as I've always been an avid animal lover since childhood and it pangs me to know that so many animals are abandoned, abused, or otherwise mistreated around the world. They deserve homes full of love and adoration! Or I'd do something related to helping those with mental health issues and funding more research into proper medications, therapy, etc. 

Helping disabled people do whatever they want paralysed and wanna skydive Lets go.

Or a charity that forces them to look at disabled and say "hey let's let them ACTUALLY DO AFTERSCHOOL ACTIVITIES AND BE CONFIDENT

Easy question for me: I would start a charity for financially disenfranchised and uninsured trans people of all stripes who want to transition (whatever that means to them) but can't afford to. We'd provide clothes, makeup, work with doctors and funds for surgery and hormones, as one-on-one and group therapy to help people navigate through the process. We'd also provide a stipend for them to live off of while they recover from surgery and aren't able to work, however long that takes. These things are all so prohibitively expensive but so, so vital for so many people to be able to live their best life. 

The 'why' of the question is probably obvious, but being a trans person myself, it's important to me for my trans siblings to live their lives as they need to. If I hit the lottery (impossible, considering I've never played it in my life) this would be the first item on my list. 

A charity to help people with disabilities to get the help they need, for themself and their family. I know these probably exist already but I would still make one. I have a little sister with Autism and ADHD and it puts a huge stress on my family. And the process of getting the accommodations for her to go to high school (Transport etc.) Is just incredibly ridiculous and I can't imagine how hard it must be for other families looking at how hard is was (read, is) so yeah, that's why.

With all the recent deaths in the news I think mine would be something to do with mental health and suicide prevention for people who might not be able to afford it or have trouble seeking out help. I've lost too my people I care about (even if I've never met them) to suicide. Something better then a haven if you recently attempted. Just....something to get people the help they need. Counselors, medicine, mediation,  yoga, support groups, whatever it takes.

Either that or something for LGBTQ people who have been kicked out by their families an don't have a place to stay. Provide housing, clothes, classes for school, job training, support anything to help them get what they need to eventually live on their own.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds both would be wonderful and perhaps fusing them together.

I like this thread @SleepingPhlox nice to see what people care about and want to help with.

Archived