Sneeze Fetish Forum

Shakespeare speeches

Heathcliff

Lately I'm trying to read Othello and loving getting back into Shakespeare. I'm kind of obsessed with Iago- I swear I'm not a racist! :D

I love this performance- do you have a favourite?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjJgO6N89bcAhVNRBoKHZqXASgQwqsBMAB6BAgCEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlUBc8ydhbSM&usg=AOvVaw0m_eGF6yMHzUNNhQ7wzZwP

Just curious:  is part of the reason you like Othello so much that it mentions handkerchiefs?  (It's definitely part of the attraction for me.)

My favorite Iago happens to be the American baritone Sherrill Milnes in Verdi's operatic version, Otello (and, yes, the opera also mentions handkerchiefs, or "fazzoletti").  Iago in the opera is also a memorable, if less subtle, villain.

As for Shakespeare's Othello, if I had a favorite Iago, it would probably be David Suchet (I'm pretty sure I saw him do an Iago speech on YouTube somewhere).

I like David Tennant's O What A Rogue And Peasant Slave. I'm not crazy about Kenneth Branaugh's Hamlet, but his St. Crispin's Day speech is pretty phenomenal. Oh and you know who is everything? Denzel in the 93 Much Ado. (I also saw the 2012 much ado and enjoyed it.)

OH AND SPEAKING OF FILMED SHAKESPEARE. Not a speech per se but Harold Perrineau's performance in Mercutio's death scene in the Baz Luhrmann R&J is unbelievable.

Also put money in thy purse is a GOOD one. From a similar character, I am partial to "why bastard? wherefore base?" aka Edmund's first speech in King Lear.

7 hours ago, Luisa39 said:

Just curious:  is part of the reason you like Othello so much that it mentions handkerchiefs?  (It's definitely part of the attraction for me.) 

Ha! No it is not, but I understand that. I do find handkerchiefs a big turn-on, but I tend to seperate them from Othello... though it is a nice spin on why it would be such an important love token.

And oh my God- I didn't realise David Suchet had played Iago, I'd have loved to see that. I'm so glad I talked about Shakespeare here and heard your replies- it's been like opening a door for the first time in ages.

3 hours ago, Heathcliff said:

Ha! No it is not, but I understand that. I do find handkerchiefs a big turn-on, but I tend to seperate them from Othello... though it is a nice spin on why it would be such an important love token.

And oh my God- I didn't realise David Suchet had played Iago, I'd have loved to see that. I'm so glad I talked about Shakespeare here and heard your replies- it's been like opening a door for the first time in ages.

Well, thanks!  Yes, I'm almost certain Suchet has actually played Iago onstage in a full production.  As I said, I know there is or once was a YouTube video of him doing an Iago monologue (as well as one of Shylock from The Merchant of Venice).

• 3 weeks later...

I just got to the end of Othello- and I really love it... though I am forced to conclude that you could call it a racist play. :(

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I justed watched a DVD with a black Iago though- which was just about the best performance I've ever seen!

Archived