Sneeze Fetish Forum

Chiff or Chief, Cheives or Chiefs, hands or hanks?

Kleeny

It's funny how people both pronounce and spell handkerchiefs.

I have noticed on some American videos that they can sometimes pronounce it handkerchiff, rather than chief. I like both, but have a preference for Chiefs.

Also when written, when pluralising hankies, there is the difference between handkerchiefs, and handkerchieves. the latter appearing a little old fashioned, but again, I like it. I have a friend who writes handkerchieves and it's quite endearing. 

A lot of people don't realise it's a -kerchief for the hand, as much as a neckerchief is a kerchief for the neck, but I see hank-erchiefs a lot. I don't have a body part called a han! :)

Also, do you prefer hanky's or hankies?

sexyhankysneeze

Handkerchiff or handkerchiffs (spelt handkerchief though)

Hanky but hankies

I'm too lazy to use the full name ever so it's always just hanky to me

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm American and very much prefer the long "e" ("cheef") pronunciation.  I find it easier to say than "chiff"--and MUCH, MUCH easier to say than "hanky,
 which is a word I have major problems with (I think because, to me, it sounds "cutsey" and undignified).  

handkerchief is what I say and I sometimes shorten to hanky but I usually say the whole word. plural, I say handkerchiefs or, again less often do I shorten it, hankies. 

Thanks for all the responses, and it's interesting to read the geographical differences. I do associate Chiff with the US, but then Sexyhankysneeze is from NZ, so there goes my national stereotype! 

I pronounce them hankies and handkerchief. Although also I have used hanky before too

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 9:17 PM, Luisa39 said:

Well, I'm American and very much prefer the long "e" ("cheef") pronunciation.  I find it easier to say than "chiff"--and MUCH, MUCH easier to say than "hanky,
 which is a word I have major problems with (I think because, to me, it sounds "cutsey" and undignified.

I agree entirely and have the same major problem.I love saying or hearing the full word as cheef and cheeves,or chives as in sieves.Nice to cross your path again.

Archived