Rook

Put your favorite recipes down with measurements so we can make it

Tuna Salad

1 can of drained tuna or 2 depends on how you like your tuna

half a chopped onion

and 1 maybe 2 stocks  of celery 

if i i had to guess 

1 tablespoon of mayo

1/2 a table spoon of  Virginia brand Vandalia onion dressing (looks like this 33ec8300-0a8a-4e2a-84ad-90395e5ec0d5_1.455a21a018cddf72b02f6cf32c9103e6.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffffand a shake of garlic powder/onion powder and some black pepper

(hot sauce is optional) (AND I DRIZZLE OF HIDDEN Vally ranch is good it cuts through the spice)

Hopefully you like it

*gasp* 

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!! :fear: 

("The Twilight Zone" reference. Don't mind me. :lol:)

This is my favourite shellfish recipe. I developed it myself, though I took the base from some cookbook (the base was tomatoes and mussels with garlic, parsley and chili, if anyone is interested). Measurements depend, because I don't do specifics, it's based on the measurements things are sold in where I'm from, so you can add and remove as you please. I also use canned mussels but frozen shrimps, but that's all about convenience and price. 

2-3 tomatoes 

500 gram shrimps (with shell)

200 gram shelled mussels in brine 

1-2 gloves of garlic

Fresh chili, amount and type depending on how hot you want it, I only take a tiny bit of red chili

Limefruit

Dill 

Salt

Chop the tomatoes into cubes, remove the seeds. Chop the garlic and chili very finely, put in a frying pan on medium heat. Most people prefer olive oil, I prefer butter for this (don't get me started on the forum resident butter freak :rolleyes: ). Stir when needed.

Shell the shrimps (or get pre-shelled, I think those taste less, but that's just my opinion), pour out the brine from the mussels. 

When the tomato/chili/garlic mixture is nice and mushy, turn down the heat a bit and put in the shellfish. Mind it closely so it doesn't turn rubbery, shellfish doesn't like too much heat for too long. Stir when needed.

Add as much dill as you like, and squeeze over some lime juice (or a lot). Add salt. 

Serve with either pasta or bread. I prefer to eat it on slices of a warm baguette, but that's because I was so tired of pasta when I first made this recipe, and I thought it tasted wonderful on bread, so that's now part of the recipe for me. :lol:   Since I usually do this on Friday or Saturday night, I usually have some nice chilled white wine with it, but if you're not so inclined, icy cold water with a squeeze of lime juice works fine as well.

So there’s this ramen recipe I’ve been making a lot lately, because it’s ridiculously lazy and quite filling and it definitely beats a pot noodle. There’s this place down the street from where I live that does the best and most expensive ramen I’ve ever had, so I’ll just make this every time I feel like going there. It’s not so much even a recipe as a set of loose guidelines on how to combine ingredients in a bowl, but here it goes:

What you need:

- Miso paste

- Noodles

- Soy sauce and hot sauce (optional)

- Hot water

- Whatever toppings you want (see below)

Take some miso paste. The kind I get comes in little individual sachets so I just take one of those, but if you have the kind in a bigger tube or a powdered version, just add to taste. 

Take some noodles. I use fresh thick udon noodles, which is the laziest option as they don’t even need to be boiled, but I suppose you can use any kind you like. 

Put these two things in the bowl you’ll be eating it from. 

Pour over hot water. I usually just boil the kettle and leave it to cool down slightly and then use that water. Leave some room at the top of the bowl so it won’t overflow later.

Give it all a stir so your miso paste dissolved and your noodles separate. 

Add hot sauce and soy sauce to taste. 

Here’s where it gets fun. Add whatever toppings you want. Today I had this for lunch with a spring onion, a boiled egg and half a red bell pepper, as I still had those things in the fridge. You can go crazy here. Use whatever you like. Prawns, cooked meat, tofu, sweet corn, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, baby spinach and most other vegetables work pretty well. Just put whatever you like really. A shredded nori sheet works well as a garnish too. 

Enjoy! 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:45 PM, Wilde said:

Put these two things in the bowl you’ll be eating it from. 

See, this? This is what I like! :yay:  As little unnecessary dirty dishes as possible! 

I'm gonna have to try your recipe as soon as I can. It sounds delicious.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2019 at 11:58 PM, Cobweb_no5 said:

See, this? This is what I like! :yay:  As little unnecessary dirty dishes as possible! 

I'm gonna have to try your recipe as soon as I can. It sounds delicious.

Exactly my point! Why create unnecessary mess right 

K another recipe. Fish cakes. 

What you need (for two people):

- two cans of tuna 

- two spring onions 

- a red hot chilli pepper 

- two eggs

- a splash of fish sauce (optional but recommended)

- breadcrumbs 

You start off by draining the oil out of the cans of tuna, you don’t need the oil, in fact you really don’t want it. Drain that stuff into the bin, not the sink. 
If you’re the type of prepared cook, you’ll have already chopped your pepper and your spring onions. If you’re me, you haven’t, so you’d do that now. 
Once that’s done, you add the tuna, the chilli, the spring onions, the eggs and the fish sauce in a mixing bowl. Just stir it all together with a fork or something until it’s a fairly even mixture. At this point, it looks gross and it won’t hold shape. That’s where you get the breadcrumbs out. Add this until you can take a piece of your tuna mixture and roll it into a little ball that’ll hold shape. When it does so, divide the mixture into halves or fourths and shape it into patties/cakes. Pan fry these in a bit of oil on mid high heat. They don’t need more than a few minutes on each side until they’re golden brown. 

As for sides, I’ve had this with chips/fries or noodles, and I’ll usually stir fry some vegetables with it (bean sprouts, sugar snaps, red pepper). 

Obviously you can adapt the recipe to your liking. Add or leave out whatever you like (if you’re not into spice I’d start with half the chilli). It probably also works with different canned fish. Also kudos to my partner who came up with a version of this recipe which I’ve since adapted to this.

Oh HELL yeah, I love this idea!!

I'll add some sweetness to the thread with a 3-ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe I found recently! Craving something sweet but have almost no ingredients? I got you, bb!

What you need:

-1 cup peanut butter (creamy, crunchy, what have you)

-1 cup sugar (I use a combo of mostly white and a little brown sugar)

-1 egg

-vanilla (optional)

-cinnamon (optional)

Steps:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat (or just rub some butter on there).

Throw the peanut butter and sugar into a bowl and mix until combined. Add the egg (and any other ingredients you like to spice it up a little! I like to do a few shakes of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla extract) and stir until a dough forms.

Roll the dough into 1.5 inch balls with your hands and arrange on baking sheet with enough space so they won't stick together in the oven. Press a greased fork on to the top of each dough ball, rotate the fork 90 degrees and press again to make that signature peanut butter cookie design on the top.

Bake for 9-13 minutes depending on your oven and how chewy/crispy you like them! (The shorter the bake, the chewier the cookie!)

Let them cool or shovel them into your mouth still hot from the oven because they smell so good and you just can't wait! 

On 10/27/2019 at 11:52 PM, Zwee said:

Oh HELL yeah, I love this idea!!

I'll add some sweetness to the thread with a 3-ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe I found recently! Craving something sweet but have almost no ingredients? I got you, bb!

What you need:

-1 cup peanut butter (creamy, crunchy, what have you)

-1 cup sugar (I use a combo of mostly white and a little brown sugar)

-1 egg

-vanilla (optional)

-cinnamon (optional)

Steps:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat (or just rub some butter on there).

Throw the peanut butter and sugar into a bowl and mix until combined. Add the egg (and any other ingredients you like to spice it up a little! I like to do a few shakes of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla extract) and stir until a dough forms.

Roll the dough into 1.5 inch balls with your hands and arrange on baking sheet with enough space so they won't stick together in the oven. Press a greased fork on to the top of each dough ball, rotate the fork 90 degrees and press again to make that signature peanut butter cookie design on the top.

Bake for 9-13 minutes depending on your oven and how chewy/crispy you like them! (The shorter the bake, the chewier the cookie!)

Let them cool or shovel them into your mouth still hot from the oven because they smell so good and you just can't wait! 

OH YEEEAH

• 1 month later...

A recipe I think I have "invented" myself, as a lazy dude living alone. I call it Dragon Chicken: (dragon coming from the spice tarragon)

What you'll need:

Tarragon, lemon juice, cream (pref. 30% fat), spaghetti, butter, Japanese soy sauce, chicken breast, beef or chicken buillion cube (really unsure about the spelling here. Broth essentially). 

Also, I don't mess around with specific amounts cuz math.

How to;

Take the preferred amount of chicken breasts and cut e'm up in to little cubes. (approx. The thickness of your thumb) 

Fry the chicken in a frying pan with a bit of butter. 

Once the chicken is almost (a minute away from) cooked through; add a bunch (a whole lot) of Tarragon and pour the cream so that it just about covers the chicken cubes. This is also the time to crumb down the broth cube into the pan with the chicken. You can now start boiling the preferred amount of spaghetti. 

Lower the temperature of the pan with the chicken and let it simmer till the consistency is saucy ;) (sorry). Stir the chicken gently and add a splash of soy sauce and lemon juice (just a quick squirt of that, we don't want to make the sauce sour). The sauce should now have a thicc consistency and have a slightly yellow-ish tint. 

Once the spaghetti is done, serve it on a plate, pour the chicken sauce over the spaghetti and voila! Friggin Dragon chicken baby! 

Archived