Sneeze Fetish Forum

Dead Weight (Stranger things, Steve)

Skylacticon

Hii, I don’t post here frequently, so I hope this isn’t too shabby. My brother has been watching Stranger Things lately and pulled me into binging the series, so naturally, this came up. Hope y’all like.

~

Just in time, the door shuts behind us and we squeeze into the small broom closet, Nancy raises her index finger to her lips. I hold my breath. Her eyes tell me ‘she knows, she knows I can’t but please be quiet or we’re dead.’

I can’t even sniffle silently. I try to do so slowly, but regret it after the action triggers a tickle in my nose. I breathe out shakily. I close my eyes and try to focus on breathing.

In. Out. My nose is dripping. I can’t sniffle or else it’ll hear me. I carefully raise my wrist to wipe away the ticklish stream of moisture leaking from my nose. I comb my messy hair back over my head with my free hand and continue huffing through my mouth. God. The scent of cleaning fluids in this closet is killing me. It takes everything in me to direct my focus back to my breathing, and not the burning stench of bleach. But at this point they’re kind of one and the same.

After a few seconds, my wrist is becoming an unsuitable solution, as my nose keeps on running. What I’d give to just sniffle normally. Instead, I pull up the collar hem of my shirt over my face. God, I can’t think. It tickles so bad.

“iehh…” I exhale, in agony. I pause mid-breath as Nancy gently touches my arm. Her expression is soft. It’s like she understands and at the same time, still wills me not to make a sound. 

It’s not easy to breathe under the fabric, so I come up for air. Bad idea. The sudden exposure to the fumes hits me stronger, and I quickly pinch my nose. “NXGNN!!-huhh,” I almost see stars. It throws me forward, and Nancy’s hands come up to steady me. My head is spinning. Jesus Christ. That hurt.

“Steve,” I could swear I heard her breathe.

My heart is beating in my throat as we hear shuffling outside the closet door. ‘Please’, my brain begs. ‘Please don’t sneeze and get us killed’. Me, I’m great. I’ve been coughing up a lung for the past few days so death doesn’t sound too bad. Nancy’s fingers wrap around my bicep, bringing me back to the danger of the situation. Her breath is slow. I squeeze my eyes shut and pinch my nose. I try to breathe steadily through my mouth until the footsteps pass. My nose is burning, dripping down my face. God, no… I can’t -

“Eh’mnxxgg!!-hnhh…” I wince as pain zaps through my head. This time it lingers heavily, and tears spring to my eyes. Nancy’s fingers dig into my arm. I feel like sinking to the floor, but her grip keeps me steady. With another snarl, the creature’s footsteps pitter-patter out of the room.

“Steve.” God, my head hurts. “Steve, it’s gone.”

I sniffle harshly, and groan, flustered. I use the hem of my shirt to wipe my face. “*snrk!* Ugh…” Nancy opens the closet door, and cautiously peeks out.

“Hey. Are you okay?”

I can’t answer. I don’t move. My breath needs to decide what it wants to do first - it decides it wants to tackle the burning itch that I’ve been harbouring for the last few minutes. I turn away from her and swing the crook of my arm in front of my face.

“Huh’gGSCHh!!-unh *snnrf!*” That one claws at my throat, making me cough helplessly. But I still need to sneeze, badly, so I just move further inside the closet, leaning against the wall, trying not to be so loud. “*cough, cough* iehh!’kgxXSCHh!!!-unhh…” 

“Bless you.”

Shit. I sniffle and snort, feeling my pockets for the handkerchief. God, why is this so intense. I can’t seem to - “Huh’kdJSCHhh!!-ughh *snnrff*” - stop. God damn it. I pull the cloth out of my pocket.

“Gee, are you gonna be-“

“I’b fide.” I mutter, turning away and wiping my nose. I’m reluctant to blow my nose in front of her, but I’m so stuffed up, it’s like it’s making me want to sneeze more. “ahh’- Huh’kdschh!! *snrff* God. Sorry.” I croak, breathless.

“Bless you.” She blinks. “You sure?” I feel her eyes on me, and I can’t dare to meet them.

“Yeah.”

She waits a beat, then tears away her gaze, looking toward the stairwell. “Let’s go.” She says quietly, throwing a glance back at me. It’s easier to nod than to speak. When she steps out of the closet, I’m finally able to attempt to blow my nose. Still congested, but the least bit better.

“Steve-“

“Yeah, ‘b cobig. *snrk*” My voice comes out in a battered, low wheeze. I sigh heavily, and drag myself upright.

Hi, thanks for the comments! There isn't much of a plot so far, it mainly focuses on the characters. Anyway, here's part two:

------

NANCY'S POV

When we reach the school, I park outside the back door. Inside, we’re greeted by the large, dimly lit space of the empty gymnasium.

“Hm. They’re not back yet.” I put my stuff on the first step of the bleachers.

“Ndope.” Steve sighs. He’s been oddly quiet lately, and I always assumed it was because we hadn’t really talked much in a while. I hear him coughing, and it sounds quite restrained. He sniffs softly and swipes at one eye with his wrist. “If you’re tired, I’ll keep watch.” He rasps. “You cad get sobe *ahemm**sdf!* get sobe sleep.” He fingers briefly at his cherry red nose and sniffles.

I sit down on the bleachers with a tired exhale. “You sound like you need it more than me.”

“*snrff* I’b fide, just sdeezy, really. Dot that… *hhsnrff!* Dot that tired.” He rubs some more at his nose, looking aloof. “‘F adyode shows up, Ihh’ll…” he turns his head, his eyelids fluttering closed. “Hih, I’ll…. Heh!TDSCHHh!! *sdrff* Oh, excuse be. I’ll juhhst… *snrf* kdock theb out a’d give theb the plague. *hsnrf!*” He takes out his handkerchief and folds it to wipe his nose.

“So you’re saying you sneeze on them?”

“Exactly. *sdf*”

“That’s gross.”

“A’d deadly.” He rubs his nose with the white cloth, snuffling wetly. “Other choice is, you’ll have beehh… *snnrk!* sdeezig the edtire tibe… *snrf* idfectig the gyb. Doe ode sleeps a’d we’re both tired whed they show up.”

“You okay? In the car you said you had a headache.”

“Oh, doe, that’s… dothig. It hurt whed I tried to keep theb id, but I’b fide…” He sniffles thickly. “Hahh…” His lips are parted, his eyes distant and slightly narrowed. “*snrf* hah-! heh’ESCHHh!!” It’s a harsh one, jerking him forward. “*snrf* Adyway…” He sniffles and keeps rubbing his nose. Eventually he stands, and starts walking toward the double doors.

“Where are you going?” I call after him.

“Safety patrol.” He holds his hand up in a wave, without turning back.

STEVES POV

The gym doors slam closed behind me as I walk into the school hallway. It’s actually warmer in here than in the gym. When I reach the end of the hall, I lift my handkerchief and give my nose a much needed blow. A dull pain presses between my eyes, in the midst of the heavy congestion. I squeeze my eyes shut and pinch the bridge of my nose. Ow, fuck… I lean against the lockers, breathing slowly. After a few moments, the pain eases a little, and I open my eyes. I blink, feeling a bit dizzy as I push up from the lockers. In a moment, it passes, and I think I’m fine. Gathering myself again, I clear my throat and continue my stroll down the dimly lit hallway.

———

NANCYS POV

I lay down on one of the sports mats, and rest my hands behind my head. Staring up at the high ceiling, my gaze drifts across the metal beams and rectangular light fixtures. In my mind, I see Jonathon’s face. I think of him grabbing my hand before we fled the house. And I picture his face before he left to go with the kids, telling me he’d be back soon. And I knew he’d be back soon. Huh. I can’t help but grin at the notion that I still think of them as kids.

The faint sound of chesty coughing brings me back to reality, somewhere outside the gym. I feel a bit worried for Steve, feeling bad that he got dragged into this when he wasn’t feeling well. I want to make sure that he isn’t exerting himself too much, but at the same time I’m not the boss of him and I don’t want to be going out of my way to do anything unnecessary. Still, he’s here for our greater good, because he can help.

I roll over on my side. The coughing has stopped. I exhale. I let the dim lights lull me into a calmer state of mind, dragging my tired consciousness down slowly as I close my eyes. At some point, I fall asleep.

———

11:47pm.

“Heh’ESSCHHIOO!! *snrf, snrff*” Poor Steve. I blink sleepily, staring blankly at the bleachers in the dim moonlight. My eyelids flutter closed again.

Another faint sneeze, followed by more coughing. I try to keep my eyes closed. They pop open. ‘He will be okay. He’s fine. He said so himself.’

Silence. He is fine. I let my eyes shut again as sleep slowly takes me under.

-

12:31am.

“Huh’ISSHHIUHh!! …..Huh’ISSHHhh!! ….. hih-! Huh’ISSCHHIUHH!! *snrk, snnrff**cough, cough, cough**snnrgk*”

I blink awake.

“HURRRSCHHhh!! *sngk* unhh… *snrk!*”

Silence. I roll over and close my eyes.

“…..Hiyiehh’EEESSSCHHIOO!!”

Shit.

I sigh and heave myself upright.

STEVES POV

Please, please stop. I pant heavily for breath. I feel another sneeze burning in my sinuses, but it’s a pause nonetheless. I pull another handful of paper towel and blow my nose. It soaks up quickly and I grab another one. The paper towel is rough against the raw skin of my nostrils, triggering the urge to sneeze tenfold.

“Uh’-! HUURRRSSCHHHhh!!-ghh… Huh! HAAESSSHHHIOO!!” I grip the edge of the counter to keep my balance. The dull pain has become heavy behind my eyes, drilling into my forehead. “ESSSHHHIUHH!! *snnrkk*” Ow. Fuck. The violent sneeze rips at my already sore throat. I wince in pain, and barely have the time to process it before it triggers another set of tiring expulsions. “HIESSCHH!!-ESCHHioo!!-hih’DYESSCHH!!-unhh-

NANCYS POV

Ice. Ice, then a warm drink.

Quietly, I open the door to the school hallway, where the faint noises become clearer. I creep down the hall and try the door to the principal’s office. Locked. Great.

“HUH!’d’ISSCHHIEWW!!”

I go further down the hall to the music room. I grab the door handle and turn it. Somehow, by some god-given grace, it clicks open. I turn on the light and go straight to the back of the room, where the counter is. I boil some water in the coffee maker and then pour it into a paper cup. ‘Tea. Tea?’ I search over the bags of coffee and find a small box - yes, here we go. I drop one of the tea bags into the hot water and squish it with a wooden mixer. The piping hot water begins to darken into a golden brown. Then, I go to the small fridge by the end of the counter. Come on, please have ice. I open the door and pull open the small tray.

“UUUSSSCHHIOOO!!” They seem to be getting fiercer. “Huuuhh… *snnrk* Huh’AASSSCHHIEWW!!” The sniffling is wet and thick, and the effort has shifted from keeping them contained, to busting out a rogue itch. “Hyieh-! Huh’TDSCHH!! TDDSSCHHhh!! Hah’TDSCHHH!!!”

I find him sitting against the wall in the boy’s bathroom, sneezing and sneezing endlessly. His forehead shines with sweat. “HIESSSCHHHIOOO!!!” A choked groan escapes his lips. I can’t help a soft gasp when he lowers the rough paper towels. His nose is red, painfully red and so evidently irritated, nostrils flaring boldly against his pale skin. His expression crumbles as he disappears behind one hand.

“Steve,” I say softly. Steve peeks at me from underneath his hand. His tearful expression barely changes as I crouch next to him. His swollen eyes look downward.

“Dadce,” He barely sobs, his voice gone. I put a hand on his shoulder. He turns away before the tears roll down his face.

“Hey. It’s okay.”

He coughs a couple of times, and sniffles very wetly. “It hurts,” he chokes out. His frame trembles with weak sobs and laboured breaths. More tears flow down his cheeks.

“Hey. It’s okay. You’re gonna be okay.” I put one arm around around his shoulders. I pull my sleeve over my other hand and dab gently at his cheeks. His hand descends. I take the plastic bag behind me, then reach up and grab a paper towel to wrap it with. “Here. Try putting this on it.” He stares at the bagged ice and takes it slowly, then ducks his head away as another sneeze wrenches through him. He sniffles thickly and takes a breath through dry lips.

His eyes close as I guide his hands with the ice up to his forehead… then his fingers drag to just beneath his right eye. I feel the warm breath tickle my fingers. His shoulders jump with a restrained cough, and when I loosen my grip on the ice, he holds it firmly in place. Gently, I let go.

I sit quietly beside him, listening to the coarseness of his breath. Every so often, his chest will rattle with coughs, but it seems that the worst is over. After a short while, he lowers the plastic bag. His Adam’s apple bobs with a pained swallow, and a punctuating exhale.

Very, very softly - “Thagk you.”

“Here,” I reach for the hot tea next. He shakes his head stubbornly. “Come on. It’ll help.” More coughs. They sound tight and wheezy.

“‘s godda- *cough* -bake- *cough, cough* by dose rud…” he says miserably.

“Well, then it’s better out than in.” I pick it up and hold it out to him, waiting patiently. He sighs quietly and accepts the cup.

“Careful, it’s hot.”

STEVES POV

The warmth of the cup seeps into my fingertips. I slowly put down the ice and hold the cup with two hands. Even though I’m not sure what kind of tea it is, it doesn’t look too bad, so I try a small sip. I sniffle quickly, having proved my point. I take another sip - it actually feels good as it warms my throat, spreading warmth toward the centre of my body. Sniffling, I set down the cup and reach for another paper towel to wipe my nose.

“I can see if they have drugs in the nurse’s office.” Nancy says after a while.

“HRRISCHHhh!!” Oww. I sniffle wetly. I need to blow my nose or else I won’t stop sneezing. I can’t with her here, though… “*snrf* Hehh…” I rub my nose and sniffle hard. “God, I’d kill for sobe ibuprofed.” My eyelids flutter and my breath hitches involuntarily. I raise the folded paper towel. “Huh’TDSCHH!! *snrk* ughh… *snnrk!*” Oh, gross.

Finally, I give in and blow my nose. It’s much better, even if I’m still blocked up. I cough to clear my throat. “*snrf* Sorry, that was gross.” I clear my throat, avoiding her gaze.

“Don't worry about it.”

I sniff, and wipe my eyes with both of my palms. I must look so pathetic right now. "God... Sorry." It's all I can say, as my head feels like it's being squeezed by giant's fist.

"Seriously, don't worry about it. I just..." I see her looking at me in my peripheral vision, and feel about five times smaller. "I'm sorry you got pulled into this." I glance at her shortly, feeling the sincerity in her tone.

I look down bashfully. After a few seconds: “How’d… *ahem* how’d you dow it was a sidus headache? *snrk*”

Nancy tilts her head against the wall. “I remember back in senior year… You got sick before Christmas. Said you had the worst headache. I could barely understand you over the phone.” There’s a smile in her voice.

“Oh yeah.” I chuckle, triggering some more coughs. “*snrf* … You talked to be whed you were studyig… I would fall asleep od the phode.”

“And you snored so loud.” Nancy laughs softly, fidgeting with her fingers. A smile pulls at the corner of my lips. I look sideways at her. I find myself searching her face, in the faint, thoughtful grin lingering there. I could never tell what she was thinking. “Anyway.” She gets to her feet. “You should go lie down. In the gym. I’ll keep a lookout for them.”

I sever my gaze. I sniff, and nod. “Okay.”

“Come on.” She holds out a hand. I take it and she pulls me to my feet. She crouches down to get the tea and ice. “It’s almost all melted. If you want, I can get some more.” Her tone is kind, but more disconnected.

“Doe,” I breathe. “It’s ok dow.”

She nods faintly, and throws it in the trash. I look sideways at the mirror and run my fingers through my hair. We walk together to the gym through the quiet halls, me slightly lagging behind. When we get there, she shows me the pile of mats.

“It might not be the most comfortable, but...” She says. I sit down on the edge of the stack. For the first time today, I allow the tiredness to seep in. “I’ll be just out in the hall if you need me.” I nod, staring down at the wooden floor.

As she walks away, I stare up at the night sky through the windows, the moonlight casting rectangular shapes across the floor. The gym doors slam closed. I exhale and lie back on top of the stiff mats. It’s hard to breath lying down, so I sit back up. I picture her alone, walking down the hall. I remember how her voice felt like warmth, even if she couldn’t physically be there when I was sick, and she would talk until I fell asleep. And I would forget the pain behind my eyes, and in my forehead. I remember.

I squeeze my eyes shut and sniffle, swiping roughly at my face. 'What is wrong with me?'

I decide to get up, and with some effort, manage to push a pile of mats against the wall. I take my backpack and take out some of the harder things so I can use it as a pillow. I heave a sigh and lie back down, slightly more reclined and in a better position for breathing. I stare at pieces of the night sky through the windows, across metal beams and light fixtures across the ceiling. Eventually, slowly, I drift off to sleep.

• 8 months later...

Wow I love this so much!! Been dying for some good stranger things sickfics recently since season 4 came out — especially if steve or nancy are the targets lol 😍 You write the two of them super well!! I can picture all of the expressions/glances/body language during these scenes, really well done!!

P.S. Love Steve’s sneeze spellings, it fits him hahaha

Edited by Jota

I also came here after season 4 looking for some Steve content, and this did not disappoint!

I'm so tempted to write something with him and Eddie, but I don't know yet.....

Edited by favrielle
  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, favrielle said:

I also came here after season 4 looking for some Steve content, and this did not disappoint!

I'm so tempted to write something with him and Eddie, but I don't know yet.....

I sure would not complain if you did bahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Wow, it's been almost a year since I wrote this, going in with full disregard for plot but an au's an au. 😂 Thank you for the nice comments. 

I've actually had this next part in my drafts for a while as a concept, but I thought I'd finish it up. I don't know. Hope y'all might like it.

(Lol, I swear at some point I'll shut up about this man. But that day is not today 🙃)

-

1984 - Nancy Wheeler's bedroom - Nancy's POV

The phone rings.

“Hello?”

“Dadce?”

“Steve, hey, how’s it going?”

“Good. Great. Awesobe, just- *cough, cough* frob hearig your voice.”

“How’re you feeling? Have you been resting?”

“Yeah, I-“ he immediately gets interrupted by a rough, painful-sounding string of coughs. The coughing continues, but gets muffled as he moves the receiver away. Eventually he comes back, breathless and croaky. “Sti- *cough* still kide of… *cough, cough* Jesus. I'b sorry. Excuse be. *sdrf*”

“No worries, you okay?”

“Oh, you kdow… *snrf!* Head hurts. A lot. A’d I cad’t *ahem* cad’t really do adythig, *sdf* so I’b bored.”

“That sucks.”

“Yeah. *snrk* Well, I’b high od cold bedicide so I’b vibig, y’dow… hih-! hah’KTSCHH!!” There’s a muffled sound as if he’s trying to move the phone away. A few clicks and he comes back. “Sorry, Scuse be. *sdrf* Ohh… God, that hurt…”

“Bless you. I’m sorry, that sounds awful.”

“Mb. *cough, snrf* Tell be about what you’re studying, you said sobethig ‘bout the boles a’d the atobs ahhd, whahtever id was hhthad… *hsnrff* hihh… heh’CHIEWW!! HRRISCHHioo!!” He sneezes harshly, and loudly despite his efforts to do so away from the receiver.

“Bless you.”

“*sdrf* Tell be sobethig I dod’t dow.”

“You’re adorable.”

“Sobethig I dod’t dow.”

“Fine. When the molecules react in this expanded equation, the ions cancel out.”

“Mb, fascidatig…”

“Did you call me to put you to sleep?”

“Doe, doe, I’b… *sdf* I’b here…” he coughs softly and snuffles.

“Good. So we cross them out and combine the remaining…”

“The rebaidig… *snnrff*” there’s a soft wet squishing, which I think is him rubbing his nose.

“Which creates the new substances.”

“Mb… *sdrf* Adother ode.”

“Another one?”

“‘Dother ode…Heh’ESSCHIEW!!”

“Bless you.”

“Oww…”

“Did you take any pain medication?”

“Yeah. Duddo, bight be wearing off. *snrk* Doctor says I have sidusitus. Head’s beed hurtig all the tibe, but s’dot so bahhd- *snrf* whed I’b talkig to you.” Damn it. I bite back my smile and move on to the next question. “Hey Dadce, how do paid meds work?”

“Huh?”

“Like… ibuprofed.”

Oh, ‘pain meds’. “Uhh…” I scrawl out the series of molecules. “Well I read somewhere it targets the pain receptors. To stop producing inflammation.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“Read me the dext ode.”

“Hmm?”

“The dext questiod you’re doing.”

I smirk. “How do you know I’m not reading?”

“Cuz I dow you drill yourself like, a thousad tibes, ahhd- sorry, h-hol- huh’ESSHHIUHh!! Ow. Oh god. Ow.” He sounds genuinely in pain, and I wince, stopping my writing in its tracks.

“Bless you. You okay?”

“Yeah - ub - doe. *snrk* Oh god, that really hurts.” It sounds like it hurts to talk, the way his voice has suddenly shrank. “Hold od. I’b… *sdrf* I’b godda get sobe ice.”

“Ok.” There’s some shuffling and I think he’s put down the receiver. I take a breath and attempt to regain my train of thought. After a few minutes, there’s a scratch.

A tired, low, dragged out- “Hi.”

“Hey… how’re you doing?”

“Ub… dizzy, but better.” He sniffles, and there’s a soft swish like he’s wiping his nose. “Sorry… *sdf* By siduses hate be.”

“I’m sorry.”

There’s a wheezy, broken shell of a chuckle. “S’okay. I’b fide. I’b fide.” His voice begins to slur as he speaks. “Mb… the cold bedicide's baki'g be sleepy.”

“I called it. You’re getting sleepy.”

“I’b sleepy but I’b still… *snrk* ahh, *snrf* sdill here.” There’s some shuffling and some squishy sounds - I picture him rubbing his nose until it turned a sore red. “Ugh, *sdf* by dose hurts… I have to sdeeze agaid.”

“Bless you in advance.”

“*hhsnrff!* hih-! Hih’HRRSCHHhh!!-ioo… *sngk* ghh… hih! *sdrf* huh’KGSCHH!!-Ah…” he groans softly, sniffling wetly. He keeps sniffling constantly, sounding so blocked up. “Sorry. *snrf*” He sniffles, somehow drippy and congested at the same time.

“Bless you, sweetie.”

“Thagk you,” he breathes, his breath hitching wheezily. “…huh… huhk’SSCHHIEWW!! *sdrf, snnrf* Sorry give be ode… sehhc…” He huffs miserably. The runnier his nose gets, the sneezier he gets. I can hear as he sets down the receiver. But he’s not far enough as I hear wet, gurgling blows, and thick sniffling. There’s a silence for a bit.

My pencil lingers above the next question. I begin to write. But then, distantly- “‘hrRRESSSHHhiuh!! Huh! Huh’ESSCHH!!-ESCHH!!”

“Steve?”

There's a sharp gasp, then a roaring- “HURRESSCHHIEWW!!”

A winter swim meet and a broken down car. Really awful luck on Steve’s end. After a bit, there are some honking blows. I hear him breathing heavily, unable to imagine the pain that must have caused.

“Steve?” I try after a bit. “Steve, you there?”

There’s some ragged breathing. “I’b… I’b here. Sorry.” He whispers, sounding utterly breathless.

I put down my pencil. “s'okay, don’t apologize. You still have the ice?”

Some more panting. “It’s… kide of belted…”

“If you need some, are you able to get more?”

“Y-…” he swallows. “Yeah… I’b just... dizzy right dow.”

“Do you need me to come over?”

Silence.

“*sngk* Doe. Dod’t. I’b… I’b fide, I thigk.” He coughs weakly, and all I can hear is his soft breathing. My heart hurts.

“Okay. Just, um… try to take deep breaths for me, okay?”

“Yeah,” he whispers. He coughs a bit, and they sound painful. But after that, there’s just the steady ragged sound of his breathing.

I clear my throat softly. “For conversions, we apply Avogadro’s constant…” I keep talking through my exercises, and he’s there on the other side of the line, listening quietly. Every so often he’ll cough or sniffle, and I’d pause to check if he’s okay.

After a while, I hear a low, dragged out snore. And another. And another, in and out, telling me that he’d finally been able to fall asleep. I keep working, staying on the line. I picture him on my bed next to me, with his head on my shoulder.

———

1985 (present) - Hawkins High School Gym

Steve sits on the floor next to the pile of sport mats, with a hand over his right eye. His left eye opens and spots me coming, watching as I sit next to him.

“Here.” I offer him another ziplock bag with two ice cubes, which he accepts gratefully and brings to the centre of his face.

“Thagks,” he breathes, looking exhausted.

“How're you feeling?”

“Ub... the sabe.” A few coughs work their way out of him, and in his battered state, he has little control over them. He winces a little. “Ow.”

“You need antibiotics.”

“Huh?”

“It’s a sinus infection.”

“Doe. It’s fide, Dadce.” It even looks painful to talk, his voice thick and raspy. After a few seconds, he lowers the ice. When I look at him, his eyes are shut. “Oh, shit.” He whispers.

“What?” I ask softly.

Although tired, his fingers move quickly in pulling out his handkerchief, bringing it to his face just before he jerks forward. “TSCHh!!-hnghh…” Full restraint and with as little force as possible. His face screws up in pain. He presses the ice in between his eyes.

“Bless you.”

“Shit… *sngk!*” He starts to rub his nose gently, sniffling wetly. His eyes are shut and he pinches the bridge of his nose.

“You okay?”

His eyes stay shut. A crease is forming in between his eyebrows, and his nostrils flare. He raises the cloth again. “ISCHFh!!-unghh… *snrk* he crushes his nostrils, rubbing hard beneath his septum back and forth. He sniffles, unable to draw any air through those inflamed sinuses. He folds the handkerchief over his nose and gives in to the relentless tickle. “Huh'ESSCHHhioo!! *sngk* huh’GRRSCHH!!-nnhh,” He can’t help but let a small pained sound escape, his frame heaving with the effort to hold them back. I kneel down and gently run my hand up and down his back. “Ow…” he whispers, his eyes squeezed shut.  “Sorry. *sngk*”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to apologize.”

He lets out a pained, shaky sigh, reaching for the ice again. “Fuck this…” he breathes, and sniffles wetly. He wipes tears from his eyes, looking frustrated.

“You know,” I say, sitting down on the floor facing him. “Sodium explodes if you were to… chuck it into a big body of water.”

“What?” Steve’s left eye blinks up at me.

“Well, it combusts. Then it explodes. I’d have to show you, but that would be dangerous.”

“Are you tellig be about chebistry to distract be?”

I grin sheepishly. “Is it working?”

A faint smile hints at the corners of his dead expression. “Okay, what else?”

“Um,” Shoot. It’s been a while since I studied chemistry. “Well, if you mix hydrogen peroxide, sulfuric acid and potassium iodate and- a third one I can’t remember-“

Steve chuckles and it makes him cough. He winces, as it seems to worsen the pain.“Really, you?” He teases in a croaky voice.

“No, wait-“ my eyes flicker up toward the ceiling, as I wrack my brain for the third substance. “Ummm-“

“Cobe od.” The plastic crinkles as he holds it to his face.

“Mal- malconic acid,” I recall it finally. “And manganese- manganese sulfate- something-“

“Oh, wow.” Steve laughs.

“Shut up! Manganese sulfate monohydrate.”

“There we go.” He says, grinning. There’s a flicker in his eye as he stares at me, a type of admiration that feels oddly nostalgic. After a moment, he blinks. “What were these for?”

I laugh. “If you mix them, a cool thing will happen where it’ll switch between dark blue and then yellow and then clear, for a few minutes.”

“Doe way, that’s sick.”

“You never learned this?”

“Doe, are you kiddig?” Steve lowers the ice and turns his head away. “Huh’ISCHH!! -ahh…” His face crumbles into a grimace, but his red nostrils are still flaring, and his eyelids are fluttering shut. “ESCHh!!” Short, desperate. “GSCHHiu!! -unhh…” he sniffles wetly, and wipes at his eyes again.

“Bless you.”

“Thagk you.”

“Still hurt?” I ask, worried.

He nods, leaning forward with the ice between his eyes. “s’like… by siduses are… really sore… *sdrf!* he lowers the ice and massages the bridge of his nose. “It bakes be wadda sdeeze… but sdeezig bakes it hurt bore.” He sniffles, and his lips remain parted - I can tell that another sneeze is lingering as a crease begins to form between his brows.

“Try to hold it back if you can.”

“Hh… ‘b tryig… *snrff* ahh… *sdrf* s’dot godda- huh'ISCHh!! -it’s dot- huh'RRISCHhh!!-oww, by god… shit…” his face screws up in pain.

“Okay, you need a doctor.”

“*snrgk, sdrf* ugh... It’s just a cold, Dadcy. I’b fide. *sdrf!* I’b used to... hehh...” His breath hitches for a moment, and he manages to keep the itch from overwhelming him. His sniffles are very wet now. “Hh’used to siduse pressure…”

I watch as he sits frozen in the same position. I listen to his ragged breaths, and occasional sniffles. My gaze darts towards the doors. Where are they? If I could only find him some pain meds… Maybe I could contact the others somehow and let them know.

“Hhh…. *sddrff!*” When I look back at him, his red nostrils are flaring, and his eyes are glassy. He sniffles, thick and wet, and the action seems to trigger a stronger urge to sneeze. “Oh doe,” he breathes, and I hold my breath. His nostrils twinge and wrinkle, desperately attempting to stop the inevitable. But I know this time they won’t be as soft and contained as they’ve been up until now. Blinking his teary eyes, he unfolds and fold his handkerchief, looking for a somewhat clean area. “*sdrf, sngk* huh! Huh! HURRRISSCHHhhiuh!!” He releases a harsh, wet, ticklish sneeze into the cloth. He barely has the time to wince before he’s hit again, hard. “Hah’ESSCHHIEWW!! *snrg* unhh… hih! Hih! Hih’KDSCHHh!! *snrf, sdrff!*”

“Sweetie, blow your nose.” I say firmly, then blink. Sweetie?

His teary eyes flicker with hesitation, and his face goes red. But with no other option, he turns away and starts to blow his nose. It probably isn't doing his ego any favours that we're in the gym right now. The drenched, productive blows reverberate off the high ceiling, and after a few moments, die down to quieter honks. He emerges, looking more flushed than ever, especially his sore nostrils. Steve coughs softly, and wipes his eyes with his palm.

“Any better?”

“Bit,” he whispers. He leans back on the wall and closes his eyes. His complexion is so pale, and his face shines with sweat. I fear that he’s getting worse. Although I know he wouldn’t want to make a big deal out of it. “How lo’g has it beed?” he rasps.

I check my watch. “Almost four hours.” His eyelids look droopy. “Hey,” I say softly. His eyes open and connect with mine. “You okay? Feeling dizzy?”

A touch of humour meets his weary expression. “I’b fide.”

“Would you stop saying that?” I blurt out, then pause, as I try to reel back the amount of concern that’s showing through. The humour recedes from Steve’s face as he glances down.

“It... was worse earlier,” he answers softly. “Dow, dot so buch… *snrk* I’b od the groud, a’d I’b pretty statiodary. So… as fide as fide goes.” A small wince flashes across his face, and he leans back again, trying to stay still. I keep watching his face, wondering how much he’s really letting me see. I have to look away. It’s not like anything will change if I keep staring like this. “The sodiub thi’g,” he says after a few seconds. My gaze returns to him. “Is it true?”

“What? The explosion?”

“Yeah,” he croaks.

“I- well, I mean, yeah.”

“I’b just sayig, it could be useful.” He chuckles softly, and it triggers a soft string of coughs.

I grin. “Pf, for what?”

“For future crazy shit… you kdow, that we always seem to get ourselves idto. Could be a sick weapon.”

True, heat is always an advantage. “That’s assuming it would happen… near the water.”

"Well, doe, dot decessarily- *snf* "

"Also assuming we have a chunk of pure sodium handy." I continue on, my eyes drifting across the gym wall. "You know, as you do."

Steve's eyes are on some faraway plane, as if he were already considering some future in which we would have to do this all again. Implying we don’t win this time. Planning for it. I suppose he’s not wrong to do so. Steve sniffles and runs his fingers through his hair. I find myself wondering what he’s thinking. Then I begin to wonder how he's really been.

I jump as I hear a creak come from outside the gym, followed by muffled voices. “They must be back,” I say softly. Steve connects my gaze, partly in acknowledgement, partly with something else. “I’ll go check.”

“Careful," he breathes.

“Yeah. Just stay put, okay?” He nods. I stand and brush off my clothes. I sneak another glance back at Steve, sat leaning up against the wall, before I turn and walk quietly towards the gym doors.

Edited by Skylacticon

I for one hope you never shut up about Steve, soooo 😉

poor guy. I feel so bad for him in this 🥺 love it though, as usual you did amazing!