• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lighthousegirl

• EveP

• Arvani

• sneezygirl97

A slight digression here... but hopefully you'll enjoy! 

The next few days were... weird. Somehow they didn't seem to see much of each other - Charlie headed to work early and retreated to her room or went out to see friends soon after she returned home. Daniel spent a lot of time working from home, feeling somewhat hemmed in by the four walls of his flat and losing himself in increasingly confused and muddled thoughts. He wasn't quite sure how it had happened but something had changed in their dynamic. In the brief moments they'd been in the same room he'd caught a glimpse of her face when she thought no-one was looking. She looked - wistful. Sad, somehow. And when they did speak she seemed guarded. Less relaxed and with none of her usual easygoing humour.

After several days of pacing the flat and tossing and turning in bed at night, it was finally Friday again. Daniel headed into the sports centre for his weekly game with Andy, desperate to work off some of his frustration on the squash court. Just as he was going in though, his phone pinged with a message from Andy. Hey Dan. Think I've got a cold from Lizzy - not too bad, but don't think I've got the energy for squash. You wanna just get a coffee or something today? Daniel let out a sigh. He'd been looking forward to a game. But Andy couldn't help it if he was getting sick. He quickly typed a reply. Coffee sounds good, if you're sure you're up for it. Might go for a quick run first and see you in 20.

He let off some steam on the treadmill, releasing some of the pent up energy that seemed to have accumulated since the weekend, then headed next door to the coffee shop. Andy was there already, ordering a tea. "Hey man," he greeted him, smiling in spite of the stuffy voice and red, chapped nose which betrayed that it had already been blown many times that day. Andy was only a little shorter than average, but people tended to laugh when they saw them together as Daniel was so tall. He had dark hair, usually covered by a cap, green eyes and a cheeky smile. He was softly spoken and tended to be the calm one in the group. Not much seemed to get to him and he was a good listener when his friends needed advice.

"Hey, you OK?" asked Daniel concernedly. "You didn't need to come out you know."
"Ah, I was goigg a bid stir crazy at hobe do be honest," Andy laughed. "Id just a stuffy head anyway - be alright ib a day or two." Cold-ridden voice aside he seemed OK, so Daniel got a coffee and they headed over to a couch by the window. Almost immediately Andy grabbed a bunch of napkins and pressed one to his face, muttering "'scuse be..." He paused for a second before his face crumpled and he sneezed a set of quick soft sneezes into the napkin. "Tschuh! Tschuh! Tschuh! Tschuh!"
"Bless you!" said Daniel sympathetically. "Ah, thanks," Andy replied. He sighed and sniffled, wiping his nose and then throwing the napkin away. "Been doigg thad all day. Think Lizzy would be fed up ob me if she didn't feel bad she'd given id to be in the first place." He laughed, took a sip of tea then said more seriously, "anyway, what's up? You look like you've got a lot on your mind."
"Do I?" said Daniel, startled that he was clearly so obvious. "Mate, I know you pretty well ad this point," Andy said, grinning. "Anyway, Ibe not Ben. No judgement here. Lay it on be if you want."
Daniel sighed. "I don't really know," he said simply, running his hand through his hair. "Things just feel... tense at home and I'm not sure if I've done something or..." He broke off at the knowing smirk on Andy's face. "What?" he said irritably. "Do you like her?" asked Andy, with the air of someone trying to explain something painfully obvious. "Because, mate... Ibe pretty sure she likes you." Daniel was about to scoff at that but stopped when he saw Andy was quite serious. "I... hadn't really thought about it," he said slowly. "I mean... we're roommates. Wouldn't that make things really awkward?"
"Sounds like they are a bid already," Andy said, his eyebrows raised as he took a sip of tea. "Anyway - you haven't answered my question... do you like her?"
Daniel considered for a moment, then said cautiously, "she's pretty."
"Mmhm."
"And funny."
"Yep."
"We get on well..."
"Uh-huh."
"But... that wasn't what this was supposed to be!" Daniel burst out furiously. "She was just supposed to be a replacement for Ben that's all. I'm not looking for a relationship - I mean we live together, it's all way too complicated already."
"Dan... cab down," Andy said in his quiet voice. "Look, I know you'be never been that bothered about relationships but I'be also never seen you so bothered by someone or so comfortable when you're with her. Like it or nod, you guys habe something."
"How do you know?" asked Daniel agitatedly. "Because... eh.. eh-excuse me... tschuh! Tschuh! Aschuh! *sniff*... because I habe eyes. I saw the way you looked at each other. We're not comblete idiots you know. How buch do you think we had to threaten Ben not to say adything?"
Daniel opened then closed his mouth again, feeling utterly confused, and slightly angry. So everyone knew how he felt but him did they? Andy caught the look and said quickly, "Look. I know you like to feel in control. Bud these things just happen. You can't help who you habe feelings for. Why not take a chance?"
"Easy for you to say," muttered Daniel.
"What are you afraid of?" said Andy, a hint of impatience in his voice.
Daniel dropped his head in his hands. "I dunno," he said. "I guess this is all new territory to me. I... bless you... I need to think it through a little more I guess."
"Well don't try and rationalise it to death," said Andy hoarsely. "It's not not that easy ib afraid. But it is simple. If you like her, take a chance. Either it'll work out or it won't. Either way, you'll regret id bore if you ignore id..." Andy broke off as his eyelids fluttered again and his face screwed up in the telltale signs of an impending sneeze. Daniel absentmindedly passed him some more napkins which he grabbed gratefully. "Uh... th-thanks... huh... tschuh! Tschuh! Tschuh! ASCHUH! Ugh... this cold is gedding worse... ib gonna have to go man. You gonna be OK?"
"Yeah of course - thanks mate. Sorry for getting all freaked out on you. I appreciate... bless you! I appreciate the advice."
"Anytibe pal," Andy said, grabbing some more napkins for the road and waving as he made his way across the cafe. Daniel watched as he stopped to brace himself on a chair, his head snapping forward with another couple of irritating-looking sneezes, before sighing and heading out the door.

Daniel sighed and downed the last of his coffee. He felt more knotted up than ever, his stomach doing strange twisty things he hadn't really experienced before. Was this what falling for someone was like? If it was, he wasn't sure how much he wanted it.

I love how regularly you’re updating this, thanks so much for all the latest updates, I’m in love with where this is going 😍

So glad you're enjoying guys, I have some free time at the moment so on a bit of a roll! Please feel free to share any suggestions, I'm just going with the flow with this one! 

Ah the joys of sexual tension... :boom:

Charlie woke up early on Saturday morning feeling somewhat deflated. There had been a tangible atmosphere in the flat over the last few days and as much as she tried to convince herself it was all in her head, Daniel's mood when he got in last night did nothing to make her doubt her instincts. He hadn't said much, but he was clearly decidedly grumpy. And by the sound of the clattering coming from the kitchen this morning, that was still the case.
She got up and pulled on a hoodie, hesitating briefly at the door before heading out into the flat. Pull yourself together, she told herself. After all, she lived there too. She couldn't help it if her roommate was being a total grouch. She entered the kitchen and said a friendly "good morning," hoping to at least attempt to break down the barrier that seemed to have sprung up between them. "Morning," he muttered back. He looked tired. "Couldn't sleep either?" she asked.
"What do you mean?" he said, frowning a little.
"Just that I know you're not a morning person and it's kinda early on a Saturday..." she tailed off, feeling stupid. There was a pause and then he said shortly, "No I'm fine. Just stuff to do. Coffee?"
"Sure," Charlie replied, beginning to feel more and more frustrated.

They drank their coffee in mostly silence, then Charlie said, in one last attempt to be amenable, "I was going to invite a friend from work round later. Just for a glass of wine and a movie or something. You can join us if you want?"
"Um... it's a little bit short notice," he said, somewhat absently. His manner was really beginning to rile Charlie now. He may have been tall and handsome and a generally great roommate (and have the most adorable sneezes ever, reminded a small voice at the back of her head) but that didn't mean he got to be rude.
"My apologies, I didn't realise you had such majorly exciting plans for tonight," she replied coolly. Daniel didn't miss the iciness in her voice and it nettled him in return. "I just mean it would have been good to know a little earlier that you were planning on having people round, that's all," he bit back sharply. "One person actually, and I wasn't aware I needed permission," retorted Charlie. "I notice you didn't ask before having your friends round last week."
Daniel opened his mouth to respond, but his attention then seemed to be distracted. He turned away from her, but not before she caught the glare in his eyes. She tried to contain her frustration. What was wrong with him at the moment?
An immediate answer to that question suddenly became evident from Daniel's trembling shoulders and hitching breaths. "F-for... fuck's sake... huh... huh..." 
Charlie felt like screaming. Really, now?? Just as she had decided to be totally mad at him, he had to do this to her? Daniel grabbed some kitchen roll, swiped at his nose fiercely, pinching it shut in order to quell the growing itch. "Fine. Invite round whoever you want," he said stuffily, then headed off into the bathroom. Charlie heard the sound of the shower being turned on, but as she stood there for a few minutes wondering what on earth to do, she noticed it didn't entirely muffle the sounds of some desperate sounding sneezes. "Heh...hehaschoo! HehASCHoo! HASCHOO!" 

Daniel stood under the spray feeling the tension course through his body. He pressed his palms against the wall, suddenly feeling utterly stupid. What was he, 5 years old? He couldn't figure out his feelings for a girl so he was going to be a total prick to her instead? It wasn't her fault she was so goddamn nice and funny and, ok fine he could admit it to himself - attractive. Because like it or not, that pale, heart-shaped face, those blue eyes and red lips had featured in his daydreams on numerous occasions over the last couple of weeks. For the first time in his life Daniel felt a need to care for and protect someone other than himself and the thought was terrifying to him. He had to laugh at that though. Given how she had just spoken to him, Charlie didn't need anyone to fight her battles for her. She might be almost a foot shorter than him but her words packed a punch all of their own.

Daniel rubbed his forehead tiredly - on top of everything else he'd woken up with a headache and his nose was feeling stuffy. The steam and water from the shower helped a little but soon he felt the tickly sensation he'd tried to suppress in the kitchen creep up on him again. He stood with his eyes shut and mouth open, willing the tickle to come to fruition. He just wanted to sneeze out the irritation now - he no longer knew or cared what it sounded like out in the flat. His breath began to hitch softly once again. "Huh.. huh, huh, haaah..."
It teased at him, lingering just out of reach, torturing his nose. He desperately wanted to give it a rub but from experience he knew that might only make it worse. "HEH!" The itch flared up again all of a sudden and this time it seemed to mean business. "Heh, heh... heh...heh...hehaschoo! HehASCHoo!"  He sighed briefly before being quickly overtaken by a third, "HASCHOO!"  His nose began to run in earnest now and he finished showering quickly, grabbed a large quantity of toilet roll, wrapped a towel round himself and retreated to his room. The flat was quiet - he guessed Charlie had gone out. He blew his nose several times until the stuffiness seemed to clear marginally then lay on his bed feeling utterly ridiculous. He reached for a pillow, burying his face in it and groaning in frustration at the whole stupid situation.

Okay I’m completely hooked on this story 😍 I can’t wait for Charlie to notice his cold! And for his cold to get much worse 😈

Aww to be young and in love. Hopefully Daniel stops fighting the inevitable. Looking your perspective on how scary love can be and the ackward stages as each person figure out there feelings. Appreciate the many updates I was treated to. Kudos

Not much sneezing here I'm afraid. More on the way very soon though! Thank you so much again for all the comments! So happy people are enjoying this story.

Hey Andy how you feeling? Thanks again for listening to my stupid shit yesterday.

Hey Dan, feel like crap 😞.  Lizzy's looking after me well though. No worries, anytime. How's it going with everything?

... I may have acted like a dick.

🤦‍♂️ ... care to elaborate?

I dunno... we ended up having a stupid argument. I don't even know why.

You just need to be honest with her man.

Easier said than done. Anyway she's gone out for the night, probably to get away from me. Just as well, think I'm getting your cold. ☹️

Aw sorry mate. 😞  Guess it was kind of inevitable huh?

Ben wasn't wrong about my immune system sadly. Must have sneezed 100 times today already. 🤧

That sucks. I'm ready to cut my nose off at this point. 😩  Feel better dude. And bless you lol.

Haha - you too. See you soon.

Charlie spent much of the morning wandering round the park and trying to read or write in her journal, but mostly she ended up staring into space, filled with confusion and frustration over the events of the last few days. Suddenly Daniel had gone from someone she thought she understood and shared common ground with to a moody stranger. And what irritated her most was that she cared. She couldn't hide from the fact anymore that he wasn't just a roommate to her. He wasn't even just a sneezy crush. She cared about him and worse, she cared what he thought of her.

Charlie groaned in exasperation, cupping her face in her hands as she sat on the bench looking out over the park. Normally she enjoyed people watching, but today all she seemed to be able to see was Daniel.

This wasn't the way it was supposed have gone. She'd left a lot behind back home, she'd come to this country to forget, for a fresh start, a chance to discover a new path, a new adventure. Love was most certainly not part of the plan. Even as the word "love" popped unbidden into her head, she shivered slightly as the ghost of an old fear pulsed through her. She'd had enough of relationships already for one lifetime.

Maybe he'd be different, said a small voice in the back of her mind. But she crushed the thought before it could fully take hold. I won't do this again, she resolved. I will not. But again, an involuntary tremble invaded her body at the memory of a mocking pair of eyes and the echo of a cruel, contemptuous voice. Even the more pleasant recollection of Daniel's warmer, kinder brown eyes and easygoing demeanour (this morning excepted) were not quite enough to dispel the darker remembrances.

@lighthousegirl this is so good! The way you build the characters with substance and background makes them feel real and genuine. The way you hint about things to make us want to keep reading. I love it!

So, so glad people are enjoying these two as much as I am! :D

Charlie whiled away the rest of the day doing some shopping, getting some work done and meeting her friend Alana for what had turned into many, many glasses of wine. Alana was a fellow student, and the two of them had struck up a good friendship while navigating the ups and downs of life as a trainee teacher. All Charlie had told her was that her roommate was sick (which seemed more and more likely given this morning's display) and Alana had been more than happy for them to hang out at her place instead.

As Charlie headed home much later in the evening she felt better. Hopefully she and Daniel could work things out. If not, well... she could deal with it. She was making a life here, she had other friends. Things would work out for the best. 

Quietly she let herself in to the flat. It was in darkness. She headed through to the kitchen for a glass of water, feeling somewhat relieved Daniel appeared to have gone to bed already. She was just bringing the glass to her lips however, when she heard a sudden sound behind her. 

"Hehschoo!"

"Holy shit!" she shrieked, and the glass slipped from her fingers and smashed on the floor. Turning round she saw a very bleary eyed Daniel sitting up from where he'd clearly fallen asleep on the couch. 

"God I'm sorry," he mumbled, rubbing his eyes. "I didn't mean to fall asleep here." 

"Oh... it's OK," gasped Charlie, as she tried to get her heart rate back to normal. "I'm so sorry about the glass. Be careful of your feet." For he'd come through to help her clear up the shards on the floor. As he bent down she noticed in the brighter light of the kitchen that his eyes looked red-rimmed, with dark circles underneath, his hair was in disarray and his nose looked like it had been rubbed raw. 

"Please don't worry about it, I can clean it up. You should go to bed," she said a little awkwardly, the wine making her head feel fuzzy. 

"S'ok, was my fault too," he said, and she detected a huskiness to his voice. For moment there was silence, then as their fingers brushed as they reached for the same piece of glass, she lifted her eyes to meet his. He seemed to be on the point of trying to say something. "Um... listen. I'm sorry about this morning. I was just feeling pretty rough and all..." He broke off to cough harshly into his fist, somewhat proving his point. 

"It's OK," Charlie said, smiling slightly. "I guess I'd have to be pretty hard hearted to bear a grudge when you're clearly suffering enough as it is." 

"Ugh, I'd deserve it," Daniel replied with a grimace. Then he took a deep breath and said in a rush, "Look. I'm an idiot. I'm not great at... communication I guess. But I want you to know th-that..." But he broke off, his eyelids fluttering and lip curling once again. He seemed determined to continue however, and attempted to plough on through the inevitable. "I w-want y-you to... tuh... tuh..." He turned away slightly, resigning himself to the impending sneezes. "Suh-sorry..." he breathed, blinking rapidly. "C-cant seem t-to stop... th-this... heh... heh..." He pulled out some tissues from his pocket and held them to his face. Charlie watched, hardly breathing, as he stood there frozen, waiting for his nose to succumb. "Huh... a-always takes forever to... c-come when I heh... h-have a cold... huh... huh... HUH... HUHASCHOO! HEHASCHOO! HASCHOO! Haschoo! Hah... Haschoo! Ugh, fibally." He blew his nose ruefully then said simply, "...you're a good roommate. I appreciate that." 

Charlie tried to keep her voice level as she replied. "That's... what you wanted to say?" she asked hesitantly. 

"Um... yeah... I guess," said Daniel, not quite meeting her eyes as he wrapped the shards of glass before disposing of them. 

"Well - likewise," said Charlie, trying to smile, but feeling a little deflated once again. "Are you gonna be OK?" she deflected, referring to his hands which were once again hovering near his face, tissues clutched under his nose. "Ih-I'll be f-fine..." he said indistinctly. "J-just the sn-sneezes as usual... heh... heh... heschoo! Heschoo! Heschoo!" 

"Well, um... let me know if you need anything," she said uncertainly, then walked resolutely out of the kitchen before she found herself holding her hand to his forehead, wrapping blankets around him and making him cups of tea which is what she really wanted to be doing right then. Only his somewhat blunt statement stopped her. She was a good roommate. That was it. For a moment she'd thought he was going to say something else but clearly it was all in her head. Exposing herself anymore wasn't an option. If Daniel found out she cared anymore than out of a general concern that would be bad enough but if he found out about her real quirks, her real desires... the thought made her stomach turn to stone. The room spun as she flopped down on her bed and she began to regret that last glass of wine. Her eyes gradually closed, vaguely aware of the sound of Daniel in the bathroom then heading through to his bedroom. A few sniffles and coughs floated through the wall and then a louder nose blow. Then she dozed off and heard nothing more. 

I expected her to say or do something without thinking after all that wine. 😀 Not a complaint, just a reflection. I can't wait to see where this goes.

She slept badly, tossing and turning, her mind weaving in and out of odd dreams. She woke suddenly to the sound of harsh coughing coming from the bathroom. She grew more alarmed as it continued, sounding rougher and more violent as it went on. She detected a slight wheeze in the breathing and hurried out to the bathroom to see Daniel slumped over the sink.

He looked terrible. His face was pale except for his red eyes and nose and as he straightened up when he saw her his body swayed, causing her to rush forward to steady him. His skin felt clammy and the back of his t-shirt was damp with sweat. "Hey, it's ok," she said soothingly and guided him to sit on the closed lid of the toilet. "Ugh, sorry," he muttered, cradling his head in his hands. "Was coughing so hard I felt like I was going to be sick."
"You sound pretty rough," said Charlie concernedly.
"Yeah I feel it," he said hoarsely. "My head is killing me." He gave a shiver and tried to stand up on legs as wobbly as a baby deer's.
"Do you have a fever?" asked Charlie.
"I dunno... I feel shivery."
"Do you mind if I...?" she asked tentatively, holding up her hand towards his face.
"Uh, sure," he said, looking a little surprised but not uncomfortable. Trying to ignore the party happening inside her stomach, Charlie reached up to place a palm on his forehead. He closed his eyes at the contact, relishing the smooth, cool feeling of her hand. "What's the verdict boss?" he asked, trying to sound nonchalant.
"You're burning up Daniel," she said, dismayed at the heat radiating from him. She rummaged in the cupboard and pulled out a thermometer, holding it close to his head and waiting for it to beep. "Over 101," she said matter-of-factly. "Definitely a fever." Daniel didn't seem to be listening however. He was blinking with an all too familiar look of vague bemusement as his breath began to hitch once again. He wrenched to the side with some desperate sounding sneezes. "Huh...huh...huhASChoo! Haschoo! HasCHOO! HASCHOO!" The last one was loud and seemed uncontrolled in comparison to his usual moderate sneezes. They were clearly being wrested from his body with such force and at such a rate that it was getting harder and harder to control. He grabbed some toilet roll and swiped at his poor red nose, grimacing as it rubbed the raw skin.
"OK," said Charlie firmly, putting any more lustful thoughts to one side as she surveyed the situation. "First things first. Have you got any paracetamol? Ibuprofen?" He shook his head slowly, eyes slightly closed as if the movement made him dizzy. "Right. Well I think the best thing would be for you to have a shower, put on some clean clothes and I'll go get you some meds and stuff. Do you think you'd be up to eating? I could get some soup and..."
"Charlie," he interrupted quietly. "It's OK - I can sort myself out. You don't have to bother doing all that for me. I've been sick before, I know the drill."
She fixed him with a challenging stare. "And what if I want to bother, as you put it?" she retorted. Once again he was amused at how fierce she could be for someone so small. He wasn't sure how to respond. "Alright then," she said briskly. "I'll leave you to shower. Are you OK if I look out some clothes for you?"
"Aye, aye captain," he muttered, as he grabbed a towel, half amused, half irked by the sudden change in dynamic between them. Charlie chose not to respond, shut the bathroom door behind her and headed through to Daniel's room. She heard the shower being turned on as she entered his room, feeling a little like an intruder even though he'd said she was fine to go in.
His room was characteristically neat. She had no trouble finding some clean sweats in one of his drawers. As she was looking she heard a couple more harsh sneezes emanating from the bathroom. "Haschoo! Haschoo!"  Her eye fell on the waste paper basket, which was already pretty full of tissues. She mentally added more to the list of things to buy.

She was boiling the kettle in the kitchen by the time Daniel wandered out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped round his waist, looking a little dazed. Her heart swelled at the lost, innocent look on his face, while equally trying not to get too distracted by the sight of him naked to the waist, with water dripping down his body. She tried to keep her voice level as she said, "I um, put some clothes on your bed for you. Hopefully they'll be warm and comfy."
"Thangks," he said stuffily. It sounded like the steam from the shower had loosened some moisture and she could hear him sniffling as he dried himself and got dressed. He re-emerged, dressed in the sweatpants and hoodie she'd laid out, looking slightly less terrible than earlier but still pale and disoriented. He was clutching a fresh wad of toilet paper and before he could say anything he snapped to the side, muffling a triple into it. "Hehschmpf! Heschmpf! Huh...huheschmpf!" He blew his nose, grimacing slightly, then tried again to speak. "Thangks for the clobes. They feel good."
"Oh that's cool - I just always think a shower and clean clothes help you feel better you know?" Charlie replied, busying herself with the kettle and trying to seem casual. She handed him a mug of hot tea. "Here - this will help your throat. Will you be OK while I go to the shops?"
"I think I'll just aboud banage nod to exbire in your absence," he said teasingly. Charlie was about to hit back at him when she caught the joking look in his eyes and she grinned back, breaking the tension a little. "Haha. Just keep the extreme sports to a minimum till I get back OK?"
"I'll do by best," he said, sipping his tea and looking infuriatingly smug for someone who had had to be helped to the shower half an hour earlier. Charlie rolled her eyes, grabbed her purse and headed out, trying once again to put the thought of his smile to the back of her mind. He was sick, she was helping him out. That was it.

I can’t even describe how much I love this 🙈 I hope Daniel’s the type of guy who gets loooong colds 😈😈

When she returned Daniel had drank most of the tea and was passed out on the couch, snoring a little. She quietly unpacked all the things she had bought and settled herself in one of the armchairs in front of the TV. He'd put on an old sitcom she wasn't too familiar with before falling asleep and she found herself chuckling at it. For a while everything felt peaceful.

After about an hour Charlie had zoned out a little but she was roused by the sound of Daniel stirring and muttering fretfully. He seemed to be half asleep, half awake. His moans were generally incoherent but he was clearly agitated and confused. She made her way over to him and placed a hand gently on his shoulder. "Sshhh Daniel, it's just me," she murmured softly. Daniel opened his eyes and gave a start, grabbing her arm and breathing heavily. "Where... wh-what...?" he said wildly, looking around him with perplexity. "It's OK," she said soothingly. "It's me, Charlie." He sighed and dropped his head back on the sofa. "Charlie," he whispered. "I didn't know... where you... thought you'd...gone..." He was still holding her arm. "I was at the shops remember? I got back and you'd fallen asleep," Charlie answered, gently detaching his hand and grimacing at the heat emanating from his body and the raspy sound of his voice. She forced herself to sound calm.
"OK, we need to get your fever down. I've got some pills for you and then you need to drink lots of fluids OK? Can you sit up for me?" He did so obediently, a shiver running through him as he did so. Charlie disappeared for a minute then reemerged, placing pills, water, tissues and cough drops in front of him. He seemed lucid enough to recognise what to do, as he grabbed a couple of pills, swallowed them and took a long drink of water. Then he helped himself to a cough drop, shuddering slightly at the medicinal taste, but seeming grateful all the same. "Ah, thangks," he said, leaning his head back and closing his eyes again. "You're bretty good ad this looking after people thing."
"Well, teaching little kids gives you some ideas," she replied, smiling.
"Led be guess - they're less bother than be right?"
"Got it in one."
Daniel chuckled, which turned into a coughing fit. Not as bad as the one earlier but still pretty rough-sounding. He leaned forward and Charlie reached out bravely to rub his back as the coughing continued. As they dissipated a little, he sighed and said, "mmm, thad feels good." A little surprised at this appreciation, Charlie continued to rub small circles round his back until suddenly he gasped and fumbled for the tissue box on the coffee table. His breath hitched desperately as he tried to pull some out. "Huh...huh..." He managed to grab some and held them to his face, waiting to catch the onslaught of sneezes threatening to burst forth. Charlie shifted slightly next to him, transfixed by the helpless look on his face as he waited for the inevitable.
"Huh...oh...oh...God..." he breathed, "this is torture." Charlie couldn't have agreed more. All of a sudden he sighed and lowered the tissues, grinning at her a little self-consciously. "Lost it." Before Charlie could formulate a reply however, his head snapped forward and he caught the interrupted sneezes in the tissues. "Huh...huh... huhaschoo! Huschmpf! Haschmpf!" Briefly he lifted his head, eyes still slightly closed and mouth open, unsure whether or not he was done. Then he brought the tissues up again to catch another volley of sneezes. "Haschoo! Haschmpf! Haschoo! Hah...haschoo!" He blew his nose wearily. There was a pause as he met her eyes, catching her staring at him. "You OK?" he said, looking at her quizzically. "Oh! Yeah, sorry," said Charlie, averting her gaze and feeling flustered. He shivered a little and she got up to get a blanket. She reentered and passed it to him. "Do you um, wanna keep watching TV?" she asked nervously. "Sure," he said, unfolding the blanket and burrowing down underneath it. Charlie made to go sit in the armchair again when he said, "Plenty of room here you know," indicating to her to join him on the couch. Charlie's insides turned to jelly and she hesitated, words seeming to escape her as she tried to formulate an answer. He mistook her silence for a rebuffal and said hurriedly, "Or nod, it's ok. I don't want to get you sick too. I just thought you bight be a little chilly and, you know..." he tailed off, a fresh flush in his pale cheeks. Charlie said nothing, but took her place on the sofa next to him. "What are we watching then?" she said brightly and Daniel smiled as he draped the blanket over both of them. They sat close together, not quite touching, both staring at the screen. Charlie was surprised he couldn't hear the thumping in her heart or feel the trembling of her hands.

Somewhere in his feverish mind Daniel too was wondering what the hell he'd just done. And what was he meant to do now? Put his arm round her? Take her hand? Making a move while fighting off a horrendous cold was not exactly the plan he'd had in mind. He was surprised she wanted to be anywhere near him as it was. Before he could make any further decisions however, he felt a familiar tickle in the back of his nose. He sniffled gently, hoping to keep it at bay. He'd had enough of sneezing all over the place in front of her. The itch lingered but a quick nose rub seemed to dispel it somewhat, although he still had a slightly buzzy feeling. He cleared his throat, shaking his head a little, and attempted to focus on the TV.

Some time passed, and Charlie smiled to herself as Daniel's small coughs, nose wrinkles and rubs became more frequent. He was clearly stubbornly refusing to admit that his nose was bothering him and Charlie waited with anticipation to see which would win out.

Don't sneeze. You do not have to sneeze, Daniel told himself firmly. But the prickles between his eyes, radiating down the bridge of his nose were getting harder and harder to ignore. Before he could dispel the tickle with another fierce rub, his body betrayed him as his breath released in audible hitch. And another. And another.
"Heh...heh... haah..."
He could feel Charlie's eyes on him and redoubled his efforts to keep from sneezing. He turned away from her, pinching his nose stubbornly. But things had gone too far already, the tickle had to escape somehow and before Daniel could stop it, a stifled sneeze escaped, sounding less like a sneeze and more like a squeak. "Ngtsch!"
Great. Instead of a normal sneeze he now sounded like some sort of cat with a head cold. There were more to come however. He surrendered to the inevitable, released his nose and reached blindly for the tissues, his eyelids fluttering closed and his face screwed up with the effort of keeping the sneezes at bay. As he reached out, he felt some tissues being pressed gently into his hands. He opened his eyes a fraction to see her looking at him concernedly. "Th-thanks... hah... hah... hah!!... ahhh... haschoo! Haschoo! Haschoo! Hah... haschoo! HehASCHoo! HEHASCHOO! Oh g-god... haschoo! Hasch! Hah-haschooo! I c-can't s-stop... hasch! HasCHOO! I r-really c-can't... huh... huh... Huhaschoo! HuhASCHoo! HASCHOOO!"  He buried his face in the tissues, letting out a long, tremulous sigh. Once he had wiped his face, he took a long drink of water and turned to face her, feeling utterly mortified, but ready to make fun of himself to cover for his humiliating display. Charlie stared back at him, feeling paralyzed by what she had just witnessed. With every hitch, every sneeze, her insides gave a lurch and she felt as undone as Daniel must surely feel. She looked at him, mesmerised, and half-jumped when he joked, "whad, I don't deserve a 'bless you' after all thad?"
"Oh, sorry! B-bless you!" she stammered, blushing as she came out of her reverie. "Are... are you OK?"
"Just by pride," murmured Daniel huskily, leaning back and closing his eyes again, exhausted by the exertion.
"You're sick, you can't help it," she said sympathetically.
"Yeah... sobetimes wish my imbune system would led be be a little less pathetic though," he grumbled.
There was a pause before Charlie replied quietly. "You're definitely not pathetic Daniel."
He opened his eyes to look at her, but she'd turned away from him slightly, although he thought he caught a glimpse of something in her eyes. Was it fear? Vulnerability? Apprehension? He wasn't sure. The next second she'd got up and was saying briskly, "you need more water. Or I got some orange juice if you prefer? Do you think you could eat? I got some soup..." She rambled on as she went over into the kitchen and after watching her disconcertedly, Daniel got up and followed her. He took in the array of things on the countertop with both amusement and perplexity. "Did you buy halb the pharmacy?"
"Haha," she replied coolly, her back to him as she opened cupboards. "I got some chicken soup, are you hungry?"
"I dunno," he replied, his moment of mirth giving way to a rising feeling of exhaustion once again.
"You need to eat something," she said anxiously. "How about a glass of OJ and a few spoonfuls of soup. Then you can have another sleep. Sound good?"
"Do I habe a choice?" Daniel responded, a little tetchily but mostly entertained by her practical manner.
"If you can walk back to the couch without looking like you're about to pass out sure," she said imperiously.
"Touché," he said, holding his hands up in defeat and heading back to the living room. "But you're pretty bossy, you know that?"
Daniel's mocking tone suggested he didn't entirely dislike this about her and Charlie grinned as she started to heat up the soup.