Sneeze Fetish Forum

Most overrated TV series?

bingochamp7

Supernatural. I tried watching the first season but I could never get into it. It’s just the same plot over and over imo. Also the series went on far too long.

Anyone else want to share their TV opinions, have at it.

I always thought Breaking Bad was overrated. It was a good show, but I never understood the people flailing their arms shouting "this is as good as television gets!!!"

Hmmmm I really think Friends is super overrated.  Never got into it and I don’t think it’s very funny. 

2 hours ago, Melody said:

Hmmmm I really think Friends is super overrated.  Never got into it and I don’t think it’s very funny. 

Ugh, this. It's an unfunny show that overstayed it's welcome. Seinfeld is another unfunny show that's way too beloved for what it actually is.

Seinfeld and Friends. But since they've already been mentioned, I'll go with THE OFFICE. Amazing how people find that keeping the shaky camera on an actor's face for ten seconds after they say something mildly amusing makes it 100x funnier for fans. Is dropping stock pot of chili really that hilarious?

Here to jump on the Friends and The Office train, oh my goodness.

Here's the thing, normally I don't want to trash what people watch and even if I don't personally like something I can understand why people would get into it.  I like a whole lot of stuff people would consider garbage and liking entertainment is a matter of personal enjoyment.  Enjoy whatever you want, whatever your jam happens to be.  But I cannot understand how those two shows became the cultural phenomenons they did.  Friends was NEVER good, not when it first came out, and it should have quietly died lost to time since then.  It's about awful people being awful with bad jokes.

And I'd like to add Sex and the City.  How did that get so popular?  Again, awful people being awful, getting into sucky relationships and being awful about it.  I think it was supposed to be "relatable" but who was out there relating to that???

There was better TV being made when those shows were out so why were they the ones that blew up?

Okay, LOVE Friends. Never seen a full episode of Seinfeld, so I can't talk to that. LOL

I think Stranger Things is highly overrated!

On 8/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, bingochamp7 said:

Supernatural. I tried watching the first season but I could never get into it. It’s just the same plot over and over imo. Also the series went on far too long.

Supernatural season 4 was good. Everything else was just like you said, the same story over and over again. 

i couldn't get into breaking bad, sopranos, narcos, the wire, 24, ozarks or squidgame

Another one:

It's not a whole series but I'm convinced everyone keeps quoting and talking about that "Steamed Hams" scene from The Simpsons purely because everyone else is also quoting it and talking about it, and not because anyone actually thinks it's good and funny. Right?  Am I the only one here confused by it's popularity and thinking it was never funny?  Like, early Simpsons had much better stuff to be meme-ing on, why THAT scene? I don't get it.

• 4 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, bingochamp7 said:

I feel like I would have normally agreed with your opinion on Supernatural if Padalecki and Ackles didn’t have such good chemistry. I’m only a couple seasons in, and while I agree it’s kind of repetitive, they are just so entertaining that it carries the show enough for me.

I kind of think Lost is overrated, still a good show, but I felt like the overall quality dropped after season 1 (which I know is an unpopular opinion.)

On 8/30/2022 at 6:05 AM, SleepingPhlox said:

And I'd like to add Sex and the City.  How did that get so popular?  Again, awful people being awful, getting into sucky relationships and being awful about it.  I think it was supposed to be "relatable" but who was out there relating to that???

I agree with this, though I watch the show. I feel like all of the girls except Samantha kept putting themselves in sucky relationships and making bad dating choices that it’s infuriating even though I’m only on season 3. I don’t even want to touch the movies lol

44 minutes ago, bingochamp7 said:

I agree with this, though I watch the show. I feel like all of the girls except Samantha kept putting themselves in sucky relationships and making bad dating choices that it’s infuriating even though I’m only on season 3. I don’t even want to touch the movies lol

I can’t stand it either lol. My ex gf made me watch it and it was horrible.

I couldn't get into Supernatural either. On paper it looks like something I should enjoy, but it just doesn't work for me. Grey's Anatomy is another one that should work really well for me, but didn't. 

I'm with @SleepingPhlox though, I don't want to trash what other people enjoy, I'm just quietly avoiding it in favour of my own obscure and quirky favourite series. :lol: 

I think I kinda get why repetitive shows end up being so popular.

I never got into Supernatural for whatever reason (the reason might have been that I saw the crazy side of the fanbase online, and that can put me off ever watching a thing) but I kind of respect it for being repetitive, oddly enough.  The shows that last figure out what formula works for them and stick with it.  They don't try to throw crazy things into the mix or try to shock the audience at every turn...they settle on a formula, and just do that.  All of the shows with major longevity stick to what they're good at and I wish more shows would figure out that secret!  The world is crazy and nothing is certain, but a show where you know they're going to turn up every episode and do whatever it is they do, that's nice and predictable and stable.  Those crime shows with the fifty million spin offs where they're doing the same thing in different cities?  Everyone knows they're going to solve the case, a little differently every time but they'll get there, the same people will be doing the same things...you know what you're going to get.  Or sitcoms where you don't know what kind of wacky adventure they're going to get into, but you know it's going to be figured out in thirty minutes and everything's going to go back to normal.

Sometimes after a long crazy day, a little predictable entertainment hits just right.  And that could be why stuff like that gets so popular in the first place!

On 8/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, SleepingPhlox said:

Again, awful people being awful, getting into sucky relationships and being awful about it.  I think it was supposed to be "relatable" but who was out there relating to that???

I think you’ve perfectly summed up why I hate 95 % of all sitcoms and hardly ever watch any TV except for drag queens shaking their asss on rupauls drag race. 🤡

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it's been mentioned loads of times by this point, but I've never really liked Friends either (except for that one scene where Ross got attacked by a cat, I admit I laughed). I read online once that the strangest thing about Friends is how those people can afford those really nice apartments in central New York - in reality they'd probably be living in apartments the size of a shoe box with cockroaches climbing up the wall.

Another show that (honestly!) I never really liked was Little Britain. I don't know if that one made it across the pond. It features Matt Lucas and David Walliams as various grotesque sterotypical characters, doing things like wearing fat suits and vomiting copiously. There are a couple of funny characters, like Margery Dawes, the incredibly racist and offensive weight-watchers woman, and Dennis Waterman, the actor who insists he has to "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune" to any show he's in. But it's fair to say it has aged pretty terribly - I think the stars have basically admitted they wouldn't do the same thing now.

• 4 months later...

For me it's Supernatural! I couldn't watch more than the first 15 Minutes. It was really not for me. But to be honest, there are probably many shows I really enjoy that others find boring or dull. It's really a personal matter.