Sneeze Fetish Forum

Achieving self worth

Dawsio

This might be a heavy topic for some, but it's been on my mind for a while now.

Most of my life, I've been working for others, whether it's school, work, or just helping my family around the house. I'd always know I was doing something right whenever I was told so. While it worked during school and such, lately I've been trying to work for myself.

Let's say I like to spend my free time in the arts. Writing and drawing. I'm told I'm really good. I wrote a script that my teacher said was the best he'd ever read in class! It's something I know I want to do! But lately, on my days off, I have no drive to do anything, whether it's drawing or goofing off. Let's say I'm working on a project that I'm proud of, and that it's rather ambitious considering my previous experience.

Kind of rambley, but my point is: what gives you self worth?

I want to motivate myself to work in my free time, but I've always been my own worst critic/enemy. Most of the advice or critiques I get from friends and family boil down to "I liked it!" While I'm happy to hear that, it's not really enough to know what's good and what needs work. 

What helps any of you all get self worth? What drives you during the day? 

I’ve been dealing with this a lot lately. Here’s a few things I’ve been doing: 

1. Reminding myself it’s important to look at things step by step. I struggled with depression and motivation for a while and realized I only got myself to get things done when I broke them up in tasks. Instead of “cleaning my room”, I start with folding the clothes and usually getting myself up and in the motion will allow me to complete the whole task! For you, maybe start with brainstorming ideas and just writing what’s on your mind. Maybe it’ll help you to go on tangents and write more. 
2. I’ve been trying to connect with my inner child and the things I enjoyed before peoples criticism and outside thoughts stuck in my head. Running off validation is hard because if there’s a time you don’t receive it, you have second thoughts about your work. Trust that you are good at things you are passionate about and even if you don’t feel like the best, realize it’s only “yet” and you always have room to grow. 
3. FUCK imposter syndrome! 
4. Let go of perfectionism and realize it’s okay if things aren’t perfect when you start! There’s beauty in a process… 

Hope this helps! Though these things worked for me, I’m not insisting that they’re 100% fixes. Just some ideas :) 

1 hour ago, SDbaby22 said:

I’ve been dealing with this a lot lately. Here’s a few things I’ve been doing: 

1. Reminding myself it’s important to look at things step by step. I struggled with depression and motivation for a while and realized I only got myself to get things done when I broke them up in tasks. Instead of “cleaning my room”, I start with folding the clothes and usually getting myself up and in the motion will allow me to complete the whole task! For you, maybe start with brainstorming ideas and just writing what’s on your mind. Maybe it’ll help you to go on tangents and write more. 
2. I’ve been trying to connect with my inner child and the things I enjoyed before peoples criticism and outside thoughts stuck in my head. Running off validation is hard because if there’s a time you don’t receive it, you have second thoughts about your work. Trust that you are good at things you are passionate about and even if you don’t feel like the best, realize it’s only “yet” and you always have room to grow. 
3. FUCK imposter syndrome! 
4. Let go of perfectionism and realize it’s okay if things aren’t perfect when you start! There’s beauty in a process… 

Hope this helps! Though these things worked for me, I’m not insisting that they’re 100% fixes. Just some ideas :) 

I really like all of these! I have a tendency to overthink things, so putting it on paper is practically my worst enemy. It's something I need to work on. Also having a problem with patience. In a way where I'm frustrated that I'm not some professional big shot, even though I don't do any of this for a living.