Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Heatwave (Stranger Things, Steve)

Skylacticon

I’m not sure how these things always get so angsty. 🙃 Anyway, I’m back with more Steddie, featuring a bit of hayfeverish Steve. Hope you all are having a good holiday. If you’re cold, wherever you are, I hope this might take your mind off it.

The Heatwave

There was something about the start of summer that made Steve feel a little older each year. Was it watching as the kids, Dustin and the members of the party who were still in high school, break free of another gruelling year, goofing around until they inevitably began the next? Was it not watching them goof around and get actual jobs around town, acting so serious all of a sudden? Perhaps it was the sting that came with it, some weird parental or older-siblingish mix of feelings when they would stop asking for help, as if that was how adulthood worked. As if people were meant to be apart and independent, some kind of rebellious phase that one would constantly deny it was. Or maybe that was just how things were for some people.

There were times when that need for a constant was scary - in which case one might attempt to eliminate the need entirely. Attempts that would never work, as per Steve’s experience. It occurred to him that not everyone’s brains worked that way, one night in particular when he’d taken Max out on a drive when she’d called him out of the blue. After stuffing themselves with fries, she admitted how she’d been waiting anxiously for the day she’d be old enough to drive. She would go somewhere far away from Hawkins, anywhere that was someplace different. Start a new life, explore new cities, meet new people. There was a life out there that was so much more than the small town of Hawkins, and Max had been obsessing over it. After all the tragedy and fear that had taken place here, he didn’t blame her for wanting to leave. 

He asked her if she’d ever go back to California. After a bit, she said she wasn’t opposed to it. But Steve got the feeling that it wasn’t where she’d want to stay.

Travelling wasn’t a bad idea. He’d been out of town to a few glamorous places, when his parents decided to bring him on vacation. The change of scenery was nice every once in a while, what with the luxury and enrichment of it all - and then they’d always come back to this quiet town - which had been quiet, up until a few years ago. When Max went on about moving on and embracing these new things, part of him wondered why he hadn’t felt entirely the same.

Except… he did, sort of. He knew that he wanted to leave his parents house, and get things rolling with his career. He was well aware of the things he’d have to do in order to achieve that. Picking up extra shifts at the video store, doing yard work around town. There was a difference between teenage dreams of the future and adolescent grunt work, that he was finding himself waist-deep in. All he had to do was keep pushing forward. And maybe, some day, things would work out for him like he’d only fathomed in dreams.

“That’ll be four fifty-two, please.” Steve rested his hands patiently on the edge of the counter, as the skinny, dark-haired kid in front of him dug in his pockets for change.

“‘Kay, hold on…” 

Steve’s gaze wandered slightly across the shop. His nose gave a sharp twitch, and his eyes returned to the kid in front of him, who was still counting his money. Steve raised a hand to push his glasses back up the bridge of his nose, following it with a quick swipe under his nose.

“Have you seen it yet?” The kid asked, stacking coins in his palm.

“Huh?” Steve sniffled, wishing he would just hurry up. 

“Do you know if it’s good?”

“Oh, uh… I dod’t really kdow. *ahem, snf*” He replied, glancing underneath the counter where the box of tissues sat on a shelf. As he turned his head, he caught Eddie’s eye. He had been standing there by the counter, reading one of his thick novels.

“Here you go,” Steve turned back to the kid, who was holding out a fistful of change. He held out his hand to accept the change. Pressing his tongue hard against the roof of his mouth, he pressed a few buttons and the register door hit him lightly in the stomach. He wasn’t sure if he could trust his increasingly teary eyes to count the change in his hand, although, at a quick glance, it seemed enough. He quickly deposited the coins and shut the drawer, then tore the receipt from the printer.

“Thagk you, edjoy the bovie,” he said somewhat breathily. When the kid finally took the tape and left, Steve immediately pivoted and reached under the counter. Eddie looked up from his book.

“Huh’- *snrff!* huh’TJDSCHHiuhh!! Hihh-!”

“Bless you.”

“huh’ESSCHHhioo!! *sdrf!* -huhh, *snrf, snrk*”

“Bless you.”

“*snnnrff* heh- hhh, *sdrff!* HURRISSCHHIEWW!! …ugh, Jesus. *sdf!*” Steve sniffled wetly and pulled another tissue from the box under the counter. He blew his nose productively, then swiped under his red, runny nostrils.

Eddie quietly shut his novel and set it down on the counter. “Did you… You had your allergy meds, right?” he asked gently. His long, shaggy hair was pulled back in a ponytail, not able to be bargained with in this heat. 

“Yeah… *snrf!* I dod’t kdow what’s… *sdrf!* what’s goig od… hih! HURRESSCHHIOO!! *snrf!* ‘Scuse be.”

“Bless you.”

Steve looked positively sneezy, his nostrils perpetually flared, looking red and sore from rubbing. His eyes were teary and vaguely preoccupied, blinking rapidly between ticklish sneezes. He cleared his throat and leaned on the counter. His breath was hitching again, his nostrils leaking clear fluid as the tickle overwhelmed him. He sniffled wetly and pressed the back of his hand to his nose, his eyelids fluttering shut. As the tickle slowly receded, he lowered his hand, wriggling his nose around.

“*sdrf!* I thigk it’s just… *snf* A lot of, Hihh… polled and shit id the air… *sdrf!* Oh god…”

“Mm?”

“Sorry, I… I’b… godda… hhsdeehh… hhsdeeze- huh! HAH’ESSCHHIUHHhh!!! Hihh-! HURRESSCHHIUHHh!!! *sddrff* huh! hehhtts’SSCHHIEWW!!! Ughh… huh! EESSCHHh!! -IESSCHHiuu!! *sdrf* Jesus. *snnrff!*”

“Bless you.”

Steve looked flushed and drained from the fit, folding a couple of fresh tissues to blow his nose. He emerged, blinking teary eyes. God, he still had to sneeze. He rubbed stubbornly at his red nose with the tissue, pressing hard. 

“Hey. Careful, there.” Eddie walked around the counter, and over to where Steve was sitting. He approached and touched his arm. Steve felt his cool fingers on his arm, and lowered the tissue. His nostrils were flaring - his expression taken over by allergic misery. His lips parted slightly, taking in short, hitching breaths. Suddenly the urge overwhelmed him, and he let out a pair of harsh, horribly-itchy sounding sneezes without time to raise the wad of tissue. 

“HRRTSSCHHhiuh!! Hih’hyiESSCHHIEWW!! *sngkt, snnrgk* huhh… Oh by god, I’b sorry. Jesus...” Steve muttered.

“That’s okay,” Eddie said softly as Steve pulled away, lowering his glasses to wipe his eyes. 

“That wahhs *snrff!**ahemm* I just totally sdeezed od- hgG’ESSCHHh!! *sdrf!* sdeezed od you. *sdf*”

“Bless you, it’s alright.” Eddie’s heart broke watching Steve almost trip and fall trying to grab tissues to wipe his shirt. He took the crumpled tissues in Steve’s hand, only so he would sit down again.

“Oh by god,” Steve muttered again, snuffling wetly.

Eddie wiped the front of his shirt a little, then reached out a hand to wipe a stray tear that had slipped from one of Steve’s pink, itchy eyes. “The pollen is probably sky-high…” He said gently. Steve let out a soft sigh, his gaze drifting away. “You should get someone else to cover your shift.”

Steve rested his palms on his thighs, bowing his head. “*snrf!* Doe… Doe, I’b fide.”

Eddie came closer again, putting his hands on Steve’s biceps. Steve’s arms relaxed, his head raising slightly. Eddie gently brushed his brown hair away from his bleary eyes. He rested his hands on Steve’s broad shoulders, then let his arms wrap around him as he pulled him closer.

“Honey pie. Sweetums. Pookie.” He murmured quietly, in a sickly sweet way only he could pull off. Or, barely.

“Ew.” Steve cringed, a tiny grin defying the response.

“Sugarplum.”

“Yuck.”

“Baby girl.”

Steve chuckled wheezily, bowing his head and touching it to Eddie’s chest. Eddie ran his fingers through Steve’s hair. It almost made Steve shiver, the fingertips grazing gently against his scalp, raking through his thick hair.

Eddie felt Steve’s frame shaking slightly, and heard a stuffy-sounding chuckle. “Baby girl?” Steve repeated in a weak, incredulous voice, lifting his head to look at Eddie. His brown eyes looked so sore, although his expression was adorable, and Eddie wasn’t sure which part of the interaction gave him the urge to laugh.

“Alright, if you insist,” Eddie responded in a smooth, deep voice. Steve snorted a laugh, and coughed over the congestion. “Baby girl it is.”

“Aw, great.” Steve leaned into Eddie’s chest, too exhausted to do much else. He sniffled softly and lifted a curled knuckle to rub his nose. 

“You know, I’d do it for you.” Eddie said softly. “The rest of your shift.”

“Doe. You would be terrible at this.”

“What, worse than you?” Steve scoffed weakly. “I have… some experience with retail.”

“Oh yeah.” Steve got up from the stool and stepped over to the trash to throw out the used tissues. “Lots of non-sketchy sales.”

“Exactly.”

“Doe. *snrf*”

“You know, if you keep calling me sketchy, I might just have to become an artist.”

“You are ad artist.” Steve grunted, sitting back down in front of Eddie.

“An artist of sorts,” Eddie said casually. He watched sympathetically as Steve removed his glasses again to wipe his watery eyes. Steve’s nose wrinkled as he sniffled, followed by a soft cough. “Babe, are you able to read anything right now?”

“Can I read? That’s the question that you-“

“I’m talking about your vision, genius.”

“It’s…” Steve shook his head slightly. “It’s fide. *sdf* Like, I cad, by eyes are just super watery.”

“Is your head hurting?” Eddie asked softly, lifting his fingers to the sides of Steve’s forehead.

“A little bit.” His eyes closed as Eddie began to massage his temples. “Okay, that’s kide of dice…” Steve let out a relieved exhale. The bliss was interrupted by his runny nose, causing him to sniffle wetly. 

“You good? You have to-“

“Doe. *sdrff!*” Steve’s flushed nostrils scrunched with a harsh sniffle. Eddie kept massaging his temples, in slow, hard circles.

“The lights are pretty bright in here, that can’t be great.”

“It’s really fide,” Steve mumbled, and sniffled again, wetly. His nose began to leak onto his upper lip, triggering an intense itch. His red nostrils flared. “Hahh… *sddrf* Ehh… Eddie…” Steve’s nostrils were flaring wide, his brow furrowing with the effort to hold in the sneeze. “Ahh… I’b… haahh… hrrR’YIESSCHHHIEWW-!!!” Steve couldn’t help but let out the powerful, itchy sneeze. He managed to bow his head, although he still ended up spraying the front of Eddie’s shirt. He opened his mouth to apologize, but was quickly taken over by another desperate, allergic sneeze. “ihhH’RRESSCHHIUHhh!! *snrff!* hih! Hih- Ed, Ihh’b so- I’b s- hohh-“ Steve hastily lifted the crook of his arm, and turned away. “hAH’TDSCHH!!-AH’KTSCHH!!-HUH’TSCHHIEWW!!! *snnrff!* hah! HUURRESSCHHIOO!!! -ughh…”

“Whoa. Hey. Easy.” Eddie put a gentle hand on Steve’s shoulder. The fit seemed to have taken a lot out of him. Steve had moved to try and stand but nearly fell off the chair. Eddie plucked two tissues from the box and held them close to Steve’s face. Steve’s hand came up to accept them gratefully. He blew his nose wetly and lowered the tissues, breathing heavily.

“I’b… God, I’b… *ahem*” Steve had to pause and take a few breaths, shutting his sore eyes. After a few seconds, he sniffled thickly, and exhaled. “Sorry about that.” he whispered.

“It’s all good,” Eddie hummed, and kissed Steve on the forehead. “How’s your head?”

Steve was quiet for a bit. It seemed to have caught up with him, as his mind searched for any response other than ‘absolutely miserable’. “Fide, I’b just a lil… dazed.”

“Sure?”

*snrf* Yeah. Still get the, ub… the headaches. *ahem, snrf!*” Steve mumbled, scratching the back of his head. Eddie slipped a hand over Steve’s other hand. “They said it’s dorbal though, after a codcussiod. *snrf!*

Eddie’s frame gently deflated with a quiet sigh. He fit his fingers over the gap between Steve’s thumb and forefinger, under his palm, and squeezed tightly. Then, he lifted Steve’s hand and gave it a soft kiss.

“You want me to get you some Advil?”

Steve sniffled, his sore eyes shining as he tilted his head slightly. “I actually have sobe. It’s fide, though… huh’ISCHH!!-uhh… *snrf!*”

“Steve, honey.”

“I’b…” Steve stared down at the floor. His brain was still somewhat in work mode. He tried to remember the last time he took the Advil. It had been a few hours. “Yeah, ub… It’s just id by jacket.” Steve started to mutter aloud, his gaze still vaguely directed at the floor. He could picture where they were and acknowledge that he was willing to take them, but he didn’t feel like moving. “They’re idside a little-“

“Got it.”

“How did you kdow where-?”

“Here,” Steve heard the rattling of pills inside the mini canister. He watched as Eddie’s feet walked back into his line of sight, holding two pills and his water bottle. Steve sniffled, and rubbed his itchy nose. 

“Thagk you,” he breathed, taking the water and pills from Eddie. He swallowed them both with one swig of water, and set the bottle down on the counter. “I duddo. I’b fide to keep goig, really.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. *sdrf* I bead, Keith has a weddig to go to, ad Robid has ad appoidbedt. Plus, I… *snnrff*” Steve’s nose twitched, and he rubbed it hard, sniffling wetly after. “I deed the bodey, if I *snrf!* -if I plad to bove out.” His nose was still twitching as he spoke, his flushed, allergic nostrils flaring against the urge to sneeze. They wrinkled with a very wet sniffle, followed by a soft cough.

Eddie pulled a couple of tissues from the box, and offered them to Steve. “Here, blow your nose.”

“*sdrff!* Thagks.” Steve sheepishly took the tissues from Eddie and swivelled around as he raised them to his nose. “HRRESSCHHhh!!” His frame shook with a harsh, itchy sneeze. “rRR’ESSCHHiu!!

“Honey, bless you.” Eddie reached out to rub his back.

Steve blew his nose, his frame hunched over on the chair. He wiped his flushed nose in a hard rub and sniffled, glancing down. “Are you godda keep callig be sweet thigs udtil I quit?”

“Oh, most definitely.”

“*snrf!* It’s fide, I probise.” He croaked, running his fingers through his hair. “I took adother dose of by allergy beds a little while ago, so they probably *sdrff* hahh- haved’t kicked id yet.” He cleared his throat and sat up a bit straighter. “Plus, I cad’t bake you cover be. Even if I wanted to. You-“ Steve laughed softly. “You told be Wayde deeded a hand with repairs today at three, and it’s-“ Steve looked down at his watch. “-it’s three fifteed. Go. I’ll be fide.”

Eddie froze. He’d totally forgotten about that. “Well- Well, I mean, I can probably-”

“Ed, I’b okay, I swear.” Eddie looked back to see Steve gazing at him, with soft, glassy eyes. “I’b cobig over later, okay? We’ll watch Labyridth. It’s fide, dod’t worry.”

Eddie watched him for a bit, then let out a soft exhale. He put a hand gently on the side of Steve’s face, and leaned down to kiss him on the forehead. “Take it easy, okay?” he said gently. “If you need anything, I’ll be a phone call away.”

“I swear I will call, if, like, I’b about to die, which I’b dot,” Steve assured him, although the sentence seemed to wilt gradually as the raspy words came out of his mouth.

“I love you,” Eddie said firmly.

“I love you.” Steve replied softly, putting a hand over Eddie’s, which was still resting on the side of his face. He held it as it came down, then released his grip as Eddie moved away.

-

Eddie rubbed his sore shoulder. His eyes strayed over the mirror as he buttoned his jeans. There was a strange, warrior-esque type of look to the jagged bite scars on his arms - splitting his dragon tattoo in half, creating little slash divides between the bats. It sucked that he’d lost some of the ink, although he couldn’t do anything about that. And it would be a while before he could afford more, touch up or brand new. 

He threw on a white t-shirt and turned away from the mirror. Running his fingers through his freshly-washed hair, he began to search for another set of clothes, a light t-shirt and some shorts. He found a grey cotton tee - the fabric was thin, and on the front there was a faded image of the members of Bon Jovi, the band name labelled on top with a thin blue banner. He threw it on the bed. He found a pair of red basketball shorts he didn’t wear too often, and threw those on the bed too.

There was a low rumble in the distance, coming from outside the trailer, followed by the hissing sigh of machinery. Eddie headed out of his room to the front door, spying Steve’s car outside through the window. He opened the door a crack. Jeez, it was hot out. He felt a tingle in his stomach as Steve’s head rose out of the car. “Hey!” Eddie shouted. Steve raised his hand in a small wave. Eddie chuckled, his mood instantly boosted from seeing him again. He’d step out, but he wasn’t wearing shoes or socks, and it was much more pleasant where his vampire-pale skin wasn’t exposed to the burning sunlight.

The car door slammed shut. Eddie watched as Steve made his way across the grass toward the trailer. He had a slow, heavy stride. The giddiness started to recede from Eddie’s demeanour as Steve staggered closer, squinting under the harsh sunlight. “Girl scout delivery,” Steve huffed, after making his way up the steps. In his hand, he held a copy of Labyrinth.

“Whoa,” Eddie caught Steve by the forearm - which was very warm to the touch. Steve appeared to be winded just by having made his way up the porch steps, his frame heaving with panting breaths. Eddie took the tape from him, feeling the smooth edges of the brand-new jacket under his fingertips. “You okay?”

Steve’s head turned away. He held up an index finger, still panting. “Sorry, I- hihh-! Huh’ESCHHhiuu!! -ESCHH!!-ESCHHh!!” Ouch. Eddie winced slightly as Steve let out - no, was taken over by - three itchy sneezes, rapid and softer than his usual bigger, fuller-sounding ones.

“Bless,” Eddie breathed. 

Steve sniffled and exhaled stuffily, combing his hair back with his fingers. “God, sorry.” As his hair was pushed back, Eddie saw how his face shone with sweat, his eyes tired and sore-looking.

“That’s okay. Come in,” Eddie stepped back and pulled the door open wider.

Although Steve hadn’t moved - his nose was scrunching up again, and his frame seemed to rise and fall with longer, urgent breaths. He turned away again, lifting the crook of his arm. “Hihh- hiehh- AH’RESSCHHIOOO!!! Hihhh! HURRESSCHHIOO!!!” Those sounded more like him. “Sorry, fuck,” he panted, blinking through watery eyes. He raised an arm and leaned on the doorframe, somewhat dizzily. Then he pressed the back of the hand on the arm that was raised to his flaring nostrils. His eyes closed for a second as he took a moment to steady himself.

“What is it? Is it your head?”

Steve nodded, and his eyes opened again, as he seemed to regain some strength to enter the trailer. He paused again, a few steps in. The moment Eddie turned away to set down the tape on the coffee table, he started to sneeze again - a harsh, tiring fit that didn’t seem to want to end. AASSHHIEWW!! hyY’ESSCHHIEWW!! HRRISSCHHh-!! hih! huh- HURRESSCHHhh!! Oh by god, hihh-! huh’ISSCHH!!-ah’KGSCHH!!’RRSCHH!!”

“Bless you. Bless- Bless you,” Eddie turned back to him and came nearer. “Did you have your next dose of meds?”

“HURRESSCHHhiuh!!” Steve shook his head, and sneezed again. AAESSCHHIEWW!!! Ah-” Steve winced, his brow scrunching up in pain.

“Steve-”

“I’b fide- hihhH- Ah’ESSCHHiuh!! -ow, fuck… baybe I’b dot…” he croaked, reaching out a hand to lean on the counter. He squeezed his eyes shut, his head bowing slightly. Eddie approached slowly, watching with concern. Steve sniffled thickly. His nostrils were twinging frantically. He raised a shaky hand, and released a huge sneeze, which sprayed past his fingers and misted Eddie’s arms. “HRRRISSCHHHIUHH!!!” It was harsh enough to make him double forward, which was twice as dangerous in his uneasy state. He stumbled slighty, his shoulders already hitching with the next enormous sneeze. “HURRESSCHHHIUHH!!!”

“Whoa, there-” Eddie’s hands came up to steady him, one at his waist, the other at his shoulder. Steve folded with the next intense set of sneezes, which to his blind, miserably-allergic horror, had been released directly into Eddie’s shirt.

“HRRSSCHHMM!! RRSSCHHMM!! Hh- AAESSCHHMM!!-hhhh….” Eddie hugged Steve to his chest, holding him steadily as he exploded with each desperate, powerful sneeze. RRESSCHHMM!!hnhh… Hihh… hHRRISSCHH!!-hmnhh…” He felt Steve’s body sag, his hands coming up to support his muscled frame.

“Whoa,” Eddie put a hand over Steve’s arm, gripping his hard bicep. He held him up with his other arm, staggering back slightly. “Steve?” He tried to lean his head back to look at his face.

Steve regained his balance, holding onto Eddie’s shoulders. He blinked dizzily a couple of times, his eyes dazed and watery. “I’b s- … I’b sorry…” he panted.

“It’s all good. Come on,” Eddie said softly. “Let’s go to my room, yeah?”

Steve nodded, flushed and breathless. Eddie guided him slowly over to his room and had him sit down against the wall on his mattress. He sat there for a few seconds, looking purely tired and allergic. If anything, he was still trying to catch his breath.

“Here,” Eddie pressed something soft into Steve’s hand. Steve glanced down. It was a plaid handkerchief, old but clean. “Sorry, we don’t… always have tissues, and that’s probably better than paper towel. I promise it’s clean. Um. Give me a couple of minutes, okay? I’ll be right back.”

Steve nodded, and Eddie left to go get something. A heavy, dull pain was grinding through his forehead. He bowed his head slightly, his eyes squeezing shut. He opened his eyes again, and attempted to look around Eddie’s room. The posters were a bit fuzzy. 

“Hey,” Eddie appeared at his side and knelt down, holding a glass of water in his left hand and something else concealed in his right. He turned over his right hand. “Can I get you to swallow these?” There were three pills on Eddie’s palm. One pink, and two orange-ish red. Steve’s muddled gaze seemed more interested in the chipped black nail polish on Eddie’s right hand. Must have been from playing guitar. “Hey,” Eddie said again, gently. 

Steve blinked. “Yeah,” he whispered.

“Good.” 

Steve took the pills one at a time, swallowing them with gulps of water. Eddie waited cautiously, taking the glass back from him when he was done. He set it down on the nightstand and sat next to Steve, taking his left hand between both of his. Steve tried not to show it, but his head was still pounding. His eyes narrowed in a faint wince, and he resorted to closing them, leaning his head back against the wall.

“Jeez,” Eddie whispered. “How did you drive over here?” Steve shook his head. His Adam’s apple bobbed with a pained swallow. “I think you might need a doctor, Stevie. I don’t know if this kind of headache is normal.”

“They- They said…” Steve insisted softly. “Headaches are dorbal.”

“Has it ever gotten this bad?”

Eddie watched him with concern. Steve paused, breathing in soft huffs through his mouth. Eventually, he shrugged a little, glancing down at the cloth in his lap. Eddie sighed inwardly.

“I probably just deeded to sit dowd,” Steve muttered breathily. His head turned away slowly, and he raised the crook of his arm. “hrr’ISSCHHiuh!! Hih! HURRESCHHiuhh!! *sdrf!* ‘Scuse be.” Steve blinked through teary eyes. His hand slipped away from Eddie’s, fumbling to unfold and refold the handkerchief he’d given him.

“Bless you,” Eddie breathed.

Steve blew his nose, leaning forward slightly. He saw Eddie rise in his peripheral vision, and felt the mattress compress in front of him, as Eddie moved to sit down beside him. Eddie’s hand slid over his thigh, stopping gently on top of his knee. Steve lowered the handkerchief and sniffed. Then he slowly leaned his head on Eddie’s shoulder.

“Have you had anything to eat?” Eddie asked him softly.

“Ndo,” Steve whispered, after a few seconds.

“Do you want… a sandwich?” 

The corners of Steve’s lips curled into a tiny grin. He knew Eddie wasn’t the biggest cook, though he had a few things he knew here and there. Maybe that thought was a little mean, especially now, when he was offering to make him something. It made him love him all the more. Although - Steve was partly nervous that he’d throw up, if he tried to eat. But he knew that hunger was likely contributing to the headache.

“Okay.”

Eddie got up, and Steve felt the mattress sink around him as he moved toward the door. The swaying made him feel a little sick, but it didn’t last too long before Eddie stepped onto the floor. 

“Hey, change into these,” he said softly, offering the Bon Jovi tee and shorts to Steve. 

“Thagk you,” Steve breathed. He pressed his arms down on the mattress, pushing himself up.

“You don’t have to get up,” Eddie said gently.

“I kdow,” Steve grunted. “I’b fide.”

“Sure?” Eddie reached out to comb back a few strands of Steve’s hair.

“Yeah.” 

“Okay,” Eddie responded in a soft tone, and kissed him gently on the cheek before leaving the room.

After changing into the fresh set of clothes, Steve felt a bit better - at least, a little cooler. He went to the bathroom to splash some cold water on his face, then wandered into the kitchen. His head still hurt, but it seemed to be less intense than a few moments ago - better, after settling into a cooler temperature. He sat down at the small table by the kitchen, as Eddie was grabbing some ingredients from the fridge.

“Ed,” he breathed, after a few seconds.

Eddie glanced at him from over at the counter. “Hm?”

“Did you see- was I holdig by glasses?” Steve muttered, his eyes narrowing.

“No,” Eddie responded, his gaze shifting thoughtfully.

“Thigk I left theb id the car.”

“I can go grab them for you,” Eddie offered instantly.

“Ndo, Eds,” Steve was getting to his feet again. “It’s fide, I got it.” Eddie was about to let him, not wanting to bother him by making a big fuss - but that went out the window as Steve winced again, his face scrunching up in pain.

“Hey,” Eddie wiped his hands off on his jeans, and stepped over to Steve. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’b fide, it’s just by head-“

“Let me get them, Steve.”

“I can do it.”

“I know. I know. I’d just rather you sit here while I go, because clearly you’re in pain, and you don’t have to do this alone.” Eddie wasn’t sure where that speech came from, but it seemed to get through to Steve - who paused, his gaze fixed on something on the other side of the room. He sat down again, slowly. “Okay?” Eddie breathed. 

Steve’s hand came up to pull his keys from his pocket, his gaze still unmoving. He handed them to Eddie. “Okay.”

The temperature was still like a furnace outside. Eddie immediately felt grateful that he hadn’t let Steve go out to the car. He felt the heat getting absorbed by his dark hair as he unlocked the door to Steve’s maroon BMW. Whatever, it had to dry anyway. Speaking of furnaces. He’d probably had the air con on full blast. Eddie glanced across the driver’s seat to the passenger seat. He saw the round pair of glasses lying haphazardly in the passenger seat. He sat on the driver’s seat and leaned over to grab them.

“HURRESSCHHhhioo!! *sngk* Ugh. Hih- huh’EH’ESSCHHIOO!! *sdrff* Ughh…” Eddie was greeted by the sound of two rather wrenching sneezes as he opened the door to the trailer. Steve’s broad shoulders were expanding with another gasp, and catapulting forward with a rather harsh and wet-sounding, “AAAERSSCHHIEWW!! -unhh… *sdf*” Eddie could hear him panting softly after that one, before giving his nose a gushing blow into the handkerchief. He gently touched Steve’s arm. As Steve was wiping his teary eyes, Eddie slid the pair of glasses in front of him. “*snrf! snrff!* Thagks, Ed.” Steve said in a low, husky voice. Once he’d dried his eyes, he raised the round pair of lenses to his face.

Eddie watched for a couple of seconds as Steve leaned back slightly, his sore gaze directed at the table. “Does it help? Wearing the glasses? Eddie asked softly.

“Sobetibes. I dod’t kdow. It’s weir- *ahem* It’s weird.” He began rubbing hard at his nostrils with a knuckle. His hand flipped as he opted to use his palm to rub at his nose, which was wrinkling desperately. “Ahhh, *snrff!*” he groaned breathily, his flushed nostrils flaring. Eddie glanced back at him as he walked back to the counter. “Hhodly thi’g is… hhihhh… *sddrf!* ohh… huH’ISSCHHIEWW!! *sdrf!* hh’- it bight dot beehh… huhhidealhh… *snrk* if I’b- HURRESSCHHIOO!! ‘f I’b like this. *sdrf*” Steve snuffled thickly, and lowered the handkerchief, his eyes blinking with a watery sheen behind his glasses. He let out a weary sigh and raised them up to dab at his eyes with the folded cloth.

“Bless you,” Eddie said softly, spreading mayonnaise onto a piece of white bread. He stacked a few pieces of ham on top, then ripped open a square of processed cheese. 

“*sdrf!* Thagk you.” Steve sat quietly for the next few minutes, leaning his cheek on his hand. Eddie closed the sandwich with a second slice of bread, then took a serrated knife and cut it diagonally across.  He heard Steve sniffle wetly and exhale slowly - when he looked over, Steve was blinking uncomfortably, his scarlet nose twitching out of the reaches of another sneeze. Steve removed his glasses and wiped his watery eyes with his wrist. Eddie came over with the halved sandwich, and sat across from Steve at the table.

Steve slipped his glasses back on and rested his arms on the table, looking down at the ham and cheese sandwich Eddie had prepared. “Thagks,” he said quietly. Eddie noted how tired he sounded.

“‘Course.”

Steve took a small bite and chewed it for a bit, then swallowed. He paused a little, his eyes blinking rapidly for a moment. He raised a curled knuckle under his twinging nostrils. Eddie could tell he was trying hard not to sneeze. Steve swallowed, then finally gave in and turned his face to sneeze wetly into his right shoulder. “HRRESSCHHhh!! Hih! Hih’- hhhrRRISSCHHIEWW!!! *snrk!* Ugh, excuse be." he grunted, blinking his teary eyes. "God, your shirt is godda be...”

Eddie smiled sympathetically. “It's fine. And bless you, twice.”

Steve turned away again to sneeze into his arm. “'RRRTSCHHIUU!! *sddrff!*” He sniffled very wetly after that one. “‘Scuse be.” He huffed, lifting the handkerchief. He blew his nose briefly.

“Bless you.”

Steve lowered the handkerchief, and knuckled at his itchy, sore-looking nostrils. After a few seconds, his hand dropped, and he let out a tired sigh. “God. *snrf!*” A soft, sad chuckle emerged from him. “God, I’b sorry, I’b such a… fuckig bess.”

“You don’t have to apologize. Really.” Eddie murmured, putting a hand on Steve’s shoulder and stroking it with his thumb. “You’re my mess.”

A tiny, sad grin sparked over Steve’s face after hearing that. He’d abandoned the round spectacles on the table next to the plate with the sandwich, wiping his red, watery eyes with his wrists. His flushed, irritated nostrils twitched with a thick sniffle. Steve glanced down at the sandwich with one measly bite taken out of it, and exhaled through his mouth. 

“Try and have at least half,” Eddie said delicately, sensing a tired debate going on in Steve’s weary, zoned-out gaze. Steve’s expression seemed to soften, as if he hadn’t expected to have been read like that. He was just so tired, tired from working so many days in a row, tired of the headaches, the heat, and his allergies. He breathed steadily through the shift in his sinuses and throat that would have allowed tears, and made his fingers move to pick up the bitten half of the sandwich. His vision glazed over with moisture anyway, as he felt Eddie gently brush his hair out of his eyes.

Slowly, Steve ate half of the sandwich. He was beginning to think there wasn’t a time he felt more pathetic in his life - trying not to cry while eating a ham and cheese sandwich. That he hadn’t even made. His nose was streaming already as it is. Eddie didn’t say anything for a while. Steve sniffled and wiped his sore, itchy eyes with his palm. He put the last bite in his mouth and chewed, feeling the universe gradually stop swaying and come to a halt underneath his feet. He swallowed.

He sat there for a moment, unmoving. Eddie’s hand moved forward, touching the plate. “Done?” he asked softly. Steve nodded.

Eddie took the plate and got up to go to the kitchen. He covered the half-sandwich with an upside-down bowl and stuck it in the fridge. His gaze fell back on Steve, who remained seated, his arms folded on top of the table. Eddie closed the fridge and came back over to Steve, then sat down.

“You’re really not, you know,” Eddie said, breaking the silence. He stared at Steve, whose tired eyes were still fixed downward. “You’re not alone in this.” 

Steve let out a soft breath. He swallowed, his eyes trailing uneasily around the room. He wanted to say something like ‘I know. I’ve known that the entire time and it’s kind of what’s scaring me.’ He equally wanted to say nothing at all, to let the stupid lump in his throat dissipate and for Eddie to stop being worried. That wouldn’t just happen on its own, and he knew it. So after a moment, he cleared his throat softly and tried to sum it up as honestly as he could.

“I don’t know, Eds, I… I try to keep sticking myself to this idea of the whole ‘independence’ thing, but the truth is, that’s not how I’ve been for, well, my whole life, you know, and I… I keep thinking… what if I don’t end up being able to do it, and I end up letting you down, and-”

“Hey-”

“-and you and your uncle have already done so much for me, that I should at least be able to-”

“Steve.”

“-to put in the work.” At this point, Steve clasped his hands together, trying to conceal the tremors.

After another few moments of silence, Eddie leaned forward. “You know, today… Today is just a day that was really, really hard. And you were by yourself. You worked your ass off.” Steve gave a soft scoff, his gaze unmoving. “This week has been freakishly hot. Like, I should know, I’ve been to hell and back. And all the little goobers from the schoolyard are out for blood on the new releases.” He reached out and took Steve’s left hand, tugging it midway between them. Eddie felt it trembling slightly, and wrapped his fingers around it. He placed his other hand on top. “All I’m saying is that you will never have to live this day again. And I promise, you will not have to be alone for the ones to come. However shitty. Hot, or cold... Whatever happens. And even if I’m not always there, I know that things will work out for you. They will.”

All that was elicited was a shaky breath from Steve, who stared at both of Eddie’s hands over his. After a still moment, Steve uttered something shakily. “‘You feel it in your bones’?”

Eddie grinned softly. “Yeah,” he whispered, with a small nod.

Steve looked away, his expression a fragile sort of neutral, until his gaze returned to their hands at the centre of the table. A tear slid down his cheek. 

Eddie squeezed Steve’s hand. He reached out with his other hand and wiped the tear from Steve’s face, then went back to sheltering his hand. Steve’s right hand slid over and joined the shelter of fingers. Steve sniffled wetly, finding himself within the strange deja vu that he seemed to revisit only when he cried in front of others, which wasn’t often at all. The answer to the question was always the same. You couldn’t put it back the way it was. There was only the truth of the matter, and there was no changing that, therefore it was useless to make a fuss in such a dramatic way.

His swarm of thought was interrupted as something heavy knocked into him, almost putting him off balance again. Eddie had gotten up and wrapped his arms around him. Steve took another shaky breath, his arms finding their way around Eddie’s waist. Eddie was squeezing so tightly that it almost hurt. But at this point, as he stared at the Munson’s small kitchen and the collection of baseball caps adjacent to it, he felt himself being pulled back to the present. This was a moment that would last for as long as they stayed like this. Then it would be gone. And it occurred to him that his work day was just the same. And other moments in his life, good and bad. Steve squeezed his arms around Eddie, pressing the side of his face into his chest. And he tried to imprint the image of Uncle Wayne’s baseball cap collection adjacent to the dimly lit kitchen at this very moment, into his mind.

-

The temperature gradually lowered as the evening set in. Steve had fallen asleep on Eddie’s mattress, his bedroom peacefully darker than the rest of the trailer with the curtains drawn. After he’d finished eating, Eddie got him to take a shower, after which he promptly conked out. Eddie sat in a goblin-like position in his desk chair, painting a tiny orc-shaped plastic figure that Max had requested he design for her. His uncle had been in and out to say goodbye before leaving for work, dropping off two burgers for the two of them in a paper bag on the counter. Eddie peeked behind the curtain to see that it was just about twilight. He set the orc figurine down on his desk to dry, then stretched his legs out and stood up from his chair. 

Eddie glanced down at Steve, who was lying on his back, snoring softly. Clad only in the red gym shorts, the grey t-shirt had been tossed over the back of the desk chair. Eddie tried to lighten his footsteps as he made his way to the door. A thin beam of light streamed in from the hall as he quietly opened the door, then stepped out and shut it quietly behind him.

He walked to the kitchen, greeted by the quiet symphony of crickets coming from outside. He grabbed a bottle of water from the counter and put it in his knapsack. Then his eyes fell on the paper bag on the far side of the counter. The burger would be good for lunch tomorrow. The smell of fatty oils lured him to the bag, which upon investigation, also contained two small orders of fries.

“Ed?” Eddie turned his head to look down the hall. Steve’s face was contorting into a yawn, as he rubbed at one eye, the other hand tugging down the hem of his shirt. Not the Bon Jovi one - but one of Eddie’s older Corroded Coffin t-shirts, that had been mercilessly cropped around the midriff area. It was a bigger size though, and Steve had pulled up the red shorts, so the most Eddie saw was the small line of hair leading to his belly button.

“Hey, roadie.” The words escaped him through a wide grin, which he was certain was as goofy as the Eddie who’d made the t-shirt years back.

“What’s that?” Steve came up behind him and kissed Eddie on the neck, leaving one of his arms slung around his waist.

“Uncle Wayne got us burgers.” Eddie responded, chewing another French fry. “You want?” 

“That sounds good. I still have half the sandwich you made, though.”

“Oh. Well, you could have it for breakfast. Or, I could have it for breakfast, I was planning on making pancakes.” He turned and fed Steve a French fry.

Steve chewed on it and gave a small “Hm.” He swallowed. “Pancakes, huh?

“Yep.”

“Well, I’m not gonna say no to that.” Steve murmured. Eddie thought his voice sounded cute when it was softer like that, as if his mouth was on autopilot but still managed to be suave somehow. Although - the key word here was autopilot.

“What?” Eddie turned around slowly and put his arms around Steve’s waist. He brushed a few strands of hair out of his face, and scanned Steve’s weary eyes behind his glasses. “You’re worrying again.”

“It’s… It’s,” Here was the autopilot again. Eddie could practically see the tiny pilot in a scarf and goggles jiggling the controls, then considering jumping out of Steve’s ear.

“It’s okay.” Eddie said calmly, looking Steve in the eyes. “It’s gonna be okay.”

This time, Steve sniffed and nodded. Eddie let his hands descend.

“Are you gonna have yours now?” Steve asked softly, resting his hands on his own hips.

“Nah, I’ve been snacking all day. I was just getting my stuff ready cuz I have work tomorrow.” Eddie responded casually, grabbing his work gloves from the shelf and stuffing them in his bag.

“hrr’ESSCHHhiuh!!”

Eddie turned his head around to peek at Steve. “Bless you.”

“*snrf* Thank you.” Steve lifted the bottom hem of the shirt to wipe his eyes. “Come to bed?” This request was mumbled, as Steve straightened his glasses and combed back his messy hair. A small grin perked at the corners of Eddie’s lips.

“In a sec. You’re not hungry?”

“Mm, just a little bit.”

“Here, have the fries.” Eddie passed him one of the small paper bags with French fries, which Steve took absentmindedly. Once they were in his hand, he shrugged inwardly, then wandered over to the sofa and sat down. As Eddie kept puttering around, Steve’s gaze fell on the copy of Labyrinth on the coffee table, the one he’d brought over earlier that afternoon. David Bowie’s heavily made up gaze stared into his soul.

“We never ended up watching it,” Steve gestured to the tape. Eddie looked over.

“Huh? Oh. How about tomorrow?” 

“After your DND session?”

“Yeah.” Eddie grinned softly at Steve over the counter. “Come pick me up at Wheeler’s and we’ll head back here.”

“Who said I didn’t want to stick around?” Steve replied smoothly, returning the grin.

“Well, okay, honey pie. Sweetcheeks.”

Steve groaned, feeling his face flush. “God, I thought I was bad at this.”

“Bad?” Eddie repeated, looking utterly delighted. “You’re saying that you don’t like my lovely terms of endearment?”

Steve got up from the couch and walked around the counter. “‘Sweetcheeks’?” he could barely bring himself to repeat, stepping on the trash pedal and tossing out the empty paper bag. 

“Stevie-poo,” Eddie added, just for laughs. Steve groaned in response, fleeing slowly to the bedroom.

“Good night,” Steve called back down the hall.

“Steve, wait,” Eddie laughed, and followed him down the hall. When he caught up to him, he tickled his back, making Steve’s spine arc.

“Hey!” He exclaimed, then at a weak point when Eddie was laughing, Steve went for his ribs. Eddie folded, shrieking.

The two of them went to the bedroom, where they fell into a relaxed, comfortable silence. Eddie shut the door, while Steve sat down on the mattress, and moved into a reclined position, resting his head on the pile of pillows. Eddie came and kneeled down, then joined Steve lying down. He rolled onto his side and laid one arm over Steve’s chest, and Steve’s hand came up to hold it there.

Steve thought about what Max said again. He could see it vividly in his mind, her living the dream. Driving a car - one that wasn’t the maroon BMW - at high speeds down a sunny, open road, with her red hair blowing in the wind. Steve wondered if he’d ever believe in dreams of ‘one day’ the same way ever again. It was different now. He couldn’t rely on dreams like before.

He snuggled Eddie closer and took a deep breath, staring at the ceiling.

“You okay?” Eddie breathed into his shoulder.

Steve blinked, arriving back in the present. He felt Eddie’s body against him, gently rising and falling with each breath. 

It definitely was different. And it would keep changing. But there were things he had reason to believe in, and that would keep him going. 

“Yeah,” Steve whispered, after a few seconds. “Yeah, I think so.”

Well this was just amazing! You made my holiday! I love how express the dynamics of the characters and eddie is so sweet with Steve , i just love it. Thank you for writing this, I LOVE everything you’ve written here. ❤️

I’m dead!!!! This is so good!!!! I actually want to cry! Steve is so hard on himself and I love that you write Eddie showing him that he doesn’t need to be. And Stevie boy is so allergic oh my god, perfection. Always love your writing!!

On 12/29/2022 at 12:35 AM, Ivorygrace27 said:

Well this was just amazing! You made my holiday! I love how express the dynamics of the characters and eddie is so sweet with Steve , i just love it. Thank you for writing this, I LOVE everything you’ve written here. ❤️

Thank you!! I'm flattered when people say I capture characters/dynamics, it's evident to how big a fan I am of them and I appreciate that a lot. :wub:

On 12/31/2022 at 1:12 AM, Prongs said:

I’m dead!!!! This is so good!!!! I actually want to cry! Steve is so hard on himself and I love that you write Eddie showing him that he doesn’t need to be. And Stevie boy is so allergic oh my god, perfection. Always love your writing!!

Ahh, thanks so much! 

(Happy new year y'all, and sorry that I don't always reply. I just want to say thanks for reading and giving feedback! It goes a long way. :heart:)

• 11 months later...

This was so amazing! The sheer desperation and intensity of Steve’s allergies, the way Eddie cares for him, it’s just all so perfect