Sneeze Fetish Forum

All-nighter (Stranger Things, Steve) 3/3

Skylacticon

Heyo. I decided it was time for more Steve. Peace and love~

-

The Munson Trailer. 2:45AM. A warm summer night.

Steve sucked in another hard sniffle. His nasal passages felt fully inflamed. He was completely blocked up, and his nose kept dripping, itching madly. He felt constantly on the verge of a sneeze - his eyes watering and itching. It felt as if there were a feather in both of his nostrils, teasing his sensitive sinuses. He hitched and gasped softly, nostrils flaring wide.

“Hihh… *sngk* *snrff!* hiehh… hih?” He sniffled thickly, feeling his nose drip down his face. He gasped and pulled the collar of his shirt over his nose. “gk’ISSCHHiu!!-ISSCHHh!! *snrgk* hih! EH’KGSCHHhh!!” He sneezed wetly all over his chest, and emerged, sniffling drippily. He blinked through allergic tears and kept flipping through his papers.

He kept sniffling wetly, pausing a few times to rub his itchy nose in hard, stubborn circles. He opted to breath only through his mouth. His nose ran constantly. It felt like it was on fire. He sniffled wetly and coughed.

A couple of minutes later, he pulled his collar over his nose again. “EESCHHIUU!! Hih! HRRAASSCHH!!-unhh… *snrk!* *sddrff*” Ohh…” he sighed softly, sniffling softly.

“Steve, hun.” Eddie appeared in the hallway, stepping slowly into the light of the kitchen.

“*snrff*…” Steve paused, the bottom of his face still hidden under the collar of his shirt. He let it drop, revealing his poor, sniffly nose, a sore, angry shade of red. “Hey.” He sniffled again, wetly, and ran his fingers through his hair.

Eddie came closer, stepping behind Steve and gently putting an arm around his shoulders. “You okay? What’s this?”

“*snnrff* … Food safety. *snrf!*” Steve blinked his watery eyes, which were bloodshot and swollen. He sniffled again. His eyelids fluttered shut, and his fingers fumbled for the collar of his shirt again. “Hihh! Hihh- hih’-!” He hastily pulled the fabric over his nose. “HRRUSSCHHIOO!!!” His frame shook with the thunderous sneeze, followed by a long, wet sniffle.

“Bless you, sweetheart,” Eddie breathed. He ran his fingers through Steve’s hair and kissed the side of his head.

He stood there quietly, his hand descending to Steve’s shoulder. Steve wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, and exhaled stuffily, glancing down at his notes.

“I’b godda flunk this test, *sdrff!* I cad dever… hih-!” Steve gasped and hitched softly, his words chopped up by drippy sniffles. “Cad dever rebe’ber the details id such a *sdrff!* a short tibe, a’d… *snrgk!* god, I have to sdeeze…” His head tilted back, his eyes shut. His red nostrils were flaring, still running profusely. Then his head tilted back forward, and he rubbed his nose hard, making a wet squishy sound. “*snrk!* This test is od Tuesday, a’d I’ve had… *hhsdrff!* doe tibe to study.”

“You should blow your nose, babe.” Eddie said softly, next to Steve’s ear.

“I rad out of tissues, *sddrff!*” Steve muttered miserably, with a particularly drenched sniffle. His breath was still hitching, his eyes glassy with allergic tears. “Huhh…” He glanced around, sniffling drippily. Again, as a final resort, he pulled the collar of his shirt over his nose and let out three desperate, wrenching sneezes. “hnnhH’RRUSSCHHh!! -USSCHHhiu!! hAH’KTSCHH!! *snnrk! sddrff*”

Eddie went to one of the drawers next to the cupboards and pulled out a few bandanas. He unfolded one, and refolded it in half. As Steve was sniffling messily under his shirt collar, Eddie rubbed his hand gently on his back. “Babe,” he breathed, holding the cloth where Steve could see it.

“Hihhh,” Steve hitched, on the cusp of another sneeze. “hg’ISSCHHhioo!! *snnrk!*” Another ticklish sneeze slipped out, before he reached out and took the cloth. He let the collar of his shirt fall, and sniffled hard - hard enough that the V-shaped muscle in his neck was visible for a second. Eyelids fluttering, he hastily folded the hanky over his nose and sneezed wetly into it. “EESSCHHIEWW!! rRR'ESSCHHIOO!! *snrk* hih- huh’AASSCHHIEWW!!”

Sympathy spread into Eddie’s chest, watching and rubbing Steve’s back in slow circles. He sniffled again, thickly, and wiped his eyes. Then, after a few breaths, he began to blow his nose. At first it was very wet and gurgly. He kept blowing, pausing every few seconds to breathe. But after a while it was just congested honks. Steve stopped and lowered the cloth, which was now considerably damp. He sniffled a few times and coughed.

Eddie ran both his hands over Steve’s shoulders, up and down, then massaging near the base of his neck. When Steve was done blowing, his shoulders slumped, gently rising and falling with soft breaths.

“Why don’t you come to bed?” Eddie asked, his voice softer than velvet.

“Tried. Cad’t sleep,” Steve whispered. He wiped his teary eyes and sniffled thickly.

Eddie felt a streak of sympathy, and stood there, trying to think of how to make Steve more comfortable. “There’s more here, just use them.” He patted the small pile of hankies on the counter, next to Steve’s books.

Steve gazed tiredly at the little pile, looking exhausted, but the slightest bit relieved. “Thagks.”

“No problem,” Eddie breathed. “Pollen’s pretty bad, huh?” he said softly.

“Oh by god, dod’t say that word,” Steve muttered breathily into the folded bandana. “eh’huhH- ah’AAEISSCHHIEWW!!! Hihhh- HURRESSCHHIEWW!!!” He released two gargantuan sneezes, a bit more relaxed now that he had something to sneeze into.

“Bless you. I’m sorry,” Eddie murmured, gently scratching Steve’s back.

“I dod’t uddersta’d, I- hahhh… *sdrf!* It’s dever beed this bad.” Steve rubbed his nose through the cloth. “I took by beds, hh’a’d I’b still… hihhh… HESSSCHHIEWW!!!”

“Bless you, baby.”

“*snrk* I duddo what’s happedig.” Eddie lifted his hand and felt Steve’s forehead. “I dod’t thigk I’b sick. *sngk*”

Eddie drew back his hand. “You don’t?” he asked gently, looking at Steve with a soft expression.

“Doe. *sdrf!* This started like, begiddig of Bay, whed thigs… *hsnnrff!* whed thigs started bloobig agaid.”

“I’m gonna make you some tea, okay?” Eddie straightened and walked around the counter to fill the kettle.

“Eddie,” Steve rasped. When Eddie looked over, Steve’s eyes were glassy and bloodshot, looking preoccupied.

“Yes, dear?”

Steve sniffled thickly. “Doe, baybe- baybe I forgot to take by bedicide?”

Eddie paused and looked up from the sink, frowning. “No,” he said, after a beat. “No, I saw you.”

“hgG’ISSCHHIUU!!”

Eddie winced. It was a harsh, nasal sneeze, followed by a soft cough. “Bless,” he said softly, and switched on the kettle.

“RRMFSSCHH!!” Ouch. Eddie glanced over. Steve’s brow was furrowed, making for an angry-like expression - it sounded as if he’d tried to muffle the sneeze, and it had only backfired. “Hih-! HAAESSCHHIEWW!!! -ohhh…” The resulting sneeze was harsh and winding, followed by a pained groan. Eddie sighed softly. The kettle clicked as the water finished boiling, and Eddie could hear it bubbling within.

As Eddie poured the water into a mug over a teabag, he noticed it was oddly quiet. Once he’d filled the mug, he glanced up to see Steve pinching the bridge of his nose, looking rather miserable. He waited a beat, leaning away to put the kettle back in its spot.

“Hey,” Eddie breathed. “Is- Is there pain?” he asked softly, walking around the counter to Steve. He set the tea down. “Hey, talk to me,” he said softly, gently touching Steve’s arm.

“Just a little,” Steve exhaled, wincing.

“Is it your sinuses?”

Steve swallowed and nodded. His gaze wouldn’t lift from the countertop.

Eddie sighed. “Poor thing.”

“It’s dot- it’s dot that bad,” Steve croaked. “I just deed-“

“Some ice, maybe?”

“Sobe ice,” Steve nodded.

Eddie stroked his thumb over Steve’s arm, then turned to go to the shelf. There was another thick, congested sniffle, followed by some softer sniffles, and when Eddie turned back, Steve was wiping his eyes. Eddie grabbed an ice pouch from the cabinet and went to fill it with some ice.

“huHt’yYESSCHHIEWW!! Jesus, *sdrff!*"

“Bless you.”

“huht’TDJSCHH!! *sngk*” There was a beat, then a soft, breathy, “Oh by god.”

They were getting intense. Steve was already gearing up for the next sneeze, his red, swollen nostrils flaring wide.

“h-huh! HAAESSCHHIEWW!!!” There was another silent pause. Eddie glanced over again, to see Steve massaging the bridge of his nose, and breathing heavily through his mouth. His eyes were staring blankly, glassy with tears.

“Ooh,” Eddie breathed, his voice softened with sympathy.

“Ow,” Steve whispered, rather shakily.

“Okay, sweetheart,” Eddie came over with the ice, and carefully approached Steve.

“Ow,” he muttered again. He almost flinched as Eddie came closer with the ice, his thumb and forefinger hovering over the bridge of his nose.

“Okay,” Eddie breathed. “That was a rough one, huh?”

Steve’s eyes flickered up at Eddie. A tear rolled down his cheek as he blinked. He shaded his eyes with his hand, half-hiding his pained expression, and rested his elbow on the counter. He sighed, looking absolutely done with this. “Sod of a bitch,” he huffed, his voice thick.

“I know. Here, see if this helps.”

Steve’s frame rose as he drew in a harsh sniffle, sounding so congested that it made sympathy sink heavily into Eddie’s chest. His shoulders descended as he sighed stuffily. A slow, shaky inhale followed, and two more tears fell. Steve squeezed his eyes shut and took the ice pack. He held it next to his very red nose, under his left eye.

Eddie stood behind him patiently, feeling Steve’s back expand and fall against his stomach. He put his hand around Steve’s right arm and stroked gently with his thumb.

After a while, Steve raised his head slightly, and snuffled thickly. He lifted a wrist and coughed, then wiped at his cheeks.

“Cad we lie dowd?” He asked in a low, croaky voice.

“Of course, babe.”

“…I’b so tired, Ed.”

“I know. I bet you are.”

“ah… heh- huht’EEISSCHH!!-unhh… *snnrff!*” A desperate, uncovered sneeze, one that scraped through his irritated throat and jerked his tired frame forward. He snorted and sniffled wetly, blinking watery eyes. “Ex-“ his voice cracked, and he made a weak half-attempt to clear his throat. “Excuse be.”

“Bless you,” Eddie wiped away another tear that had slipped down Steve’s tired, flushed face. More seemed to stream down as Steve’s nostrils flared, an angry, itchy shade of red.

“h-huhd’ESSSCHHIEWW!!! *snrk! snnrff!*”

“Bless you.” Moving swiftly, Eddie pulled one of the hankies on the counter, and folded it in his hands. He was about to start wiping at the streaks of moisture running down from Steve’s eyes - but he was practically gasping, his sore, red nostrils flaring wide. Eddie quickly moved the cloth over Steve’s trembling, explosive nose, just in time for-

“heehHH’RRESSCHHIEWW!!!” A harsh, splattering sneeze. Eddie felt the impact of it against his palm, the warm breath, the damp aftermath. He felt the slow, pained exhale as Steve winced, his eyes crinkling and glistening with tears.

“There, there, sweetheart,” Eddie murmured in a low voice, wiping very gently at Steve’s nose.

Steve froze. He hadn’t had someone do that for him since he was a little kid. Although, he was too tired, and in too much pain to care. Eddie kept wiping his nose, in slow, delicate motions. It felt good. He blinked his sore, irritated eyes, and gently leaned his weary head into Eddie’s chest.

“I know,” Eddie breathed. “Come on. Let’s get you into bed.”

There were no arguments against that sentence. The stool knocked against the counter as Steve got up, and reached for Eddie as his head swam. Eddie wrapped an arm around Steve’s waist, there to support him.

“yYih’AASSCHHiuhh!! *snrk!*” Steve pitched forward with another ticklish sneeze, and grabbed onto Eddie’s shoulder to keep his balance.

“Oop. I’ve got you,” Eddie assured him, holding him steady. He took the handkerchief that he was holding and pressed it into Steve’s free hand. Steve sniffled wetly and quickly wiped his nose - then reached for the ice pack on the counter. “Ready?” Eddie asked softly. Steve nodded, panting through his mouth.

Slowly and steadily, the two made their way down the hall and into the bedroom. The textbook lay open on the counter, surrounded by used tissues and hankies.

It could wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Skylacticon

Omg this is so good, you write these so well! Have you ever considered doing a Timothee Chalamet fic?

I have to say, I have read and enjoyed all of your works thus far, both fanfiction and original fiction.  This one, leaves them all in the dust!  You really put Steve through it, and I mean, I can understand why, he is just such a perfect martyr!  And Eddie, is literally the sweetest.  Their dynamic is just amazing, and you really did an amazing job of making Steve's misery, palpable.  As always, I eagerly anticipate whatever you have in store, and I am ever so grateful for all of your previous works!

This is so lovely. I love the way you write these two so much! It feels very true to character and your spellings are A++ 💖

@Shary Thanks! I haven't seen a lot of his works, so maybe if I get around to doing it I might? Some recommendations would be nice 👀

@funbusej Ah, I always appreciate your kind words and you reading my stuff. I'm so so glad you enjoyed it. And yeah, Steve is one of my favourites. I always have fun writing these two.

@snifflesncuddles Thanks, I appreciate it~ 😚

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has everything I love in a sneezefic 🥹 and the way you spelled Steve’s sneezes is chef’s kiss. 🫡

• 4 weeks later...

@claire h @hetchiew @lsbn @Prongs Thank you so much! I'm glad y'all liked it. ❤️ 

A little more misery and angst. xx

-

Eddie's room. 3:07AM. A breezy, dark, summer morning.

Steve took another heavy breath through dry lips. He knelt slowly, and sat down on the bed. Eddie sat beside him and reached behind to grab some pillows. He arranged them so that Steve could recline, and gently urged him to lie back.

“There you go,” Eddie said softly.

“Thagks,” Steve exhaled, his voice gone. He closed his eyes, resting his head back on the pillow. He sniffled thickly and chuckled wheezily. “You dod’t b-bide be -huh! be- huh’KJSCHHh!! Hih! huh’ESSCHHIEWW!!” His pink, sensitive nostrils twinged as he spoke, and he could barely hold back as the itch overpowered his sore nasal passages. He hastily brought up the blue hanky in his fingers to catch a third itchy sneeze, his eyes blurring with tears. HAASSCHHiuhh!!”

Eddie put a warm hand on Steve’s shoulder, and stroked gently with his thumb. “Bless you,” he said delicately, and reached over with his other hand to wipe away an itchy tear that had spilled onto Steve’s cheek.

Steve took a couple of slow breaths, and gave his nose a short, thick blow. He started again, croakily: “You dod’t… *akhemm*” He cleared his throat and sniffled heavily, pushing a curled knuckle under his flaring nostrils. “You dod’t bide that I’b godda sdore?”

“It’s gonna happen, Stevie. You need your rest. I’ll be right here beside you.” Steve stared as Eddie laid down next to him.

“You said I sdore pretty loud,” Steve huffed, closing his eyes.

Eddie’s lips pinched into a sheepish, sympathetic grin. He glanced over at Steve, who’s tired eyes were still closed, his chest rising and falling gently. He looked like he could use a nice, long sleep, and was slowly drifting toward it. Though, a rather liquid sniffle broke the silence, and his eyelashes fluttered, his hands hastily fumbling to move the cloth to his face.

“heh'd’zZSSCHHhioo!! *snnnrk* ughh…” 

“Bless you,” Eddie breathed.

Steve cautiously lowered the cloth and refolded it, then lifted it to his nose for a long, wet blow. He folded the cloth again and dabbed carefully at his scarlet nostrils. Still, he sucked in another wet sniffle, and raised the damp cloth to wipe his runny nose.

“Here, Steve,” Eddie nudged Steve gently, offering a fresh hanky. 

Steve glanced over, and sighed softly. He accepted the new hanky and put the soiled one on the side table. He folded the cloth and lifted it over his nose for another drenched blow. When he emerged, pressed a curled knuckle against his sore, red nostrils, and sighed.

“Just cad’t stop… *snrk!* hahh- sdeezig…” He rubbed under his nose with his bent index finger, and paused, his eyes narrowing. Swiftly, he raised the crook of his arm. “huh’KGSCHH!! uh’ISSCHHiuh!! Huh! *snnrff*” Steve lifted his chin for a moment, his nostrils flaring wide, before finally pitching forward a third time. “hh’RRESSCHHIOO!! *snrf!*” He blinked for a moment, dazed, before his breath snagged again. “huhh… oh doe, I- AAESSCHHIEWW!!”

“Bless you, sweetheart.”

Shit. Steve glanced down through bleary eyes, his red nostrils wrinkling with another harsh, congested sniffle that did nothing to stop the mess from flowing onto his upper lip. God, it hurt - his sinuses just felt so heavy… He huffed a few soft breaths, before hurriedly raising the handkerchief.

“hdzZ’ESSCHHhhiu!!-esSCHhiu!!” After the urgent, lung-emptying pair of sneezes, Steve gasped in a long breath and sneezed with all his might. “HAAESSCHHIEWW!! .…. Asschhieww!! -AASCHhiu!!-aschhiew!!”

“Bless you,” Eddie repeated with a touch of concern, and reached over to stroke Steve’s thigh.

Steve snorted and snuffled wetly, blinking down through itchy tears as he folded the handkerchief. His shoulders shook with a couple of congested-sounding coughs, followed by a few wet sniffles. He finally finished folding it properly and lifted it to his nose for another thick, wet blow.

“Ohh… shit. *snrk!*” he whispered, as he lowered the damp hanky. He raised his other hand to gently wipe his sore, teary eyes.

“Oh, sweetheart,” Eddie breathed, sitting up to face Steve, his chest fluttering with sympathy. He stared at Steve with concern, and raised the back of his hand to feel Steve’s forehead again. Then he felt Steve’s neck. He lowered it, pausing slightly. “…You have a fever.”

Steve sighed, looking very tired now. He ran a hand over his forehead and pinched the bridge of his nose, beneath a furrowed brow. “Doe." He shook his head. "Doe, it’s gotta be allergies.” He lowered his hand and glanced at Eddie. “I’b fide, besides the fahhct that- whoa-“ He shifted to sit up straight, but froze, blinking hard. 

“Whoa, what is it, are you okay?” Eddie asked quickly.

Steve blinked a couple more times, and winced a little. “Yeah. Sorry. *snrk!* Bust be dizzy frob, *ahem* all the sdeezig.”

“Steve, honey.” Eddie pressed.

“It’s just… a bad polled day… *sddrff!*” Steve laid back slowly, trying and failing to mask his wooziness. He took a deep breath and shut his eyes.

“Steve?” Eddie reached over Steve and took his elbow. He squeezed it gently.

Steve didn’t respond. The creases between his eyebrows had smoothed. Eddie put a ringed hand over his cheek. 

“Hey, Steve,” Eddie said softly, but firmly.

Steve’s eyes fluttered open and looked up at Eddie. “Sorry, I’b… *snrgk* I’b just tired.”

“I know, my love. I want you to do something for me, okay?”

“What?” Steve rasped, looking confused.

“I need you to stay awake so I can give you some medicine. And then we can go to sleep, okay?” 

“I already took-“

“-No. Steve,” Eddie bit down on his lip, and took a steady breath. “Honey - you’re sick. Your sinuses don’t get like this unless you’re sick.”

Steve sniffled wetly and sighed. “Doe, I’b dot.”

“Hey, stop." Eddie said firmly. “Okay?” Steve’s sore eyes opened to see Eddie’s staring back into his. It made him pause a little, the captivating power they had. Soon after they had him, they softened, causing Steve to back down, his body going limp as he relaxed. He stared at the ceiling with tired, swollen eyes. His chest rose and fell with a soft sigh.

“Okay,” Steve whispered, with resignation.

Eddie reached over to put a hand over Steve’s forearm. He felt awful for him, but at least this had been a win. Eddie waited a beat, gently stroking his thumb over Steve’s wrist. Afterward, he got up, and headed off in the direction of the kitchen.

Read this chapter twice today. Really love it! Poor baby, no wonder he’s sneezing so much. Sickness on top of already bad allergies? He’s miserable, and because I’m me, I’m here for it. But I feel bad for him! Ah, you know what I mean 😜

Hey again. I was just thinking, it wouldn’t be an ‘all-nighter’ without going all night.

@Prongs Thank you! And yup. I do. ❤️

Hope y’all are well. xx

Eddie’s room. 4:47AM. Breezy and cool. Not quite dawn.

Steve awoke, feeling like a sack of rice. His whole body felt heavy, achy to move. His mouth was dry - his nasal passages totally out of commission, also feeling heavy and sore. In fact, they hurt. In little sparks of itchy soreness, that tickled across the roof of his mouth. He immediately aborted the move to try and sniffle, though his chapped upper lip felt a bit moist. He wasn’t sure if his sore sinuses could take it.

Instead, he breathed through his mouth. That still itched a little bit, but he didn’t see another option. Eddie was sleeping next to him on his right, his head laid on top of one arm. His warmth was comfy, his breathing calm and steady. 

Steve coughed suddenly - the congestion was getting a bit much, filling his sinuses, running down his throat. And the sore itch flared up, making his eyelids flutter and his nostrils widen. He tried to keep breathing through his mouth, moving slowly and carefully away from Eddie. 

He cautiously began to sit upright. As he did this, the centre of his forehead began to scream with a heavy, dull pain, making his eyes water even more. He finally made it upright - and stayed frozen for a moment, trying to breathe steadily. You’re okay. You’re okay.

The one thing he knew was that he desperately needed to blow his nose, however much it hurt or itched, right now it just felt so fucking heavy. He couldn’t do it here. No. He wasn’t going to wake Eddie again, and definitely not like that.

Jesus. Standing - or trying to, was even worse. Steve began to think of the days following his concussion, where for a while it was hard to get up without his head pounding and the room spinning. What he reached for were parts of the room that he knew by heart: Eddie’s nightstand, with the little warlock figurine on it. The desk in front of the door, with the spinny chair in front of it. Another breath, and- the door handle, and the doorframe.

His feet stumbled over the cool tiles in the hall - and made his best effort to walk in a straight line, towards the bathroom. Another cough rose in his sore throat - thick, causing mucus to seep down his upper lip. He sniffled instinctively, which actualized as an itch-expediting snort - and hurried forward into the Munson’s small bathroom, hastily shutting the door behind him.

Steve’s dark silhouette stood in front of the rectangular mirror above the sink. There was a dim light beaming in from the small window near the ceiling, that came from a streetlight outside. He didn’t dare turn on the light - his head felt like it was about to explode. Jeez, what time was it?

Panting stuffily, Steve made a dizzy grab for the toilet paper, pulling sheets and folding them into a sizable wad in his hands. Carefully, he turned, and sat down on the lid of the toilet, which had a furry blue cover on top of it.

Slowly, cautiously, he brought the folded wad of toilet paper to his dripping nose, and began to blow. He winced, feeling a dull ache below both of his eyes, and the soft tissue paper grew damp, heavy. After it felt like all the air had left his lungs, he took a few panting breaths through his mouth, and coughed. Steve tossed the soiled tissue in the wastebasket and pulled more from the roll. The shift from blowing was temporarily gratifying, at least some of it could be cleared - but his sinuses were still inflamed, and very sore. In fact, the cool air that followed the heavy nose blow was enough to make his tender nasal passages burn. He blinked rapidly a few times, tears getting caught in his long eyelashes.  

“ighH… hehh?”  He sniffled thickly, and lowered the tissue. It itched so intensely that his nose began to drip again, leaking down his upper lip, as his breath came in soft hitches. “Hehh! Hih! Hihhh…” Steve’s red, sore nostrils flared wide, and he sniffled noisily against the congestion. “*sdrff!* hunhh…” His eyelids fluttered as he gasped in more hitching breaths. 

God, this was gonna hurt. But it was so, so itchy. The moment he was tipped off the edge, there was a split-second thought, a consideration of trying to keep quiet - but any and all chances of that folded at the mercy of the relentless itch. 

“h-heh- hihh-? hEH’dzZ’ISSCHHIEWW!!… ughh…” The first explosive sneeze ripped through his sore, tender sinuses, aggravating the irritation. A small, pained groan escaped his lips, as he panted against the folded tissue.

He tilted his head back, his pink, itchy eyes fluttering shut as his breath hitched. “hihh… eh’Hihh… *snrg* heiHh? hih!! HAASSCHHIUU!! Hihh!! HAATSCHHIEWW!!! hEH’ihh- haahh’AASSHHIEWWW!!!”

Each harsh, scraping, desperate sneeze tried to scratch at the burning, tickling itch in his nasal passages. His eyes wouldn’t stop watering, welling up as the sensation overwhelmed him.

“heh’ighh-!? hht-!- g’ughh… *sddrff*” He snuffled and coughed, wincing at the ache in his throat. He pressed the tissue paper to his throbbing nose, slowly massaging his swollen, sneezy nostrils. “heehhhh!- hEH’RRRISSCHHhhiuu!!” 

After taking a few breaths, he made another attempt to blow his nose. It was wet at first, but still left him blocked up. He soon regretted blowing that hard. His head swam for a second, and he coughed, trying to catch his breath.

Leaning forward with his elbows on his thighs, he stared down at the blue, furry carpet that matched the toilet seat. He attempted deep breaths - something that was good for the usual headaches, but less effective when he was so prone to sneezing. Maybe it could help. He closed his eyes, his lips closing with a shaky swallow, as he waited for the pain to ease, just a little bit. Enough so he could get up, and try to do something about it.

It would pass. This feeling would pass. It was just a little cold, made more difficult at this time of year, but it was just a cold, it would pass.

After a bit, he opened his weary eyes. He sucked in a cautious sniffle, and combed back his unruly hair with his fingers. You’re okay…. You’re still okay.

Wiping away stray tears from his cheeks with his thumb, he took another slow breath, and prepared to stand. For a moment, he stood in front of the bathroom mirror. Despite (and perhaps thankfully) not being able to see himself for the most part, he gave his general reflection a tired once-over, and reached for the doorknob.

As he peeked into the dark hallway, he heard someone in the kitchen. Oh, no. Perhaps he had woken up Eddie. Anyway- he did want to grab some kind of pain reliever, Advil maybe, or Tylenol, whatever he could take so he could go back to sleep.

But that wasn’t Eddie’s baseball cap under the warm kitchen light. No. Oh, no…

“Steve, son, that you?” Wayne’s deep, gravelly voice called him out, like a searchlight in the dark. 

Steve paused a little, stopping at the edge of the inner kitchen counter. Wayne’s icy grey-blue eyes stared at him in the dim light. The man was sitting at the small table by the kitchen, holding a folded newspaper in his hands. A tight swallow made its way down Steve’s tender throat, and he blinked a couple of times, trying to straighten his droopy posture.

“Uh-” he coughed a little, wincing and cringing at the sound of his voice, which was thick and hoarse. “Yeah. Hi,” he responded, unable to make much more of his voice than a whisper.

It was awkward enough, but it maybe happened once or twice - that Steve had gotten up to get a glass of water in the middle of the night and there was Wayne, quietly sitting in the dark, with a piercing solemn gaze. The way he called him ‘son’ added a bit of comfort, making Steve feel less tense as he stepped into the kitchen to get himself a glass.

“You don’t sound so good,” Wayne grumbled into his newspaper.

Steve, facing away as he reached into the cabinet, sighed a little, and sniffled. He didn’t want to burden him as well, so he just cleared his throat a little, turning to grab the water pitcher. “‘s just… *ahk-hrm, snf!* ‘s just a cold,” he mustered as best he could. 

Catching him by surprise, his throat tickled, making him cough hard and suddenly. He turned away and lifted his arm as the coughing continued, trying and failing to smother them. 

God, he thought, as the fit tapered off. Steve leaned on the counter, feeling another mini wave of dizziness.

“Sit down,” Wayne huffed, rising from his seat.

“Oh, you dod’t deed to- I was just-”

“Sit down, I’ll make you a cup of tea.” Wayne patted Steve on the shoulder with the folded newspaper in his hand. “It’ll help your throat.”

Steve swallowed nervously. But he quietly obliged, first finding his little canister of Advil on the counter and bringing it with him to the table where he sat down.

“You forget to drink this one?”

Steve glanced up, still slightly dazed. He glanced over to where Wayne was pointing at a mug with a tea bag in it, near Steve’s books on the counter. Steve pressed down on the lid of the canister and twisted it open.

“Yeah, ub… *snrff* Eddie bade it.”

“Really?” was all Wayne said in response. There was a brief silence that followed, except for the sound of water bubbling in the kettle. Steve downed two pills with a single swig of water.

As he waited, he ran his fingers over a few scratches on the table. The mug that Eddie had chosen earlier was actually one of his favourites - it was a glass mug with a picture of Garfield on one side, paddling in a canoe. The thought bubble above his head read: “I’m easy to get along with… when things go my way.”

The one that Wayne placed in front of him had a fancily curved handle, and a picture of Snoopy lying on top of his doghouse, with Woodstock sleeping in a nest on top of Snoopy. Steve reached forward to touch the handle of the mug, which was warmed by the heat of its centre. His eyes noticed the way that the printed design was slightly faded, and a glance into the steaming, transparent-yellow liquid showed grey scratches on the inside from teaspoons, as if the mug had been loved and used for a long time.

“Thagk you,” Steve said, lifting his wide, brown eyes toward Wayne.

“You’re welcome,” Wayne breathed, and snapped the newspaper in front of him, leaning on the kitchen counter. 

Steve understood. It was probably better that way, too - if he sat across from him, he’d probably more than likely catch his cold, if the exposure wasn’t enough.

After a bit, Steve took a shy sip - and his tongue was still scalded. He drew back and coughed, triggering another fit of chesty coughs.

“Easy, there,” Wayne said gently. 

Steve clutched his chest a little, as the coughing eventually subsided. Then- “huht’zZJSCHHh!!” Yuck. At least it was cast away from the general direction that Wayne was standing in - Steve managed to raise his elbow, half-catching a sudden, spraying sneeze. 

“Gesundheit.”

And of course, his sore sinuses couldn’t have mercy on him… “huht’zZZSCHHhh!! hihh- uH’TDJSCHHh!!-ieww…” 

He sniffled liquidly, and turned his head, remembering the pile of bandanas Eddie had left on the counter. In a poorly-calculated motion, Steve rose to retrieve one of them. As he stood quickly, his sinuses stung, and he paused in his tracks, instinctively yanking the collar of his shirt over his nose and mouth.

“huh’aH’TSCHHIEWW!! hih! -huh’TDJSCHH!!”

“Hey, hey, easy,” Wayne said cautiously, the paper rustling as it lowered. He seemed to figure out why Steve had gotten up, and simply reached over to hand him one of the cloths.

Steve blinked through teary eyes, peeking over the hem of his shirt. He felt his ears grow pink as he took the cloth with his free hand, and sat back down slowly. Luckily, Wayne had gone back to reading the paper at the counter. Steve let out a breathy sigh, lowering his shirt collar and swiping at his nose with the cool, soft cloth. He still felt slightly shy about blowing his nose, so he wiped his face as best as he could, and sniffled softly.

“Excuse be,” he whispered, still coughing a bit.

There was a quiet beat, as Steve carefully lowered the cloth. He sighed again and wiped gently at his teary eyes, then reached forward again to touch the Snoopy mug.

“Is it always five?” Wayne had muttered something aloud, from by the counter. Steve glanced up, swallowing a tiny sip of the hot tea. Wayne’s eyes were still down on the newspaper.

“...Pardod?” Steve croaked.

“Five times. When you sneeze.”

Oh. Steve wanted to chuckle nervously, but instead, came a wheezy, exhaled shell of a laugh. He’d probably been heard earlier in the bathroom - he wasn’t too capable of being quiet, that was for sure. He sniffled thickly and glanced down, feeling self-conscious “I, I dod’t kdow…” he mumbled, raising a curled index finger to rub under his itchy nose. 

“Only when he’s sick,” another voice came from the hall. Steve glanced back slightly. He felt someone gently muss up his hair, and looked up to see Eddie, his shaggy, dark mane wild and his eyes full of sleep.

“I was just godda cobe joid you,” he muttered softly, stopping short as Eddie stooped to kiss him on the forehead.

“Party at five AM?” Eddie yawned casually, stretching his arms up. “Why didn’t you invite me?” He cast Steve a gentle grin as he slid into the chair across from him.

Steve’s shoulders loosened with a soft sigh, rolling his eyes a little. Eddie grabbed a bottle of Pepsi from the end of the table that was half full, and cracked it open.

“Good luck sleeping after drinking that,” Wayne quipped in a low, raspy voice, his eyes not lifting from his newspaper. 

Eddie had already taken a long sip. He lowered the bottle and raised a fist to his mouth. “Thanks,” Eddie responded cooly. His gaze had connected with Steve’s, harbouring an unpredictable, amused sort of look. “I’ll probably need it, too.”

“Be nice,” Wayne said firmly, lifting his gaze to give Eddie an icy look. Steve pressed his lips together against a sudden urge to smile.

“Teasing. Sorry. I love you,” Eddie said sweetly, reaching out to touch Steve’s arm.

Steve grinned at Eddie from behind the mug. He took another sip of the tea, and lowered one of his hands to hold Eddie’s. He gave it a short, tight squeeze.

“Is it helping?” Eddie asked, his voice a bit softer.

“Yeah,” Steve breathed, and set the mug down on the table. He raised the folded bandana to swipe under his runny nose, and sniffled. “‘b sorry,” he whispered, after a bit.

“What? Hey,” Eddie took Steve’s hand in both of his. “You have nothing to apologize for. Okay?” Steve stared at the way Eddie’s silver rings twinkled under the lamp light. “Remember what I said. You don’t have to go through this alone. In fact, we won’t let you.”

Well, maybe that bit was true. Seeing as privacy wasn’t always easy to get around here, but maybe there was an upside to that. Steve’s eyes shifted from Eddie’s fingers, up to his dark eyes.

“You find him the newer tea, Ed?” Wayne asked.

Eddie’s demeanour flickered. “Yeah, I’m not-” His eyes shifted, feigning hurt, over to his uncle. “You think I’m about to give him tea that isn’t-”

Casually teasing, cutting him off- “Just saying, boy, he never drank it.”

“Who do you think made him lie down?”

A faint, uncontrollable grin remained on Steve’s face, listening to the two of them bicker. He wasn’t too used to this type of, almost, informality between him and his own parents, that Eddie had with his uncle, and just being involved made his insides feel warm.

“Look, maybe I’m not as fancy as you-”

“Alright, son.”

“I even gave him honey.”

“Okay.”

“You like honey, right, hon?” Eddie glanced over at Steve.

He paused and let out a croaky chuckle - triggering a heavy cough. He raised the crook of his arm, still grinning, still coughing.

“Now look what you did,” Eddie said flatly, turning to his uncle.

“Alright, alright,” Wayne started to roll up his newspaper, and gave Eddie a little bonk on the head with it. “If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to turn in. You take care of each other."

"Always," Eddie replied smoothly.

Steve had stopped coughing by then, and was trying to stop laughing, as it would only trigger more coughs. He cleared his throat sharply, and sniffed. “Thagk you agaid,” he called after Wayne.

“You’re welcome. Take it easy,” Wayne ordered from the hall, before disappearing behind one of the doors.

A beat. Then, softly, “Yes sir.”

“Niiight,” Eddie said sweetly.

“Night, Ed.”

A calm silence hung over the kitchen, as the two remained at the table. Steve ran his thumb over the handle of the mug, and raised it to take another sip. Eddie’s fingers still gently held Steve’s other hand, his thumbs subconsciously stroking over the ridges of his knuckles. Steve took the last sip of his tea, and put the mug aside.

“Feeling any different?” Eddie asked after a while, his gaze softly moving to connect with Steve’s.

“Uh…” Steve sniffled, feeling his nose start to drip again. His eyes drifted downward, towards their hands on the table.

“No?” Eddie guessed, with a tiny sympathetic grin.

The corners of Steve’s lips tugged upward a little, as he sniffled again, and raised the cloth to wipe his runny nose. He exhaled and shook his head, faintly.

“Worse, but better,” he croaked, with a confused sort of smile. Fortunately, Eddie seemed to understand.

“Come on,” Eddie took away one of his hands to pick up Steve’s mug, and rose to his feet. “Let’s get you back into bed.”

Fin.

Edited by Skylacticon
  • Skylacticon changed the title to All-nighter (Stranger Things, Steve) 3/3