Sneeze Fetish Forum

Would you read fandom-blind?

just-a-harmless-snz

Hello! I'm currently working on a sneezefic (fanfiction) because I have put my original work on hiatus for a bit. I haven't seen any sneezefics from that particular fandom on here so I was wondering how many people would be prepared to read fandom-blind (of course if the fic actually makes sense to someone who has not been introduced to the fandom).

I often do! I've even found some new fandoms to enjoy that way.  I know there are a good few others who also read regardless of fandom.

Of course, something like a show with "regular people" characters in a modern day setting is usually easier to jump into than something set on a fantasy world completely invented for the story, but the latter can work if you give the readers enough details to understand the world in which the story operates.

Of course I always say write it and put it out there - you never know who could be lurking around just wishing there was sneeze content for that particular fandom!

What's the fandom, by the way? You've got me all curious now!

I agree with SleepingPhlox. I’ve discovered some great fandoms that way.

Tagging your story correctly and putting the fandom name and a good choice of story title in the heading of the post will encourage people to take a chance and click on your post.

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get many views or comments right away. The nature of the forum means people might only get a few moments here and there to come and read, and may not get to check the forum every day.

I'm always willing to read fics even if I'm not familiar with the fandom! I can always look up the characters or general information about the series if I want to understand the setting a little better, but I also am able to enjoy the story without knowing any of that stuff.

I have in the past.  In fact Supernatural is now my favourite TV programme and I wrote fic for it for about five years, and I only got into it because of the forum.  These days I tend not to read fandom-blind but only because I read less sneezefic in general (I have young children so there’s not a lot of free time).  

I remember a post from aaaaaages ago from @Mr. Black Cherry Berry Tea (Hope you don’t mind my calling you out dude - it was great advice) talking about how he didn’t see what he was into on the forum so he just started writing it and then lots of other stories sprang up).  That really stuck with me and ultimately played a part in me taking a chance and writing for a fandom that hasn’t been represented on here in recent history.  In my case, I can’t say that it’s led to other fics in the fandom, but I have had a great time writing and I’ve met some great people and had some lovely comments from people who took a chance on reading my stories fandom-blind.  Ultimately, there might be other people looking at the forum now, thinking of your fandom and deciding not to write because there are no other fics here.  If you post, maybe you’ll start a whole community.  And if you don’t then either a) you won’t care because you’ll be enjoying writing regardless, so that’s a win, or b) you will care and then maybe you’ll stop posting… but have you really lost anything in that situation?  At least you’ll have tried.  And maybe like-minded people will discover your fics way in the future.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:09 PM, SleepingPhlox said:

I often do! I've even found some new fandoms to enjoy that way.  I know there are a good few others who also read regardless of fandom.

Of course, something like a show with "regular people" characters in a modern day setting is usually easier to jump into than something set on a fantasy world completely invented for the story, but the latter can work if you give the readers enough details to understand the world in which the story operates.

Of course I always say write it and put it out there - you never know who could be lurking around just wishing there was sneeze content for that particular fandom!

What's the fandom, by the way? You've got me all curious now!

Thank you! This fandom is Death in Paradise (a crime/murder mystery series), it's surprisingly small from what I've noticed. I really like the female lead character so I just have to write about her!

On 7/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, solitaire-au said:

I agree with SleepingPhlox. I’ve discovered some great fandoms that way.

Tagging your story correctly and putting the fandom name and a good choice of story title in the heading of the post will encourage people to take a chance and click on your post.

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get many views or comments right away. The nature of the forum means people might only get a few moments here and there to come and read, and may not get to check the forum every day.

Thank you for the advice! Oh yes, I certainly don't get as much time to explore this forum as I'd like...

On 7/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, Melody said:

i personally dont read fandom i dont know! 

I've tried to read more fandom recently but in terms of sneezefics, the fandoms I'm in are very niche

On 7/20/2023 at 9:22 PM, guy that does things said:

sure, i will if i hear positive things about them from anywhere

That's valid, thank you!

On 7/20/2023 at 10:00 PM, RosyLights said:

I'm always willing to read fics even if I'm not familiar with the fandom! I can always look up the characters or general information about the series if I want to understand the setting a little better, but I also am able to enjoy the story without knowing any of that stuff.

That is good to know, thank you! I think I might try this in the future...

On 7/20/2023 at 10:54 PM, SexualOddity said:

I have in the past.  In fact Supernatural is now my favourite TV programme and I wrote fic for it for about five years, and I only got into it because of the forum.  These days I tend not to read fandom-blind but only because I read less sneezefic in general (I have young children so there’s not a lot of free time).  

I remember a post from aaaaaages ago from @Mr. Black Cherry Berry Tea (Hope you don’t mind my calling you out dude - it was great advice) talking about how he didn’t see what he was into on the forum so he just started writing it and then lots of other stories sprang up).  That really stuck with me and ultimately played a part in me taking a chance and writing for a fandom that hasn’t been represented on here in recent history.  In my case, I can’t say that it’s led to other fics in the fandom, but I have had a great time writing and I’ve met some great people and had some lovely comments from people who took a chance on reading my stories fandom-blind.  Ultimately, there might be other people looking at the forum now, thinking of your fandom and deciding not to write because there are no other fics here.  If you post, maybe you’ll start a whole community.  And if you don’t then either a) you won’t care because you’ll be enjoying writing regardless, so that’s a win, or b) you will care and then maybe you’ll stop posting… but have you really lost anything in that situation?  At least you’ll have tried.  And maybe like-minded people will discover your fics way in the future.

Thank you so much! I do enjoy writing these fics and like the idea of sparking the interest of other people by putting them out there! I might also write some sneezefic for the septimus heap fandom (there are absolutely no septimus heap fics on here but I do know that some users are aware of the fandom's existence)

39 minutes ago, just-a-harmless-snz said:

Thank you! This fandom is Death in Paradise (a crime/murder mystery series), it's surprisingly small from what I've noticed. I really like the female lead character so I just have to write about her!

I'd never heard of it but I just looked it up real quick out of curiosity and I gotta say I would totally read this if you wrote it.  So, hey, you've got one reader on board already!

Boy do I know the curse of the small fandom, though. Its a tough ol' life. :laugh:

13 hours ago, SleepingPhlox said:

I'd never heard of it but I just looked it up real quick out of curiosity and I gotta say I would totally read this if you wrote it.  So, hey, you've got one reader on board already!

Boy do I know the curse of the small fandom, though. Its a tough ol' life. :laugh:

That's wonderful to hear! I'm currently writing it. :D

I am cursed all over, I always find myself in the smallest fandoms possible XD

On 7/22/2023 at 10:41 PM, just-a-harmless-snz said:

Thank you so much! I do enjoy writing these fics and like the idea of sparking the interest of other people by putting them out there! I might also write some sneezefic for the septimus heap fandom (there are absolutely no septimus heap fics on here but I do know that some users are aware of the fandom's existence)

Good luck! I hope you have fun with it :)

On 7/26/2023 at 7:25 AM, SexualOddity said:

Good luck! I hope you have fun with it :)

Thank you!!

On 7/22/2023 at 10:27 PM, just-a-harmless-snz said:

I love Death in Paradise, so I'd definitely read it! 

Yes, I definitely do. I don't know many fandoms and the ones I like and know well are either old as fuck or obscure as fuck (or both :lol: ), so I'm very open to reading fandom-blind. There are so many talented writers writing in fandoms I don't know and I want to be open to discover them and their writing.

There are fandoms I exclusively know in sneezefic, and there are fandoms I got acquainted with after giving them a go here.

I like to have a bit of an introduction at the beginning of the fic if it features canon events which you just have to know in order to get the plot or to understand the character's motives.

SleepingPhlox already summed up perfectly what is important to keep in mind when a fic wants to invite readers in who don't have any knowledge about it. 

Edited by Selene
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 3:10 PM, Selene said:

Yes, I definitely do. I don't know many fandoms and the ones I like and know well are either old as fuck or obscure as fuck (or both :lol: ), so I'm very open to reading fandom-blind. There are so many talented writers writing in fandoms I don't know and I want to be open to discover them and their writing.

There are fandoms I exclusively know in sneezefic, and there are fandoms I got acquainted with after giving them a go here.

I like to have a bit of an introduction at the beginning of the fic if it features canon events which you just have to know in order to get the plot or to understand the character's motives.

SleepingPhlox already summed up perfectly what is important to keep in mind when a fic wants to invite readers in who don't have any knowledge about it. 

Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement!! I will definetely explain canon events as I go along!

I can but there still some universe that I just don't really like in general so sometimes I skip

I actually prefer fandoms I don't know.. something about reading a sneezefic about characters that I know makes me uncomfortable. Like the sneeze fetish and the rest of my life should stay separate, and fanfics about them make me feel like i'm pushing the fetish onto the characters or their actors when it doesn't belong there. Makes me feel icky. When I read fanfics about fandoms I know, i try really hard to dissociate them from canon, but often get tired of that and just switch to my safe space (fandoms I don't know)