Sneeze Fetish Forum

It Takes Two

clementine

Hi everyone!! This is my first story here, and I am so excited to get to share with you all! I have been a browser here for some time now, but have decided it’s finally time to break out of my shell a bit and share something of my own! I would love feedback or constructive criticism on any improvements or changes to my work, and hope to only get better. Without further ado, let’s introduce our main characters: 

Will Lucas - an ex-college athlete; confident, charming, and the slightest bit cocky. His natural charisma is more than intriguing, and has gotten him far through various internships, interviews, and promotions. He’s all but shy, but having a new girl work on his case might have him second guessing. 

Lilly Evans - ambitious, creative, and determined are the three best words to describe Lilly Evans. Growing up in a small town, her entire work has been towards building up a name for herself and breaking out of the bounds of her old life. When offered the opportunity to work alongside another employee on a new case, she’s all but eager to take this as a chance to prove herself in the company. 

— — — 

It Takes Two

Part 1 

As a child, Lilly knew two things. For one, if you wanted to gain something in life you needed to work for it. Secondly, that if she had wanted to make it out of the rolling hills and grassy plains of Oklahoma she had to work for it. That’s why growing up, she was top in her classes at Lakeside area high school.

She had spent late nights in her room by the dim light of her desk lamp pouring over her assignments, tucked away while the rest of her classmates traded their homework for red solo cups. She wasn’t the one invited to basement parties or late night bonfires in the summer. She wasn’t the one speeding home through the backroads hoping to make it in by curfew every Saturday night. She wasn’t the girl elected for homecoming court in early October; hell, she didn’t even go to homecoming at all. She did, however, earn a decent scholarship to college. Between her ambitions to leave home and her determination to become something more than a small town girl from the South, she worked tirelessly to earn a position that amounted to more than herself. 

That’s why on Friday afternoon, standing in front of her manager’s desk with hopeful anticipation, she eagerly accepted taking on a field case for the agency. 

Friday’s were Lilly’s favorite day of the week. The comfort of the weekend was just around the corner, and the world always seemed a little brighter on those mornings. Warm autumn sunlight filtered in her window with a soft glow, and the warmth of the gentle rays against her cheek prompted her to wake up before her alarm even sounded. Lilly allowed herself to stay in the comforting cocoon of duvet and pillows a few moments longer, taking a brief moment to enjoy the sweet song of birds chirping eagerly outside of her window as if to share in her love of Friday mornings along with her.

She eventually pushed the covers away, heading to her small apartment bathroom to freshen up for her day ahead of her. The place isn’t much, but it belongs to her and is a trophy of her restless work since she moved away from home. It was plenty.

Lilly wore her favorite pink earrings in honor of it being Friday. They were a gift from her sister two Christmas’ ago, and always reminded her of happy memories from back then. Sure she loved spending time with her family, but replacing grazing cattle and chicken coops with the bold city skyline and buzzing traffic filled a missing part of her heart she hasn’t even known was empty all those years. 

Grabbing her jacket and her steaming cup of coffee, she made her way into the crisp morning air to whatever work held for her that day. 

— 

Will Lucas, to many, seemed like your average hot-shot cookie cutter kinda guy. He had average grades in school but was more importantly captain of the football team his senior year, a title he wore proudly on his chest like a shiny gold badge. He threw the best house parties on the weekends, and every girl at his high school knew his name. His natural charm was magnetic, and his looks sure didn’t hurt. All in all, Will Lucas had it all.  

Will’s parents had held him to high expectations growing up. As a doctor and lawyer themselves, his parents had expected for him to go far in his career. Will had practically wasted his first two years of college, spending his weeknights in and out of bars and parties drinking, and his weekends drinking even more. School had become one big social event, and attending classes had become a chore. He wasn’t proud of that point in his life, but Will couldn’t help but envy that carefree side of himself every once in a while. 

It wasn’t until Will had lost his father in the summer before his junior year that he decided to get serious. He had focused more on his assignments and did his best to pay attention in classes. Sure he still went out on the weekends, but he was now considering a future too. A future outside of parties, midterms, and Friday night lights. A future where he would have to grow up and leave the irresponsible and carefree side of himself behind. 

Since losing his father, Will became more headstrong and stubborn in all matters surrounding his job. He worked through weekends, holidays, and breaks; whenever the company needed him he was there. In the beginning he told himself it was for his dad, and that he would pick up the extra job because that’s what his father would’ve done.

Nowadays the matter is more personal, as if Will was giving up on himself if he backed down when his boss needed him. Behind his mask of confidence and charisma there was a certain level of fear. Fear that he would fail himself, and more importantly his father. Will was the only person left to support his mother, and he refused to back down from any situation. 

That’s why when Will woke up early Friday morning with a pounding head he knew he would push through. 

Will had woken up to the sound of his blaring alarm shrill in his ear. He had tossed and turned, hoping the sound would go away, but it had persisted seemingly louder by the second. He cracked his eyes open softly, the stream of bright sunlight through his window only intensifying the aching pain in his head. Will groaned softly to himself, cursing his poor immune system and apparent bad luck. He only got headaches like this when he was getting sick, and now hardly felt like the appropriate time to come down with something. 

h’ESHH’eww!” 

Clearly his nose felt otherwise. Will leaned back against his pillows with a sniff, savoring the warmth of his blankets around him. His eyelids slowly drifted shut, and he succumbed to the inviting temptation of sleep, drawing him in like the calm tide of the ocean after a storm.

He awoke in a panic some time later to the sound of his phone ringing, mind foggy and ridden with sleep. He fumbled with the buttons as he cleared his throat gently.

“Hello?” Will said somewhat softly, trying to sound awake without irritating his throat.

“Good morning, Mr. Lucas. I was hoping you’d be up to my office soon? I have an upcoming matter I’d like to discuss with you,” his manager, Mr. Chase, had said in his usual chipper tone.

Will’s eyes widened in horror as he glanced over to his alarm clock to see the bold numbers 7:35 blare back at him as if they had a personal vendetta against him. He was supposed to have been in the office 20 minutes ago with the file from his last case completed. Shit. 

“I’ll be up there shortly, just have some last minute organizing to do with the previous case,” Will lied hurriedly, feeling a tickle begin to creep up his nose once again. 

Well as long as you’re not too long. I can always ask someone else to take this job if you’re too tied up—“

“No. I’ll—hih—I’ll be there. Just give me like 20 minutes to wrap this u-h-up,” Will spat out, pinching the tip of his nose in anticipation. Give the job to someone else? Over his dead body. 

Alright, Mr. Lucas. I’ll see you in 20 minutes. But please, not a moment later.”

As soon as the line disconnected Will let out a tired sigh, allowing the itch to run its course once more. 

h—huh—h’ITSCH’EWW!”

Will pulled himself from his nest of covers and slowly made his way to the bathroom, wincing a little as his eyes adjusted to the light. He grabbed a wad of toilet paper and blew his nose, finally feeling a small sense of relief that morning. Looking at himself in the mirror he cringed a little, frowning at the dark circles under his eyes and the slight lack of color in his normal sun-kissed complexion. He ran a hand through his sandy hair, trying to make the mess of bed head somewhat more presentable. 

He quickly changed, too hazy to find a matching pair of socks, and scrambled to make his way out the door. That was the trouble with working for one of the country’s top private investigation units; you always had to be ready.

An average work day could be anything from digging up information for a new case to finding yourself posing as someone else to get the inside scoop. Regardless, this was demanding work, and not even Will Lucas could afford to miss even a moment of it.

Will swerved into the parking lot, not even bothering to check if he was in between the lines. He rushed out quickly, feeling slightly dizzy from all the movement. Looking a little more than slightly disheveled, Will sprinted into the building, chest pounding as he fought to take a steady breath. He had exactly a minute and thirty seconds to make it to Mr. Chase’s office and he couldn’t be late. His reputation was on the line, and he couldn’t afford to appear incapable when he just received a promotion not too long ago. 

“Ah, Mr. Lucas, very good to see you. Please, have a seat.” 

Will must have looked a little to eager to sit down, as Mr. Chase gave him a curious once over from behind his desk.  

“So, I’d like to discuss a new case I received last evening. There’s been threats circulating the town of Greenwood, and their safety is compromised. People have been reported to have gone missing, and it’s no telling when the crime will end. There’s going to be a town festival next week where a lot of citizens could be at potential risk and I need you to try and get to the bottom of this,” Mr. Chase told the young man. 

“Greenwood? Isn’t that town near the countryside?” Will asked, eager to have his own case. If he were alone than he would have plenty of space and time to sort out his illness without anyone being the wiser.

”Yes, it’s a bit of a drive away. That’s why I’ve found a partner to go along with you.”

Will’s heart sank. Partner? He was a solo act. A lone wolf. He didn’t need a partner to interfere with his tactics. 

“Sir, with all do respect, I have always worked alone. A partner will just slow me down—“

”Mr. Lucas, this is a very serious matter and we don’t have much time to find an answer. I have selected you someone who I feel is very fit for the position. If you don’t want the job, I can always offer it to—“

”No. I’ll take it,” Will said in an instant. He was more than capable of this job and he’d be damned if someone got it instead of him. “When will I meet said partner?” Will had spit out the last word as if it had tasted bad. 

“I have them waiting outside. Feel free to introduce yourself,” Mr. Chase said unbothered, turning his attention back toward his computer screen. 

Introduce himself? Who didn’t he know in the office. More importantly, who hadn’t known him?

As he headed into the hallway, his nose chose that moment to betray him. 

huh’ESHH’EW!” 

The aftermath had him feeling even more congested, the steady pounding in his head intensifying ever so slightly. 

“Bless you,” a voice said from beside him. Will looked up, startled at the sudden addition of company. 

“Thanks,” he said with a sniff, cheeks tinged pink with embarrassment. He looked at the owner of the voice. A younger woman with medium length golden hair and sparkling blue eyes that were full of depth like the ocean on an overcast afternoon. Her cheeks and nose were dusted with light freckles and she had the slightest smirk across her lips. 

“Nobody told me I’d be working alongside Patient Zero,” she said, slightly amused. 

Will looked at her in shock. That was his partner for the case, some brand new intern that was picked off the street? It took him all of a few seconds to regain his composure, putting on a smooth expression. 

“It’s my allergies. And most people call me Will, but that kind of has a fun ring to it. Speaking of, no one mentioned that I’d be working with an intern.” 

It was the girl’s turn to look shocked. She looked slightly angered, and Will briefly wondered if maybe he said something too much. 

“Intern? I’ll have you know I’ve worked for this company for four years now,” she said, her blue eyes turning stormy. 

“Well, clearly you’re new to this side of the office. I’ve never seen you in my life, and I personally pride myself on knowing my fellow coworkers.” 

“Okay, well since you ‘pride yourself’ on knowing your coworkers, I suppose you’d like to know my name. Lilly Evans.” She said matter-of-factly. 

“Well Lilly Evans, as nice as it has been to get to know you, I’m not too keen on sharing my position on this case.” 

“Well that makes two of us,” she said with a huff. She couldn’t believe this. Getting assigned to this case was supposed to be a door opening to knew opportunities for her, not running into a giant arrogant wall. 

“Well I’m glad we agree on something,” Will said with a slight bite laced in his words. This entire situation was adding even more to his growing headache. That and the annoying tickle had returned to his nose. 

“We-hih—can leave at huh—8 am— excuse me—h’ESHH’eww! h—huh’ITSCH’EW!” 

“7 am tomorrow you said? Perfect!” Lilly said with a coy smile, “and bless you by the way,” she said handing him a folded up tissue from her bag. Will reluctantly accepted, swiping at his irritated nose. 

“See you bright and early tomorrow, Patient Zero!” She called back as she left through the back stairway. 

“It’s allergies.” Will mumbled under his breath with a pathetic sniff. He hadn’t even had the mental clarity to argue back with the girl. He sighed, this was going to be a long case. 

—————————

and that’s a wrap on part 1! Feel free to let me know how you liked it! :)

Your writing is fantastic, my goodness you can paint a picture with words! And I love your characters.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so good. I love how prickly Will is being and that Lilly doesn't let him get away with it. Excited to see what happens next.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment. 🙏

It was a nice touch how Lilly and Will were both getting defensive, but she still blessed him and gave him a tissue and he still accepted and appreciated it, even if it was reluctantly. I hope she isn't too hard on him!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...