Sneeze Fetish Forum

not much doubt about this one

launderedlace

These two vintage handkerchiefs have just been added to the Laundered Lace collection: it's pretty clear how old one of them is from its '1906' embroidery!

Will give them a freshen up and then post an update

I'm pretty sure it isn't the oldest (although it's the only one with an actual date on it) - some of my sadly disintegrating lace handkerchiefs are probably older. What's even more amazing about those are the historical, hand-stitched, repairs they've been given by previous owners, who obviously cherished them. This 1906 one appears to be surprisingly robust and has already survived a wash and a breezy flutter on the clothes line. Once it's been ironed (and again been photographed for SFF sharing) it'll be properly put to work!

On 9/25/2023 at 9:55 AM, launderedlace said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't the oldest (although it's the only one with an actual date on it) - some of my sadly disintegrating lace handkerchiefs are probably older. What's even more amazing about those are the historical, hand-stitched, repairs they've been given by previous owners, who obviously cherished them. This 1906 one appears to be surprisingly robust and has already survived a wash and a breezy flutter on the clothes line. Once it's been ironed (and again been photographed for SFF sharing) it'll be properly put to work!

Here's an example: this huge (nearly 0.5m x 0.5m) and ancient handkerchief was probably originally decorated just by its multiple borders and scalloped edging; maybe the initals, which are possibly 'FL', were added soon after that. Continual use and laundering over the years took their toll, but all the repairs seem to suggest that the owner (possibly successive owners) loved this handkerchief so much that further time and effort was dedicated to extending its useful life. No throwaway culture spelling the end for this one and, no, it's not yet too delicate to use!

On 9/27/2023 at 1:29 PM, Hankysneeze said:

Great pictures as always.

Thank you - although I think it's really the vintage handkerchiefs themselves, or the people who crafted them / were the original owners, that deserve the credit. Here's another beauty, complete with its own historical repair that, I think, just adds to its character. Plenty of plain, business-like, material in the centre all the same - this wasn't, and isn't, just for show!