Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Royal Cold

Likesn

Fair warning: I'm not really sure how much I'm willing to invest in this story. This is basically an idea I had a few days ago that I want to try out. I have some exposition, characters and potential plot points, but the whole thing isn't really put together at the moment. Still, I thought I'd start this up and see how it goes.

Part 1:

Peace is a fragile thing. Even when technology can help you overcome most of your problems, keeping people from fighting each other can be complicated. Various solutions have been tried in many places over the years. Sadly, most of them have been unsuccessful. After many years of trial and error, one planet came up with a creative solution. The planet of Virelica had a very advanced civilization when it came to technology. Its people managed to cure all physical illnesses known to them and they found new ways to replenish their natural resources, keeping their planet prosperous. However, they were still human. Everything they worked so hard to achieve was at risk due to the human tendency to fight over power, status and so on. They needed order in their society, one respected by all. Politicians didn't help at all and military people only suggested solutions that would make things much worse. In the end, it was scientists who came up with a stable solution. Much to everyone's surprise, the key component of that solution was an ancient virus, long extinct, called "the common cold". Reviving that virus wasn't simple, but the really amazing part was what the scientists did next. Using every advanced technology in their vast arsenal, they loaded the entire history of their people into the virus they created. Not only that, they made the virus able to use that history to create prediction models. Based on those models, the virus was able to find the people best fit to rule, with an almost uncanny precision. There was nothing miraculous about it though, it was science at its purest form.

At first, people laughed. It seemed ridiculous that a virus could find and infect only the people best fit to rule. But then came the experiments and their results left no room for doubt. Every single community that the virus has been inserted to soon became peaceful and happy, free of violence and strife. Next, a planet-wide referendum had outstanding results: About 98 percent of the population agreed that the virus should be implemented across the planet and they vowed to honor and obey the leaders chosen by it. That willingness to comply was even more impressive given a fact that the scientists haven't foreseen: All leaders chosen by the virus, without exception, were women. Virelica has had experience with matriarchal societies before and that made the transition easier. Eventually, the entire planet was ruled by women chosen by the virus. The virus remained dormant at childhood, manifesting itself only at the early 20's. From then on, women fit to rule would eventually catch colds, which singled them out of the general population. Wars soon became history no one had any desire to revisit, so there were no more armies to command. Politics was much more relaxed and well-mannered as well. Ruling still required skills and effort, but not as much as it did before. All in all, it was a much happier life for everyone, even for those women who had to deal with colds. Considering its new status, that virus was no longer known as "the common cold", but rather as "the royal cold" or "the royal burden".

Catching colds was not the only responsibility of the new ruling class. There was ruling, obviously, but they also had to adjust to the changes their society went through. A brand new culture emerged, sweeping the whole planet, with new rituals and even new terms, all revolving around the ruling class, the virus and the connection between the two. For example, since the need to blow one's nose was new, handkerchiefs and tissues had to be reintroduced. Handkerchiefs actually became a symbol of the ruling class, with "royal houses" having distinctly designed handkerchiefs. It should be noted that royalty wasn't being passed down family generations automatically. Even a woman who had royal relatives, a mother, a sister, and aunt, still had to catch a cold in order to be deemed worthy of ruling. It didn't always happen though. Some women that came from "royal houses" never caught a cold. Thus, they had to accept their fate as being just like everyone else. Such was the price they had to pay for the system to work. It was commonly known that a woman who hasn't caught a cold by her mid-late 40's was unlikely to ever catch one. As for the men, they accepted their role as advisors at most. Some of them were granted the honor of assisting royal women in dealing with their colds. "You're not worthy of carrying her handkerchief" was an insult towards a man if you wanted to humiliate him. That being said, men were respected in that society just like all people. Any form of discrimination was not allowed and even though they had different roles the men were happy just like the women, for they all lived a life of peace. Women of the ruling class were revered and their colds were a very popular conversation topic. People were often talking about the latest royal to show symptoms of a cold and the way she dealt with it. Whenever a woman caught a cold for the first time there was excitement all around. What would she become? A duchess? A countess? A princess? Could she even become a queen in the future? Such were the questions that occupied people's minds. However, women who caught their first cold often had questions of their own: "Is this really happening?", "Am I ready for this?", "What's my life gonna be like from now on?" and many more.

Autumn leaves covered the ground, creating a beautiful layer of brown, yellow and red. It would be winter soon, a very exciting season in Virelica. As the temperatures were dropping, the chances of new women joining the ruling class with their first cold were spiking. Marian looked out the window and smiled. Some royal women dreaded that time of year, but she was excited. The thought of welcoming new women to the ruling class warmed her heart, even in such cold times. Her maid, Jasmine, was excited as well. After 25 years without so much as a sniffle, she had faith that this would be her year. She has only been assisting Marian since last spring, so it was not surprising that the princess, who was actually a year younger than her, hasn't caught a cold during that time. Jasmine didn't mind being a maid and she liked Marian, but they both knew that if a cold was to make its way from the princess' nose into the maid's their whole relationship would change. Aspiring young women often chose to serve as maids for royals. Jasmine was confident that she would, one day, be royal as well. Her parents even game her a name with both royal letters (M and N), showing that they shared that confidence in their daughter's destiny. Since the virus was all around, there was no real need to be near sick royals in order to get sick, but it sure didn't hurt one's chances. Jasmine was certain she'd catch a cold at least once by spring. If everything goes according to plan, she'd sneeze her way into the royal class and maybe even have a maid of her own next year.

"Busy schedule today?" Marian asked, turning away from the window.

"Not really" Jasmine replied after checking her tablet. "You have an appointment at 10:30. Tea in the garden. Other than that, your morning is free".

"Good thing I have you around, because that meeting totally slipped my mind" said Marian. "Remind me, who am I having tea with"?

"Let me see..." Jasmine looked at the tablet again. "Oh that's right, Ramona, duchess of Feirox. You two need to discuss some trade issues".

"How very interesting" Marian rolled her eyes.

"Hey, you're the one who told me to treat every meeting like it's the most important one in the history of the plant" said Jasmine.

"And I stand by it" said Marian. "I'm not at the meeting now though, am I"?

Both young women giggled.

"What about the rest of the day?" Marian asked.

"Tentative, especially the evening" Jasmine replied.

"I'm guessing someone is throwing another late autumn party" said Marian. "Some people seem to be enjoying their royal status just a little too much. So, who is it going to be this time"?

"No one, for now, but we can never be too sure this time of year" said Jasmine. "Better not make plans if you don't have to".

"Yes, I suppose you're right. Good thinking" Marian commended her maid.

"Just doing my job" Jasmine smiled.

Having tea with Ramona, duchess of Feirox, turned out to be more interesting than Marian has expected.

"Hu Re PchSha!" the duchess turned her head to the side, but didn't cover her sneeze.

Sitting across the small table from Ramona, Marian had a direct view of the duchess' large nose, which was bright red and streaming. Mucus seemed to be coming out of it by the bucket-load and every two minutes Ramona would be overcome by a harsh sneeze. Even though she was in her early 40's and has been a royal for years, Ramona's body was still very susceptible to colds, as she took the time to tell Marian.

"Excuse be" she pulled out her handkerchief, dark green with black and purple diagonal stripes,  and gave her nose a honking blow. "I cad't believe this *sniffle* We're odly at the edd of autubd add this is by secodd cold already" she groaned. "By dose just wod't give be a rest".

"Such is the burden us royals must bear" Marian said, doing her best to sound sympathetic.

"Perhaps *sniffle* though it seebs to be that sobe of us bear it bore thad others Hoa PchuAsh!" Ramona's sneeze saved Marian the need to react to that statement.

The duchess massaged her nose with her handkerchief. "Rebidd be *sniffle* what were we talkig about"?

"You wanted to address the tax on timber" Marian replied.

"Oh yes of course" Ramona said, giving her nose one last light blow before putting the handkerchief in front of her on the table. "The people of Feirox believe that twedty percedt is buch too high".

"And what, if I might ask, do they think is the right percent?" Marian prepared herself for negotiation.

"Five percedt seebs to be bore thad edough" the duchess replied.

"I believe a round number would be more appropriate. How about ten percent?" Marian suggested.

"Why dod't we beet halfway? Six percedt?" Ramona made her counter-offer.

"That hardly seems halfway from where I'm standing" Marian said, struggling to smile politely and sound casual.

"Very well thed *sniffle* seved percedt *sniffle* but that's as high as I cad go Hu Hu A PchaShoooooooooo!" the duchess' loud sneeze seemed like her way of announcing the deal was officially sealed.

"Seven percent it is then" Marian said, knowing full well that she won't be getting a better deal. "It won't be easy defending that deal in the next assembly though. The six western districts will be meeting later this year, as you know".

"Hui E Pchaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *sniffle* Hopefully I'll be over this dreadful cold by thed" Ramona picked up her handkerchief and gave her nose a few more honking blows. "Although *sniffle* with by luck *sniffle* I'b sure I'll Ho A Pchei Eshaaaaaaaaaaaa! catch a dew ode just id tibe for that beetig".

Marian didn't have to look at Jasmine, who was standing near the garden entrance, to know what her maid was thinking. With any luck, the princess might catch the duchess' cold and give it to Jasmine. If not, maybe Jasmine herself would catch that cold from either the duchess or someone else. There were many possible ways for Jasmine's destiny to manifest, she just needed to be patient.

Edited by Likesn

I really like this story! Very fascinating how only the women fit to rule get sick…I wonder if Jasmine will?

Part 2:

Vast oceans covered about two thirds of Virelica. The landmass was mainly one big continent, as well as some small islands that were mostly uninhabited. Almost all the people lived on the continent, which was divided into 23 districts: 6 in the west, 7 in the south, 5 in the east and 5 in the north. The very center of the continent was a neural ground, not part of any district, and that was where decisions concerning the entire planet were made. Such decisions were rather rare, however. Most politics was done on the district level. There were three main titles of royalty in each district. Duchesses were in charge of representing the general public in the process of decision-making. They had chambers open to the public where people could come and voice their opinions and concerns. It was an important job, letting the people know they were being heard and taken into consideration by the royals. Countesses were somewhat like architects, in charge of designing the outlines of policies on a more general scale. It was up to the princesses to work with both duchesses and countesses and combine their inputs into actual policy. All three titles were equally important, for you needed all of them for the system to work well. Then there were the queens, only a handful across the planet. When the really big decisions needed to be made, the ones concerning several districts or even the whole planet, that's when a queen (or sometimes several queens) had to step in.

"By life is ruided" Ally sat on the edge of her bed with her face in her hands.

"Don't say that" said Edmond, Ally's boyfriend. "It's not true".

"Yes it is!" Ally shouted, regretting it immediately. Her voice cracked and the shout hurt her throat. "Everythig's goig to chadge dow".

"Change can be a good thing" said Edmond. "Some might say that this is the best kind of change one can have".

"But I'b dot ode of those people" said Ally. "I dod't wadt thigs to chadge. This isd't who I ab".

"Apparently it is though" Edmond stood next to Ally and gave her a gentle pat on the shoulder.

It all started the day before. Ally came by Edmond's house feeling very tired and looking paler than usual. She was worried that something might be happening to her. Edmond suggested they'd go to bed early, hoping Ally would feel better after a few hours of sleep. She didn't. The next morning she woke up to a sore throat and a blocked nose. At the age of 22, Ally has officially caught the first cold of her life. Unlike many others, she was not at all happy about it. Ally was a simple girl who liked to live a simple life. She has been dating Edmond, who was four years older than her, for almost two years and she felt safe and comfortable with him. Being a royal was definitely not something she had in mind when she thought about her future.

Ally sniffled, trying to stop both her nose from running and tears of frustration from falling down her face.

"It's OK. I'm right here" Edmond tried to reassure her.

"Dod't you get it? I'b the ode who's dot godda be here sood" Ally's voice started cracking again.

"You make it sound like you're dying" said Edmond.

"Because that's sorta what I feel like right dow" said Ally. "I'b seriously dot goig to be aroudd buch lodger. As sood as word gets out that I have a cold they're goig to take be away frob here, frob you. First the test *sniffle* thed a career. They're goig to have by whole future pladded, dot carig at all what I wadt".

"And what do you want?" Edmond asked.

"I wadt to be here, Edbodd, with you" Ally replied. It was the first time Edmond heard his voice being pronounced with the royal congestion.

"You're young" Edmond sighed.

"Exactly *sniffle* that's by poidt" said Ally. "I'b odly twedty two, I dod't wadt to bove away frob everythig I kdow".

"Ally, you can't run away from who you are" said Edmond. "You have a cold, which means it's your destiny to be a royal".

"Ha Ishoo!" Ally sneezed for the first time in her life. She had other things on her mind though.

"What if I dod't wadt this destidy?" she asked.

"It doesn't look like you have much of a choice" Edmond sat down on the bed next to her. "You're right: They're going to find out about your cold soon. There's no point denying it. You can't hide from the world".

"Ei Shoo! I'b dot ready for this" Ally wiped her nose with the back of her hand "Ugh! Gross" she said.

"Hold on" Edmond said, got up and left the room. He returned a few moments later with a roll of toiled paper from the bathroom.

"Thadks Edbodd" Ally said and blew her nose. It was the first time she ever did it, but somehow it felt natural.

Edmond smiled. "See? You're a natural talent".

Ally punched him on the shoulder, but then let out a sound that was half a laugh and half a whimper.

"I'b goig to sdeeze agaid Ha I Shoo! Bad *sniffle* that was a rough ode" she said.

"Better get used to it" said Edmond.

"Ugh! I feel so tired add icky" Ally sniffled. "I dod't wadt people to see be like this".

"For what it's worth, I think you look really cute right now" Edmond put his arms around Ally's shoulder and pulled her into a hug. "Besides, soon you'll be surrounded by other women who'll be just as snotty as you".

"Ibagide that" Ally said and let out a small cough. "I wish there was a way you could stay with be".

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere" said Edmond. "We'll just have to take things one step at a time. First you'll take the test and then we'll see what's next. I can definitely see you as a princess" he chuckled. "Maybe in the future I could tell people that the girl I used to date is a princess now".

"What do you bead 'used to date'? Did't you just say you're dot goig adywhere? Ha Haei Shoo!" Ally sneezed again.

"Just trying to ease the tension with a bad joke" said Edmond "or should I say - break the ice? Sorry, another bad joke".

"It's dot fuddy" said Ally.

"Sure it is. You like my terrible jokes" Edmond smiled.

"Ha I Shoo!" Ally sneezed into her hands, another decision she regretted instantly. She felt gross.

"I'll take that as 'yes, Edmond, I do like your jokes'. Now come on" Edmond got up from the bed again and this time he helped Ally to her feet. "You need to start getting ready for your royal destiny".

"There's ode last thig I deed to tell you before that" said Ally.

"Let's hear it then" said Edmond.

"I love you Edbodd" Ally said and sniffled.

"And I love you too Ally" said Edmond. "Now that I think about it, if you're going to be a royal I might as well start using your full name".

"Please dod't" said Ally. "I dever liked that dabe".

"But I do, and I'm sure everyone will like it and like you" said Edmond. "I love you, Allyson-May".

Excellent first couple of chapters! Really love the world building and the use of a cold as a status symbol. I’ would love if this continued, and I especially enjoy Edmond and Ally’s dynamic.

Part 3:

Your first step towards our bright future

As Ally stood there, staring at the huge electronic sign, some parts of her desperately wanted to turn around and run like hell. She sighed, forcing herself to keep those parts quiet. It was too late to turn back now, not to mention she was too sick and tired to even think of actually running, with her legs and all.

"Stand up straight! You're a royal"!

That voice inside her head was new. Instead of trying to fight it, Ally decided to embrace its advice. Looking up at the flashing sign again, she took a step towards the massive golden building. Then another step. A couple more followed. Slowly but (almost) surely, she climbed the stairs leading up to the building.

When a woman was chosen by the virus, her first stop was the local RTP (royal training program) center in her district. There, she had to undergo a test in order to determine her future role as a royal. Basically, the test was just sitting in front of a computer and answering a bunch of questions, nothing too physically exhausting. The women taking the test were almost always sick, usually for the first time in their life, so there was no need to make the experience any harder for them. A great deal of thought was put into designing the test. Like the virus itself, the first reaction of the public was somewhat suspicious, but when the system ended up working so well eventually people felt no need to question the test. Once the future royals got their results, which didn't take very long, they were sent to start their training process. A future duchess or countess had to spend a year with a duchess or a countess that has been serving for a few years, following them like a shadow and learning as much as possible about their future roles. During that time, they also had to train with a serving royal of the "opposite", or rather "complementary" role. For example, a future duchess had to spend most of her time with a serving duchess and occasionally spend some time with a serving countess. As for a future princess, her training process lasted two years. The first year was split in two: Six months with a serving duchess and six months with a serving countess (not necessarily in that order). When that year was done, she had to spend a whole year training under a serving princess. At the end of the training process, the new royal had a ceremony thrown for her and she would then start serving.

"Bagdificedt, isd't it?" Ally was startled by a voice that wasn't coming from inside her head. She turned around and saw a young woman standing next to her and looking at the RTP center with stars in her eyes.

"I.... guess? Dot sure that's the first word that cobes to by bidd" said Ally.

"Really? What word would you use thed?" the young woman asked.

There was something almost majestic about her, or at least that's what Ally thought. Golden hair, hazel eyes, a tall body with a skin that looked like it spent some time sunbathing on the beach and a nose that was only slightly upturned. That nose was tainted with red, but she still looked beautiful.

"How about 'scary' baybe? I dod't kdow *sniffle* it's just so big" Ally replied.

"That's idterestig" the young woman said. Ally noted to herself that there wasn't any hint of sarcasm in the young woman's voice. She seemed genuinely interested in what Ally had to say, not at all condescending.

"Hei Tshoo!" Ally was snapped out of her thoughts when the young woman suddenly sneezed, uncovered towards the ground, almost bending double from the sheer force of the sneeze.

"Excuse be" she said and sniffled. "I'b still gettig used to doig... you kdow.... that".

"Bless you" Ally told her, but then "Ha Ishoo!" she sneezed as well. "Ugh! *sniffle* I kdow what you bead".

"It really sdeaks up od you sobetibes *sniffle* doesd't it? Sorry *sniffle* I beadt to say - bless you too" said the young woman. "You have a lovely sdeeze by the way Ha I Tshoo, Hei Ishoo! Oh wow! *sniffle* Looks like just talkig about sdeezig bakes by dose itch".

"Thadks, I guess *sniffle* you kdow - for what you said about by sdeeze" said Ally. "Add bless you agaid".

"We'll probably have to stop blessig each at sobe poidt *sniffle*" but thadk you" the young woman laughed. "Oh wait, I did't idtroduce byself. How rude of be. I'b Begad".

"Ally He Ishoo!" Ally sneezed just as she was about to shake hands with Megan.

"Dice to beet you Ally" Megan said and shook her hand.

"By full dabe is Allysod-Bay, actually" said Ally. "Please call be Ally though. I'b still workig od usig by full dabe".

"It's such a beautiful dabe tough" said Megan. "I'll call you whatever you wadt *sniffle* just kdow that 'Allysod-Bay' soudds really good, so very royal. I'b sure your paredts sedsed you'll have a royal future whed they dabed you".

"That's dot very likely" said Ally. "Hodestly, royalty dever really crossed by bidd udtil I cabe dowd with a cold two days ago".

"I cabe dowd with bide three days ago add it's still goig strodg Hi Tshoo! How did your paredts react whed you told theb?" Megan asked.

"They dod't kdow yet" Ally replied. "Edbodd, by boyfriedd, is the odly ode close to be that kdows".

"Really? I told everyode I kdow" said Megan. "It was like havig a secodd birthday. Sidce I'b dot eved twedty ode yet *sniffle* catchig a cold dow fits perfectly with by plad".

"Add what plad is that?" Ally asked.

"I'b goig to be the youdgest queed id the history of Virelica Haat Ishoo!" Megan's announcement was followed by a strong sneeze.

"Hei Ishoo!" Ally sneezed as well.

"See? If we both sdeezed thed it's a sigd that what I said bust be true" said Megan. She laughed a little after she said that, but Ally didn't think she was joking, at least not entirely.

"Dod't you have to be a pridcess first? If you edd up beig a coudtess or a duchess you'll have a hard tibe achievig your goal" said Ally.

"I'b dot worried" said Megan. "This is by destidy *sniffle* I just kdow it".

"That's the word that I keep hearig sidce I caught this cold - 'destidy'. I bust say I adbire your abbitiousdess though" said Ally.

"Dreabig big is the odly way I kdow how, ever sidce I was a little girl" said Megan. "Cad you do be a favor? Will you cobe look for be after you fidish the test? I'd love to talk to you sobe bore. I feel like we cad be friedds".

Normally, Ally would hesitate, but Megan's kindness was honest and infectious

"Sure *sniffle* that soudds dice" said Ally.

"Great" Megan said with a big warm smile. "See you sood thed".

Part 4:

The test itself wasn't very challenging. Even though there were many questions, it was clear that they were all just means to guide a future royal towards her optimal role. However, Ally often lost focus since she constantly had to deal with her nose. The occasional sneezes and continuous dripping were really starting to take their toll on her. Fortunately, when she entered the room and sat down in front of the computer she found a box of soft tissues with lotion placed next to the keyboard. At some point there were no more tissues in the box and then something happened that almost made Ally jump out of her chair. It turned out that the box was placed on a revolving tile in the table. The moment the box was empty, the tile rotated and the empty box disappeared into a hole in the table, only to be replaced moments later with a new one. Ally was so grateful for the tissues, but she felt a little bad that she was halfway through her third box by the time she finished the test. Nevertheless, when she finally answered the last question and left the room (the computer screen seemed to be showing some message congratulating her on finishing the test and wishing her well, but the tickle in her nose was so strong she couldn't read it) she had only one thing in mind.

"Haaa Ishoo!" well, make that two things. First, she had to blow her nose, now having to use the dwindling supply of tissues she brought with her. Second, she anxiously waited for her results. Flashing signs led her into a small waiting room where she sat alone, blowing her nose and waiting. She has been sitting there for less than half an hour, but the minutes felt like years. Finally, a screen opened in the wall in front of her. It was blue and had one word on it. The word was colored bright gold and could be seen clearly on the screen. One word that was the key to Ally's future: Countess.

"Huh. Guess Edmond won't be able to brag about dating a princess once".

It might seem funny, but that was the first things Ally thought when she saw that word on the screen.

Her next thought had a little more urgency added to it.

"Wait, what exactly am I supposed to do now"?

As if to answer her question, the door of the room opened and a soft female voice emerged from speakers in the ceiling:

"Thank you for taking the test. We hope you are pleased with your future role. Please exit the room and go to the consultation hall. An advisor is being assigned to you and will be waiting you by the time you get there. We're looking forward to your service and leadership. Have a pleasant day".

"Ha Ashoo! Ugh! It's really hard to have a pleasadt day whed I sdeeze every tibe I get out of a roob" Ally mumbled.

"*sniffle* I wish I could go hobe dow" she blew her nose with a tissue, missing the soft fabric of the ones she had during the test.

Getting to the consultation hall was relatively easy thanks to the flashing signs. Even though the bright lights sometimes hurt her eyes and even made her head ache a little, Ally was glad that she didn't have to worry about getting lost inside the huge building. On her way to the consultation hall she found herself walking through a garden where a group of girls were talking excitedly. Most of them seemed to be in their early 20's and a lot of them had colds. In the center of the group, Ally noticed Megan. Given Megan's character, Ally was not surprised that she was the center of attention. Remembering her promise, Ally wanted to go and talk to Megan, but she was deterred by the large group of girls surrounding her. They reminded her too much of high-school girls, giggling and forming cliques. It's not like she had a bad time during high-school, she got along just fine, but Ally always preferred having a small group of close friends rather than being in a noisy clique. Most of all, she longed for the company of Edmond, wondering if she'll ever be able to see him again. Even with their red and drippy noses, the girls surrounding Megan seemed so confident and Ally feared she wouldn't fit in. She turned her back to the group and started walking away.

"Sorry girls *sniffle* it's beed fud gettig to kdow you all, but I have to go dow. See you later. Ally! Hey Ally! Wait up!" Megan broke away from the group and dashed after Ally, catching up to her when the group was no longer within earshot.

"You really should't bake a sick girl rud like that" Megan panted when Ally turned to face her.

"I'b Ha Ishoo! sorry" Ally said with a sneeze. "You looked like you were busy add I did't wadt to bother you".

"What bade you thidk you'd be botherig be?" Megan asked. "I said I wadted to beet you after the test add I beadt it. So? How did it go"?

"Coudtess" Ally replied. "I'b goig to be a coudtess".

"That's great! Codgratulatiods! I thidk the role suits you" said Megan. "How do you feel about it"?

"Hodestly *sniffle* I'b dot sure" Ally pulled out a tissue and wiped her nose.

"Well *sniffle* for what it's worth *sniffle* I thidk you'll do great Ha A Tshoo!" sneezed Megan.

"Thadk you. I hope you're right" said Ally. "What about you? Are you goig to be a pridcess like you wadted"?

"Yes I ab" Megan replied. "This is so excitig. Adother big step od by way to Hi Itshoo! becobig a queed".

"Dot just ady queed *sniffle* the youdgest queed ever" Ally said with a warm smile.

"See? Dow you're gettig it" Megan gave Ally a sudden hug. Ally was surprised, but didn't back away. It was nice.

"Oh sorry" Megan said as she broke the embrace. "I albost got by sdot all over you".

"He Ishoo! Sorry!!" Ally said after accidentally sneezing on Megan. "You bead like that"?

They both laughed.

"We should be goig to the codsultatiod hall dow" Ally said when they both finished blowing their noses.

"Yeah, I kdow" said Megan. "Let's walk together *sniffle* it'll be bore fud that way".

Holding arms, the future countess and the future princess made their way towards the consultation hall. Megan was the one who initiated the arms holding, but Ally did not resist. It felt good, natural.

"Ha I Tshoo!" Megan broke the connection and brought both hands to her face when she sneezed. They noticed they had arrived.

"Ally *sniffle* probise be we'll stay id touch" said Megan. "I kdow we're both godda be very busy with the traidig add all *sniffle* but I'b sure we could fidd the tibe to beet every dow add thed".

"Begad *sniffle* it would be by pleasure" said Ally. She meant every word.

Part 5:

"Hae Tshaaaaaaaaaaa"!

The loud sound from the top floor traveled down the spiral staircase, reaching the living room. Three young women looked up.

"Here we go again" Monica sighed. She turned to Naomi and Diane and they all rolled their eyes. Meanwhile, the source of the sneeze came down the staircase as well, sniffling and wiping her nose with the back of her hand.

"Good bordig" said Samantha. Her roommates looked unamused, to say the least.

"Another long night of studying?" Monica asked sarcastically.

"What? *sniffle* Atteddig social evedts is part of our duty as pridcesses" said Samantha.

"Except we're not princesses yet" Naomi stated.

"And partying all night doesn't count as 'attending social events' until we actually start serving" Monica added.

"Hey! Dod't blabe be if you girls rather stay hobe readig books add stuff idstead of hodig your social skills" Samantha wiped her nose with the back of her hand again. "Cad ady of you hadd be a tissue please"?

"Make sure to write it down in your calendar: You're going out to buy more tissues today" said Naomi.

"Better buy lots of them too" Diane said as she handed Samantha a box of tissues. "This box is about half empty".

"Thadks Diade He Tshaaaaaaa!" Samantha sneezed before she had the chance to pull a tissue out of the box.

"Cover your mouth!" Naomi called. "You're going to get us all sick. Again".

"What do you bead 'agaid'? It was Bodica who got us all sick the last tibe" Samantha said before blowing her nose into a tissue.

"Oh yeah? What about the time before that?" Monica asked.

"And the time before that" Naomi added.

"And the time before that" said Diane.

"OK OK I get it" Samantha sniffled. "I bight have gived you girls a cold odce or twice id the past".

"By now, it's more like a dozen times" said Monica.

"You HAVE been sick a lot since we started our training" Diane stated. "Much more than the rest of us".

"That is until you so graciously shared your cold with the rest of us" Naomi huffed. "Every. Single. Time".

"Sobetibes there are sick people at parties Daobi" said Samantha. "You'd kdow that if you ever wedt to ode".

"Don't make this about her, or about any of us" said Monica. "We don't care that you like to go to a lot of parties. It's what you do in those parties that ends up getting you, and ultimately the rest of us, sick".

"I have Ha E Tshuaaa! do idea what you bead" said Samantha.

"You know exactly what she means" said Naomi. "The problem is the girls you kiss in those parties".

"So dow it's dot OK for be to be kissig girls?" Samantha asked and blew her nose again.

"Oh come on!" Monica called. "That's not what she meant and you know it, don't act like you don't. You always kiss a very specific type of girls in those parties and we all know the type".

"The ones that come to the party even though it's clear that they should've stayed home" said Naomi.

"Girls that show up with a red nose, struggling not to spill their drinks as they sniffle and sneeze throughout the evening" said Diane.

"So I have I type *sniffle* it's dot a cribe" Samantha shrugged. "I just thidk they're cute *sniffle* that's all".

"No one is judging you for that" said Monica.

"Yeah, it's totally OK" said Diane. "We get it".

"The problem is you catch those girls' colds and we always end up catching them too" said Naomi.

"When we made this living arrangement, we said we'd help each other get through this period" said Monica.

"Studying to become a princess is hard and it's good to have friends around to help you, especially ones going through the same thing" said Diane.

"But it's really hard to focus on becoming a princess when you keep getting distracted by being sick all the time" said Naomi. "It's been like, what, two weeks since we got over our last cold? I felt like my nose was gonna fall off my face. The skin on it has only recently healed".

"And we'd all very much like to not go through this again so soon" said Monica. "It can be really tiresome".

"Says the ode who Ha E Tshaaa! got us all sick last bodth" said Samantha.

"Hey! I got sneezed on during an official meeting that I HAD to go to" said Monica. "It's nothing like actively CHOOSING to kiss a sick girl. But we've been over this already: I might have been the last one who gut us all sick, but all the other times it was was almost always you".

"Just be clear: We don't mind that you like kissing sick girls" said Diane.

"It's the getting sick ourselves part which we mind. A lot" said Naomi.

"So in conclusion: Please don't get us sick again" said Monica.

"Dod't worry Bodica *sniffle* I probise I'll be careful with by sdee... hee... Hae Tshaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Samantha once again failed to cover her sneeze, despite the promise she was making. Some of the spray went in Naomi's direction and she did her best to move out of the line of fire.

"New tissues. You're buying them. Lots of them. Today" she told Samantha, who was pulling out a handful of tissues from the box.

"Yes Daobi *sniffle* I'b buyig bore dew tissues today" Samantha said before giving her nose a wet blow. 

This is so creative and well written! I love the world building and I hope you continue!

• 4 weeks later...

This story is exciting. I usually don't care for cold sneezes, but the story behind them makes them more appealing. I can't wait to see what comes next.🥰😍😘