Sneeze Fetish Forum

What are your favourite Christmas songs?

kiku

So, everyone, what are your favourite Christmas songs or carols? 🎄 🎶

For me, there are so many…
But I’ll start with the German ones.

My absolute favourite is “Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht” (English title: Silent Night).
I found a version on Youtube which probably is one of the most authentic with its setting in the Alps of Tirol, Austria, and the historical atmosphere. I think it gives us a feeling of how it must have been back then in 1818 when the song was performed for the very first time in a small Austrian chapel, by the composer Franz Xaver Gruber and the author, Joseph Mohr (a young Catholic priest) with only a guitar to accompany their singing.
It’s so amazing that this simple, beautiful song became so famous and is sung all around the world in so many languages now!

I also found this version of a small group singing with a guitar in exactly the chapel in the Austrian village where the song was performed for the first time (in the end they sing it in English too)

Another big favourite of mine is “Maria durch ein Dornwald ging” (English title: Maria Walks Amid The Thorn).
The lyrics were first written down in 1850, but it’s uncertain how old the song actually is. Nobody knows for sure, but I think it’s got a haunting, kind of medieval touch to it, which I have always liked.
I found this version on Youtube performed by Franziska Wiese, a German violinist and singer (I think it’s incredibly beautiful):

A more cheerful song from my childhood is this one, “Lasst uns froh und munter sein” (Translation: “Let’s all be happy and have fun”; I don’t know if there are any versions in other languages…?)
The animation video is cute and kind of nostalgic – it shows kids looking forward to St. Nikolaus Eve, which is on December 6th. (I think St. Nikolaus was probably the model for Santa Claus.)

Oh boy, oh boy, this is the best topic ever!

Okay, first of all Holly Jolly Christmas is THE best Christmas song ever. (The original version, of course.  No offense to Michael Buble, but nothing can ever beat the original.)

Rocking Around The Christmas Tree and Jingle Bell Rock, well...rock!

Can't forget Santa Baby!

Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea is gorgeous

It's a Christmas song in that it mentions Christmas in the lyrics and therefore gets a lot of airtime at this time of the year, so it counts!

I'm probably forgetting a million songs because I love everything to do with Christmas, especially the music, but those are my MUST-must haves!

Holly Jolly Christmas is the best…again, original (Buble, I love ya, but you just don’t have the edge on this one)

Adeste Fideles

And, I actually kinda like All I Want for Christmas is You

I WAS LEGIT JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS TODAY!

So 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' BUT I adore the Glee cast version for nostalgia reasons.

Also - 'I'll Be Home For Christmas' because... I think someone wrote a fic on here AGES ago and quoted that song towards the end and, once again, nostalgia rings out because it was such a cute story and a cute conclusion! Can't for the life of me remember the title though...

And finally, 'This Christmas' sung by Donny Hathaway. Golly this song just... makes me think of the good times  I had with my family. Things have changed and shifted a bit since then, but I still have some family I absolutely will be wishing a Merry Christmas. 

I grew up listening to my mom's Soul/R&B music so....first one. Silent Night by the Temptations

Next, Hark the Herald Angels Sing by Pentatonix. (They manage to put a REALLY good gospel swing on an old hymn)
And Deck the halls(Not Gospel but still fun to listen to)

And for the kid in me...heh, Carol of the Bells Claymation

The Miser Brothers song (Don't lie to me. You KNOW you LOVE this song)

And Blue Christmas from The Year without Santa Claus

I know most people hate it, but one of my all time favourites for Christmas is Wham's "Last Christmas". I love George Michael's voice, the video and the song itself. 

I also love the Christmas music from Frank Sinatra, Elvis and Nat King Cole. All very talented and classic. Also Judy Garland's "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" is so sad but very beautiful. 

For more contemporary songs its Pentatonix and Michael Buble. 

It's a bit obvious, but the Christmas song I really like is Fairytale of New York by the Pogues. This is a version by a variety of performers collaborating online:

There is also a nice reworked version of I Saw Three Ships by folk singer Kate Rusby: