Sneeze Fetish Forum

Opinions on the Barbie movie?

1a2b3d4c5

So I finally got around to watching the Barbie movie over Christmas (I know, really late to the party) and I was looking forward to it after all the great reviews and hearing everyone talk about it. But…I didn’t like it at all. I can definitely appreciate all the thought that went into the costumes and set design, but to me the plot just felt random and contrived, and I didn’t care about the characters at all. I guess I just don’t get what all the hype was about lol. Anyway, I’d love to hear other people’s opinions. What did you think of it?

11 hours ago, 1a2b3d4c5 said:

So I finally got around to watching the Barbie movie over Christmas (I know, really late to the party) and I was looking forward to it after all the great reviews and hearing everyone talk about it. But…I didn’t like it at all. I can definitely appreciate all the thought that went into the costumes and set design, but to me the plot just felt random and contrived, and I didn’t care about the characters at all. I guess I just don’t get what all the hype was about lol. Anyway, I’d love to hear other people’s opinions. What did you think of it?

Yea it’s very beautiful and I love the storyline and all.. but I wish Ken could have sneezed lmao 🤣 

Before its release, I did have some expectations for the movie. Then it came out and there was all the talk about TERF-y vibes and I only watched it like... last week? the week before? and I have to say it didn't live up to my (pre release) expectations. I'm not a big fan of the sort of comedy where you comment on a social issue by having the characters be kinda oblivious to what they are very explicitly commenting on (think of the scene where they are roller skating and the comments on how they feel), or I guess it depends on how it's made..? And knowing there are terfs/"pseudo terfs" involved kinda changes the vibe of a lot of the movie anyhow.

I could not finish it saw about half. And from everyone who liked it they agree that the first half was the BEST of it. That being said, I am not the audience. But I will say that the concept alone had EVERYTHING going for it. We know big name toys movies make a lot of money (Transformers, Lego) and I think it is one of the rare movies these days that embraced the "girly movie" label. Not like comic superhero movies are doing, which guys will always be the target audience for, trying to ADD the their audience with female heroes to have their cake and eat it too. It was a legit big budget film investment targeting girls. How often does that happen? Not to mention it came out at the perfect time when the other big movie Oppenheimer, targeted a completely different audience spectrum.

Edited by Bless you, Hi
5 hours ago, Sitruuna said:

I'm not a big fan of the sort of comedy where you comment on a social issue by having the characters be kinda oblivious to what they are very explicitly commenting on (think of the scene where they are roller skating and the comments on how they feel), or I guess it depends on how it's made..?

Totally agree on that. I thought that was one of the scenes that felt the most forced. Like Barbie is able to find her way around another world but she doesn’t know the word self-conscious? It just felt like it was all to make a point.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:10 AM, 1a2b3d4c5 said:

It just felt like it was all to make a point.

It was all to make a point and that in itself would be fine. I also DO think that scene and the dialogue had the potential to be funny, but it just. didn't work as it was. To me it felt like theywere trying to be clever about it but didn't manage that, maybe realised it themselves but didn't want to let go of the idea they had for the dialogue and forced it to be something anyhow. I'm sure there are people who watched that and liked how it was written but to each their own and all that. The feminist commentary of the film is also kind of ruined by the terf connections and terf-y vibes.

To say something nice, I did like plenty of the characters and some of the commentary was good (the CEO of Mattel trying to explain how their all male board is fine, actually? 👌🏼). As for Ken, I do like a pathetic guy who struggles to see himself as his own person lmao

Ken's vibes are like
click for a yt video I'm failing to imbed on mobile

Edited by Sitruuna
fixed a typo
18 hours ago, Sitruuna said:

To day something nice, I did like plenty of the characters and some of the commentary was good (the CEO of Mattel trying to explain how their all male board is fine, actually? 👌🏼).

Yes I did like that scene, that one was funny.

I thought the visuals were stunning and some parts were funny, but I didn't feel like it was some comedic masterpiece or revolutionary in any way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it right after the German release and was very hyped up by all the positive comments and reviews but imo it was very much over hyped. I liked the visuals but it's not that revolutionary and way too long. 

I went into the movie blindly with zero expectations and having no clue what the movie will be about and I was pleasantly surprised. It was def a little long but I would watch it again for the Billie Eilish ‘What Was I Made For’ montage alone. That scene really got me and I listen to that song often. And weird Barbie? Loved her. 

On 1/23/2024 at 1:08 PM, AntheaHolmes said:

I saw it right after the German release and was very hyped up by all the positive comments and reviews but imo it was very much over hyped. I liked the visuals but it's not that revolutionary and way too long. 

Yeah I think that was my problem with it. My expectations were too high because I’d heard so much about it. But I think everyone was just excited to have a movie to be excited about, because not many good ones for a wide audience have come out lately.

It was ok, I also didn’t really understand the hype, but then maybe I’m not the target audience.