Sneeze Fetish Forum

Anyone tried therapy?

obsexion

I've been crying every day since my mother is sick because hearing sneezes and coughs is making me wish I were dead and it's just too much overstimulation, even if I try to get out of the house I can't stay outside for too long and she's just sneezing and coughing 24/7 literally no break and I just can't stop crying because it's too much for me, I'm also a huge germaphobe and I'm about to explode, I literally don't know what to do, I'm damaging my hearing by playing music too loudly and it's been days, I don't know what to do. I can't even afford therapy, but regardless, has anyone ever tried to talk about the negative effects of the fetish in therapy and solve them? (At least ease them) 

@obsexion Sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time now. :hug:I wish there was anything I could tell you to help you feel better, but I'm afraid I don't have any experience to share with you that would be of any help... 😒  I just wanted to quickly check in and send you a virtual hug, letting you know you're not alone. ❤️🧡💛

I hope your mom will feel better soon, for her own sake of course, but also for you to get some relief soon. 🌻 ☀️

Take care!

Likewise, I’ve never tried therapy, but I really hope it all eases for you soon. It’s really difficult seeing a family member sick, especially when you can’t escape the situation.

Could you possibly arrange an evening with friends for some relief from the situation?

I have never tried therapy for negative side effects of the fetish, but I totally get it. I haven't lived at home for over a decade now, but I remember what that was like. You should get out of the house and stay with friends, if you can. Or just spend as much time out during the day as is possible.

Another question is, is your mother avoiding getting medical attention, or has she already sought advice?

Is she following the advice or not?

Is she hamming up her symptoms for sympathy/drama or is it normal behaviour?

I’m going to hazard a guess here that you may have misophonia, a strong emotional response (usually a negative one,) to specific sounds, which is made worse because of the sneeze fetish. So you may need therapy, but for the misophonia part:

https://www.webmd.com/brain/ss/slideshow-misophonia-overview

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9180704/

There is a misophonia subreddit on reddit. (I’m not going to link to it because I don’t want to draw attention to the forum.)

If you search for misophonia and sneezing you’ll find a bunch of posts about people being driven nuts by the sound of their mother, husband, brother etc sneezing.

Just know you’re not alone and the people in that group can probably give you advice on better coping strategies.

I hope you're doing okay! 🌻 

If you are experiencing panic attacks, here are a couple techniques I'd recommend. Try holding an ice cube in your hands or taking a really hot shower. The intense but controlled sensation can help recenter you. It can also be grounding to squeeze something like a stuffed animal. It can be especially helpful to squeeze rhythmically or in some kind of more complex pattern, to give yourself something to concentrate on. I like to cross my arms and alternate squeezing my left and right upper arms when I'm panicking. I also find it helpful to hold my hands against my chest to feel my heart beat - it gives me something that's mine to pay attention to, rather than getting overwhelmed by external stimuli.  I hope you find something that helps you! 

• 1 month later...