Sneeze Fetish Forum

What languages other than English do you speak (or are learning)?

_Daisy_

I speak English and Finnish fluently. Then I also speak some Swedish all though my active language skills are a lot worse than my passive skills (I can read well and comprehend what I hear well enough as well, but I can't speak it well). Same with Karelian - technically I can speak it, but not as well as I'd like and I generally feel very self conscious about not being fluent in it so I often answer in Finnish if the other person understands that. I understand it well, though. And because I understand Swedish, I also understand a lot of Norwegian, especially written as the differences grow more noticable as soon as the languages are spoken, but I can't claim to speak it ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have studied Northern Sรกmi in the past and could speak it a bit for a while, but as I haven't been using it or actively learning more in years, I've forgot a lot of the important basics ๐Ÿ˜‚ I can still understand it written if the topic is something I know the vocab for. I've also studied Estonian and actually remember more of that. I don't speak a lot of it but it's something I'd like to build more active skills in.

Most recently I've been inspired to study Ukrainian because of a dude I met at the dog park. We talked about dogs but as it was, he didnโ€™t speak much Finnish and even less English, and I don't remember any Russian nor do I speak Ukrainian. I figured it might be nice to be able to have even a tiny bit of small talk if I ever see him again ๐Ÿ˜‚ I haven't been learning it for a long time, though, and I haven't yet had a chance to see how much I will remember when face to face with someone else. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have studied several other languages as well, most only briefly and a long time ago... I guess the one I remember the most of and understand the best besides the ones I mentioned earlier, is Spanish. That's also one I'd like to learn to speak one day.

I've been studying Japanese for a little over 10 years. I'm still not fluent yet though but I'm working on it. I took the JLPT like 5 years ago, N5. I didn't pass, but I didn't do too badly either for a first try. :)

Native language is Greek, I also speak English (obviously), French and some German :)ย 

I can only speak English. I'm casually trying to learn Japanese on Duo Lingo and Busuu but I'm probably pretty bad at it and wouldn't know enough to do too well in Japan.ย 

As I'm from Germany, I naturally speak German (and a bit of Bavarian and Saxonian ๐Ÿ˜). I speak a little bit of French, sadly just a little bit because I didn't take the French lessons at school seriously. I'd like to learn Spanish because I really like the sound of that language.

i'm a native english speaker but am nearly fluent in spanish!! i've been learning for years and am finally at the point where i can have consistent practice and communication with native speakers, and i'm hoping to work toward being able to write stories in spanish :D

Iโ€™m a native English speaker but I can also speak French. I took it all throughout school and into college and really enjoyed it. Thereโ€™s not many French speakers where I live though so Iโ€™m trying to keep it up with tv shows and music.

I was born and raised speaking only English although my mom had me read words and watch videos in Spanish while I was eating breakfast before school as a kid. I took Spanish for about 6 years in school and never became fluent and now trying seriously to learn Italian as I visited Italy looking for family last summer and would like to go back and speak to the people there. I get Spanish and Italian confused nowย ๐Ÿ™ƒย but I would say I am probably better at Italian, even though it has only been 6 months, I am really working at it.

13 hours ago, Bondi said:

I can only speak English. I'm casually trying to learn Japanese on Duo Lingo and Busuu but I'm probably pretty bad at it and wouldn't know enough to do too well in Japan.ย 

I forgot to mention, I took Italian in High School, and remember enough to maybe do okay with it on Duo Lingo but I also probably wouldn't do very well in Italy either.ย 

I took three years of German in highschool and can barely speak a word of it nowย :disco:

russian, Ukrainian and learning Finnishย 

As an American I can only really speak English lol ๐Ÿคฃ I studied Spanish in high school but don't remember anything aside from a few individual words. I have been studying Japanese for the past few months have found it very hard but fun.

Iโ€™m fluent in English, learning Telugu (can converse but not fluent), Hindi and Spanish. I took Spanish in high school so I can understand it.

Edited by bingochamp7

My mother tongue is German, so English is only my second language. I learnt it while visiting an American church for over 4 years here in Germany but to be honest, I try a more British accent. It's what we've learnt in school by bad teachers (no native speakers, sadly). I'm also trying to learn Czech. I've always been interested in languages. I had Spanish in school but that wasn't my forte. I also like French but I only know a few words.ย 

I can speak a very small bit of German. I did try learning Japanese for a few months but found it very difficultย 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:56 AM, _Daisy_ said:

Curious to hear how diverse our community is!ย 

I took Spanish in high school, and grew up in California. I might be able to make a basic conversation and order eggs and coffee๐Ÿ˜„

8 hours ago, Sneezebigg said:

Would love to try and learn Spanish

Had 6 years in high school with 4 different teachers, it was not my forte. I wanted to learn Russian in the first place but would have been the only one not being half native, so I was allowed to switch because the teacher said it would be too hard...maybe it was for the better.ย 

Ooh I don't usually hang around the off topic section of the Forum but this question is for me because languages are a huge passion of mine! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Italian is my native language as you can guess by my username, but I can also speak English and Spanish pretty fluently because they're the languages I've been studying for the longest time.

I studied Japanese for 2 years long ago and I loved it, but I can only say simple phrases and understand the gist of a conversation when I hear people talking.

I've recently started studying German too, but again I can only say/understand a few words and phrases for now.

I'd have to say I'm only an English speaker.

I can read French (it's spoken too fast for me to understand, despite 11 years learning it in school).

I am confident enough in ASL but I wouldn't say I am fluent by any means.