Sneeze Fetish Forum

Embarrassing sneezes in the dentist chair

Brightly

Firstly, I don't sneeze in public - especially right in front of people, I usually will walk away or try to blend into the crowd or disguise it as a cough so no one really notices, or I will hold it back entirely.  I haven't ever had trouble doing this. 

But, I was at the dentist the other day, in the chair, lying down, and there was nowhere to turn and hide.  The hygienist was cleaning my teeth, I started off with my head to the left side and she was cleaning the right side of my mouth, then she had me turn my head so I was looking straight up , then she tilted the light just so it shone bright in my eyes, and that triggered it.  I felt the burn of a sneeze coming but I held it off for a few seconds, praying the feeling would subside, but the burn spread from my nose outwards and it was inevitable.  I couldn't talk to say I had to sneeze because her hand was in my mouth.  All I could do was vocalize a hitching exhale "HIH" and shake my head slightly -  that got her to look up from my mouth and she saw my eyes shut and nose flared and heard my sharp inhale and she knew what it was and quickly moved her hand out.  I whipped my head to the left and "SHIHhoo!" it sounded SO awkward because I was still trying to hold it back that it didn't even sound like a normal sneeze.

"Goodness!  God Bless!" she said.  My cheeks felt hot and I knew I was bright red, especially when I heard two other 'Bless You's from the other chairs in the office.  

"The light makes people sneeze sometimes - is this OK?"  She was turning the light up and down to make it less bright. 

The light was fine, but there was still the sharp burning feeling in my nose and I knew I had another one coming - I almost always sneeze twice.  I shook my head no, inhaled and turned to the side and sneezed harshly in my bare elbow "HeISSHHooo!"

"Bless you again!"  she said with surprise, and the others blessed me again also - it was kind of awkward that they said it twice, mortifying actually.

I was very apologetic "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry" and she could sense my embarrassment, she said stuff like it's OK, that happens a lot with the bright light.  No worries.  

I noticed she waited a minute before going back into my mouth, to make sure it wasn't going to happen again, and she double checked that the light was OK in my eyes before she continued.  Needless to say I was mortified for the rest of the appointment.

Makes me wonder what happens if they are in the middle of drilling and someone sneezes.  

I don't get all that embarrassed when I sneeze, but this is definitely understandable. I'd hate sneezing in a dentist chair.

@Brightly Bless you, and thank you for sharing your self-observation! 🌻 Oooohhh, sneezing in a dentist chair indeed sounds like a scary experience! 😱 But good to know the hygienist noticed in time what was happening, so you didn't get hurt or anything.

I'm normally not really interested in photic sneezing, but your self-obs is so well written I enjoyed reading it anyway! 🧡
Take care. 🍀

Sorry I don't want to make the embarrassment worse but do you know that the dentist can see all the way up your nose?

In my experience, more experienced dental practices will give their patients tinted eye protection (bigger than glasses,) to minimise photic sneezing from occurring and to make the lights less uncomfortable.

She must have seen it happen a fair few times before considering how nonchalant she was about it - I like the little touch where she waited a minute to see if there were any more on the way :D 

14 hours ago, Brightly said:

The light was fine, but there was still the sharp burning feeling in my nose and I knew I had another one coming - I almost always sneeze twice.  I shook my head no, inhaled and turned to the side and sneezed harshly in my bare elbow "HeISSHHooo!"

Was your elbow wet after sneezing into it?

(I'd be extra embarrassed if a dentist saw the wetness on my bare elbow after sneezing into it. And since a dentist is staring right at you, it's hard to hide it.)

Omg I was just at the dentist earlier this week and I was wondering “wow, wouldn’t it be super unfortunate if I had to sneeze now with the hygienist’s hands in my mouth”. Seems like it happens more often than one would think based on your hygienist’s reaction, at least she was super nice about it. I feel your embarrassment😅

Yeah I usually try to stifle my sneezes in public, this is def something I hope to avoid when I go to the dentist. 

This must be on a list if jobs we all must want no? Close 2nd after nose cleaner, it's a thing in Asia according to videos on YouTube 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing! That sounds like my worst nightmare tbh 👀 I can't even imagine how mortifying the experience must have been