Sneeze Fetish Forum

Hated Sneeze Tropes?

TheSoundwaveSubmarine

I've noticed at least with myself personally that there are certain sneeze "tropes" both in real life and in fictional media that just drive me up the wall as opposed to being something i enjoy. For myself at least, I really dislike "cute", "girly", and especially "squeaked" sneezes as they sound so painfully faked and obnoxious and just hearing them gets me agitated. I also just can't stand people who scream when they sneeze though that may be more due to my sound sensitivity (autism is the best /sar). 

Does anyone else have any "icks" when it comes to sneezes both irl and fictional?

I love girly sneezes. What I don't like is people who are able to control their sneezes too much. Some people just never sneeze in public because they can fight it. Or they do but they "turn it into coughs" or make it really quiet. For most that might be seen as a skill, but for me it ruins it lol. I want someone who gets overtaken by their sneezes with no hope of controlling it no matter the situation.

6 hours ago, ALSF said:

Or they do but they "turn it into coughs"

Heh, I admit I do that sometimes. Just when I'm at work and I don't want to be too noisy or draw too much attention to myself

As for the question....off the top of my head...an ick for me isn't really a sneeze trope, just a sneeze-adjacent trope. I don't like it when people bless themselves.

I mean I don't have a problem with being blessed or blessing others, but when someone blesses themself it just comes of as...I dunno "attention seeking" to me. Like, "Huh, nobody blessed me? Well fine, I don't need you to bless me! I can do it myself" "blesses themself" "See! How do you like that?!?" "I just sneezed and showed EVERYBODY that I don't need the obligatory reaction from anyone else!" 

I mean, you could've just not said anything

14 minutes ago, LastCarpet said:

Heh, I admit I do that sometimes. Just when I'm at work and I don't want to be too noisy or draw too much attention to myself

As for the question....off the top of my head...an ick for me isn't really a sneeze trope, just a sneeze-adjacent trope. I don't like it when people bless themselves.

I mean I don't have a problem with being blessed or blessing others, but when someone blesses themself it just comes of as...I dunno "attention seeking" to me. Like, "Huh, nobody blessed me? Well fine, I don't need you to bless me! I can do it myself" "blesses themself" "See! How do you like that?!?" "I just sneezed and showed EVERYBODY that I don't need the obligatory reaction from anyone else!" 

I mean, you could've just not said anything

It's crazy how much variation there is in the sneeze community because I love when people Bless themselves, especially when it's breathlessly hitched between sneezes.

On the note of sneeze adjacent tropes, I'm definitely in a minority here but 90% of the time I can't stand noseblows. The sound of it just makes me so irritated and grossed out and I can't stand it lol

6 hours ago, ALSF said:

I love girly sneezes. What I don't like is people who are able to control their sneezes too much. Some people just never sneeze in public because they can fight it. Or they do but they "turn it into coughs" or make it really quiet. For most that might be seen as a skill, but for me it ruins it lol. I want someone who gets overtaken by their sneezes with no hope of controlling it no matter the situation.

I sneeze completely silently when I'm in public but that's more so cause I don't want people to perceive me in public lmao

When it's in sneeze content though I hate full stifles as well. Failed stifles are amazing though so it's always a thin line to walk looking for it 

4 minutes ago, TheSoundwaveSubmarine said:

It's crazy how much variation there is in the sneeze community because I love when people Bless themselves, especially when it's breathlessly hitched between sneezes.

On the note of sneeze adjacent tropes, I'm definitely in a minority here but 90% of the time I can't stand noseblows. The sound of it just makes me so irritated and grossed out and I can't stand it lol

I can relate. Noseblows for me were an acquired taste - I didn't like them in the beginning *but* when paired will a full scenario, it adds to the ambiance.

For me my main one is non-consensual sneezing (inducing or contagion). Like, I don't mind the inducing if it's been established that this is a romantic couple and are likely aware of why it's happening and are just, rolling their eyes with a smirk or a fond but irritable groan. 

7 minutes ago, JustReading said:

For me my main one is non-consensual sneezing (inducing or contagion). Like, I don't mind the inducing if it's been established that this is a romantic couple and are likely aware of why it's happening and are just, rolling their eyes with a smirk or a fond but irritable groan. 

Omfg yea

It's so either or for me because done right it's so good but I'm also a little germaphobic (the irony isn't lost on me, trust me) and so it depends sooo much.

I really don’t like scream sneezes. Especially when it’s male. Like calm down dude no need to wake up the entire street. I think it reminds me of old, inconsiderate men that never covers or are mindful of others? 😂 Idkkkk why but it bugs me. Like loud sneezes are okay, but the overly exaggerated ones I just can’t…

Completely agree to both super loud sneezes and nonconsensual sneezing. Super loud sneezes just aren't for me, but then again i don'tlike loud things in general. And for nonconsensual sneezing, I'm also a bit germaphobic, especially when it comes to contagion. I'll be reading cold scenarios/stories but as soon as someone irl is sick, I'm staying very far away from them lmao

13 hours ago, TheSoundwaveSubmarine said:

Yup plenty of variation. I've always liked noseblows. Different sounds for different people and characters
Heh I still remember this old Mickey Mouse cartoon where 5 crying characters blew their noses on the same handkerchief (another thing I like BTW, handkerchief sharing) 
5 different sound...and the last two sounded like a car horn and a trumpet lol

8 hours ago, greencat said:

I'll be reading cold scenarios/stories but as soon as someone irl is sick, I'm staying very far away from them lmao

SO REAL LMAO

I'll read and write and draw characters sick and sneezing without covering or into their hands but someone irl does it and I'm like glowering disdainfully in their direction. I think it's consequences, no one is gonna actually get hurt or screwed over if a fictional person does it, but if someone irl gets me sick I'm miserable for days and miss work and events.

9 hours ago, sneezysunshine said:

I really don’t like scream sneezes. Especially when it’s male. Like calm down dude no need to wake up the entire street. 😂 Like loud sneezes are okay, but the overly exaggerated ones I just can’t…

For me it's both the irritation of the volume (autism is so fun woot woot /sar) and also the fakeness of it. Like the fakeness is the same reason I hate super girly sneezes too like I know DAMN WELL you don't sneeze like that and you're forcing it knock it off and just sneeze like a normal person lol

On 3/2/2024 at 4:20 PM, ALSF said:

Whenever my history teacher would sneeze it would always sound dry. But one time when she had a cold it was a nice uncovered spray into her chest. It was the end of class and everyone was talking so I couldn’t hear it well. That’s probably why she let it go

One thing I don't like, which is more of a personal preference thing than anything, is sneezefics with no build-up. Like they just sneeze, or the build-up is entirely written with no "ahs". It just feels too fast, or like a regular fanfic with some sneezing in it. Not really the kinda thing I'm looking for when I want to read a good sneezefic.

3 hours ago, MrMrMrManManMan said:

One thing I don't like, which is more of a personal preference thing than anything, is sneezefics with no build-up. Like they just sneeze, or the build-up is entirely written with no "ahs". It just feels too fast, or like a regular fanfic with some sneezing in it. Not really the kinda thing I'm looking for when I want to read a good sneezefic.

Oo for me this one is definitely dependent on how its done. Doing it while making it clear the character is breathless makes sense to me and I always like a good description of hitching rather than spelling it out, but that's extremely dependent on the word "Good" here. The difference between something like "she hitched back and sneeze" and "she gasped slowly, chest heaving and falling with each shuddering breath as her head tilted backwards" is astronomical imo

On 3/4/2024 at 12:13 AM, TheSoundwaveSubmarine said:

For me it's both the irritation of the volume (autism is so fun woot woot /sar) and also the fakeness of it. Like the fakeness is the same reason I hate super girly sneezes too like I know DAMN WELL you don't sneeze like that and you're forcing it knock it off and just sneeze like a normal person lol

Yes I agree, it’s something with it being fake that just isn’t it. Something about the release that just happens without any chance at changing it is a lot of why sneezing is nice to me? Idk, so faking it just isn’t the same, and a lot of the glory is lost. 😂

I am struggling to come up with a reply to this that doesn't include the qualifier "but under the right circumstances, I could like it..." I can't think of ons single thing I categorically hate, no discussion, no possibility of ever liking it no matter what.

Like, I might hate something IRL but love it in fiction, or hate something in fiction but adore it from a real person, or hate when most people on the planet do something but adore it from a crush, or even hate if someone I dislike does something but not mind it from anyone else.

My fetish really is pretty much zero about the sneeze itself as a separate thing, and pretty much one hundred percent about the person it's coming from.

1 hour ago, SleepingPhlox said:

I am struggling to come up with a reply to this that doesn't include the qualifier "but under the right circumstances, I could like it..." I can't think of ons single thing I categorically hate, no discussion, no possibility of ever liking it no matter what.

Like, I might hate something IRL but love it in fiction, or hate something in fiction but adore it from a real person, or hate when most people on the planet do something but adore it from a crush, or even hate if someone I dislike does something but not mind it from anyone else.

My fetish really is pretty much zero about the sneeze itself as a separate thing, and pretty much one hundred percent about the person it's coming from.

Definitely understandable have you seen my replies to like half of the things in this thread lmfaooo

Yea a lot of it depends on person and circumstance for sure, there are lots of things that, if done well, are great, even amazing, but require that precedent of "done well".

There is definitely a certain way things need done for certain people and it varies from person to person for sure. Even just within this thread, some people's loves are my icks and vice versa. I despise squeaked sneezes and there are people who'd pay good money for exclusively that.

This discussion is honestly really fun for that reason, it's interesting to see people who like what I hate or hate what I like and their reasons for it.

Cough like sneezes for me. A lot of people I observe in real life seem to do it.

Also, cough like sneezes just don’t sound satisfying lol

15 hours ago, bingochamp7 said:

Cough like sneezes just don’t sound satisfying lol

They sound painful tbh 😭 

For me. When people tell you they need to sneeze too far in advance. Without obvious allergy triggers or seem sick. How do I respond to that. I want to keep half an eye on them. But you don't want to get caught staring. Then it doesn't happen. Rage inducing hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

My least favorite sneeze trope in fiction is when a character has bad allergies that have basically ruined their life, like everyone hates them for sneezing all the time, their ex left them over it, they can't do they job they love, etc. and it's all kind of in service of the MC being the only person to ever accept them. To each their own ofc but it just kinda breaks my suspension of disbelief and bums me out. 

The appeal of sneezes can be destroyed (for me personally) when they're either too squeaky and stifled or too loud, as in screamish, and excessive. Hence, both extremes aren't really my thing. Moreover, the already mentioned part with being sick and contagious in fiction vs. reality is so relatable because I can enjoy a sickfic but as soon as I come near an openly sneezing/coughing person... time to run! Always thinking: Do we for real need those handwashing and sneeze etiquette songs from 2020 again?! 

3 hours ago, prohistamine said:

My least favorite sneeze trope in fiction is when a character has bad allergies that have basically ruined their life, like everyone hates them for sneezing all the time, their ex left them over it, they can't do they job they love, etc. and it's all kind of in service of the MC being the only person to ever accept them. To each their own ofc but it just kinda breaks my suspension of disbelief and bums me out. 

Dude SAMEEE