Sneeze Fetish Forum

Is stifling natural or learned?

Kidder

For those of you who stifle your sneezes, I’d love to know how it came be to be. Is it something you’ve always done for as long as you can remember or did it take practice? If so, how did you go about learning?

From my experience, it’s learned. I remember learning to stifle long back when I realized I felt weird about sneezing. I’d pinch my nose until I got used to stifling hands free, and it was also around that time that my mental block developed.

Definitely a learned thing for me. Since I don't like sneezing in front of anyone, I feel like it's a necessity. Can't say that I'm all that good at it but I try, lol

That's why I appreciate sneezing alone so I can just let it come out 

I have had full sneezes and stifles in public, I prefer just full sneezing and saying excuse me. When I've tried to stifle my throat usually hurts. It's not a good feeling.

16 hours ago, kathleenh4656 said:

I have had full sneezes and stifles in public, I prefer just full sneezing and saying excuse me. When I've tried to stifle my throat usually hurts. It's not a good feeling.

Ahh yes. I forgot to add that my stifles can be uncomfortable if not painful sometimes 

10 hours ago, PapaBear70 said:

Ahh yes. I forgot to add that my stifles can be uncomfortable if not painful sometimes 

10 hours ago, PapaBear70 said:

I guess stifling was learned, but many times it would've been better just to let them out, because there's not a pleasant sound when my stifles fail. 

Interesting. Thank you! Have you considered going back to non-stifled sneezes?

Regular stifler here! 

Like many others, I learned to stifle long ago to minimize attention from sneezing in front of others… the attention is uncomfy 😳

31 minutes ago, Kidder said:

Interesting. Thank you! Have you considered going back to non-stifled sneezes?

Specifically in response to this… I’m also trying to get over my uncomfy feelings, especially around being blessed. So I’m trying to work on letting sneezes out in public… but I’m also battling a mental block 😅

I think it depends on the person honestly. I have talked to some people who claim they don't know how to sneeze without stifling. Some people choose to style in public and it just becomes habit 

It’s clearly learned behaviour.

Have you ever seen a baby or toddler stifle their sneezes? They can’t. They’re still learning very basic movements and can’t exert the fine muscle control stifling requires.

But if someone starts doing it very young due to negative early childhood experiences, they may only ever remember stifling their sneezes because they may have started from a very young age.

6 hours ago, solitaire-au said:

It’s clearly learned behaviour.

Have you ever seen a baby or toddler stifle their sneezes? They can’t. They’re still learning very basic movements and can’t exert the fine muscle control stifling requires.

But if someone starts doing it very young due to negative early childhood experiences, they may only ever remember stifling their sneezes because they may have started from a very young age.

That's a good point. I guess your smarter than I am.