Sneeze Fetish Forum

Best Kept Cold [M, The Ghost and Molly McGee, Scratch, Illness]

Selkie

Hey! Now the very lovely, very awesome @SleepingPhlox commissioned me to write this! Hopefully you enjoy it ;D I don't usually write M as much so this was a fun change! Love to know what people think about this! ;D 

I have a post in Trading Post about commissions is anybody else is interested!

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

This year was proving to be the hottest summer on record – and it really was scorching. You’d think after moving around so much, the McGee family would be more than used to the large range of temperatures that America was able to produce each year, but this was different. The midsummer sun had been relentlessly shining down on Brighton for weeks without a drop of rain for respite and today was no different. 

As the new-morning sun blazed overhead, the pale-blue ghost shuffled out of bed with a groan. Despite the sweltering heat, Scratch woke up with a shiver, instinctually curling back in on himself as he rubbed his tired eyes. He could already hear the excited voices of the family echoing up from downstairs. Scratch knew today was the day they had all been eagerly anticipating – the family trip to the waterpark. It was an annual tradition, a day filled with laughter, splashes, and memories. 

It originally has been something Molly suggested a few years ago when the summer heat had been beating down on them and ever since, heading to the waterpark had been the family’s go-to way to cool off. It wasn’t just the family who enjoyed it, the ghost was also particularly fond of this spot too. Ice-cream, hotdogs... more ice-cream, what wasn’t to love? He’d never admit it out loud, but he also secretly loved the fact these trips made him feel part of the family – a true McGee- but nobody else needed to know that of course. 

As Scratch dragged himself out of bed, he couldn't shake the persistent chill that clung to him, this wasn’t the usually ghostly chill he had grown accustomed too, this was... different, the sort of chill he got when he was- Hehhh...Huh’TSHOO!” 

Oh no. 

Scratch clapped his ghostly hands over his mouth, desperately trying to stifle the sneeze, but it erupted through his fingers with a force that surprised him. The spectral sound echoed through the room. No, no, no! This could not be happening! Not today! He couldn’t be sick! 

He winced at the sound, glancing around the room as if hoping no one had heard him. But the unmistakable noise had already reached Molly's ears, who was passing by the room with an armful of towels, blown-up rubber ring already sitting at her waist. 

"Bless you, Scratch!" she called out, a grin on her face. "Ready for a day of waterpark fun? We’re taking a picnic with us too!" 

"Y-yeah of course," Scratch replied, attempting to sound casual, though his voice came out scratchy and weak. The mere mention food alone usually had him grinning with excitement but suddenly, the thought of it wasn’t exactly warm. He cleared his throat, hoping Molly wouldn't catch on. "Just gearing up for the best day ever." 

Molly raised an eyebrow but didn't press further, continuing down the hall leaving the ghost to gather his composure. And he was glad she did because not a moment sooner his momentary comfort was interrupted by a series of rapid sneezes. 

“Huh-hh’KSsh! HuhTSCHHoo! hhH-Hit'TSCHOO!” 

Each sneeze seemed to carry him a little further off the ground, and he shook her head, momentarily disoriented as he hovered mid-air.Woah.” He sniffled, scrunching up his nose as he swiped a finger beneath it. He was seriously going to have to work on holding those back.  

As he descended the staircase, Scratch could hear the chatter and laughter growing louder. The tantalizing smell of sunscreen and excitement filled the air. He glanced around the familiar hallway, adorned with family photos and quirky decorations. Despite his initial reluctance to admit it, Scratch felt a warm sense of belonging in this lively household. 

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, scratch spotted Molly bustling around the kitchen, packing snacks and drinks into a cooler. She looked up and flashed him a smile, her eyes sparkling with anticipation. 

"Ready to hit the road?" Molly asked, her voice brimming with enthusiasm. 

Scratch nodded, trying to muster up some of Molly's infectious energy. "Absolutely, can't wait to get there!”  

Molly grinned and handed him a bag of chips to add to the picnic stash. "Great! The others are already waiting in the car. Let's make this the best waterpark day yet!" 

With a renewed sense of excitement, Scratch followed Molly out to the car, where the rest of the family was eagerly waiting. As he settled into his seat, surrounded by the familiar faces of the McGee's. 

“Is everybody ready?” Pete cheered as he climbed into the driver’s side, doing a quick check to make sure they had everything they’d need. The car was buzzing with excitement as they hit the road toward the waterpark. Scratch tried to maintain his enthusiasm but the painful itch at the back of his throat had only gotten worse. 

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, trying to find a position that would alleviate the growing pressure in his head. The dull ache from earlier this morning felt like it was swelling, and the stuffiness of the car was only serving to fuel its intensity. 

“Something wrong?” The familiar voice of his friend asked from beside him. 

Scratch mustered a weak smile, "Yeah, just not used to the heat, you know? Ghost problems." He attempted to make light of the situation, but Molly, sitting beside him, sensed something was off. 

"Maybe we should open a window or something," Molly suggested, turning to the ghost with a playful nudge, "We don’t want you melting or something, do we?" 

The thought of fresh air did sound appealing, so Pete rolled down the windows. However, as they cruised along the highway, the warm breeze only seemed to worsen Scratch's headache. He winced, suppressing a groan. 

Opening the windows was definitely the wrong idea, something in the air seemed to irritate his already overly sensitive nose. There was barely any warning, a sudden desperate itch then- 

"Huh-TSHH! Hhih! Hh-Huh'TSCHOO! Hh-Huh'TSCHAA! Scratch's attempts to suppress the sneezes were failing miserably. He really wasn’t used to hiding these sorts of things. They were just so itchy! 

There was a chorus of blessings from the family, and prompted Sharon to start wondering if it really was appropriate to bless a ghost. Just Scratch was frantically trying to find an excuse, Pete spoke up, glancing up at the rear-view mirror to meet his eyes. 

Pollen getting to ya bud?” He asked casually, as he drove, following the sat-nav's directions towards the park. 

“Yeah!” Scratch answered a little to eagerly, “I mean- yeah, woah, this pollen. It must really be bad today.” He took the cover to sniffle wetly against the back of his wrist, causing a fuss from Sharon who insisted he use a tissue instead. 

He continued to sniffle into that tissue for the rest of the journey, resting his head against the window of the car before they finally pulled arrived at their destination. The family parked the car near the entrance of the park, and everyone eagerly piled out. The sun was shining, and the inviting scent of chlorine wafted through the air as they approached the swimming pool area. Pete led the way, holding the entrance gate open for everyone. 

As they entered the pool area, the vibrant blue water sparkled in the sunlight, and the sound of splashing and laughter filled the air. Molly couldn't contain her excitement and practically skipped towards the pool, urging everyone to hurry up so she could jump in. 

Scratch, however, lagged behind, his steps a bit sluggish. The scent of chlorine grew stronger, and his already sensitive nose wrinkled in discomfort. He tried to shake off the feeling, not wanting to spoil the family outing, but the congestion was becoming increasingly apparent as he failed to breathe from his nose. 

As they approached the side of the water, the smell of chlorine only grew stronger, causing Scratch’s breath to hitch in anticipation, trying as hard as he could to fight back the itch. He hesitated for a moment before gingerly dipping his toe into the water. 

Instantly, a powerful sneeze overtook him, echoing off the tiled walls of the pool area. "Huh-KSHOO! Huh-ISHH! Huhh- Huh! Hih-ITSCHOO!" Scratch sneezed uncontrollably, his eyes watering from the irritation. 

Pete rushed to his side; concern etched on his face. "Whoa there, buddy! Maybe the pool isn't such a good idea for you today," he suggested, guiding Scratch away from the water's edge. 

“No!” He protested, feeling a pang of guilt at the concerned faces staring back at him, “It’s fine, we’re all here. We have to enjoy ourselves! This is aaaHh- Hhi! -Hah’ESHOO!-  family day!” The ghost insisted, sniffling stubbornly as he urged them all to get into the pool, “It really is just allergies! I heh- swear- Hh' HaH! HH’aETSCHOO! Hih!-Hh-IshHh’tSHU! 

But Pete wasn't convinced. "I've never heard of ghosts having allergies, buddy. Maybe we should cut the outing short and get you back home." He crossed his arms, trying to think of the best way to navigate the situation. A sick ghost isn’t something he’s had experience with after all. 

The concern in Pete's voice prompted the rest of the family to look at Scratch with worried expressions. Sharon handed him another tissue from her bag, and even the kids were giving him sympathetic glances. 

"I hate to admit it, but Pete might be right," Molly said, her tone gentle. "We can always plan another day for the waterpark when you're feeling better. It’s not worth it if you’re feeling ill." 

Scratch hesitated, feeling a mix of gratitude and guilt. "No, no, really, I'll be fine. Let's not let this ruin the day." He sniffled into the tissue, guilt rising up from the pit of his stomach. He tried to join the others by the poo but instead swayed to the side, feeling lightheaded and weak.  

"Scratch, you don't look well at all," Pete observed, exchanging concerned glances with the rest of the family. "We can't enjoy the day if you're not feeling up to it. Let's head back home, and you can rest." 

Reluctantly, Scratch nodded, realizing that he couldn't keep up the charade any longer. The family gathered their belongings, and Pete led the way back to the car. Scratch, now visibly struggling, followed behind, his energy waning with every step. 

The car ride back was quieter than the earlier journey. Scratch slumped in his seat; tissues scattered around him as he sniffled miserably. It wasn’t just his cold making him feel bad, it was just a hot day, the family deserved to enjoy themselves but here he was, forcing them to go home just because he couldn’t handle a case of the sniffles. It was so stupid! He needed to get a hold of himself! Hh- If only he could get a hold of Hhh-his nose- Hhah! first! Hhh’TSCHOO! HhhH’HhtSHHOO! 

Bless you. I’m sorry you don’t feel good Scratchy.” He felt the warm arm of Molly come to wrap around him. Usually, he hated this sort of contact but in the moment, it was a welcomed gesture. 

As they pulled into the driveway, Scratch couldn't help but feel guilty for cutting short what was supposed to be a fun family outing. “Hey guys.” He spoke up, prompting everyone to look back at him, “I’m sorry for Hh- h..Hah'PTSHOO! I’m sorry for ruining the family day for you all.” His eyes cast down, not wanting to meet the expected expressions of disappointment he was sure he’d see on their faces. But that wasn’t the case, quite the opposite in fact. 

"You don’t need to apologise at all. Family days are about making sure the whole family has fun, you’re part of that too. It wouldn’t be much fun if you weren’t feeling well." Pete said, his tone filled with sincerity as he gave him a reassuring nod. 

Sharon nodded in agreement. "Exactly. We can always plan another outing, but we can't replace you. Your well-being is what matters most to us." 

With their words, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Scratch managed a weak smile. "Thanks, guys. I appreciate it more than you know." He gave a stuffy sniffle behind his smile before getting out of the car. 

Just as they were about to head inside, Sharon's face lit up with an idea. "You know what? Since we're all in the mood for some water fun, why don't we have a DIY pool day right here at home?" 

Excited murmurs filled the air as everyone's spirits lifted at Sharon's suggestion. Scratch perked up, his guilt dissipating into anticipation. He watched as his family members exchanged excited glances, already envisioning the makeshift pool day in their minds.  

Pete grinned, his eyes alight with enthusiasm. "That sounds like a fantastic idea! We have all the tools and materials we need right here. Let's turn our backyard into a water wonderland!" 

Molly clapped her hands together with excitement. "I'll grab some inflatable pool toys and set up a lounge area with towels and umbrellas. It'll be like our own private oasis!" 

As everyone pitched in with ideas and tasks, Scratch felt a surge of gratitude wash over him. Despite his initial reluctance to admit he wasn't feeling well, his family's unwavering support and understanding transformed what could have been a disappointing day into the best at-home pool day he could’ve ever imagined. 

Putting this part up at the top so people see it: Y'all, GO to the Trading Post and check out Selkie's commission post if there's a fiction itch you're looking to get scratched (pun not intended but I love it so it's staying :laugh: ) Worth. Every. Penny. Seriously, do it.

This is so freaking great I don't know what to say.

It ticked every one of my boxes, you wrote each character's voice SO well despite me throwing a brand new fandom at you, the ending is like something straight out of the show...the misery, the denial, the sad Scratch being comforted, this is exactly everything I wanted.

I've been such a fan of your writing on the forum, especially the Marvel stuff, and you took this and knocked it out of the park.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 7:49 AM, Selkie said:

It was so stupid! He needed to get a hold of himself! Hh- If only he could get a hold of Hhh-his nose- Hhah! first! Hhh’TSCHOO! HhhH’HhtSHHOO!  

I’m not familiar with this show, but I will say that I LOVE it when people include a buildup as part of a character’s thought process.

This story is awesome!! Well done :)