Sneeze Fetish Forum

who plays musical instruments?

guy that does things

yeah, the title is very self-explanatory. im hoping to find at least one absolute music geek that can nerd out about their instrument and their music with me, as i really do love playing my instrument.

in case anyone is wondering, i play the saxophone! my favorite and main instrument is the tenor sax, but i can play alto as well. although i mainly focus on classical sax, i dabble very occasionally in very low-level jazz. i played in high school (i will not be disclosing my all region results for fear of being discovered), and i also did marching band. music is just really really cool! i think its a universal language that sounds good to anyone that hears it at all, and it unites humanity (kind of like sneezes in a way, lol)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 7:52 PM, guy that does things said:

yeah, the title is very self-explanatory. im hoping to find at least one absolute music geek that can nerd out about their instrument and their music with me, as i really do love playing my instrument.

in case anyone is wondering, i play the saxophone! my favorite and main instrument is the tenor sax, but i can play alto as well. although i mainly focus on classical sax, i dabble very occasionally in very low-level jazz. i played in high school (i will not be disclosing my all region results for fear of being discovered), and i also did marching band. music is just really really cool! i think its a universal language that sounds good to anyone that hears it at all, and it unites humanity (kind of like sneezes in a way, lol)

Don't know how much I qualify as a music geek so sorry if I disappoint on that front lol

I was in band for 4 years in middle/high school and I played the flute. Middle school band was fine, but in my, at the time, tiny ass high school with a really sucky band program there was only one other flute in the entire band and only 7 members total in our "band".

Aside from the pathetically small size of our band, our high school band instructor was kind of awful. She was a kinda kooky old lady who really wasn't the most pleasant of people and despite my work at flute she didn't actually teach very many helpful skills and so I didn't get very good at flute or continue very far into band mostly due to her. I haven't touched my flute in years and am honestly worried I'll just bring back bad memories if I do lmao

Despite my less than impressive ventures on the flute, I am actually really invested and interested in playing guitar. I take guitar lessons every Friday and my guitar instructor is literally the best. He is a really cool guy that I just really clicked with both in learning style and in general interests and humor. Playing the guitar is really fun for me both in getting to learn with my instructor and also the sheer excitement and enjoyment of getting better and better at a song I'm learning and hearing, seeing, and feeling myself improve from when I first tried to play it to being able to play it with ease.

As of right now I can play, confidently and in full, the following songs on guitar

Rock N' Roll Music - The Beatles
Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry song but I play the Beatles cover
Real Gone - Sheryl Crow
Life is a Highway - Tom Cochran song but I play the Rascal Flatts cover
That'll Be the Day - Buddy Holly

I'm also learning to play Hey Bulldog (Beatles) and Crocodile Rock (Elton John) currently

I've found that my learning style, at least when it comes to music, is much more song oriented than structure oriented if that makes any logical sense. Instead of playing specific passages from music books to teach you music, I tell my instructor what song I wanna learn and he prints it out and we figure it out and I learn to play it bit by bit until I can play it in full and each new song (which I choose myself, I think that's honestly the most important part) teaches me new skills. Real Gone and Life is a Highway taught me powerchords and the other songs I've learned each have their own assortment of chords I have now learned (Roll Over Beethoven uses G and D, That'll be the Day uses A, D, Em, and B, etc).

I don't know how much this relates to your initial topic because I know guitar for some reason is rather estranged from band/orchestra and therefore the sorts of niches and communities that form around instruments used in band/orchestra, but I have some past band experience and am finally getting back into music thanks to guitar so I thought I'd chime in

I'm sorry this is so very long but I like to ramble when I talk about things I enjoy, sorry for the wall of text lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I've learnt playing flute in 7th and 8th grade but the teacher was horrible and I was very unmotivated to continue so I switched to double bass even though I'm just 5'1 ft and we had to find a smaller one. I like it very much and my teacher was nice and all but due to very stressful times when writing my a-levels over 10 years ago and some other personal problems I haven't played in years. I really liked it and maybe someday I will start learning to play again. 

I have been playing French horn since the 6th grade but I can also play a little trumpet and piano.

I learned to play amazing grace on tin whistle but never got further and I took guitar lessons for a while but during the last class the guy teaching me retuned it differently then it's supposed to be for regular play and never retuned it and since I can't retune it myself and the place closed down am sort of stuck someday though... I also want to learn banjo and bagpipes as well. there is in particular one song besides Amazing grace I want to learn but have never been able to learn "the inner light them" variation from Star trek TNG episode "lessons"< it has a deep meaning Emalara and I would listen to just that tune and sit together with my arms around her for hours... but I never have been able to find it I have found several variations but none of them are completely accurate they all change it in some way. this is the best variation I have found so far still not accurate exactly but the closest https://youtu.be/qDmq-NLAMl4

I'm a singer songwriter sorta guy, I can play just about anything on guitar and I write lots. I play other instruments but guitar's my pride and joy.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:26 AM, TheSoundwaveSubmarine said:

Don't know how much I qualify as a music geek so sorry if I disappoint on that front lol

I was in band for 4 years in middle/high school and I played the flute. Middle school band was fine, but in my, at the time, tiny ass high school with a really sucky band program there was only one other flute in the entire band and only 7 members total in our "band".

Aside from the pathetically small size of our band, our high school band instructor was kind of awful. She was a kinda kooky old lady who really wasn't the most pleasant of people and despite my work at flute she didn't actually teach very many helpful skills and so I didn't get very good at flute or continue very far into band mostly due to her. I haven't touched my flute in years and am honestly worried I'll just bring back bad memories if I do lmao

Despite my less than impressive ventures on the flute, I am actually really invested and interested in playing guitar. I take guitar lessons every Friday and my guitar instructor is literally the best. He is a really cool guy that I just really clicked with both in learning style and in general interests and humor. Playing the guitar is really fun for me both in getting to learn with my instructor and also the sheer excitement and enjoyment of getting better and better at a song I'm learning and hearing, seeing, and feeling myself improve from when I first tried to play it to being able to play it with ease.

As of right now I can play, confidently and in full, the following songs on guitar

Rock N' Roll Music - The Beatles
Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry song but I play the Beatles cover
Real Gone - Sheryl Crow
Life is a Highway - Tom Cochran song but I play the Rascal Flatts cover
That'll Be the Day - Buddy Holly

I'm also learning to play Hey Bulldog (Beatles) and Crocodile Rock (Elton John) currently

I've found that my learning style, at least when it comes to music, is much more song oriented than structure oriented if that makes any logical sense. Instead of playing specific passages from music books to teach you music, I tell my instructor what song I wanna learn and he prints it out and we figure it out and I learn to play it bit by bit until I can play it in full and each new song (which I choose myself, I think that's honestly the most important part) teaches me new skills. Real Gone and Life is a Highway taught me powerchords and the other songs I've learned each have their own assortment of chords I have now learned (Roll Over Beethoven uses G and D, That'll be the Day uses A, D, Em, and B, etc).

I don't know how much this relates to your initial topic because I know guitar for some reason is rather estranged from band/orchestra and therefore the sorts of niches and communities that form around instruments used in band/orchestra, but I have some past band experience and am finally getting back into music thanks to guitar so I thought I'd chime in

I'm sorry this is so very long but I like to ramble when I talk about things I enjoy, sorry for the wall of text lol!

Beatles fan who knows Hey Bulldog and the more underrated stuff?? Goodonya mate lol

I can sort of play the bass guitar!
I really wish to pick it back up, but I sold my amp, so I can't really hear it :,)

8 hours ago, dudeguy said:

Beatles fan who knows Hey Bulldog and the more underrated stuff?? Goodonya mate lol

The Beatles are one of my special interests!! In terms of underrated stuff, Hey Bulldog obviously but "Rain" is probably the most underrated track in the entire world, give it a listen if you never have.

4 hours ago, TheSoundwaveSubmarine said:

The Beatles are one of my special interests!! In terms of underrated stuff, Hey Bulldog obviously but "Rain" is probably the most underrated track in the entire world, give it a listen if you never have.

No I love every beatles song, I can play all of them on guitar and sing em too. They're my favorite band. you could probably ask me any song from them if I've heard it and I'd say yes or quote a lyric at you lol

Guitar. Mex strat, occasionally an acoustic.

I'm mainly a noodler but have done some recording. Can do a few standards + a bit of writing my own stuff.