Sneeze Fetish Forum

My Brothers' Keeper Chapter 4/10 (Brash Brothers series) (M, cold, contagion, caretaking))

Guessagain

Title: My Brothers' Keeper (multichapter fanfic)

Author: GuessAgain

Fandom: Brash Brothers series

Summary: Kade has to pick up more long hours at Knight Street due to Micah being stressed and exhausted. Kade picks up a bug and shares it with his family by accident as they try to get him to stop working and take care of himself. 

Disclaimer: As much as it pains me to say this, I do not own these amazing characters. All credit goes to Jenna Myles for these unique, incredibly human, flawed, beautiful cinnamon roll heroes and their badass partners/spouses. 

Characters:

Kade Dixon: COO of Brash Group, married to Becca, very sweary. Workaholic and crap at self-care.

Becca Tyler: Teaches martial arts and self-defense classes at the local dojo, a badass, sometimes referred to as a ninja. Married to Kade.

Micah James: Runs the mechanic side of the Knight Street Garage, does custom restorations, and deals with his Aphasia by combining speech and ASL in most conversations. Holly is his girlfriend.

Holly Clarke: A short queen. Runs the office at the Knight Street garage, escaped an abusive ex-husband, and is now very pregnant and in love with Micah.

Colton Miles: Head of Security for Brash. Overprotective. Married to Evie. Proud (Step) daddy to Mia. Biological younger brother to John.

Evie Collins: ER Nurse and (adoptive) mom to Mia. Helped Holly escape her abuser. Married to Colton.

Mia Collins: Evie and Colton's (adopted) daughter. 4 years old and doted on by her 9 uncles who love to spoil her rotten.

Declan Wilder: Hacker/computer IT guy for Brash. Love videogames and action figures and notoriously loses bets against Jonas with hilarious results. In a relationship with Cara, after being intimidated by her and running from her for 3 years.

Cara Davis: Ransom's assistant and left and right hand. Entrepreneur, owner of a club Curves Ahead. Older sister to Bree. Recently killed a man attacking Bree in a joint Self-defense effort. She and Declan are finally together after 3 years of her trying to flirt with him.

Zach Lee: Head of Marketing. Very fashion and appearance-focused. Neat and organized. Enjoys the finer things in life. Over-protective brother of Jonas. In a relationship with Maya who enjoys getting him to loosen up. Carries a spare lint roller.

Maya Miller: Brilliant Marketing expert with an awful sense of direction. Sensory issues with lights and highly sensitive to non-cotton fabrics. Disorganized and unable to wear shoes for long periods. In a relationship with Zach.

Jonas Lee: CFO, the number guru, has Autism and is married to Janey. Reserved around new people and loves puzzles. Brother of Zach. Blunt and tends to take things literally. Was in a car accident at age 4 that killed his and Zach's parents. Designated Driver and very concerned with safety. 

Janey Lewis: Head of HR for Brash. Highly intuitive people-person but lacking in self-confidence. Has dyslexia. Married Jonas and fell in love. She is uncanny in her ability to read people's emotional and mental states and tends to make outsiders feel welcome.

Nick Diaz: King of persuasion. No official title at Brash, but goes wherever Ransom needs him to. Charismatic and flirty with women because he likes making them feel beautiful and happy. Enjoys spending time with Bree. Speaks Spanish fluently.

Bree Davis: Physiotherapist and athlete. Cara's younger sister, raised by Cara since she was 16. Recently survived a brutal physical attack by her ex. Still recovering mentally and emotionally. Hangs out with Nick a lot.

John (Joker) Miles: Did 18 years in prison. Recently released, still adjusting to life outside and his family. Older brother to Colton and a talented chef. Volunteers at a soup kitchen. Spends a lot of time cooking for the family and hanging out with Abby, as well as, Janey, and Jonas.

Abby Brightwell: Maya's assistant at Brash, recovering from a bad breakup. Spends a lot of time with John. Blunt and has no filter and enjoys dyeing her hair vibrant colors. Still sees herself as an outsider in the Brash family group.

Maverick Walker: The Legal arm of Brash Group. He is often burning the candle at both ends and his exhaustion shows. He giggles a lot with his brothers and seems energized when they are happy. He does alot of Pro Bono legal work and hates bullies. Speaks Spanish and owns a dance club that the brothers and the women all go to when they aren't at Cara's. 

Ransom Kyle: CEO and founder of the Brash Group, father figure, and head of the family. Big idea guy and cares about his family more than anything. He will do anything he thinks he needs to to protect his family. Built a multi-billion dollar automotive and real estate empire with 9 boys from a group home they were in as teens. Stressed by change, but is so caring and protective of anyone he sees as family.

Author's note:

These fanfics will give spoilers for books 1-8, so readers beware. They will take place just a month or so before Holly gives birth. All main characters are 30-40 years old. ASL indicated with italics. This one is light on the sneezes, but Kade is going to suffer a while in Chapter Two as well.

Trigger warnings for all ten chapters will be posted in each chapter:

Brief mentions of past traumatic events that are mentioned in the books, including: 

• Domestic Violence

• Past alcoholism of a minor character

• References to Drug use by a parent while pregnant, resulting in long-term health concerns about a child. (There is absolutely nothing illness-related involving this child in this, except for overly-concerned dad/uncles avoiding exposing her to illness.) 

• Assault

• physical violence

• pregnacy loss (brief references to past events only)

• criminal history

• prison violence/scarring/injury

• PTSD

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Survivors guilt

• Death of minor characters

• Past Toxic relationships

• Mentions of past child neglect/abuse 

• Autism

• Aphasia, due to injury from abuse in childhood.

• Lots and lots and lots of swearing

• Sex mentions, but not detailed

Chapter One: Kade:

I scowl at my reflection in the rearview mirror as I back my truck into the Knight Street garage lot. I used to love this place, but now the only time I come out here is when something bad goes wrong. Granted, not much has in the last year with Micah and Holly running the place, but I guess we were fucking due.

Over the past year, as I began to work at the corporate office more, I liked to think if Micah needed me that the fucker would just text or something. Apparently though, that's not the case. At least, if Ransom isn't bullshitting me. Nah, he wouldn't. Not about this kind of shit.

Ransom doesn't fuck around when it comes to those he cares about, but this situation isn't one he saw coming. That spooked him pretty good. Ransom knows us better than we know ourselves most of the time. He sounded like he couldn't believe it himself, but he called me out of the blue and said Micah blew up at the new office person for fucking up a parts order and made him cry. That sounds waaay too much like the old Micah, the one that used his fists to make a point, and that's not good.

Micah's been under a fuck ton of stress though with Holly’s due date coming at all of us like a fucking freight train. Becca and I think Holly’s been avoiding him because he just fucking hovers so damn much. I get that he's worried, but I think Holly might haul off and smack him if he doesn't chill the fuck out. Someone's gotta talk him around, and I guess that someone's me.

I open the door to the office and eye the reception desk as the bell chimes. The guy comes scurrying out of the bathroom with a bunch of tissues pressed to his face and for a horrible moment, I wonder if Micah actually lost it and… But, no… He's just sniffling and wiping his eyes with the mitt full of Kleenex. He's definitely been crying, but there's no blood. Thank fuck. What the fuck's his name again? Edward, Edwin, Ed-something.

He's about 23 maybe, and a scrawny 5’9” (Well, scrawny, compared to me and my brothers) with scruffy blond hair and a pointy chin. He jumps when he sees me. I guess I'm still scary big to most people, but Colton and Micah are bigger.

“Mr. Dixon? What are you doing here?” He asks, nervously pulling at the collar of his red Brash Auto polo shirt. He sounds like shit... like he's been crying for hours.

“Relax, man. I'm just here to see Micah. Is he in the garage?” I keep my voice low and casual.

Ed pales and nods, trembling, and immediately spills his guts. His eyes squeeze shut in his determination to get the worst over with.

“Y-yes. I-I-I messed up on the parts order for the old T-Bird. Mr. James was… not happy about it. I-I'll do better though! I can stay late to fix it. I'm still getting used to the ordering system…” He trails off and then quickly buries his face into the tissues with a few rough-sounding sneezes. His nose is really red too.

I wince. Poor guy's allergies must be bad to bother him this time of year. “Bless you. Why don't I watch while you put this order in and I can help if you aren't sure on something. Then you can head out, I'll lock up.”

Ed looks at me with a combination of awe and horror, as if the COO of the Brash group is above ordering parts or locking up a garage. I just drag a chair over sit down beside him and brush aside a few tissues into the trash can. The whole process of returning the wrong part and ordering the correct one takes only about 20 minutes. Ed sniffles a bunch but seems so grateful for the help that I can't really be annoyed by it… much.

He leaves with a wave and a grateful smile. I rub my face tiredly and go to find Micah. I find him in his bay of the garage shoulders deep in a beautiful Camaro. I smack his back in greeting, “Hey Jackass, I just saved you from losing the office guy that's covering for Holly. No thanks to you, he's staying. Do you want to tell me what the fuck happened today? You made the guy cry, Micah!”

Micah pulls himself upright and my eyes widen. He looks exhausted and stressed as fuck. His hands are trembling. I frown at him. He sighs and shakes his head, “I… know. Sorry, K-Kade.” He continues by signing, I lost my temper. I'll fix this. I'll apologize tomorrow. I'm just not sleeping well.

My frown deepens. “Why? What's in your head right now that's got you so rattled?”

I know the answer before he can force the word out, I sigh, “Holly.”

He nods and signs, She's just so fucking pregnant right now. I'm afraid she'll get hurt all the time. She could trip and fall on her stomach and I can't always be there. She doesn't want me there. She yelled last night that I was making her nervous. 

She's with Becca at the Self-defense class tonight. She won't stop. Her doctor was no help. Said exercise is healthy and that she can continue as long as she doesn't get too worn out.

Poor guy's about to be a dad and he is not even fucking functional right now. I ruffle his hair. “Hey. If Becca's got her, you know she'll keep Holly safe, yeah? My woman's a fucking badass and she will keep Holly from overdoing it.”

Micah nods again, looking calmer, but so damn tired that I want to shake him. “Listen fucker, you're no good to us like this. Go home and get some fucking sleep. I don't want to see you here for at least a couple of days. You're going to start fucking shit up soon at this rate. So check in with your woman and go to bed. Unless you want to pass out if Holly starts labor early.”

I shudder. I went to one of those birthing classes. Micah will need to be firing on all cylinders to help Holly get through that shit. Micah shakes his head, trying to banish the thought. “Good. Now get the fuck out. I got you covered here. I'll come in tomorrow and the next day and get Ed more training.” 

For good measure, I threaten, “If you don't make yourself sleep, I'll have Colton fart on you, and if that doesn't knock you out, nothing will.”

Micah grimaces, but puts a hand on my shoulder, “Kade… Thanks.”

“Anytime, dumbass.” He smiles tightly but punches my arm as he leaves. 

Over the next couple of days, I barely see Becca or the High-rise apartment we share. I text her explaining things and she agrees that for now I'm where I need to be to keep things afloat here. Fuck, I miss her though. 

I stretch and turn back to the pile of invoices that need corrections. Ed admitted he'd needed extra training for nearly a month now, but he was too nervous to ask Micah for help when Micah was being a grumpy dickhead to him already. I told Ed that I'd go through them tonight and double-check things. 

I look at the clock and groan: 3:13 am. I haven't pulled nights like these since before Becca came. But I guess I'm getting soft, because the last day or so, I'm starting to feel more and more run down. But Micah needs me here and so does Ransom for now. 

Micah took the last couple of days off and according to Holly slept for 16 hours straight yesterday. Becca and Holly have been inseparable and I think that's the only thing that let Micah calm his ass down enough to sleep.

I clear my throat. Ugh. I need to clean the office. It's getting grimy again and the dust must be getting to me. I down the last of my cold coffee and rub my throat, feeling the growth of my stubble rasp against my hand. Suddenly a fierce twinge takes over and barrels through my sinuses and I sneeze roughly into my sleeve. 

Hahpt-Chuuh! Fuck.” I sniffle and scrounge around for the tissue box. It's nearly empty, but I pull one out and blow my nose. Ed's been way worse, going through a bunch of them daily. I should probably get started on it. If it's starting to bug me, it's bad.

By the time Brash Auto is due to open, the windows are wiped down along with the shelves and desk and I haven't stopped fucking sneezing. I haven't sneezed so much since I got sick last year. 

The sneezing is fucking murder on my throat though and I drink more coffee to dull the ache. My head is throbbing and full of snot. I ran out of tissues and ended up using fucking toilet paper instead. 

The bell chimes for the door and the mechanics come in heading for the garage followed by a massive figure. Colton. Colton's 6’5” and 280 lbs, but he's a teddy bear unless you tick him off. He doesn't exactly look ticked off right now, but he looks like he's about to tick me off. His expression is a mixture of stubbornness and worry. 

“Kade, what are you still doing here? You were here all fucking night! Again! Not cool, man! You can't keep wearing yourself out like this.” He rumbles, crossing his arms. It doesn't seem like he should be able to do that with his bulk, but he can.

“I had shit to take care of, fucker! M’bicah was so fucki’g squirrely over worryi’g about Holly that he almost lost us an eb’mployee!” Fuck. My voice is fucking wrecked. I sound like I smoke two packs a day. Colton confirms my ears work just fine by wincing.

“You sound bad, brother.” He says simply, putting a ham-sized hand on my shoulder, “Time for you to head home and take care of that cold.”

I look at him like he's lost his mind. “I'mb not fucki’g sick a’d I still have shit to do.” I retort, glaring at him. I'm not. It just fucking filthy in here. My nose is starting to itch again, but sneezing is the last thing I want to do in front of Colt. It feels like I'd be giving him fuel for this bullshit theory he's spewing.

Colton sighs and his frown deepens into a scowl. “Look, Kade, I know you feel responsible for this place, but Declan showed me the footage from last night and the night before. If you don't believe me, you should check your phone.”

“M'by phon'de?” I rasp out the question, rubbing my nose. It crackles with congestion as I head to the desk and look at the phone I've been ignoring all night. 

10:58pm Micah: Ed just called in sick. 

10:59pm Micah: I can come in tomorrow, I slept a lot.

12:01am Micah: Kade?

5:12am Micah: You okay?

After that, it seems Micah went to the family group chat. 

6:00am Micah: Guys, Kade's been at the shop covering for me for the last couple of days.

6:00am Micah: Now he's not answering my texts. And the new office guy just called me, sounding sick as a dog.

6:03am Declan: Hang on, I'll check the security footage.

6:05am Colton: Kade's back at Knight Street? 

6:07am Micah: Yeah, I wasn't doing great. Still pretty wiped out. But I can go in.

6: 08am Colton: Nope. You rest up. You looked like shit yesterday. I'll go check on him.

6:10am Declan: Yeah, you probably should. Fucker was up all night. Colt, I'll send you the footage. 

6:15am Maverick: That's not good.

6:15am Jonas: Sick as a dog… That's a weird saying.

6:20am Ransom: I sent Kade over to check on things. Dec, send the footage to me too.

I scowl at Colton, still rubbing my nose. “So what? Because Ed called in, I'mb sick? C’mon man. That's- fucki'g… Hapt-SCHUUh! HaptCHUUh! Ugh. It's dumb.” The sneezes rip the shit out of my throat and I can't help wincing.

Colton smirks and I want to wipe it off his face by punching him, but it wouldn't make a fucking dent in this guy. 

“Bless you… asshole.” He chuckles, cracking his knuckles, “Now are you going to make this hard on yourself and interesting for me, or are you going to go home and watch shitty daytime TV and order in soup?”

“You cad't expect m'be to just drop everythi’g a’d leave. Do you eved’n reme’bber how to do ad’ny of this shit?” I growl through gritted teeth, hating that he is pushing me like this.

“Ransom's going to pay the guys for their normal time, but I'm closing us up and you're going home, Kade.” He insists, and isn't that look of fucking pity on his face just a kick in the balls.

“Fucki'g Ransom’b.” I snarl, but Colt knows that I'd do just about anything Ransom says. I respect him that much. He gave us a family, a life, a future… Hell, most of us would be face down in a gutter somewhere if Ransom hadn't seen something in us.

“Fucking Ransom.” Colt agrees with a nod, “C’mon Kade. This shit will be here on Monday. We'll handle it then.”

I grab my shit with a curse and leave, knowing Colt wouldn't stop until he'd pinned me and taken my shop keys. He is still smiling when I climb into my truck, sneeze again and drive off. I do feel pretty shitty. Maybe getting some sleep will help. Or some antihistamines.

End of Chapter One. Let me know if you want more of this. Micah's chapter is up next.

Edited by Guessagain
Posted (edited)

Summary:  Micah catches the same cold as Kade and goes to Evie for help. With his girlfriend, Holly, nearly 9 months pregnant, Micah is petrified Holly will catch it. Micah canonically can only get out 3-4 words in a row due to his Aphasia, this is due to brain damage that occurred due to his father abusing him when he was 8. He struggles more with getting his words out when under stress and uses ASL to communicate with Holly and his brothers and a few other characters throughout the fic. Holly escaped an abused marriage and prior to meeting Micah, experienced pregnancy loss, so her safety and health are a huge stress factor for Micah.

Disclaimer: As much as it pains me to say this, I do not own these amazing characters. All credit goes to Jenna Myles for these unique, incredibly human, flawed, beautiful cinnamon roll heroes and their badass partners/spouses.

Brief mentions of past traumatic events that are mentioned in the books, including: 

• Domestic Violence

• References to Drug use by a parent while pregnant, resulting in long-term health concerns about a child. (There is absolutely nothing illness-related involving this child in this, except for overly-concerned dad/uncles avoiding exposing her to illness.) 

• Assault

• physical violence

• pregnancy loss (brief references only as a past event)

• criminal history

• PTSD

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Survivors guilt

• Autism

Chapter 2: Micah

I set my phone down after letting the rest of the mechanics know that I won’t be coming in. They reply in their own ways, some joking and some concerned. Over the next hour, I get asked a few times if the promise of getting paid their regular daily pay is a prank. I am surprised that Ransom or Colt convinced Kade to close up the shop. I am relieved in a way, but I know things must be bad if Kade agreed to something like this.

I owe Kade and Colton now, I guess. I try not to feel like I’m letting my brothers down, but the thought still keeps running through my mind. My head is pounding and I feel like I slept with my mouth open. I fight the urge to text Holly and ask if I snored and if she slept okay. She’s grabbing brunch with Janey and Cara and Bree this morning though, so I want to let her have girl-time. So, instead I drag my sorry ass out of bed and head for the shower. I shiver as my bare feet touch the tile of the bathroom. 

I turn on the shower and grimace as I look into the mirror. “Fuck.” 

Fuck doesn’t even hint at the reaction I have to seeing my own face in the mirror. If this is what I looked like last night when Colt stopped by, no wonder he stopped me from going in today. I look 10 years older: two days growth of stubble on my face, dark circles under both eyes as well as creased lines that match the deepening ones on my forehead. The addition of the growing beard makes my normally tan skin look paler. I scowl at my reflection, before shivering again and stepping into the hot water. 

The relieved groan that escapes me is guttural. The water courses over my body easing aches I didn’t even realize were there. The steam floods my airways and lungs making the pressure in my head lessen. Before I can process the sensation, I feel my nose drip. I frown and wipe beneath my nose with the back of my hand. No blood. Then what the fuck? 

Suddenly, my nose is the one calling the shots and I barely register the feeling of a deep itch before it explodes.

HAESHHHUUH! HAHESSSH! HAESSSHHUUH!” My eyes, squeezed shut with the force of the sneezes, widen with shock. Those felt different than my normal sneezes, harsher and more forceful. Wrong time of the year for blooming plants too. In the single movement, I turn the shower off and snatch at the towel. No. No No No No NO! This cannot be happening. How the fuck was I this stupid?!

I can’t be getting sick! Not now! Not when Holly might need me at any time! Not when we might have to head to the hospital any day! Then a thought hits me with the strength of a freight train. I freeze in my rush to towel off and grab some clothes. Oh fuck... I feel the blood drain from my face. What if I get Holly sick… 

The icy feeling of panic floods my body and I’m scrambling into my sweatpants and a long-sleeved Henley, ignoring underwear and socks. I sneeze again, muffling each into my elbow in an effort not to spread germs around our bedroom. “HAESSHhhmf-! HAESSHUhhmf-!

I need help. Evie. I need Evie. She’s a nurse. She’ll be able to fix this or… tell me what to do or something! I need to keep Holly and the baby safe. I lose traction on the floor for a moment and nearly fall on my face, but I get to the elevator and ride it to the apartment floor that Colt and Evie live in. I hear Kade before I see him. 

HAPH-CHUUH!! HEPCHUUH! Fucki’g bullshit, is what it is!” He growls. I hear Becca and Colt laughing at him.

I skid to a stop at Colt’s door and scan my palm. It opens and I can see Becca, Colton, and Kade sitting at the kitchen island. Evie is sticking a thermometer into Kade’s ear and he’s squirming like a child. The first aid kit Evie has sitting open on the counter is bigger and even more well-supplied than Ransom’s. And that’s saying something…

“Kade, either you stop fidgeting or I will have my husband make you stop.” Evie threatens, her usually soothing voice hard and stern. Colt and Becca laugh again. 

“I’ll help.” Becca offers, snorting with barely suppressed giggles.

“Traitor!” Kade glares at his wife and lets out a whimper a moment later, as Evie takes him by the ear and finally gets her reading. I feel my nose start to tingle and press my fist to my septum to try to subdue the feeling.

“Kade, like I said before,” Evie says, in her no-nonsense mom-voice, “You are sick. You need rest. You have a temp of 100.7°F. You aren’t going back to work until you aren’t going to infect the whole-”

HAESHHHUH!” My nose interrupts at the worst possible time and of course with me it’s never just one sneeze, “HAAESSHhuuuh! HASSHUUH!” The sneezes rip out of me, drawing everyone’s eyes as I duck down into my sleeve again. I’m blushing, I know I am. Becca starts laughing again. Kade looks like a thundercloud in a human body with a pink nose. Colton looks concerned and comes over to me and brings me over to sit with them. I’m too jittery to sit though and I shake my head and scowl as I try to force the words.

“Can’t. N-Need Help.” I want to hit something. My Aphasia always gets worse when I’m stressed, it’s something I am working with my speech pathologist on, but today, I can’t seem to focus. Instead I switch to using ASL, counting on Colton and Kade to help translate. 

I woke up like this. I think I have what Kade has. I need the anti-germ spray and masks and as much hand sanitizer as possible. Holly can’t get this. I can’t get her sick. Please Evie.

Something in my expression must give Evie and the others a glimpse of my anxiety. Becca sobers and nods. Kade tries to swear but sneezes again, getting a smack on the back of his head from Evie for sneezing into his cupped hands. 

“HAPHCHUUUH! Ow, Evie! Fuck!” He whines at her rough treatment. She drops a box of tissues in front of him.

“Use these, not your hands, Kade or sneeze into your elbow. You’re how old now? Micah, sit. I’ll need to check you too and you’re too tall for me to do that with you standing.” Evie orders.

I sit, looking mutinous. I need to clean the apartment before Holly gets back. Not get a check-up. I call her name to get her to look at me, “Evie!”

Once she looks up, I sign, I don’t have time for this. Shit… Holly will be coming home really soon. I need to get that place clean before she gets back. Please I just need supplies.

Colt claps me gently on the shoulder and nods. It’s normally reassuring. I’m just as tall as Colt is, but his muscles have muscles, so he’s a hell of a lot broader than I am. 

“It’s okay. I will take care of it. I know I’m not your first choice for this sort of thing, but Zach and Jonas are at corporate today. I won’t let you down though, brother.” I am still as tense as a coiled spring. Yeah, either Jonas or Zach would be onboard for that. Jonas is Mr. Details, but hates germs. He’d have helped to protect Holly, though he would probably gag through most of it. Zach would complain about it, but he’s the neat-freak and he would help to make me and Jonas more comfortable.

Evie sighs and points to the cabinet beneath the sink. “Colt, disinfectant spray is under there, get the doorknobs, faucets, the bathroom, and the elevator sensors. Maybe change the bedding if you feel adventurous. Bring down the extra wipes too just in case.”

Colton grabs the supplies and heads out giving me a thumbs-up. I feel one knot of tension ease a little and my eyes go back to Evie. She turns to me and begins to palpate my throat beneath my chin, looking into my eyes and gesturing for me to open my mouth so she can look. 

“There’s no way to be sure Holly wasn’t already exposed,” Evie warns gently. The thought makes my blood pressure spike, but only a little as she continues, using the small ear thermometer on me as well, “But you’re only at 99.8°F, so it’s just a cold-” 

I pitch to one side into my elbow, “HAAESSSH! HAESSHUUH!” 

Evie can’t hide her smile as she passes me the tissue box, “Okay, just a bad cold. But, Holly is strong, healthy and has been eating and sleeping well and gets plenty of exercise. Even if she happens to get sick, she’ll be alright. We will all do what we can to make sure of that, okay?”

I grab a couple of tissues and wipe my nose with a frustrated sigh. “Hate… this shit.” I groan softly. 

Kade scowls at me. When he speaks, his consonants are all fucked up, “N’do shit. I dod’t have tib’me for this shit either.” It sounds like he gargled with gravel. 

Evie uses alcohol wipes on the thermometer and washes her hands. “Well, too bad. You both have to make time now. Rest, fluids, and nutrition. Wash your hands often and use tissues. Cold meds can help with symptoms and hopefully make you more comfortable in the meantime.”

Becca giggles softly and kisses Kade’s forehead, “Don’t worry, Babe, I’m ordering in soup and we’ll put on your favorite movies. It won’t be so bad. A couple of days resting and you will be fine.” 

I swallow thickly as Kade smiles up at her. I push away the thought of how amazing it would be if Holly took care of me. I feel worse as I consider how selfish the thought was. Yeah, having Holly kiss me and feed me soup and cuddle up with me and Minnie sounds just about perfect, but I couldn’t handle her getting sick as a result. 

Kade surprises the hell out of me then. “What do you think, man? Are you in?” 

“In what?” I ask, looking stunned. 

“M’bovies. Soup. Hangi’g out. It’s not like you wad’nt to be at home right, man? You’ll just germ’b up the place agaid’n, yeah?” He asks, crossing his arms with a smug look on his face. The smugness is replaced by a hazy look that Becca and I both recognize. I push a few tissues into Kade’s hands and wince as he reflexively pitches into them with another throat tearing sneeze,

Haph-SHHUUH! Ugh Fug’ck m’be!” He rasps tiredly.

“You sure?” I ask, hesitantly. “Seem t-tired.” I switch to signing, I don’t want to take away time with your lady, man. Are you sure? I won’t blame you if you change your mind.

Kade laughs and ends up coughing. “N’dah, if I’mb co’dembned to bei’g a fucki’g couch potato, I’mb goi’g to m’bake the m’bost of it. Watchi’g m’bovies is about all I have the edergy for right d’now adnyway if I’mb hodnest.”

Becca grins. “Hell yes! C’mon, I’m ordering Hot n Sour soup and Wonton soup by the gallon for you sickos.”

I have to smile, grateful to have Becca and Evie in my life and in Kade and Colt’s. I text Holly quickly.

11:01 am Me: Heading to Kade and Becca’s for a while. Enjoy your day out with the girls, baby! Love you.

A minute later, my phone pings.

11:02 am Sunshine 🌞: Sounds good! You deserve some time off! See you later! Love you too!

Guilt tugs at me. Maybe I should tell her I’m sick. But, I know her well enough to know she would probably rush home to try to make me feel better. I want her to enjoy her day, but I’m sure she will drop everything if she learns the truth. While there’s nothing in the world I want more than to be near her, it’s better for her if I stay away as much as possible. Maybe I can stay at Kade’s until she’s likely to fall asleep, then sneak back to sleep in my old room. 

Kade’s scrutinizing my face as if he knows something’s wrong. He probably does. Only Ransom knows me better than Kade. I keep my face carefully blank and grab a few more tissues and blow my nose to keep from sniffling all this crap back up into my face.

Kade gets up, looking exhausted. Becca thanks Evie and heads for the door. I follow Kade and wave to Evie.

“Thanks… Evie.”

“No need to thank me. Text Colton if you need anything, Micah. Feel better you guys.”

Kade makes a non-committal grunt but waves. He nearly trips into the elevator with a curse and I catch him by the shoulder and mutter, “Ok?” 

Kade’s reply is 100% snarky bastard. “I’mb just awesomb!” 

He sneezes a few times between Colton’s floor and ours, and I’m not confident he's keeping his germs to himself. I text Colt and ask him to sanitize the elevator too and follow Becca to their apartment. 

Becca is as good as her word, and within the hour, all three of us are on the modern black sectional sofa in their living room and eating take out soup. There’s a box of dwindling tissues between Kade and me and each of us has a comfy throw blanket. Becca put on the original Jurassic Park movie. Kade’s always loved that movie, but he’s already starting to doze off before the T-Rex even gets to eat anyone. 

Becca has Kade propped up on pillows on her lap and is playing with Kade’s hair as he sniffles and coughs. It makes me ache for Holly. I swallow, wincing as my throat throbs painfully. Becca notices and tosses me a bottle of cough syrup. I make a face. I know I made it without realizing it because Becca is stifling giggles. The giggles intensify as I man up and swallow a dose of the disgusting glop. I nearly choke on the shit and the look on my sister-in-law’s face is gleeful. I sign Asshole at her in ASL and she giggle-snorts. I drink the bottle of Gatorade she set out for me to wash away the taste.

I don’t remember falling asleep, but I wake up to soft whisper-yells coming from the kitchen. I flinch. Holly is here and is definitely not happy. I push the blanket off of me and stand on legs that feel like Jello. I feel cold all over and shiver as I listen from the doorway. My nose is prickling but I pinch it shut to try to stop the needling itch.

“-And you didn’t think I needed to know, Becca? Micah has been stressing out so much over this baby! And over me!”

“Exactly, Hol. Over you. That man loves the shit out of you and he worries. He was in panic mode when he came tearing into Evie and Colt’s earlier. The very first thing he did was to ask Colt to spray down your apartment with disinfectant. He didn’t want you getting sick, Hol.”

“But, he didn’t tell me? And you, my best friend, didn’t tell me?”

“I didn’t know he didn’t tell you, Hol. I promise. Kade offered for him to come and relax and to keep your place germ-free for a while. Honestly, I think he just missed Micah too.”

Holly is quiet for a long moment and I’m not sure why. Then she speaks, her voice low and gentle. “I understand Kade misses him. Micah has been with me most of the time lately. And I know Micah had good intentions. He would never deliberately hurt me, but he still treats me like I’m fragile… breakable. And that bothers me. Maybe more than him not telling me he was sick.”

My stomach feels like the bottom of the floor just dropped out from under me. I fucked up. Really fucked up. I should have been honest with her and figured my shit out. 

A moment later, I blow my own cover as a half-squelched sneeze escapes, followed by two more. “H’xt-CHUUH! F- HEH-AESHHUUH! HAESSHH!” 

Holly and Becca both jump and Holly gives a small yelp of surprise. 

I can feel my hands shaking, as I raise them and sign. SorrySorrySorry. I am so sorry baby. Didn’t mean to upset you. Just wanted you and the baby healthy. I fucked up.

Holly’s eyes scan me. I know I look bad when her big blue sympathetic eyes well up. And doesn’t that just gut me. 

“Holly. Dod’t cry.” I plead desperately. 

“Micah, I’ll cry if I damn well feel like it! If I’d hid being sick from you, you would be just as upset as I am now, if not worse. We are a team, Micah. I won’t have you hiding things like this from me. I love you so much!” She says, drying her eyes on her sleeve.

My eyes are stinging. I feel like I let her down. Broke her trust. Fuck. “Tell you. Pr-Prob’mise.” I choke out.

Holly nods and takes a few deep breaths, rubbing her round stomach soothingly. “We are going to talk about this, Micah. But, not now… Are you willing to come home? I don’t want to add to your anxiety about me or the baby. If we both take precautions, will that be enough?”

I swallow roughly and nod. I have to try. 

“Yes. Holly, Ok?” I ask, my voice rasping.

She nods again and I feel my knees tremble with relief. I turn to Becca and sign Thanks Becca. Sorry. 

“Sure thing Micah. I’ll let Kade know you headed back home when he wakes up.” She says, giving me a small smile. I nod, but my head spins as I do. I sway and my shoulder thumps into the wall beside me. 

“Micah?” Holly is looking at me with so much worry in her pretty face, “Are you okay?” 

“D-Dizzy. Colt help?” I ask as dark spots clear from my vision slowly. 

Holly quickly taps out a text and she and Becca ease me down onto the floor with my head between my knees. I feel Holly’s small hand go to my forehead and I nearly moan at how nice and cool it feels. 

“Definitely a fever. My poor love.” She murmurs, the tenderness and love in her words reassure me that we will get through this. 

A couple of minutes later, Colton arrives. He sighs when he sees me. “Looks like I get to pay you back for all of those piggyback rides you gave me after the hamster invasion, huh?”

I chuckle wearily and let him get me to my feet. Then he hoists me onto his back with hardly a grunt. “You good back there? If you barf on me, I will never let you live it down.”

I laugh but end up coughing into my sleeve as much as I can. “All good.” I croak.

Holly and Becca are both giggling at us, but I don’t care. Holly’s laugh is the best fucking sound in the world. Colt carts me into the house and quips, “Package for you, Lady, where do you want it?” 

Holly laughs. “Colt.” I warn, but it’s no use. He’ll listen to whatever Holly says.

Holly looks up at me and sighs, “Sick or not… I don’t think either of us will sleep well if we aren’t in the same bed. We’ll just end up worrying about each other.” 

I hate it. I hate this idea so much. I hate even more that she’s right. If I was in the spare room, she’d be sneaking in to check on me. On the couch, it would be the same. I wouldn’t be able to hear her sleep talk or soft snores or sighs. “Bed.” I agree reluctantly. 

Colton obligingly drops me into the bed with ease and gives me a fist bump. “Feel better, brother. Don’t be a dumbass. Text me if you need anything. Holly, if he gives you any trouble…” He cracks his knuckles and grins. 

Holly’s laughter is bubbly sunshine in sound form. “I will let you know if I need your help.” She promises. 

“Colt.” I rasp. His warm eyes meet mine. Thank you. For everything, Brother.

“It’s what we do. Rest up.” He waves and leaves me alone with my perfect, beautiful woman. 

Holly pulls up the comforter and tucks it over my chest. “Warm enough?” 

I nod and sign, Please, can you get me a mask and tissues? I really don’t want you getting sick, baby. Make sure you wash your hands a lot.

Holly lets me sign, watching patiently. “I will, but Micah… You have to try to believe me that even if I get sick, that’s okay. We have the best doctors, hell, my doula is a ER nurse who lives in our building! I will be fine. Our baby will be fine. But, Micah, I need you to let me help you right now. Can you do that?”

I tense up automatically, but I want to try to let her. My mind drifts back to how Becca seemed so at ease helping Kade today. Like she was happy she could make things better by taking care of him. Then it clicks. Slowly I nod, giving a small smile. “Yes.” 

She smiles back and cups my cheek gently, stroking over the stubble with her thumb. I hold my breath but savor the feeling. She drops her hand and gets up slowly, showing me that she will be careful. “I’m going to get a few things for you. Is there a book you'd like me to grab?”

I nod again, signing The new Jack Reacher novel? It’s on the table. 

She lights up a little at my request. I smile up at her when she returns. She tucked everything into a shopping bag. She looks so proud of herself, and it’s fucking adorable. She pulls out tissues, a few disposable masks, hand sanitizer, more gatorade, my novel, and a few bottles of medicine. 

Thank you, baby. I sign and slip on the mask and use the sanitizer. 

“Can I sit with you? I can crochet while you read?” She asks gently. 

I blush. I know I do. I can feel my face heating up. Would you let me put my head in your lap and run your fingers through my hair a little? 

Holly smiles like it’s Christmas fucking morning and settles a pillow on her lap, patting it gently. 

I lay my head down on it and with her tiny, delicate fingers carding my hair and the occasional fluttering kick from the baby to the back of my head, I fall into a deep sleep.

End of Chapter 2. I'm glad to see so many views! I would love to hear your thoughts about these chapters, Keyboard smashes and squeees are welcome as is criticism. Thank you for reading.

Edited by Guessagain
  • SleepingPhlox changed the title to My brothers' keeper Chapter 2/10 (Brash Brothers series) (M, cold, contagion, caretaking))

I'm not familiar with this fandom, I only learned it existed through this topic, but I am enjoying this VERY much.  I love the interactions between the characters, from the snarky banter moments, to the more tender ones.  The list of characters at the top is a really good idea and a huge help, even if I'm so scatterbrained I have to scroll up and check it over and over again. :laugh: But it does help those not familiar with the existing characters to keep track of what's going on!  This is some good stuff, I can't wait to see the upcoming parts!

When you can't even find vanilla fics, #niche af. Lol

Posted (edited)

Summary:  Colton starts to battle the virus he caught from Kade and Micah. But his family and his work will always take priority. Besides, Ransom said the trip would just be for the day... How bad could it be? Just do the job and go home. Too bad Colt doesn't do anything halfway.

• Domestic Violence

• Assault

• physical violence

• criminal history

• PTSD

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Survivors guilt

• Autism

Chapter Three: Colton

Given how much I was around Micah and Kade this weekend, I can’t really be surprised when I wake up feeling like shit. I massage my forehead slowly and sigh. Mondays are bears to start with, but today I have to get my ass on a plane and fly to Boston. 

Ransom’s expansion plans for Brash Auto Parts include a few new warehouses and garages in the surrounding cities. Most of them are similar to our old neighborhood or worse. We’ve put off this visit for nearly a month because I didn’t want to fly out for even a day. I’ve gotten so used to waking up with my girls that it makes me feel jittery to be away from them overnight. 

Ransom swore up and down and sideways that as long as Declan and I show up, put the fear of god (or the bosses) into these guys, make a security overhaul plan and follow up in a week to ensure compliance; we don’t have to be there overnight. It’s still gonna suck, but I’ve powered through worse. Of course that was before my world was turned on its head in the best way possible.

I sit up reluctantly, smiling when Evie groans beside me and snakes her arm around my middle. She is warm and soft in all the best fucking places and she is so damn beautiful, all sleepy and mussed like this. I chuckle softly and brush my thumb over the gold ring on her 3rd finger. I never thought I’d love marriage, love being a dad this much. But, I do. I do. Those were the smartest fucking words to ever come out of my mouth. 

I sniffle and rub my nose when it itches, but that just seems to make things worse. I duck into my elbow, turning away from Evie, “Huh-AHT-SCHUH! Ugh. Fuck.” 

I grab a couple of tissues from the box nearby and wipe my nose. Evie yawns and lets go of my stomach with a sleepy, “Bless you, Love. You okay?”

I reply honestly, knowing that lying to my woman is the dumbest thing I could do. 

“Yeah, but I think I’m coming down with something. Probably whatever Micah and Kade had. Well, have.” I correct myself. Both of them came down with a monster cold on Friday and I just had to play the hero. They are still feeling rough, but they’re mending thanks mostly to Becca and Holly. Evie hums sympathetically and wraps her arms around me from behind. 

“And there’s no way to have Ransom send someone else on the trip?” She asks, sounding like she already knows my answer. I chuckle and sniffle again. 

“Nah, just Declan and me. I will be able to get home late tonight though, as long as we get this shit done and done right the first ti-time. Huhh… Huh-AHTSCHUH!” I catch the sneeze in the tissues and throw them away.

Evie sighs and presses a kiss to my shoulder and then my cheek. “Bless you. Just try to push fluids and sleep on the flight if you can. Then I can pamper you a little, when I get off of work.”

“Don’t threaten me with a good time, woman," I chuckle, "I already can’t wait to be back here with you.” I reply, giving her hand a kiss. I get up and head for the ensuite bathroom and get showered and shaved. Evie washes up and uses the disinfectant as a precaution. Once I’m clean, I dress in comfortable clothes for the flight and pack the monkey suit I hate. Like hell I’m wearing that before I have to. Then, like clockwork, I hear my favorite sound in the world,

“Mama? Daddy?” A small voice says near our door.

“In here, Mia Honey.” Evie replies. A moment later, our almost 4 year-old girl is giving Evie her usual morning hug and kiss on the cheek. 

I sigh, trying not to look as fucking depressed as I feel right now. But I'm not stupid. She's was in the NICU for so long before Evie adopted her... Going through withdrawal from whatever her birth mother had had in her system while pregnant and then the heart surgeries she needed after that. Even if it's a fucking cold, I don't want to risk her getting sick if I can help it. 

Mia breaks away from Evie and reaches up for me, like she always does. I swallow back the lump in my throat.

“Hi Baby girl. No hug today for me. I caught Uncle Micah and Uncle Kade’s germs.” I make a grossed out face, making her giggle adorably, “You don’t want their germs, so I will owe you extra hugs another day, deal?” 

Mia nods and says, “Deal.” while patting my leg. Evie coaxes Mia into the kitchen for breakfast and I can breathe again. This fucking sucks.

I gather up my bag and stop only to wave and blow kisses at the door, “Love you both more than anything. See you soon.”

“Bye, Daddy! Love you more than that!” Mia yells, waving wildly.

“Bye, Colt. Stay safe. Love you.” Evie says, giving me a look that says she’d love to tug me back into our room and test whether you can fuck a cold away.

Their goodbyes nearly make me tear-up, but I still have to go.

I head down the hall and to the elevator. Declan is waiting by his car for me, wearing his hood and track pants and I shake my head. “Trust me, brother, You don’t want me in your fancy car right now.” I sniffle. My sniffles are far from quiet.

It takes Declan a few seconds, but then he curses, “Motherfuckers…” 

“It’s not their fault, Dec. I’ll try to keep my germs to myself. Are we ready to roll?” I ask, ignoring his glare.

“Yeah… but don’t be fucking dumb on this trip, Horsey. I know I’ve bulked up lately, but I don’t want to have to drag your ass back here. Evie will blame me! Your wife is scary as hell!”

I shove him for using Mia’s old nickname for me and I have to chuckle. Declan had been riding a skateboard indoors when he and Evie first met and she totally Mama-bear-ed him and threatened that if he rode that recklessly around Mia that she’d kick him so hard he’d taste balls for a week... It was hot.

I grin at him before sneezing a loud “HuhAHTSCHUH!” into my elbow that echoes in the garage.

He can see that his words are having zero impact on me and shakes his head. “You are fucking ridiculous! And gross!” He adds for good measure while we climb into my truck. 

About a half an hour later, we are climbing into our small private jet and my nose is running like a faucet. It’s disgusting, but I’m grateful that I won’t have to spend the next few hours miserable from sinus pressure. 

Declan stays as far away as possible. I can’t blame him. Our steward brings me a box of tissues and the orange juice I ask for with a pitying smile. I try to sleep, like I genuinely try, but between my nose dripping constantly and not being able to go 5 minutes without sneezing I just can’t drift off. My throat feels like I’ve been snacking on broken glass when we land 3 hours later in Logan Airport. I look out of the window and curse.

“Aw, fuck me...” I groan, looking at the dreary sleeting rain outside. 

Declan chokes on a laugh, but shakes his head, clapping me on the shoulder. “Noooo thank you!” 

I shove him and go to the bathroom to change. I put on the damned suit and the heavy wool coat over it. When I come out, Declan is in a sweater and slacks with a similar coat to mine over it. He can get away with it, fucking nerd just has to look smart. I have to look mean and intimidating. Admittedly that’s usually easy, but it’s way harder when I just want to crawl back into my sweats and sleep, and rubbing my nose raw won't help me look scarier. Unless these guys think Rudolph is scary.

I grab a few tissues and cram them into my pocket before following Declan off of the plane and into the waiting dark SUV. The wind chill is brutal and I’m already shivering as we slide into the car.

The driver is polite and says, “I’m Will. I hope you had a nice flight in, Mr. Miles, Mr. Wilder. We’re heading to the East Boston garage, unless you need to stop off anywhere?” 

Declan eyes me and says, “Yeah, Will. Is there a pharmacy nearby?” I sigh, knowing that Dec means well. I probably should have seen if we had cold meds at home.

Will confirms it and when we arrive my brother is in and out in five minutes. He has a pair of umbrellas in his hands too. He was always pretty clever. He passes me the cold/flu tablets and a bottle of water to wash them down.

“Thanks, man.” I say, coughing into a sleeve. 

“Don’t worry about it. I got you.” He says, and I can tell he means it. The trouble is that if he’s voluntarily doing shit like this for me and not complaining about it, I must look worse than I feel. That’s… not great.

The sneezes are coming less frequently, but they are toying with me a while before they finally come out. I sniffle again as we pull into the warehouse behind the garage. Boston traffic is no joke and the weather is making the roads slick.

I step out of the SUV like a badass and Declan scowls that I didn’t use the umbrella he got me. But, I’m here to look tough and like I mean business, not like a wimp or someone worried about getting rainwater on their fancy suit.

A couple of the guys come out to meet us and shake my hand before hurrying us inside. From there, Declan and I tour the building, talk with the managers and lay out a plan to ramp up security: additional top-of-the-line security cameras, coded gates and even a secured badge entry for the warehouse. 

Less than 20 minutes left in our scheduled time at the first garage and my nose starts buzzing. Struggling not to let out the loud ass sneeze that I know is coming, I press my fist to my nose, like I am considering Declan’s excited chatter about camera layouts and feeds. I manage to keep it together… barely until we pass the restroom of the garage. 

Ehhxcuse mbe for a second.” I sniffle and duck into the bathroom and bury my face in my damp sleeve. I fight to keep the sneezes quiet, and I think I mostly did. “Hh-MP’SHhhuh! Hhh-Huh-MP’Shhuh!

I shiver slightly and groan. Only now do I remember the low grade fevers that both Kade and Micah had during the first two days of their colds. I’m pretty sure that I’ve got a similar one right now. This fucking sucks. I blow my nose and wash up, making sure my face didn’t leak on my sleeve.

I join Declan at the entrance and listen to him get through the last part with how we will be following up with the operations manager in a week to ensure all the security features are in place and operational. The manager looks stunned at the timetable.

“We like this process to be thorough and efficient.“ I rumble in my best boss voice, “We will have installation techs here first thing tomorrow.” Once the manager signs off on the security plan, Declan sends a copy to Maverick and Ransom. We shake hands again and Declan gets us in the car before I can’t hold back the next sneeze.

Hhh-HUH-AHTSCHHUUH!” The sneeze seems to shake the car and Declan curses. 

“Fuuuck! Colt, I dunno about this. You sound like you’re getting worse, man.” He looks nervous and runs his hands through his damp hair.

“Look,” I say, frustrated with myself and the whole situation, “Ransom said “Get it done”, so that’s what we’re going to fucking do. We’ll finish up and then go home and I’ll sleep this off. But right now, we have shit to do, Dec.”

Declan grimaces but nods. “Fine, but, PSA: You’re a stubborn douchebag.” 

I choke on a laugh and cough before taking another drink of my water, “Trust me. I know.”

I wish I could say the rest of the day passed quickly, but I’d be lying. 5 warehouses and 4 garages in the fucking sleet. I'm freezing and my voice gives out completely as I finish the 2nd to last security debrief. This day has dragged me by the balls and I can barely remember my own name by the time we finish up in the last warehouse around 7:00pm. My throat burns and I can barely speak above a whisper. Declan handles most of the last security plan layout and gets the manager to sign quickly like the pro he is, with me nodding at the right intervals. I just try to look vaguely threatening as I sniffle and muffle a few sneezes when the manager is distracted.  

We shake hands with the operating manager and head out into the dark, snowy night. I sneeze again as Declan helps me to slide into the car. “Hh-HH’AHTSHUHH! Fuuucgk, that hurt!” I hiss as the sneeze seems to stab my throat, ears and sinuses all at once. 

Declan is sitting beside me now and offers me some more tissues. I accept them with a half-groan/half-sigh. 

“Let’s try to get some food in us before we get to the airport, alright Colt? You need something in your stomach for the meds and shit.” Declan says, looking at me funny. I nod, too tired and full of self-pity to argue the point. 

I refused to stop for lunch at noon, since I figured the sooner we finished, the better. But, Declan’s stomach is growling and he has a point. We pull into a fast food place and Declan orders me… something. I can’t really taste it or smell it, but it’s food. I eat and take another dose of the meds from the nighttime pack as we get to the airport. Declan is still looking at me like he’s expecting me to pass out. Maybe he does. Feels like a valid option just now. Being conscious right now is hell. 

Declan thanks Will and tips him well, as I shuffle towards the jet like a zombie. The umbrella feels pointless and my hair, neck and shoulders are covered in a light dusting of snow by the time we get onboard. Declan’s arm steers me to a reclining seat and I am only vaguely aware that he pulls my coat off. He gets a blanket from the steward and covers me with it. My eyes close as I savor the warmth. Something icy cold touches my forehead and my eyes fly open. “F-Fucgk!” I croak, recoiling from the feeling. 

Declan’s hand is on my forehead, despite me attempting to jerk out of reach on reflex. He looks really freaked out.

“Dec. I’mb fide. Just let m’be sleep.” My voice sounds like a rusty iron gate. 

He shakes his head. “Shut up, dumbass! You are so far from fine, it’s not even funny!  I’m not an expert like Evie, but you look like a fucking ghost and Colt, you’re way too hot!” 

I shoot him a stupid grin and his nervous energy cracks like an eggshell.

“You are fucking unreal! You know what the fuck I meant, Colt.” He smiles just a little and I shiver, drawing the blanket up more. 

“I’mb d’not diyi’g, Dec. Just n’deed sleep, brother.” I mumble, my eyes drifting shut again. Declan sits across from me, his eyes are intent on whatever he’s typing into his phone. His thumbs fly over the screen and I dimly register the tone of the family group chat from my phone in my pocket pinging repeatedly as I drift off. 

I wake to Declan shaking my shoulder and slowly peel my eyes open. I feel like my head is full of glue. My hearing is fucked too. Declan’s voice sounds like it’s coming from underwater. He helps me get up and my head spins. I have to lean on him as we leave the plane. His fingers snap in front of my eyes and I groggily blink at him, frowning. The way he is talking, I must not have heard him the first time or the first few times. “Colt, can you even hear me?”

“Yeah. Yeah, I hear you, Dec. Sorry, just feel like shit.” I admit, coughing into my sleeve.

The wind is so cold but it’s not snowing here. Declan gets me into the truck, climbs into the driver’s seat and cranks up the heat. “You’re mby favorite brother... Don’dt tell Johdnny.” I croak fervently. That makes Declan laugh, but there’s still a nervous edge to it. I close my eyes again and sleep the rest of the drive home.

It’s nearly 11pm by the time the truck pulls into the private garage level where we all park. I wake up to a hulking frame outside the passenger window. I shoot a quick, puzzled look at Declan, who looks a little guilty. Johnny opens the door and I let him pull me to my feet. He takes most of my weight with only a slight grunt of effort. He's almost as tall as I am and 18 years of working out in prison gave him the strength he needs just now.

“God Damnit, Colt, you’re getting too fuckin’ big for this.” He grumps with a low chuckle. Declan has our stuff and activates the sensor with his palm while Johnny wraps a massive arm around the middle of my back and pulls one of my arms until I can grip his shoulder. I feel dizzy still and my feet scuff against the floor and trip me, but my big brother doesn’t let me fall. 

Minutes later, Dec and Johnny get me into my own bedroom. I’m pretty sure I end up coughing or sneezing on them as they manhandle me. When I try to apologize though, they call me a dumbass or tell me not to. I give up and let them get me dressed like Mia does with her dolls. They pull me out of the wrinkled suit and help me into sweats and a t-shirt. Then, they help me into bed and it feels better than amazing to just be at home in my own soft bed. John’s rough hands tuck the blankets around me.

“We let Evie know you aren’t feeling great,” My older brother says, in his blunt way, and I can see the pink puckered line of the scar on his cheek shimmer in the light from the hallway. He looks better without the Franken-stitches. “She will be home in about an hour. Nick and Bree have Mia tonight. You just focus on getting better, hm? Declan and I are gonna stick around till Evie's home.”

I snap to the side with a rough sneeze, “Hh-HHhh-AHTSCHUH! …Dond’t have to do that…” I mumble.

“I know.” He replies, and it sounds like he’s smiling. Like he wants to be right here... I smile, eyes closing again and let my mind drift, knowing my brothers are nearby.

End of Chapter Three. Colton is far from over his cold, but misery loves company and Declan's next. Again comments, feral screeching, and criticism is welcome. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Guessagain
  • SleepingPhlox changed the title to My brothers' keeper Chapter 3/10 (Brash Brothers series) (M, cold, contagion, caretaking))
Posted (edited)

•  

Title: My Brothers' Keeper (Multi-chapter fanfic)

Summary:  Declan catches this from Colt as he drags Colton back home. Tries to be there for his brothers and goes to work, even though he is feeling less than stellar. When one of his brothers starts to take him for granted, Declan gets to serve up a little revenge.

• Domestic Violence

• Assault

• physical violence

• criminal history

• PTSD

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Survivors guilt

• Autism

Chapter 4: Declan

Colt looks like shit. There’s not really a nicer way for me to put this. Not if I want to be honest at the same time. I’m just grateful Joker- Damn, I mean, John- was around to help me get Colt upstairs. I always thought Colt was big, but his big brother is just as big as him. I’m no slouch, especially since that bet with Jonas, but Jeezus it was hard to get him into the truck. 

I watch Colt drift off of sleep and let out the breath I didn’t realize I was holding. Those driving courses I took over the years helped me keep calm on the drive over. I was honestly considering calling a fucking ambulance, but after checking in with Cara and my brothers, that seemed like overkill. He looks really bad though. Like really bad. 

I sit beside the bed on the storage ottoman, wishing I had my hoodie on so I could fiddle with the zipper to keep my hands busy. 

I glance up at John. He looks like an honest-to-god villain from a comic book with that scar. I know he’s trying at least with Colt and he hangs around with Janey and Jonas and that Abby girl, Maya’s assistant friend, but I really don’t feel like I know him yet. Besides that he gets pretty fucking stressed a lot. Whoops, he caught me zoning out while looking at him and he looks even grumpier. I look away, rubbing the back of my head. 

“Declan.” John’s voice is too deep for a whisper, it comes out more like a rumble, and I look back up and meet his eyes, “Thanks for texting me, man. I’m still getting used to this phone, and I know you could have reached out to the others…” He lets the rest stay unsaid, it seems to be just part of who he is, but I can tell that going to him about helping Colt was the right move.

“No problem. I just felt… I dunno, kinda responsible for all this? I couldn’t get him to slow down or do much more than take some meds.” I admit, rubbing my face and beard tiredly. 

“Stop that. He’s a grown man and a stubborn fucker. Always was. He pushes his limits. Don’t take his choices on yourself. This fuckin family…” He chuckles, crossing his arms and looking at the mountain of blankets on the bed that passes for Colt.

Even though it seems like he’s trying, I’m never really sure what to say to him. The guy makes amazing food though and single-handedly saved Christmas for us all. Mia already loves him, calling him Unca John, just like she does with all of us, and that counts for a lot. But I doubt video games or Pokemon or computer geek shit would interest him. We spend time at the gym sometimes, especially if a piece of equipment is beeping or flashing lights at him. I guess it’s a start. 

Still I’m relieved as fuck when Evie arrives. She sets her bag and keys on the island and heads straight into the bedroom where we are. John’s pose softens, his arms hanging at his sides. Evie smiles at John and at me and sits beside Colt on the bed and kisses his forehead, like we’ve seen her do to Mia a dozen times. She doesn’t frown, but gives a little sigh and gets to her feet. The woman is a machine. A twelve hour shift in the ER and she is still functional… I will never understand how she does it. She steps out of the room and gestures for us to follow. I obey, knowing Evie isn’t worried makes the worry I’d been feeling drain away. John follows, but with more reluctance, closing the door behind him softly.

Evie fills up her tea kettle with water and asks me, “When did he last take fever reducers?”

“About 4 hours ago. Before we flew back here. I made sure he ate, and he slept on the way back, but…” I trail off, still sounding guilty. John mumbles something and I’m pretty sure it was “For Fuckssake, man.”

I shrug, but Evie is nodding. “That’s okay Dec. I’m sure he didn’t make it easy for you either. Do either of you want some tea? I’m going to make myself some.” 

I make a face, shaking my head, but smile at her. “Nah, Cara finally has the night off and we are going to get a little quality time at my place before work tomorrow. Thanks anyway Evie.” 

“I’ll take a cup.” John says softly, sitting across the island from his sister-in-law. He looks like he’s still concerned about Colt, so I can’t say I’m surprised he’s staying. I wave and smile at them both before heading out and down the hall to my apartment.

Cara greets me as I enter, calling out to me from the bedroom. I nearly choke on my tongue when I see her reclining on the bed. She is wearing all black lace and satin and looks like my very best wet dreams come to life. Her blonde hair is down and frames her face perfectly and my dick is about to rip through my thin slacks like the Hulk ripping off his shirt. “Fuck, Cara…” I gasp in shock.

“That’s the idea, Dec. Get over here.” She orders with a sultry smile. 

“Yes, Ma’am.” I respond with an enthusiastic growl and climb onto the bed. 

The next day goes by like usual, nothing too exciting. Colt isn’t at the office, but I can’t blame him. I head home to change and get ready to spend some time at the gym. 

John and Nick get off of the elevator as I’m getting on it and I can’t hide my smile. John is carrying a pot of something that smells fucking amazing and Nick is grinning and insisting that he can taste test for John, just to make sure Colt will like it. John’s face is grim and set in a scowl. But I can’t take him seriously, I can’t… He’s got on pot holders that are shaped like fucking lobster claws. 

I begin to laugh like a hyena. John turns the scowl on me, shrugging the pot and its contents away from Nick before Nick can raise the lid on the pot. “Fuck off, Nick! Declan, shut the fuck up! Jonas burned holes in my other pot holders, fuckers…”

I wipe my eyes and try to stop laughing enough to breathe. Snorting, I cover my nose and mouth with a hand, as I snot a little. I try to wipe it away discreetly and not make a face. Gross.

John pushes past both of us and realizes too late that he can't work the palm sensor for Colt’s door with the mitts on. Nick and I clamp our mouths shut to hold back the laughter and try not to meet John’s eyes. It's not really working and we are snorting and Nick's lips are quivering. I clear my throat and ask, in my best Squidward impression.

“You need a little help there, Mr. Krabs?” And Nick fucking loses it. He doubles over, clutching his stomach and giggling like a loon. I am nearly as bad, until I choke on my spit and end up coughing for a few seconds. 

John is cursing under his breath and, at the end of his patience, finally snarls, “Declan, get the fuck over here and open this fucking thing. And shut up, if you wake Colt up, I will toss both of you out the fucking window.”

I open the door for him, still trying to control myself and he enters. We both follow him. Colt is propped up in one of the recliners and covered by a couple of throws. He's snoring like he's completely congested. The TV is on old Bugs Bunny cartoons. There's tissues nearly overflowing a small trash can by the arm of the recliner and a mostly empty tissue box in his lap… Right next to a bright pink teddy bear. 

John’s lips twitch slightly, but he goes and sets the pot on Evie's stove. Nick pulls out his phone and takes a bunch of pictures. I realize he sent them in the group chat as my phone, John’s and, unfortunately, Colt’s all chime and vibrate. Colt wakes up with a start. 

“Huh? Wha-?” That's as far as Colt gets before his nose twitches and his eyes slam shut. He clutches at a few tissues and sneezes like he is trying to expel his lungs through his congested airway. The sound makes each of us, even John cringe. Colt sounds awful.

Hh-HHhh-AG’HTSHHUH!! HAG’TSSHHUH! What… are you doing here?” Colt's voice cracks like he's going through puberty all over again as he tosses the disgusting tissues and slathers hand sanitizer over his hands... Germs or not, I offer him my fist to bump in greeting. He taps his against mine and turns aside to cough. 

John comes over to Colt and scowls at us. “I didn't want them to wake you. Guess you still feel as bad as this morning?”

Nick and I exchange a look. John was here earlier?

Colt gives us a tired smile. “It's fide. I'b glad for the cobpady.” Fuck, he sounds like he’s in a flu medicine commercial… 

“How'd shit go today?” He asks, coughing into his elbow, and away from us. 

Nick talks about persuading a contractor to make repairs and upgrades down at the Knight Street garage faster than they would have normally and I tell him about Cara bullying Ransom into getting her a shiatsu massager for under her desk for her feet as a reward for dealing with a particularly thick-headed logistics guy whose guys keep delivering parts to the wrong fucking garages. My woman is a ball buster when it suits her and will smile at you while she rips apart your over-inflated ego. It's so god-damn sexy. 

Colts laughs until he's coughing and fuck… I thought the sneezing sounded bad. That cough sounds like it’s battering his body on the way out. I wince. John’s mouth twists and he brings over a steaming bowl with a spoon and gives it to Colt. 

“Eat. Unless you want Evie and Mia kicking both our asses.” John rumbles. The soup is hamburger meat, a bunch of vegetables and potatoes in a dark broth. My mouth is watering. 

Colt gives John a smile and for a minute, he looks like he's young again looking at John with so much admiration and it feels awkward to see so much naked gratitude and genuine happiness on his big face. “Thagks, Johnny.”  

John looks embarrassed and waves off Colt's gratitude. He crosses his arms again and glares at Nick. “I almost didn't make it here with the soup… Nearly hijacked by these two dumb asses.” 

Colt smiles at that. “Brigig food idto this buildig is like paintig a target on yourself.” He agrees and begins to eat. The steam makes him start sniffling and even though I’m not as observant as Colt most times, I can tell his nose is about to cause him problems. Colt doesn’t even seem to notice. I wince as the sneezes come barreling out of him. 

Hhh-HhAGHT’SHUUh! HAGSHHhuh! Ugh, Fugck!” He yelps as soup sloshes out of the bowl and onto his hand.

Nick sighs and grabs some paper towels and I grab the bowl as Colt swipes at his hand and muffles another congested sneeze into the paper towels. “Hh-AGHTShhmf! Fuck! Just wish I could stop fuckig sdeezig!”

John’s whole body is tense, like he wants to move but he’s keeping himself from doing it. Colt blows his nose and Nick laughs. “Gross! Good thing Jonas isn’t here! He’d be gagging over that one. 

Colt gives us a tired smile and sits back down. I pass the soup back when the Family group chat pings again. And Again. And Again. 

Nick checks his and giggles. 

I can’t not look now. Nick posted several photos of Colt mid-snore, and our brothers and their women are editing the photos or making comments. I snort and try not to unleash my hyena-sounding laugh. I lose the thin strand of composure I have when Becca posts a picture of Colt edited to look like Bowser from Super Mario, breathing fire. I crack up, leaning on Nick and clutching my stomach. 

Colt looks confused. John glances at his phone and mutters, “For fuckssake, it’s not that funny.” 

I wipe my eyes and point at him. “Lies. It’s funny as fuck!” I gasp. Nick nods, chortling. 

Colt pulls out his phone:

Maverick: Oh. my. god. Yes! Becca, Picasso’s got nothing on you!

Nick: This is amazing!

Jonas: What program did you use Becca?

Becca: Just a transparent image I downloaded and put over the photo in the photo editor app. :)

Holly: Aw, poor Colt. Feel better! #Sickiesolidarity

Micah: Becca, this is epic!

Colt: Geez! Bunch of assholes in this family! Becca I will get you back when I’m not dying! :(

Cara: Please, you have a man-cold! You aren’t dying!

Zach: Still gross! Don’t come back to the office for a while!

Ransom: Take your time and rest up, Brother. We will hold down the fort. I’ll come check on you later when I go to pick up Mia from the hospital daycare.

That’s just how our family is with each other. And I love that Ransom’s added Cara to it so much! It makes our relationship feel more real knowing my brothers love her as much as if she were the little sister they treat her as.

My phone beeps. “Fuck. That’s me. I gotta head out, I have some digging to do for Ransom about a new group of contractors he wants for a project. Colt, feel better, brother. Nick, John.” I wave to them and head back to my apartment. Skipping the gym was worth it to check on Colt and I don’t regret it. 

The next few hours in front of my computers leave my throat parched and my stomach growling. I ordered a calzone from Gino’s around 9pm, but the taste wasn’t as good as it normally is. It seemed bland… but I still ate. Food is food. It’s been a long day and my neck and upper back are stiff from all the typing. I decided to turn in and flop onto my bed with a happy sigh. I text Cara who is having a girls’ night with Bree and suggest we go out after work tomorrow. I must have been more tired than I realized, because I didn't hear the beep of her reply and fell asleep, while the Avengers movie played on my TV.

The next morning I definitely feel off. My sinuses are achy and I feel tired even though I got a solid 7 hours of sleep. I hope I’m not getting sick, but the cold that’s going around is a nasty one. It took out Kade and Micah, then their women, now Colt’s sick and I was around him a lot. 

But, if I am getting sick, I need to get through today at work. Ransom needs the file on the contracting group and I have a few things I need to meet with my IT guys about today. I should probably check in with Colt’s team too, so he doesn’t worry about shit. Bottom line is… I’m going into the office today. 

I shower and dress in my usual T-shirt, jeans and my favorite hoodie, putting my coat on over that. I text Cara back and frown. She needs to head to her club for closing tonight. It seems like her crew is pretty short staffed from this bug too. I understand, but it still sucks. I wish her luck and try to satisfy myself that I will get to see her pretty face at work. 

Even though I’m plenty busy, the day feels like it’s dragging. Maybe it’s me. I feel tired and cranky by the time I’m finished with checking in with Colt’s security team and getting my guys through our meeting. My head is aching and I’m feeling my throat more and more, not liking the tenderness or swelling lumps beneath my jaw. Yup, definitely getting sick. Fuck.

But, I hadn’t realized how good my day was until it went really bad. Zach storms into my office, annoyed and fuming. I glare at him, giving attitude for attitude. 

“You and your team need to actually come down to marketing and do whatever the fuck you need to do to get the computers running normally again! This is ridiculous! I sent you 5 emails, Dec! 5!” He snarls at me. Zach’s GQ-esque 3 piece suit and tie look like he’s been fiddling with them all morning and he looks like he’s ready to tear his hair out. Normally, I’d just tell the fucker to calm his non-existant tits and go deal with it, but today I’m not in a great mood and his tone is really getting on my nerves.

I scowl at him. “I’ve been trying to get shit done for Ransom and deal with Colt’s team and mine! I don’t see you going out of your way to get your pretty suit dirty helping us out.”

Zach looks like he’d happily toss me into a wood chipper, if there was one conveniently near enough. He shouts, “Look, I am going full-tilt right now, trying to prepare my department for one of the biggest Marketing seasons and I am not a computer tech dork like you! You’re it and I need you! Right now! I can’t have my team work for hours only to have their drafts and submissions not save, or their computers going so slow that they take nearly an hour to upload attachments to emails!”

I huff out a sigh of frustration, and throw my hands up saying, “Fine! Fine, Asshole. I’ll come down there and figure out what’s wrong.” 

My guys are busy getting new tech set up in the finance and administration departments, so I’m the only one I’m willing to put through Zach’s temper tantrum. I pantomime strangling him from behind on our way out, making Cara laugh. That helps me feel a bit better, knowing I made Cara smile, but Zach is still an asshole. I contemplate how best to get him back for being such an epic douchenozzle as I follow Zach down to Marketing.

My nose starts to itch as I walk onto the Marketing floor. There are papers and draft boards everywhere and Abby, Maya’s assistant looks like she’s ready to pull the fire alarm to escape. I wave to her, and pinch my nose to stifle a sneeze that sneaks up on me. Loud noises will only add to the chaos and piss Zach off more right now. I regret it a little as my eardrums squeak. 

As soon as the marketing department realizes that Zach has brought me here to deal with the tech issues, they stop swarming around Abby and I get to see her sigh with relief before the mob swallows me whole. I deal with the slowest computers first getting updates running and recommending additional storage as needed. Then we move on to the file save error and I troubleshoot for nearly an hour, struggling to duplicate the issue and deal with my nose dripping at the same time. 

Zach is practically vibrating with impatience and it's making me testy. He finally leans his head towards mine and growls, “Is there any chance we can get this dealt with today, or should I just send my team home?”

The bite in his words is mostly frustration, but I'm not a customer service type of guy. I glare at him. 

“I'm here as a favor, brother, so you won't have to take a fucking number and wait for my IT guys to come down here. I'm one guy. You can either patiently let me do this or wait till tomorrow afternoon when my guys will have a little time in their schedules.” I nearly growl, sick of his attitude, and then I push away from the desk and say, “I'll be back. I need to step away for a minute and so do you, Zach.” 

I leave him, sputtering and being gently tugged toward an empty office by Maya who is working on calming her man down. I admire her pragmatic approach, but at this point, this is personal. Time to fight jackassery with jackassery. I creep over to Zach’s office, unseen and let myself in. Crawling on hands and knees to avoid being seen in the fishbowl-like office is a challenge. I'm not proud of my plan. Well, I'm a little bit proud of it, but resorting to germ warfare is low. Zach was pushing me around though and I don't want to be the bigger person right now. 

So I lick his doorknob. No joke. Then I force a few coughs out around his desk. I can feel my nose tickling again, and wouldn't it just serve him right if I sneeze on his shit too. I look up at the lights and the tickle builds making my face scrunch a bit… Let’s see Mr. Perfect handle the cold from hell. The sneeze explodes out of me and across Zach’s desk, keyboard and mouse. “Ihh-ISSSHHOO!

Satisfied that I have gotten a bit of revenge on the asshole, I creep back out and go wash my hands. I don't want to get the whole department sick, just my dickhead brother.

I head back to finish up with the save error issue. It takes about another 20 minutes of fucking around with corrupted files and rebooting but it saves all the changes. I muffle a few coughs and sneezes, accepting a few “Bless yous” from the marketing team as I give a few tips on compressing files and clearing cookies and caches. 

Zach is giving me the stink eye. He has his hands crammed in his pockets as he approaches. Either Maya just helped him relax in private or he is avoiding touching me. Or both. I sniffle and rub my nose with my hand just to piss him off more. “Well, Zach. Should be all set. You're welcome, fucknugget.” I say cheerily, giving him a shit eating grin. 

“Took you long enough, Dickwad.” He mutters and scowls. 

“I hope to god your face freezes like that. No more practicing your “Sexy man lips” in the mirror for hours.” I tease him about his model face pose that he used to use to get his way with ladies.

“Fuck off!” He growls at me, but there's no heat in the words now.

“Gladly. I think I'm getting what Colt picked up from Kade and Micah. I'd avoid the main floor until the air clears if I were you.” I leave, pausing only to watch him quickly scuttle back into his office like a hermit crab. 

I sneeze a few more times on my way back to my office. Each one feels heavier and more congested than the last.

Bless you, Dec!” Cara steps out from behind her desk, and comes towards me. My eyes nearly bug out looking at her. Fuck, she's so damn sexy right now and she knows it. She is hell-on-wheels in those red-bottom stilettos and that tight skirt. The crimson blouse shows off every generous curve and makes her look like a pin-up girl. She pushes the tip of my nose with a darkly manicured nail and gives me a teasing smile.

“H-hey!” I stammer and turn aside to sneeze again, “ITSHHhhoo! ISSHhoo! God, Cara… Honey, I'm probably getting sick. I don't want to get you sick too. If this bug took Colt down, I- mmmff!” 

My protests are cut off by Cara's lips pressing against mine in a deep, passionate kiss that disconnects every fucking thought in my head. I feel myself kiss back without hesitation and soak in her love. 

She's breathing hard when we separate and grins at me, nose to nose with me in those sky-high heels. “I don't care. I will need a night off soon anyway. We'll make each other feel better, won't we? Plus, I want to spoil you a little since you're not feeling well, Dec.” 

I know better than to argue. Instead, I grin back. “You're the boss.” I tease. 

“And don't you forget it, Declan Wilder.” Besides a few more kisses though and letting her bring me some tissues during the after work meeting in Ransom’s office, Cara lets me finish my work and focuses on hers.

The meeting is weird. Kade’s back, but he still sounds miserable. Micah is still at home with Holly, who caught his cold. Colt's not here and Zach is avoiding me and Kade, as is Jonas with both of them sitting as far from us as possible. John's not here, but we didn't expect him either. Ransom and Maverick both look worn out and Maverick looks a little defeated.

He's still tall like the rest of us, but he looks gaint and haggard. Between helping with prenuptials for our brothers, helping Cara after she was forced to kill her younger sister's boyfriend in self defense and the crooked DA went after her for being associated with us, and then helping John get out on parole, Maverick's been running around like a madman trying to take care of all the legal bs. It's wearing him down. 

Nick gives me a sympathetic pat on my shoulder and sits beside me as Ransom sighs and explains the difficulties he's having with the new construction project and how he's leaning more towards one of several contingency plans. We listen, except for when Kade or I cough or sniffle.

Ransom is the one with the plans and the big ideas. He took 9 foster care kids and made us billionaires. But, he's starting to look tired… and older than he ever has before. I know he'll figure this out, but somehow I'm more worried about him than the plans he's talking about.

Jonas adds a bit about the finances and Maverick about the legal side and then Ransom opens it up for the others. We all speak our minds, contribute ideas, but without Colt and Micah, things feel incomplete. Ransom rubs his temples and gives us a tired smile. “I think we're done for now. Go home to your women, rest up for tomorrow. And for fuckssake wash your hands!” We all laugh and the others head out. 

I hesitate just for a minute, looking back at Ransom. He pushed me to graduate at 13, then through college courses, then towards running IT for Brash. He has been even more of a dad to me than Cara was a mom to her sister Bree. He looks up at me and smiles. “What's up, Dec? You look worried.”

“Nothing. Just… Take care of yourself too, hm? Not just the rest of us all the time?” I remind him gently. 

He flinched. Actually flinched. The cold, calculating billionaire mask he wears like armor is gone. Now he's just Ransom, our big brother.

“Yeah. I will. Soon. Thanks, Dec.” He answers, but he doesn't meet my eyes. I have to accept that answer. It's all I'll get from him for now. I nod and head out, still feeling uneasy.

End of Chapter 4. Zach's comeuppance is swift as he deals with the results of Declan’s prank. I appreciate all the views. If you have time, drop a comment. I welcome questions, dialogue, criticism, and any ramblings. I love those. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Guessagain
  • Guessagain changed the title to My Brothers' Keeper Chapter 4/10 (Brash Brothers series) (M, cold, contagion, caretaking))