Sneeze Fetish Forum

An Aversion to Light (BG3, Astarion)

MidnightCatK

Hi everyone! I've been playing BG3 since the VERY early access days (2021ish), and it's been such a treat each time I play it. Astarion is one of my favorite characters, and I had this idea floating around my head after the game was fully released: 

What if a vampire, who keeps away from most sources of bright light, were to forget that they were once a photic sneezer?

If Astarion is suddenly able to walk around in daylight again, who is to say such a thing wouldn't be an additional surprise? Find out more what this could be like while reading below!

Note: This story is meant so you can imagine Tav being whatever sex and race you would like.

It's been only a few days since we landed back on the Material Plane. Upon gathering my bearings, I quickly found the githyanki I had crashed down with, as well as the half-elf I freed from the pod. Within the next two days, our numbers have grown to a total of 7. I've never been this quick at making friends, but all of us were aboard that nautiloid and left it with a parasite. It only made sense to suggest we all band together to try to find answers, especially as we all have unique abilities to lend to the cause.

Perhaps one of the most unique amongst us is Astarion. His personality is like a cat's; sneaky, chaotic, and yet charming. His wit is sharp, his tongue even more so with his quick quips. I've not known him for more than three days, and my feelings about him are quite mixed between intrigue and frustration. I've caught myself gazing at times, taking in the extremity of his paleness and trying to better understand him. 

Even now, as we sit around the campfire and enjoy bowls of stew, I let my eyes wander over to his form. In this firelight, his features are even more sharp. The light dances over his ivory skin, much paler than any humanoid that I've ever met. The waves and curls of his silver locks reflect the light. His ruby eyes shine like the hot coals before us. They crinkle at the edges as he laughs at a joke told by Karlach (he seems to love her bluntness). He always covers his mouth when he does this, but I know not why. Perhaps his teeth bother him, as I've not seen him eat with the rest of us.

As I ponder this last thought, my eye catches something I hadn't noticed before. The white, fine shirt that he's wearing has a lower collar than his doublet, revealing an old puncture wound on the right side of his neck. It looks as though something once pricked him, hard enough to leave a mark.

For all my sudden focus, I didn't react quickly enough to hide what had become me staring at him. He had clearly felt eyes on him and turned to look at me with an inquisitive gaze.

“Is there something you wanted, or just admiring?” He asks in a playful tone.

“Oh, I suppose I was contemplating how you keep your hair so neat after a day of travel.” I suggest (this was only a partial lie, as I have been curious). 

“How sweet. Perhaps once we get closer I'll share my routine with you.” He smirks, drinking from a bottle of wine he had found earlier.

Gale, sitting across the way, perks up “If you're looking for hair care, I can show you how I use magic to keep mine-”

“Chk. We are harboring parasites within our skull, and you want to share tips regarding personal vanity. Can you all not speak of something more useful?” Lae'zel interjects.

“Says the one with the snout of a bat” Shadowheart comments quietly over her bowl of stew.

Before things can further escalate, as they often nearly do between the githyanki and half-elf, Wyll quickly stands and claps his hands together, “Well, would you look at that! The moon is getting high in the sky, and that lovely stew Gale cooked has warmed me up and made me ready for bed. Perhaps it's best we all get some shut-eye and prepare to do all this again tomorrow?”

Grunts and murmurs of agreement follow, as we had discussed that we would venture further into the forest tomorrow to track down the goblin camp. Per usual, since he only rests through nightly meditations, Astarion volunteers to keep watch over the camp. I finish my bowl, thank Gale for the food, and slip down into my own bedroll beside the fire. A couple others join me at the fireside, the rest going into their tents to sleep or relax for the rest of the evening. Whether it was the soft crackling of the fire matching the warmth in my belly, or just general exhaustion, I drift off quickly. 

Morning came sooner than I had hoped, my eyes opening to the brightness of dawn peeking over the trees surrounding the campsite. Although I felt rested, I can’t deny my head still seems heavy. I deduce this to be due to it's unwelcome inhabitant. 

Sitting up and looking around, I notice that the others are all still asleep or in their tents. A rustling nearby alerts me to someone waking, and I turn to find the sound coming from Astarion’s tent. The two poles creating the canopy over the entrance had been moved, covering the opening. Perhaps this is for privacy while he is changing? I do not think much more about that, as my attention is drawn to his pale hand as it suddenly pokes out from inside the tent into the morning light for a moment, palm-up as if checking for rain.

“Astarion?” I call aloud in a volume where I thought he might hear me, but that would not easily wake the others just yet. He does not respond other than to withdraw his hand back into the darkness created by the thick fabric of his tent.

Getting up and taking a moment to stretch, I approach his space quietly and stand outside of it, “Astarion?” I repeat again.

“Hmm..?” The reply was soft and surprised. No move was made to open his makeshift door to look out at me.

“It's Tav. Just wondering what you are upt to.”

“Ah, yes! Just taking a break to freshen up and get dressed for the day.” He replies, sounding more like himself.

“Well, if you need the space, you can come out here to do so.” I offer, turning to walk away.

He playfully snickers from behind me “My my, quite eager to see me undressed, are we~”

I pause in my tracks, glad he can’t seem my reddening face, “No, I just-” I groan. 

“Not to worry! I'll be out in a bit, but you'll have to settle for whatever fantasies you’ve imagined.” He says in his smug, coquettish style.

For a brief moment, I consider taking some of the burning embers left from the fire and dumping them onto the roof of his tent. No, I don't want to harm him, and I don't know him or anyone here well enough to do such a prank. Instead, I roll my eyes and head over to our shared box of food rations, settling on a fresh apple to munch on as I pack up what I need for the day. Shadowheart wakes nearby, emerging from her tent and mumbling a quiet “morning” to me as she begins her own morning routine of a kneeling prayer.

Minutes pass before there is another rustle at Astarion’s tent. His hand parts the opening of his tent and he gradually emerges from his dark hideaway. As if in reaction to the brightness of the emerging sun, he quickly turns his torso and face from the light, standing in a position reminiscent of someone cowering “Hells!” he hisses through his teeth with irritation.

“Good morning, starlight! The sun says ‘Hello!’” I say, unable to not tease him back just this once as he covers his face with his hands. Evidently his eyes were having trouble adjusting to the light exposure.

He does not pay me any response, or even glance in my direction, but straightens up and begins briskly walking away with a look of irritation.

Before I have even formulated a reasonable thought, I find myself following quickly behind him. Had I offended him? How do you offend someone by pointing out it is a sunny day? Why is he pinching his nose?

Matching his pace from behind, I reach out to touch his shoulder in an attempt to slow him down before he walks further into the forest,“Are you alri-”

Hngh’xcht!” His head dips, his hand falling from his face during the stifled release, spraying the air in front of him. Before I can react, he twists away from my touch as if it offends him and turns to face me. His face red with embarrassment, he opens his mouth as if to scold me for following him, but no words are spoken. I watch as the muscles in his open jaw slack. His eyes gloss over and his slender nose crinkles with irritation.

I step aside to give him some space, which he wastes no time in using, freely letting loose two more wet sneezes, “Hiht’Choo! Eh-... Eh’tchoum!

“Blessings upon you. Are you alright?” I can feel my own ears burn with slight embarrassment at the concern in my voice.

He sniffs briefly and rubs at his nose with his knuckle,“Oh, I don't know. You see, there's a tadpole in my head. It's not exactly ideal, and I feel like SHIT!” he snaps, punctuating the statement by stamping his foot into the dirt.

I reflexively withdraw at his small outburst, which he no doubt notices, as he takes in a breath and lets it out in a sigh.

“Sorry, I don't like sneezing in front of others. Something about the brightness of the sun made me feel strange.” He explains.

“It’s okay, I was just worried. You looked so troubled.”

“We hardly know each other, and yet you are concerned?” He asks, incredulously.

“It’s called getting to know someone, or even building friendship. We're working together, remember?” I say, trying to remind him that we're all working toward a common goal.

At the mention of the word ‘friendship’, something changes in his face. He seems surprised, and all at once a little uncertain of things “Friendship? Is that truly necessary?” He jokes.

“Are you afraid of it?” I quip, finally finding something to challenge him on.

I catch him off guard again, but he recovers with that sarcastic smile of his, “What?! NoOOoo. Of course, I see it now. We’ll be the best of chums! Practically inseparable. Tonight we'll have to share a bottle of red wine to commemorate a bright future together of killing our mutual enemies!”

I can't help but snort “Okay, so you're not afraid of friendship. Are you now afraid of the sun, though?”

He pouted and crossed his arms “Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean I like it.”

“because it makes you feel strange?” I reflect with a smile.

He smiles back and clasps his hands together in front of him. “Yes, that is precisely it. Perhaps we should ask Gale, being that he is the resident fountain of knowledge no one asks for. Now if you'll EXCUSE me, I need to clear my nose, and I didn't pack appropriately to be abducted by mindflayers.”

Before he can walk away, I catch his hand and press a clean handkerchief into it. He looks at me, visibly surprised once more.

“Keep it, as a token of budding friendship.” I smirk.

Accepting the gesture, although still seeming a bit uncertain, he smiles back, “Yes, the best of chums.”

~ To be continued ? ~

If you like things or have ideas, let me know with a comment. I might have some ways in which I can expand this!

Edited by MidnightCatK
Fixing some of the type

I looooove this idea! Vampires being photic is so good. I would love to read more!

Ooh, I like that concept. :D Vampire being photic. :lol: I enjoyed your writing style!

Thirding the sentiment that I love the idea of a photic vampire! As I've said elsewhere, Astarion is exactly the sort of character I'm into, so seeing sneezefic for him is a treat. I'd love to see this continued, particularly after Astarion's secret comes out. But write whatever tickles your fancy!

On 4/5/2024 at 2:48 AM, Guessagain said:

I looooove this idea! Vampires being photic is so good. I would love to read more!

On 4/5/2024 at 6:05 AM, TheCakeIsAlive said:

Ooh, I like that concept. :D Vampire being photic. :lol: I enjoyed your writing style!

1 hour ago, Wig_Powder said:

Thirding the sentiment that I love the idea of a photic vampire! As I've said elsewhere, Astarion is exactly the sort of character I'm into, so seeing sneezefic for him is a treat. I'd love to see this continued, particularly after Astarion's secret comes out. But write whatever tickles your fancy!

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I get busy here and there, but I've got some ideas flowing. Here is another piece to help bridge between what I already posted and what is to come (it may take me a few weeks). This doesn't contain any sneezing, but is to help the plot move along. It takes place shortly after the end of the first part of the story.

~ Day 4: Early Morning ~

“Gale, might you have a moment?” I ask, approaching our resident wizard and smarty-trousers. He is already dressed for the day, pacing back and forth while perusing his spell tome. Upon my asking, he pauses and looks up at me with a friendly smile.

“Of course. How can I assist?

Although some find him over-confident at times regarding his skills, I have found he is always kind and willing to help in what ways he can. For that reason, I find him easy to confide in regarding things I don't understand.

“Well, I'm not sure this is exactly your area of expertise, but do you know much how our bodies react to certain things?” I ask.

He frowns in thought, closing his book and tucking it under his arm to give me his undivided attention, “That is not exactly my area at all. Is this regarding your tadpole? Have you noticed something new?”

I shake my head to dismiss his worries, “No- well, I don't think this has to do with the tadpoles. I was wondering if you've ever heard of sunlight making someone ill?”

The seriousness of his gaze softens as I explain that this is not a new symptom of our situation, his eyes flashing with a thought, “Ah, such as sunburn? I've seen many folks who aren't accustomed to the harsh light become as red as our tiefling friend.” he gestures over to Karlach, who is doing morning stretches with Wyll at her own tent, “If not that, I'm fairly certain vampires have a certain aversion to-”

“Erm, no, Gale. It's not quite that.” I interrupt, as I know that he will likely go on if not corrected, “I meant more along the lines of sneezing due to the sunlight.”

“Hmm…” The fingers of his free hand scratch at the stubble on his chin as he thinks for a moment, pacing back, and then forth. I watch, curious to know what is running through his head, but not willing to use my tadpole to invade his privacy. All at once he stops and snaps his fingers, turning back to me, “Now that you've mentioned it, I'm fairly certain I've seen others succumb to something like that before. I'm not quite sure, but perhaps it has to do with our eyes? You cannot look at the sun without squinting, correct?

I nod, wondering where he is taking this.

“And, from what I've experienced, we squint and scrunch our face up when we sneeze. There must be some connection for some people.” He steps back towards me as he speaks, obviously excited by his theory.

“Wow, I hadn't quite thought of it like that.” I say, smiling back. 

“Perhaps it's something that has had research done on it before, or we could ask someone who is afflicted with this condition. Have you been affected like this, or someone else you know?”

“Oh, um, not quite me. I've witnessed it elsewhere and found myself curious.” I say, trying not to appear uncertain.

“Is it someone within this camp?” He prods.

I am not one for lying, and I had not thought to have something prepared to answer this question. Undoubtedly reading my hesitation and facial expression, he smiles in understanding.

“Understood. Well, I'm glad you came to me to share your curiosity. Nothing like coming up with theories in the morning to ponder throughout the day. I'll let you know if I have anymore ideas regarding the matter”

“Thank you, Gale.” I say, nodding my thanks and turning to walk away.

“Of course, I'm always happy to oblige. I'll keep an eye on him too for my own notes.”

I freeze, glancing over my shoulder at the wizard who is looking over his spell tome once more. His face has that knowing smile. He's more insightful than I had thought.

~ To be continued ~

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, friends! Perhaps it's the fact that it's hayfever season that I've been feeling so inspired, but I'm happy to say that I've found a direction to take this story! I am anticipating adding at least one more part after this one. As always, I enjoy your feedback and suggestions.

~ Day 4: Noon ~

It is amazing the amount of things that can be accomplished when working as a group. The ruins that sit upon the coast where Shadowheart and I had landed had once seemed too dangerously full of vagabonds. Feeling more secure in our numbers, we doubled back and found ourselves able to pick off the bandits without expending ourselves or facing much harm. At the very least, we had easily disposed of all hostiles on the outermost perimeter. 

Leaving half our party to raid their belongings and keep watch for reinforcements, four of us (myself, Astarion, Shadowheart, and Gale) enter the ruined building proper through a hole we had created. Dropping into this room, we find ourselves amongst dust-laden bedroom fixtures that had been previously obscured by complete darkness.

“This place hasn't seen use in ages.” Shadowheart comments, carefully stepping around the disrupted areas of flooring. The large, stone block that we let crash through the ceiling of this room had not made an improvement on the condition of the place. The small bits of light that come through the hole illuminate floating dust motes, amongst other debris in the air. 

“Either that, or the local squatters just haven't kept up with the housekeeping.” Astarion replies with a hint of disgust. Nimble on his feet, he slinks into the shadows at the corner of the room. Beyond our entryway, everything was obscured by varying levels of darkness. Thankfully, he, I, and Shadowheart are all able to navigate without adequate lighting. On the other hand;

“Would someone be willing to light a torch?” Gale asks as he finishes descending into the space. He blinks rapidly, as if trying to make his eyes adjust more quickly, “Hells, I can hardly see a thing.”

I begin to pull out a torch and tinderbox from my pack, but Shadowheart waves me away as she steps toward him. Instead I turn my focus back to Astarion, who has turned his attention to the only door. I walk over and stand at the side opposite of him, watching as he picks the lock with a deftness that no morally straight person would have the ability too.

There's a defined “click” as he accomplishes his task. Before he can reach for the doorknob, I hear something and grab his wrist. He opens his mouth to object, but then he undoubtedly hears it too:

There are voices on the other side, and the sound of nearby footsteps. Whether or not they've heard us is unknown, but it's abundantly clear that we shouldn't draw attention to ourselves until we're prepared.

Since he is the more dexterous of us both, I release my grip on Astarion and motion for him to go quietly alert Shadowheart and Gale. As he turns back towards the center of the room to approach them, I watch as the shadows of the room shrink away from a sudden, brilliant light. My eyes sting as I look in that direction, barely able to register what is happening save for light emanating from Gale’s staff. It takes a moment for it to click that Shadowheart has used her magic to attach an arcane source of light to it, and even longer to notice the pale elf who is nearly bent at the waist before me.

“Gods!” I whisper under my breath as I lean over beside him, “Astarion, are you-?”

“-xcht!"

He stifles into his gloved fist with as much restraint as he seemingly can, hunched over on himself and quivering with shallow breaths. I gingerly place a supportive hand on his shoulder, but he arches out of my touch with a soft gasp that breaks his focus.

Eht'shht!" He partially stifles again, stepping back towards the corner of the room.

Seeing his reaction, Gale keeps his distance. Shadowheart moves closer to investigate, but I gesture for her to remain quiet and motion towards the door at my back in an attempt to alert her of our situation. As I do this, I hear the footsteps approach and stop at the other side. Following this was the whining creak of wood, as if someone had taken a seat on an old stool or chair just beside the entryway. 

Acting on instinct, I freeze. Gale and Shadowheart, watching my movement, do the same, but gradually arm themselves. Turning to Astarion, oh gods-

“Hih… heh-”

Seeing him fighting to fend off another sneeze, I decide to disregard all sense of personal boundaries between us. I take a large step towards him, putting him between myself and the wall that he has backed up to. There's a brief look of surprise amidst his tortured face, but I cover his open mouth firmly with my hand before he can make a sound at the sudden advance. I feel two sharp picks at my palm, but my focus shifts to his nose as he still breathes against my hand and his eyes flutter. I remove my hand and use my index finger from my other to apply pressure to his upper lip and under his nostrils, hoping this old trick will work.

For a brief moment, the light finds its way to his uncovered, open mouth. His canine teeth are longer than I thought they were, and there's a small droplet of blood running down one…

The view is gone in an instant as he covers his mouth with his own hand, seemingly out of habit. Although his nose twitches slightly against my finger, I feel the tension in him begin to ease. Moments pass and his shoulders begin to droop, his eyes gently closing. His breath steadies and he drops his hand, his mouth shutting with a gulp. Taking this as a sign that danger has passed, I remove my finger. With a quickness that startles me, he takes hold of my wrist in a grip strong enough to bruise. I look into his eyes, feeling my blood run cold at the way he's suddenly staring deeply into me. His eyes are alight with, not anger, but something I can't place. It is intense and unnatural, stirring deep within those pools of ruby, making me suddenly fear for myself. 

Before I can try to rip my arm from his grasp, he blinks and everything changes. All at once his face mirrors the discomfort and fear of my own, but that unknown something is still there. I can feel it lingering in the air between us. He let's go of my wrist and looks about to whisper something-

"HEHT'Chmn!"

We all look over at Gale, who seemingly had difficulty stifling an eruption of his own. Within seconds there are more sounds of movement outside the door and the turning of the knob. I step further away from Astarion as he draws out his daggers and hides at the side of the door, ready to lunge at whoever enters. Shadowheart lowers her shield and grabs her mace, approaching the door herself. Gale, seemingly, is already in battle with the dust of the room and ducks away while sneezing. As I finish drawing my own weapons, the door opens. No matter my current unease, it is time to take initiative.

~ To be continued ~