Sneeze Fetish Forum

How do you feel about medicalization of fetishes?

aceblues

In the U.S., "Fetishistic Disorder" is a diagnosis under the "Paraphilic Disorders" alongside Voyeuristic Disorder, Exhibitionist Disorder, Frotteuristic Disorder, Sexual Masochism Disorder, Sexual Sadism Disorder, and Pedophilic Disorder.

Among the likes of these "Paraphilic Disorders" used to exist "Homosexuality" in the DSM-1 (of 1952), then changed to Sexual Orientation Disturbance in the DSM-2 (in 1974), then "ego-dystonic homosexuality" in the DSM-3 (1980), then in the 90s was grouped only under "unspecified sexual disorders" before the DSM finally discarded the last traces of their medicalization of non-heterosexuality in their 2013 DSM-5 edition. These entries in the DSM editions 1 through 3 each legitimized broad ranges of conversion therapy "treatment" for these "sexual disorders".

My question is two-fold

1. What do you think about, or how do you feel about the description of having a sexual fetish as having a diagnosable mental disorder?

2. Do you think that continued attempts to apply the methods of science to our understanding of fetishes (and the world of sex and gender braodly!) is destined to produce repressive and purist/exclusionist attitudes? Or do you think it is possible for us to study fetishes without medicalizing, moralizing or problematizing them.

I'm pretty tired right now, so hopefully this makes sense.

For part one:

I don't think it's accurate to describe a fetish as a mental disorder, but I take issue with a lot of how mental disorders are defined, categorized, and diagnosed in a more general sense.

Part two:

I do think it's possible to study fetishes without medicalizing, moralizing, or problematizing them. I think in cases where those attitudes occur, it's generally more a case of getting what you're looking for. There are certainly issues with how things are addressed, and what things are addressed, but I see that as more society bringing those biases and letting it influence science rather than science creating those biases. I do think that with the way society currently is, there are potentially valid concerns that studying some things may result in them being used by people trying to eliminate or "fix" things they don't like. (e.g. finding a "trans gene" if such a thing exists[I sincerely doubt it does] could very possibly be used exclusionarily, or for eugenics). The core of the issue still lies with how people are interacting with the science rather than the science itself, and I believe those societal and cultural factors are things that can change.

1. It is quite disturbing to think that some scientists consider my way of expressing my sexuality a "disease," but then again, I would not expect anything less from our society where anything not shared by the majority is automatically labeled as "not normal" and ostracized.

2. Frankly, I would be equally mortified and curious if people started talking more about fetishes. On one hand, I don't have much hope for an empathetic approach to the topic. I do believe that we'd be placed in a special little box labeled "pervs", laughed at by the society, and misunderstood by the scientists as obsessed weirdos. On the other hand... I'd love to learn how the heck my childhood self suddenly found herself attracted to such an obscure thing.

Let me start with your second question: Generally, I believe applying scientific methods to understanding things is a good course of action. It obviously depends a lot on the motivations leading to that research, but as a whole it's a good way to make helpful discoveries. Think about the research on human sexuality done by Masters and Johnson for example. It helped people understand sexuality better and thus contributed to a healthier life for people around the world. As long as the science is based on a genuine will to help people by better understanding them then I think it should be encouraged. That being said, if the motivation for the research is a desire to prove an existing negative assumption on something then it can lead to very problematic results. Which brings me to your first question:

Sexual fetishes and kinks should not be considered a type of disorder or a mental illness. I think they are actually closer to a hobby than to a disorder. As long as those fetishes are directed towards adults and do not require inflicting any harm on people (including oneself) they shouldn't be perceived as a negative thing. If done right, a scientific research can even improve the way fetishes are treated and contribute to them being normalized.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:44 AM, TheUnicycle said:

I'm pretty tired right now, so hopefully this makes sense.

For part one:

I don't think it's accurate to describe a fetish as a mental disorder, but I take issue with a lot of how mental disorders are defined, categorized, and diagnosed in a more general sense.

Part two:

I do think it's possible to study fetishes without medicalizing, moralizing, or problematizing them. I think in cases where those attitudes occur, it's generally more a case of getting what you're looking for. There are certainly issues with how things are addressed, and what things are addressed, but I see that as more society bringing those biases and letting it influence science rather than science creating those biases. I do think that with the way society currently is, there are potentially valid concerns that studying some things may result in them being used by people trying to eliminate or "fix" things they don't like. (e.g. finding a "trans gene" if such a thing exists[I sincerely doubt it does] could very possibly be used exclusionarily, or for eugenics). The core of the issue still lies with how people are interacting with the science rather than the science itself, and I believe those societal and cultural factors are things that can change.

Basically agree with you on every single front!!! Like literally millions of others, I was medicalized for my emotional and mental distress and put on something like 11 different psychiatric medications over only a couple of years and because of that I feel you stronglyyy on the taking issues with our handling of 'defining' and dealing with mental illness broadly. 

I also have hope that we can change how our societies function in favor of more responsible use for the tool of science. It certainly has helped us just as drastically as it has sometimes hurt us.

Talked to a shrink about this once. They said it’s a disorder if the fetish causes the person distress and the person wants to be rid of it.