Sneeze Fetish Forum

Usnavi's Five Stages - (12 Parts)

angora48

If you don't know about In the Heights, you should - it's only the coolest Latin hip-hop Broadway musical around! Anyway, this is a fic I couldn't get out of my head, so I thought I'd share it with you lovely people! It gets to the "good stuff" a little slowly, so I'm posting the first two parts right away. No sneezing tonight, but believe me when I say torture is coming :) .

Title: Usnavi's Five Stages

Disclaimer: In the Heights is Lin-Manuel Miranda's baby, not mine.

Rating: Not 18+ (just some language stuff)

Summary: When Usnavi gets sick, he won't admit he needs a little help from Vanessa and his cousin Sonny.

Here's part 1.

“10:00!” Usnavi looked up at the sound of his cousin’s voice. “That’s it – we are outta here!”

However, Sonny’s words were punctuated by someone else’s; there was Carla hurrying down the street. “Wait!” she called. “Wait, wait, wait, wait!”

“We’re closed!” Sonny shouted at her.

“Not so fast,” Usnavi retorted. “Whatcha need, Carla?”

“Change for the bus,” Carla gasped as she slowed to a stop in front of the bodega. “I only have a 20.”

“Yeah – sure thing,” Usnavi told her, opening the cash register. “A ten, a five, three ones, and eight quarters, just for you.”

“You can’t at least buy something?” Sonny protested.

“Yo, shut up!” Usnavi told him. He handed Carla the change.

“Thanks, Usnavi,” she said, waving as she took off down the street.

“10:02,” Sonny pointed out, tapping his watch.

“All right – get outta here,” Usnavi told him. “I’ll close up.”

“Thanks, cuz. See ya tomorrow!” Sonny called, hopping over the counter and jogging away. Usnavi took off his hat and fanned himself with it. It was too hot. The bodega didn’t have A.C. and by the end of every day, it was all Usnavi could do to close up shop, wring himself out, and head home.

As Usnavi locked up, he mentally went over his list of things to do tomorrow. He had to order more ice cream sandwiches, the ice dispenser needed fixing, and he had to restock the newsstand. Looked like he’d be getting up early again.

And part 2! Not quite to the good stuff, but it's starting.

Usnavi awoke to the shrill ringing of his phone. He groped around for it, groaning into his pillow. “Yeah?” he murmured groggily, rolling over in bed.

“Yo, cuz, where are you?”

Usnavi frowned. He felt out of it – it was so hot. “Huh?”

“Where are you?” Sonny repeated. “I’m all alone here, and there’s a big line-up at the cash register, and the ice machine’s broken – where are you?”

Usnavi turned his head toward the clock. “Aw, damn!” he said. “I’m really sorry, Sonny; I’m on my way.” He hung up and stumbled to his feet. Hastily, he sniffed a few T-shirts until he found one that’d be passable and changed into it as he hurried to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

Usnavi never overslept. He was always at the bodega by the crack of dawn, always the second person on the street in the morning (no one’s day started earlier than the piragüero’s). As he spit toothpaste into the sink, Usnavi mentally scolded himself and tried to figure out how he’d let this happen.

Within moments, Usnavi was out the door, having forgone breakfast. He blinked as the bright sun hit his face and jogged down the street to the bodega in spite of the heat, trying to ignore the headache that was threatening to form behind his right ear.

“Hey, everybody – sorry I’m late,” Usnavi muttered as he entered his store. He wiped his already-perspiring brow.

“Usnavi, where have you been?” Daniela demanded. “I have to open the salon, and I need my café con leche.”

“Sonny knows how to make it,” Usnavi pointed out.

“Sonny can’t make café like you,” Daniela countered.

“Look, I’m sorry,” Usnavi told her as he moved to the coffee maker. “I overslept.”

And then, everyone needed something.

Café!

“Two waters!”

Pan caliente – I’m in a hurry!”

“Usnavi, why can’t I get ice?”

“Can I get a Twix?”

“Hey, you’re out of the Times!”

For some reason, things weren’t computing. Usnavi’s brain felt like mush. “Uh… Sonny, can you help the Rosarios?” he asked. His cousin nodded and got to work.

“Usnavi, there’s no ice!” Carla repeated forcefully.

“We have ice, it’s just that the dispenser’s broken,” Usnavi explained. “I’ll grab a bag from the freezer. You can get ice out of that for now. Sonny, keep an eye on the coffee!” He ran to the back and grabbed a bag of ice. “There you go – shit!” The hot bread was burning. He took the pan caliente off the heat and wondered where his head was this morning.

“I’m gonna run and get another thing of the Times,” Sonny announced. “Cuz, the coffee!”

The café was starting to bubble over. Usnavi cursed as he grabbed the pot and spilled hot coffee on his hand. Everyone was shouting; everyone wanted something. And it was just so hot. He couldn’t think.

After the morning rush died down, Usnavi collapsed into a chair, utterly spent. “Yo, what’s with you today?” Sonny asked.

“Nothin’ – I’m just tired,” Usnavi replied. At this point, his headache had most definitely decided it wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. It went from behind his ear up to his right temple, where it had settle into a rhythmic throbbing. The sunlight streaming into the store certainly wasn’t helping matters. “Did you send out the new order?”

“Yeah,” Sonny told him. “I’m gonna go get some stuff in the back – we’re gettin’ low on soda.”

Usnavi nodded. “I need to take a look at that ice dispenser.” Honestly, he’d much rather be sitting in the freezer. He used his hat to wipe the sweat off his forehead and bent down to grab his tools from under the counter. He had a sneaking suspicion the day was never going to end.

Hope you like it! More tomorrow.

Okay, here's part 3 - I always finish an entire story before I post it, just in case I lose motivation somewhere along the way. So, I can update quickly! Things are starting to build. :-)

“You take your lunch break,” Usnavi told Sonny. “I’ll hold down the fort.”

“Thanks, cuz,” Sonny replied, already halfway out the door and on his way to the vendor down the street. Usnavi rested his elbows on the counter and let his face fall into his hands, rubbing his forehead wearily.

It had been such a long day, and it was only 12:30. Usnavi couldn’t figure out how he could have absolutely no life and still be so tired. It wasn’t like he hadn’t slept last night or had gotten up especially early. Just the opposite, in fact. So why did he feel like he was ready to crumble into pieces on the floor? Why did it feel like someone was using a jackhammer in his head? Why did –

“You’re out of waters.”

Usnavi looked up and almost brained himself as his elbow slipped off the edge of the counter. There was Vanessa standing in front of him. She had on a yellow tank top and a blessedly short skirt. It occurred to Usnavi that he was staring as her and that he had no idea what she’d said. “Um, sorry – what?” His voice cracked a little on the “what” – he cleared his throat.

“I said you’re out of waters,” Vanessa repeated. “There’s just soda in here.”

“Aw, shit – sorry,” Usnavi mumbled, scrambling up. “I got more in the back; hang on.”

Usnavi ran and retrieved a new case of bottled waters. He fiddled with the box and pulled one bottle out. “I’ll put this in the freezer, so it cools down for you,” he said as his eyes darted nervously about the room.

“Thanks, Usnavi,” Vanessa replied, leaning against the counter. Usnavi tossed Vanessa’s water hastily into the freezer and fumbled with the rest. There was a lump in his throat.

“So, I head you were late to the bodega today,” Vanessa commented. “What’s up with that?”

“Huh?” Usnavi mumbled, looking up from the cooler. “Where’d you hear that?”

“Oh, please – I work with Daniela and Carla,” Vanessa pointed out. “Where do you think I heard it?”

“Right,” Usnavi replied quietly.

“Anyway, it’s not like you to be late,” Vanessa went on. “Is everything all right?”

“I’m great! I’m fine. I’m a little tired – that’s all,” Usnavi told her hurriedly.

“You sure?” Vanessa asked.

“Okay – I’m sure your water’s plenty cold by now,” Usnavi said, returning to the freezer.

Vanessa smiled at him. “I like it cold.”

Usnavi stepped back behind the counter. “69 cents,” he told her. Vanessa nodded and handed him a buck. “Out of one dollar. That’s…” Usnavi trailed off as he drew a blank. His head was pounding. It was too hot to think. “Um…”

“31 cents!” Vanessa replied. “What is up with you today?”

“Sorry,” Usnavi murmured, shaking his head to clear it (it didn’t help). He opened up the cash register and grabbed three dimes and a penny. “I’m a little out of sorts today. I must’ve got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.” An odd little smile crept across Vanessa’s face. “What?”

“It’s just that you went from great, to fine, to tired, and now out of sorts, all in about two minutes,” Vanessa explained. “What’s that about?”

Usnavi didn’t know what to say to that. Normally, he could think on his feet, but the heat and his headache and the fact that it was Vanessa were all working against him and he… “Het-SHOOO!” He sneezed. It had snuck up on him, forceful enough to make him bend forward. Thankfully, he had enough presence of mind to bring a hand to his face and at least halfway cover it.

When he resurfaced, Vanessa had a knowing look in her eyes. “Oh,” she said. “So that’s what it is.”

“No!” Usnavi argued. “There’s no ‘oh’ – what ‘oh’? It’s not like that. It’s the light! The sun’s coming in through the window, and I looked at it, and it – it made me sneeze. That’s all.” He could feel his face getting flushed.

“Uh huh,” Vanessa replied, but she wouldn’t drop the knowing look. “I better get back to the salon. Bye, Usnavi. Don’t work so hard, okay?”

“Bye,” Usnavi replied, wondering if he could just melt into a puddle on the floor if he tried hard enough. Vanessa gave him one quick wave and left. As soon as she was around the corner, Usnavi beat his head on the counter. He quickly realized what a bad idea that was and sank back into his chair, rubbing his temple.

Usnavi fumbled with his keys, struggling to unlock the door to his apartment. What a day. He was absolutely exhausted, it hurt his head to blink, and he was starting to develop a slight ache in his throat. Lethargically, he changed out of his sweaty clothes and checked and re-checked the alarms on both his clock and his phone. If he showed up late again tomorrow, he was gonna freak.

Ask and you shall receive! Sorry it starts so slowly, but just think of it as really long build-up to a good sneeze. ;-)

Part 4!

“It’s 6 a.m. on another hot, hot day here in Washington Heights, with temperatures expected to climb well into the 90s…”

“Beep, beep, beep, beep…”

The clock/radio and the cell phone did their parts to rouse Usnavi, but the sleep had done him much good. Usnavi struggled to push himself into a sitting position. His eyelids fluttered as his nose began to tickle. “Heh… heh… CHIUHH!” His head rocked forward to his knees as his caught a strong, wet sneeze in his cupped hands. He groaned and scrubbed his nose with his finger, coughing. Upon swallowing, he discovered that the ache in his throat had turned into a sharp pain.

Usnavi looked at the clock and sighed. He didn’t have time to grumble about this. The sun was already coming up, and the store was calling. Usnavi climbed out of bed gingerly and grabbed some clothes, sniffling hard.

Soon, Usnavi was on his way to the bodega. He’d found that he wasn’t hungry, so he’d just blown his nose, taken a quick shower, brushed his teeth, blown his nose, and headed out the door. “Hey,” he murmured to Sonny, who’d already arrived and was wiping down the awning.

Sonny glanced in Usnavi’s direction and stopped what he was doing. “Yo, you okay?” he asked. “You don’t look so good.”

“Yeah, I’be all right,” Usnavi said with a sniffle. “I’ve just got a little cold.”

“In June?” Sonny asked.

Usnavi made a face at him, then turned his head away and buried his nose in the crook of his elbow. “EhSHUHHH!”

Salud,” Sonny said.

Usnavi sniffed and wiped his nose. “Thadks, Suddy.”

“You sure you don’t just wanna stay home?” Sonny asked. “I could get Pete or someone to come help me with the store.”

“Doh way,” Usnavi replied. “That pudnk isd’t getting addwhere dear the bodega.” He coughed into his fist. “It’s doh big deal, Suddy – I’be fide.”

Sonny frowned. “Okay.” Usnavi and his cousin entered the store. Usnavi scrubbed his hands and turned his attention to the café. “Hey, did we get that dew shipbednt of ice creabe saddwiches?” he called.

“I’m stocking the freezer right now,” Sonny replied.

Despite feeling absolutely awful, the day was definitely off to the better start than the one before. Making the morning coffee before everyone showed up was always a relaxing task. It had an almost therapeutic effect.

When the coffee was made, Usnavi turned back to the counter and sank into a chair. “It’s supposed to be hot agaid today,” he commented, trying to show Sonny how much his cold wasn’t bothering him. “Sobetime, I have got… Hitch-CHIOOO! …Excuse be. I’ve gotta get an air codditodder for this… this pla-ace… EhSHOOO!” Usnavi ducked his head down and sneezed hard. When he opened his eyes, he was surprised to find a box of Kleenex sitting on the counter. He glanced at Sonny, who was attempting to whistle nonchalantly as he wiped down the counter. His eyes met Usnavi’s, and Usnavi gave him a weary smile.

It wasn’t long before the customers came. Sonny hopped behind the counter. “I can serve, cuz – you run the register,” he said.

“Thadks, Suddy,” Usnavi replied.

Daniela was first to the counter. “Café con leche, and get me one of those muffins.”

Usnavi nodded. “A buck-fifty.” He took his money and gave her her change, then plucked a Kleenex from the box and did his best to blow his nose with one hand. And just like that, the usual morning chaos shifted.

“Usnavi, are you sick?” Carla asked.

“Just a little udder the weather,” Usnavi replied.

“He’s got a cold,” Sonny added, slipping two slices of pan caliente into paper sleeves.

“Shut up!” Usnavi muttered.

“Oh, poor thing!” Carla clucked. “You should be in bed.”

“You need any Sudafed?” Daniela asked.

“We could stop by the drug store on the way to the salon,” said Carla.

“My mother always used to make me breathe in steam when I had a cold,” Kevin said. “Clears your sinuses right up.”

“Are you going to be warm enough?” Camila asked.

Kevin laughed. “Camila, it’s not even 7:30, and it’s already 85º out.”

“I’d fide, really,” Usnavi assured them all. “Dow, wha…” He grabbed a Kleenex. “Eh-CHOO!” He wiped his nose and sniffled, to a chorus of ‘Bless you’s and a few ‘Salud’s. “Thadks. What cad we get you?”

And so it went, with Sonny serving the customers and Usnavi managing the counter, occasionally pausing to sneeze or lob a balled-up Kleenex into the wastebasket. The morning rush was more subdued than usual. People waited their turn, and everyone had a suggestion for Usnavi: chicken soup. Hot tea with lemon. A warm bath. Tea with honey. Vegetable soup. A steamy shower. Usnavi’s neighbors could drive him crazy sometimes, especially in the morning with everyone was in a hurry and everyone needed something, but most of the time, they were just about perfect.

When Vanessa approached the counter, Usnavi shot a look to Sonny, who mercifully got the hint and took over. “Hey, I think we need to get some more Snickers from the back,” he said.

“I’ll go,” Usnavi said quickly, getting up and turning away from Vanessa. He muttered a quick “Thadks” to Sonny.

Sonny winked discreetly and turned his attention to Vanessa as Usnavi slunk away. “Vanessa, good morning! What can I get for a fine lady on a fine day?”

In the back, Usnavi rubbed his nose and sniffled. While Sonny had his annoying moments, he usually came through. Usnavi was just glad to be out of sight for a bit. He was feeling self-conscious enough about having a cold. He didn’t want to talk to Vanessa about it, especially after their conversation yesterday, when he’d insisted that he wasn’t getting sick. She’d known better than he had. She always did.

Hope you like it!

And here's Part 5.

“Oh, thadks agaid for coverig Vadessa,” Usnavi said. The day was winding down, and Usnavi was sitting while Sonny was straightening up. Usnavi’s body was telling him it was long past time to go to bed. “Thadks for all your help today.” He grabbed a Kleenex. “HetCHIUHHH!”

“Bless –” Sonny started to say, but Usnavi held up a finger for him to wait.

“AhSHOOO! …HitCHUHH! Eh… HehCHOOO!” Usnavi stifled a little groan and blew his nose messily.

“Bless you – damn,” Sonny said. “Don’t worry about it, Usnavi. You know I got your back.”

Usnavi threw the Kleenex away and coughed into the crook of his arm. “Yeah, well thadks addyway. I’be just really rud-dowd right dow, add I appreciate the help.”

“No problem,” Sonny replied. He picked up the wastebasket, which was practically overflowing with Kleenex. “You done with this?”

“Yeah – I’be good,” Usnavi said.

Sonny pulled the bag out of the basket and tied it shut. “You know, if you’re not feeling any better tomorrow, you don’t have to come in. I can totally handle things.”

Usnavi shook his head. “Dot by yourself –” he sniffled “– add I told you, I dod’t wadt Pete stepping foot id here.”

“I could too handle things by myself!” Sonny protested. “I know I was having a hard time when you got here yesterday, but it wouldn’t be like that. You saw how cool everyone was today – if you wanted to stay home sick, I’m sure everybody would make it work. And hey, you’re just around the corner, so if I had any questions or problems, I could just call you.”

“That’s dice of you, but dod’t worry about it,” Usnavi told him. “I’ll be fide id –” A short, hard cough interrupted him. He cleared his throat. “…Id a few days, add I cad suck it up udtil thed. It’ds just a stupid cold, Suddy – it’d dothig I cad’t haddle.”

Sonny sighed. “Well, if you change your mind, the offer’s still good.”

“Okay.” Usnavi looked at the clock. “Add it’s 10 – that’s it for today.” He smiled at Sonny with more energy than he felt; his cousin had worked so hard today. “I’ll close up –”

“No, I’ll close up,” Sonny corrected. “See you tomorrow. Unless you change your mind and decide you wanna stay home. Which I’d be totally cool with.”

Usnavi would have protested, but when he stood up, he felt weak, and he realized it might be better to just go home. He dragged himself away, wriggling his nose at a sneeze that wouldn’t come.

Thankfully, Abuela Claudia was out of town this week. She was staying with god kids or something in Brooklyn, and Usnavi was grateful for it. He loved his “grandmother” fiercely, but she had a tendency to overreact when he was sick. No, if Abuela got wind of this, she’d force him to stay in bed while she hovered over him and sang Cuban lullabies. Plus, he’d never hear the end of it. For weeks afterward, Usnavi wouldn’t be able to leave the apartment without hearing, “Oh, Usnavi, take an umbrella! It might rain today!” “Don’t stay out too late – you need your sleep!” “You look thin – are you eating enough?” Every. Single. Time. And Usnavi wanted none of that. He quickened his paces a little, anxious to get home and into bed.

When he got inside, Usnavi was too worn out to change. He kicked off his shoes, grabbed a roll of toilet paper from the bathroom, and sank into bed. He tore off a couple squares of toilet paper to blow his nose, then dropped the roll on the floor. He blew his nose until he could sort of breathe and then closed his eyes, eager to sleep.

Hope you like it!

Short update, tonight: part 6. Poor Usnavi. :razz:

Usnavi couldn’t sleep. It was so, so hot. The fan in his window struggled along, but it was no match for the heat. Usnavi felt lousy and dizzy and sticky and stuffed up and sweaty all at the same time.

Besides that, Usnavi’s cough was bothering him. He wasn’t sneezing too badly at the moment, but he was coughing hard and often without feeling any better. There was a tickle in the back of his throat that wouldn’t go away.

Finally, Usnavi got fed up. He pulled himself out of bed and stumbled to the kitchen, where he fumbled around to get himself a glass of water, coughing the whole time. His head was pounding. Usnavi drank the water down slowly, swallowing as gingerly as possible. It seemed to help; his throat didn’t feel so irritated. Usnavi poured another glass to take back to bed with him, along with a dampened washcloth for his forehead. He knew it was a cliché, but he didn’t care. It was just too hot.

Usnavi staggered back to bed. He set the water on the floor beside the shirt and jeans he’d long since peeled off and laid back down, pressing the washcloth against his head. It was a suffocating heat. The air was thick and heavy, and it felt like it was sitting on his chest.

Usnavi relaxed his muscles as much as possible, trying to will himself to sleep. His head swam dizzily, and Usnavi tried to imagine he was floating in a still, smooth pool. He was relaxed, his mind was clear, he took slow, long breaths, he… “HahSHIUHHH!” He sneezed loudly, the force of it propelling him to a sitting position. He groaned as he hit the mattress again; he was wide awake.

Short update. Now you're teasing. But don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. Short is better than none and I'm happy. :sillybounce: I especially love the part about the damp cloth being a cliche. Poor Unsavi, indeed. I love the way the story's going. Keep on postin'!

Honestly, it looked longer in my MS Word file - I didn't see how short it was until I posted it. Sorry about that! To make it up to you, I'll give you a longer update today.

Part 7!

Usnavi blew his nose for what he felt was the thousandth time today. He tried to wipe gently; his nose felt sore and chapped.

Luckily, today was a lot like yesterday. Everyone treaded lightly and was very patient. At his insistence, Sonny did all the running around himself. It seemed Usnavi’s main objective was to sit and reassure people who asked how he was feeling.

And yet, that was enough. Usnavi was absolutely drained, and it was barely noon. Sweat streamed down the side of his face, and Usnavi was a little worried that it wasn’t just on account of the heat.

“Hello!” Usnavi looked up. It was Camila, making her second stop of the day. “How are you, Sonny?” she asked in her motherly way.

“Hot,” Sonny replied. “What can I getcha?”

“Just a People magazine,” she said. She gave Usnavi a nod. “Usnavi.”

Usnavi force a small smile. “Buedos tardes, Cabila.”

“Still feeling poorly?” Camila asked.

“Dot too bad,” Usnavi said. “Just a sore throat add a…” He buried his face in the crook of his arm. “Ah-CHOOO! …A ruddy dose,” he finished weakly, sniffling.

Camila clucked her tongue sympathetically. “Well, you sound just miserable,” she told him. She reached into a plastic bad she was carrying and produced a sealed Tupperware bowl. “I don’t know if you’ve eaten yet, but after seeing you this morning and how sick you looked, I made you some soup.”

“Aw, thadks, Camila!” Usnavi said. “Buchos gracias, really.” He took off the cover and leaned over it before remembering he was congested and couldn’t smell a thing. “Looks really good.”

“Don’t mention it,” Camila told him. “If you don’t want it now, you can always warm it up later. I’ll pick up the bowl tomorrow.” She paid Sonny for the magazine and strolled away.

“Sweet,” Sonny commented. “You can always count on people to hook you up in the barrio.”

Usnavi grabbed a plastic spoon and dug into the soup. “Dabb, Cabila cad cook,” he said.

“Lemme try,” Sonny said, reaching for a spoon of his own.

But Usnavi shook his head. “Duh uh. You wadda get a cold?”

“Maybe if it means Camila makes me soup and a hottie like Vanessa is all worried about me, yeah,” Sonny replied.

“Trust be, you…” Usnavi’s nose was itching. “You do dot… you dod’t wadt th-this… Ah!” He rubbed his nose.

“Just let it out, man – you’ll feel better,” Sonny said.

“I’be tryig!” Usnavi protested. “Ih – it’s stuck.” He blinked a few times and tried looking at the light, but the sneeze wouldn’t come. A few seconds later, the tickly went away. “Ugh – dow I just feel stuffed up.” He reached for a Kleenex and blew his nose.

Salud,” Sonny said.

“I didd’t sdeeze,” Usnavi pointed out.

“Yeah, well, salud anyway,” Sonny replied. “You need it.”

Usnavi threw the Kleenex away and sniffled. “Addyway, you dod’t wadt this cold – trust be.” He sipped his soup.

“I’ll take your word on it,” Sonny said.

Something else Sonny had said finally registered in Usnavi’s scrambled brain. “Oh, add Vadessa isd’t ‘all worried about be.’”

“How would you know? You haven’t talked to her in two days,” Sonny countered. “Where you were in the back today, she was all, ‘Sonny, is Usnavi okay? He seems so sick – oh, poor Usnavi!”

“Shut up,” Usnavi said.

“I’m serious!” Sonny insisted. “She was totally pumping me for info.”

Usnavi rolled his eyes and then discovered that rolling his eyes made his head hurt more than it already did. “Whatever,” he said, turning his attention back to his soup. He didn’t need something hot on a day like today, but the liquid felt good as it slid down his aching throat. Though he couldn’t taste it very well, the soup had spices that were making his nose run. He grabbed a Kleenex and wiped his nose gently. Like Vanessa was worried about how he was doing. Yeah, right.

Vanessa’s eyes followed Usnavi as he ducked into the backroom. “I’m guessing he not feeling any better today,” she said while Sonny made her coffee.

Sonny shook his head. “He says it’s not a big deal, but you can tell he’s just miserable. I wish he’d just get to stage four already.”

Vanessa frowned. “What?”

“Usnavi’s got five stages he goes through when he’s sick,” Sonny explained as he poured the milk into the coffee. “First, he says nothing’s the matter. Then, he accepts that he doesn’t feel quite right, but he’ll say he’s not sick. He’s just tired, it’s the heat, it was something he ate – whatever. Stage three is what he’s in right now – he admits he’s sick, but he says he doesn’t need to say home. After than, he realizes that he has to take care of himself, but he says he wants to be left alone – you know, that he can handle it. Finally, he’ll ask somebody to help him out, or he’ll at least let somebody help when they offer.”

Vanessa smiled. “You’ve given this a lot of thought.”

“Hey, Usnavi’s been doing this for as long as I’ve known him,” Sonny told her. “Plenty of time to work it out.”

“So when does stage four happen?” Vanessa asked.

“Hard to say,” Sonny replied. “Stage three is always the longest. It’s the damn bodega. It’s Usnavi’s baby – he won’t leave it alone for a second.”

“Maybe he needs an intervention,” Vanessa joked.

“Maybe – he’s just too stubborn,” Sonny said. “I keep telling him I could handle things on my own, but he just tells me its not that bad.”

Vanessa gave Sonny a sympathetic smile. “Well, good luck. Keep me posted.” She paid Sonny for her coffee.

Sonny nodded, giving her her change. “Will do.”

Have a good day, everybody - thanks for all your kind words! :sillybounce:

Part 8 now.

Usnavi had begun to wonder whether it would be easier to just die. When 10 o’clock finally rolled around, all he could do was drag himself down the street and thank God Sonny was closing up – Usnavi didn’t have the energy to blink, let alone pull the grate down.

Usnavi wasn’t sure where Sonny was getting an endless supply of Kleenex boxes, but he was really starting to feel bad about all the trees he was killing. Besides that, his throat was aching so badly, and his face was practically dripping with sweat. If he didn’t shake his cold soon, he was going to go crazy.

“Usnavi?” Usnavi froze on the sidewalk. There was Abuela out on her stoop. What was she even doing here? “Usnavi!” she repeated, rising to her feet. Usnavi gritted his teeth and approached her. The old woman smiled at him warmly.

“I thought you were id Brooklyd,” Usnavi said, grimacing a little at the sound of his congestion.

“I decided to come back early – it’s Camila’s birthday this weekend, you know,” Abuela explained. “I feel as if I haven’t seen you in ages. How are you?”

“Okay,” Usnavi said, hoping to leave it at that. “Goin’ to bed – see ya.” He made move to get past her.

“Hold on!” Abuela replied. Once again, Usnavi stopped in his tracks. “Usnavi, I know you. Something’s bothering you – what is it?”

And then, Usnavi didn’t care anymore. He was just too hot and too exhausted and felt too bad. He let out a long sigh. “I’be sick, Abuela,” he admitted in a quiet voice.

“Oh…” Abuela murmured sympathetically. “Are you all right?”

“Doh,” Usnavi said. “Yeah. I bead, it’s just a stupid cold, but I cad’t get ride of it! I’ve had it all week, add I’be just so tired of it, add I… Ich-CHIUHHH!” He sneezed hard into his hands and groaned.

“Shh,” Abuela said, brushing his cheek. “Come on in and sit down, sweetheart. Let me make you some tea.”

Usnavi followed Abuela inside the apartment and took a seat on the couch, sniffling unhappily. Soon, Abuela was placing a warm mug in his hands and sitting down beside him. “It’s all right,” she murmured as Usnavi gingerly swallowed a sip of tea. “It’s all right, querido.”

“I’be sorry,” Usnavi said with a sniffle. “It’s rea… Re… Hah-SHOOOO!” He turned away to catch a sneeze in his shoulder.

Abuela winced. “Salud.”

Usnavi rubbed his sore nose. “It’s really dot that bad – I’be just so tired right dow – it was a log day.”

“Nonsense,” Abuela told him. “You’re perfectly allowed to feel bad – you have a bad cold. It’s no surprise that you’re miserable. But sweetheart, you won’t get better if you don’t take care of yourself.”

“But I dod’t have addy tibe!” Usnavi protested. “I gotta be up early every day, and it’s always busy id the store, add –” He cupped his hands over his mouth and coughed.

“Shh.” Abuela smoothed down Usnavi’s damp hair. “Usnavi, you can’t be there for everyone all the time. Sometimes, you just have to slow down and let someone else take care of you. Now,” she went on, rising to her feet, “why don’t we get you to bed? You need your sleep.”

Usnavi wanted to tell her that he could manage, that he was fine, and that he didn’t need anyone looking after him, but he was too tired to argue. Instead, he just set his mug on the coffee table, closed his eyes, and nodded. “All right,” Abuela said. “You get ready for bed.”

By the time Usnavi changed his clothes, brushed his teeth, and splashed his face with cold water, Abuela was busy in his bedroom. She’d set up another fan near the bed, but not so close that it would blow on Usnavi’s face and make his nose run. She brought Usnavi a couple aspirin and set a glass of water and a box of Kleenex on the nightstand – he didn’t know where everyone was keeping their own secret stash of Kleenex, but wherever he went, they just seemed to show up. Usnavi got reasonably settled under the sheets.

“There we go,” Abuela said quietly, stroking Usnavi’s hot cheek. “Feel better, darling.”

Usnavi was vaguely aware of something cool touching his forehead. He blinked sleep out of his eyes and looked up. It was Abuela, resting her cool, wrinkled hand on his sweaty brow. Falteringly, Usnavi tried to prop himself up. “No, no – lie back down, querido,” Abuela instructed, guiding him back down to the mattress. “You have a fever.”

Her words seemed far away; everything was fuzzy around the edges. “Yeah?” Usnavi mumbled dumbly, trying to clear his throat.

Abuela nodded. “You see what you get when you don’t take care of yourself?” she chided gently. “You get yourself a fever, and that doesn’t do anybody any good.”

Usnavi turned and pressed his face against the pillow. “Heh-CHIUUHH!” he sneezed forcefully. It made his head spin. Usnavi his face with his hands and sighed wearily. “You dod’t have to stay here,” he told Abuela. “I dod’t wadt you catchig by cold.”

“You should have called me,” Abuela said, like she hadn’t heard him. “If you’d told me you were sick, I would have come home sooner.”

“I cad haddle it,” Usnavi replied drowsily. He fumbled with the bedsheet and pulled it over his nose, stifling coughs.

“Yes, well, you’ve done such a good job of that so far,” Abuela chided, picking up his water glass. She helped him shift so he could take a drink without drenching himself.

“Thadks, Abuela,” Usnavi murmured and the coughing subsided.

“Of course,” she said. The old woman stood up. “Wait a moment. I want to take your temperature – you’re so warm.” She moved quietly out of the room.

Abuela Claudia returned to Usnavi’s room, carrying her trusty thermometer. It didn’t do her much good, however, as Usnavi had drifted off to sleep. Claudia couldn’t help smiling just a little at his tired face. She bent down, kissed his forehead lightly, and shuffled out of the room, leaving the thermometer on the nightstand.

I am loooving this story!!

There's something so relatable about it to me, maybe cuz I have an Abuela just like this and Usnavi sort of reminds me of my boyfriend :innocent:

Anyway, this is adorable and so well written!!

I can't wait to read more! :boat:

Thanks so much for all the comments, guys! I'm glad you like it - this was such a fun story to write.

Here's Part 9. Originally, this was the end of the story, but I decided to add a little more, so I've been working on that. Anyway, that's why it may seem a bit conclusive.

In the morning, Usnavi awoke to Abuela bustling quietly about the room. He coughed a little and grabbed a Kleenex.

Immediately, Abuela was present. “How are you feeling, Usnavi?”

Better than last night, but still pretty horrible, but of course Usnavi couldn’t say that. Not unless he wanted Abuela hovering over him all day, and there was no need for her to do that. “Dot too bad,” he told her.

“Mmm, hmm,” Abuela replied with more than a touch of skepticism. Usnavi shied away when she reached down to feel his cheek. “I told Sonny you wouldn’t be at the store today,” she said, catching Usnavi looking at the clock.

To be honest, Usnavi was all right with that. He’d expected as much, and the last thing he wanted to do at the moment was move. “Okay,” he mumbled with a sniffle.

Less welcome was the thermometer Abuela held up to him. “Abuela, cobe od,” he protested feebly.

“No, you’re not getting away this time,” she told him. “Let’s go.” Usnavi sighed and let her slip the thermometer under his tongue. His nose was tickling; he wriggled it a little and rubbed it with his finger.

Usnavi was so busy with his itchy nose that he didn’t notice Abuela pulling a Kleenex from the box. The moment the thermometer beeped, Abuela took it and handed Usnavi the Kleenex just in the nick of time. “Hah-CHIUHHH! Ah-CHIOOO! Hih… Eh-SHOOO!” Usnavi sneezed wetly. Having destroyed his first one, he grabbed a second Kleenex and blew his nose.

When he finished, Abuela was clucking her tongue. “102.1,” she told him. “I don’t want you going any further than the bathroom today.”

Admittedly, Usnavi couldn’t complain about that, either. Between the fan in his window and the fan on the floor, he wasn’t unbearably hot, and even though he’d just woken up, he was having trouble keeping his eyes open. “Okay, Abuela,” he said. “Will do.”

Vanessa raised her eyebrows when she entered the bodega and found Sonny at the counter by himself. “Where’s Usnavi?” she asked.

“Home sick,” Sonny replied.

While this was welcome news, it was a surprise to Vanessa. “He’s in stage four?” he asked.

Sonny shook his head. “Stage five.”

Vanessa frowned a little. “So what, after all that time stuck in stage three, he just jumps a step? What made him do –?”

“Like you said,” Sonny told her, “an intervention.” The door jingled, and Vanessa turned to see Abuela Claudia entering the store. “Hey, Abuela. What can I get you?”

More later!

Archived